ADVERTISEMENT

The official 2024 Olympics thread.

Pet peeve -- and I know there are lots of places where you can watch the Olympics if you want to see stuff bad enough -- but it bugs me to irrational levels that NBC only shows you gymnastics and swimming for basically two weeks straight. There are something like 400 events and a lot of incredible athletes participating, but it gets whittled down to two groups of athletes occupying countless hours on the main network. Wish they'd spread the love around a little more.

Many of these second tier events are laughable, but they get a gold star on their fridge before they go back to doing whatever it is they do in the interim. When is the 3 meter paper football kicking contest or the 3x3 Rubik's Cube speed event? The Olympics of today are watered down trash for the most part.

1984....221 events in 21 sports.

2024...329 events in 32 "sports"

Peacock is $7 and you can watch everything.

And why would you expect the prime time show to show anything other than Americans? A handball match between Latvia and Andorra isn’t gonna draw ratings here
Of course, you want ratings, but seems like you can do both in prime time, e.g., in gymnastics, how about showing some of the other women from other countries who are in medal contention, instead of all the US routine, they did it in men's gymnastics when Japan and China were neck and neck for the gold medal.

E and USA networks are covering along with some Peacock stations as well.

That's what I meant by "and I know there are lots of places where you can watch the Olympics if you want to see stuff bad enough."

Here's the thing. When you're married and your wife wants you to watch the Olympics together, you're watching NBC and those sports whether you like it or not. (j/k ... those sports are fine. What they do is amazing.) It just gets rammed down your throat. I jokingly refer to it as NBC's Quadrennial Gymnastics and Swimming World Championships.

Reactions: Stan the caddy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT