ADVERTISEMENT

The official 2024 Olympics thread.

Pet peeve -- and I know there are lots of places where you can watch the Olympics if you want to see stuff bad enough -- but it bugs me to irrational levels that NBC only shows you gymnastics and swimming for basically two weeks straight. There are something like 400 events and a lot of incredible athletes participating, but it gets whittled down to two groups of athletes occupying countless hours on the main network. Wish they'd spread the love around a little more.

Many of these second tier events are laughable, but they get a gold star on their fridge before they go back to doing whatever it is they do in the interim. When is the 3 meter paper football kicking contest or the 3x3 Rubik's Cube speed event? The Olympics of today are watered down trash for the most part.

1984....221 events in 21 sports.

2024...329 events in 32 "sports"

Peacock is $7 and you can watch everything.

And why would you expect the prime time show to show anything other than Americans? A handball match between Latvia and Andorra isn’t gonna draw ratings here
Of course, you want ratings, but seems like you can do both in prime time, e.g., in gymnastics, how about showing some of the other women from other countries who are in medal contention, instead of all the US routine, they did it in men's gymnastics when Japan and China were neck and neck for the gold medal.

E and USA networks are covering along with some Peacock stations as well.

That's what I meant by "and I know there are lots of places where you can watch the Olympics if you want to see stuff bad enough."

Here's the thing. When you're married and your wife wants you to watch the Olympics together, you're watching NBC and those sports whether you like it or not. (j/k ... those sports are fine. What they do is amazing.) It just gets rammed down your throat. I jokingly refer to it as NBC's Quadrennial Gymnastics and Swimming World Championships.

Broomball was my favorite intramural sport. Ice hockey but with regular shoes, brooms for sticks and a big heavy ball. Games were played as late as midnight. Alcohol was involved.
Yep…I did my undergrad at Bowling Green and we had IM broomball, ice hockey and curling. All fun as hell!

I must be older than you. All we had was the basics (flag football, softball, basketball, maybe soccer & a couple others). I would have rocked hand ball, could throw hard and accurate and from all kinds of angles and body positions.
I was in college in the mid 90’s. It was a ton of fun…not many schools offer it now.

Many of these second tier events are laughable, but they get a gold star on their fridge before they go back to doing whatever it is they do in the interim. When is the 3 meter paper football kicking contest or the 3x3 Rubik's Cube speed event? The Olympics of today are watered down trash for the most part.

1984....221 events in 21 sports.

2024...329 events in 32 "sports"
1896 - 43 events in 9 sports.

1984 was also watered down trash.

Italian female boxer abandons fight with Algerian boxer who just 1 year ago failed gender testing for the 2023 world championships. Saying her (should have said "his") punches hurt too much.

I'm sorry, this is ridiculous! There are obvious differences in men's heart size, lung capacity, bone density, height and reach, and muscle mass, to women's. No change in anatomical-junk is going to change those differences. Even with the muscle mass, sure hormone changes can make it more difficult for someone that is trying to become a female to gain muscle, but the muscle they had before the hormones-in-a-bottle doesn't just disappear. Maybe they have to work a little harder to retain it.

I would hate it for the "real" women who this is their one (or best) chance at competing in the Olympics. But I think it would make a real point if every competitor going against what-was-a-dude just took a knee and refused to compete. But especially in something like boxing or a martial arts event.

I was in college in the mid 90’s. It was a ton of fun…not many schools offer it now.
So only a little younger, since I was in the late 80's & early 90's. First "in" Bowling Green (WKU) rather than "at" Bowling Green (OH), and then at UK.
I admit I didn't see what UK had to offer since I was having to work much harder in Grad school (than undergrad), although our small (20-25) Dept of Statistics Grad students did form a Coed Softball and Coed Volleyball teams, and we finished in 2nd in both of those, both times the Rec Dept finished 1st; not bad for a bunch of Stats-geeks.

Italian female boxer abandons fight with Algerian boxer who just 1 year ago failed gender testing for the 2023 world championships. Saying her (should have said "his") punches hurt too much.

I'm sorry, this is ridiculous! There are obvious differences in men's heart size, lung capacity, bone density, height and reach, and muscle mass, to women's. No change in anatomical-junk is going to change those differences. Even with the muscle mass, sure hormone changes can make it more difficult for someone that is trying to become a female to gain muscle, but the muscle they had before the hormones-in-a-bottle doesn't just disappear. Maybe they have to work a little harder to retain it.

I would hate it for the "real" women who this is their one (or best) chance at competing in the Olympics. But I think it would make a real point if every competitor going against what-was-a-dude just took a knee and refused to compete. But especially in something like boxing or a martial arts event.

I hate it.. but you know what, women voted for this. And it seems they aren't learning their lesson for the election this November.

Yes, it's silly but not everything in the literal world needs to revolve around US politics and our elections. There's controversy between an Italian and an Algerian in France so let's blame women in general and loop in our national election in Nov. into it.

Women don't need to "learn their lesson" just because they might not vote exactly how you'll vote. Good lord...

Reactions: Tskware and Mossip
Yes, it's silly but not everything in the literal world needs to revolve around US politics and our elections. There's controversy between an Italian and an Algerian in France so let's blame women in general and loop in our national election in Nov. into it.

Women don't need to "learn their lesson" just because they might not vote exactly how you'll vote. Good lord...
Pot meet kettle.

“I challenge your opinion because I don’t agree with your politics. And I’m right. I just know I am.”

🤡

Katie Ledecky brought another gold home, and the rowing team brought gold for the first time since 1960. Women’s gymnastics all around is going on right now. Both Americans have previously won gold in this event

Mel Gibson America GIF

You didn't post but once in this thread. Not about the opening ceremonies, not about the events, nothing. You seemingly had zero interest in these Olympics across the board.

Yet, there you are, once politics gets involved.

So it really does seem like all you do is just go thread to thread, scanning them, to make sure conservatives (the general makeup of the Paddock, btw), don't get to talking about like-minded ideologies. What a weird existence..

Edit: It's also really odd that you don't gatekeep like this for your own political party. So Odd.. Oh well, I'm sure some day soon you'll tell Dion or Sammy or Stan to "cut the politics"... any day now.

Last edited:
You didn't post but once in this thread. Not about the opening ceremonies, not about the events, nothing. You seemingly had zero interest in these Olympics across the board.

Yet, there you are, once politics gets involved.

So it really does seem like all you do is just go thread to thread, scanning them, to make sure conservatives (the general makeup of the Paddock, btw), don't get to talking about like-minded ideologies. What a weird existence..
Or I'm just responding with my opinion which is fine to do. I'm not going to stay in one thread, like the wrestling thread and not post my general thoughts in other threads. If you don't like that, ignore me. It's fine. "Shaming" me while others, including yourself, can post whatever you like isn't going to work lol.

You and a couple others have taken this too personally to a point that I could post "lovely day!" and suddenly you've got the knives out, so to speak. Chill. It'll be okay.

Or I'm just responding with my opinion which is fine to do. I'm not going to stay in one thread, like the wrestling thread and not post my general thoughts in other threads. If you don't like that, ignore me. It's fine. "Shaming" me while others, including yourself, can post whatever you like isn't going to work lol.

You and a couple others have taken this too personally to a point that I could post "lovely day!" and suddenly you've got the knives out, so to speak. Chill. It'll be okay.

You were the one seemingly hurt to begin with lol. In fact, you didn't even care to discuss the actual topic aside from "it's silly". You just went right into your "Conservatives = bad" take that you do in every thread. I mean, at least the rest of us can talk about various topics. Your entire persona here is poo-pooing republicans.

I don't have a problem with you disagreeing and thinking I'm over exaggerating, so long as you don't have a problem with us laughing at you trying to gate keep. As you said "Chill. It'll be ok".

Last edited:
You were the one seemingly hurt to begin with lol. In fact, you didn't even care to discuss the actual topic aside from "it's silly". You just went right into your "Conservatives = bad" take that you do in every thread. I mean, at least the rest of us can talk about various topics. Your entire persona here is poo-pooing republicans.

I don't have a problem with you disagreeing and thinking I'm over exaggerating, so long as you don't have a problem with us laughing at you trying to gate keep. As you said "Chill. It'll be ok".
I disagreed with your take and thought that seemingly blaming all women in general was a little odd and don't know what our election has to do with what happened, which again, I said was silly.

If you, or Ida, or Stout, or Austin can post your opinions, so can I. We're UK fans on a message board with thoughts, that's all. Geez.

I disagreed with your take and thought that seemingly blaming all women in general was a little odd and don't know what our election has to do with what happened, which again, I said was silly.

If you, or Ida, or Stout, or Austin can post your opinions, so can I. We're UK fans on a message board with thoughts, that's all. Geez.

I'm glad we're in agreement then. It's really just opinions at the end of the day, right?

8yz7qn.jpg

Reactions: Stan the caddy
Correct. So odd my single post of opinion turned into all this while others have posted their opinions, including political ones, and all was well. Kinda my point. Don't pick out randoms to have internet "feuds" with. It's weird.

Shes not trans, she was born a woman and lived her whole life as a woman

"Despite reaching the final of the World Championships in March 2023, Khelif was disqualified just before the bout for "medical reasons."

In the weeks that followed, it emerged that Khelif was removed from the competition after drug tests confirmed high levels of testosterone.

Following this incident, IBA president Umar Kremlev stated that these results proved that Khelif and other female athletes with elevated levels of testosterone carried male chromosomes."

IBA doesn’t do Olympic boxing anymore because they were fixing matches for countries that financially back them. Shady stuff. IOC took it back over, so I don’t trust them. People should google IBA+Olympics and judge for themselves.

Anyway, IOC statement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT