ADVERTISEMENT

The new normal

This is going to take some time getting used to for all of us.
One thing that Cal brought us was constant commitments from the highest rated players out of high school. And he was VERY good at it, so good even Big Z does not even understand he would be perfect here in Popes system and Cal misused him last system and that won't change (no matter what spill he sold him).

Things to understand going forward:
  • When we get a guy now we are looking at long term 3-4 year commitments, we have to think it through and that may take some time.
  • The top rated classes are gone, and the hype around them also gone
  • Fast quick fix news are a thing of the past.
Short term high risk investments can work but as we can tell lately they can also bust and bust hard, but long term investments have a much HIGHER success rate and we have to be patient for it to work but it WILL work.
Honestly, none of us know what the new normal will be. It will reveal itself over time. I think we saw enough of the old normal to know that just about every year we were going to left disappointed. I welcome the change, I welcome us going after guys that want to be here. I think the best way to build a championship program is stability in the type of athletes that come here and develop. Some will develop faster than others, we may still have one and dones. We are the premier program in college basketball history. If you bring a kid here, show him the support, show him the video from Sunday and he’s still not impressed? He’s too stupid to play here anyways. I borrow that line from one of our former coaches.

I get that and the fact Cal got him over here and Z trusts him.

But the guy could have DOMINATED in Pope's system. He would have been a wonderful Point-Center
I don’t disagree, but being a wonderful point-center is not his goal.

I just cannot wrap my mind around Big Z not seeing his potential under Pope vs what Cal is pumping in his brain. I mean he seems a bit goofy (no offense to him) and slow but anyone can look at the 2 and see the better fit. Plus what UK did to get him here was not CAL but UK add in what we can do for him in NIL would be double what the hogs can do.

You make the assumption that it was completely his decision or that he was asked to stay.

Reactions: WildcatforLife1965
It's seems like some on this board think it's back to 1990s college basketball since we hired Pope.

- One and done is still a thing, don't think UK won't still have those (exhibit a: Reed Sheppard)
- Transfer Portal is still a thing, guys will leave or be recruited over

We might not have a coach who will actively push them out the door or recruit over them after a year, but our best players will probably still go pro the moment that big payday gets promised.

I'm just hoping this leads to less stupid NBA draft decisions like Ugo's long term. I still don't see a world where guys like Rob Dillingham come back.

I would hope we can find 1-3 star freshman every year that would fit into Pope's system. Dan Hurley has the recipe. Castle was their only 5 star freshman on that team.

• Love
Reactions: BlazerHallsBallsN96
We need the same recruiting. Just a better coach. We want the best but coached better in game.
Any less than top 50 does not belong at kentucky imo. None. Zero. We are a top basketball school for top players and transfers. Not top 100... Top50

I don’t disagree, but being a wonderful point-center is not his goal.
No, the goal is to have a top year and become a first round draft pick, which he would have done as a point-center at the center of college basketball universe.

Going to play for a coach with no idea how to use a center that's not a down low bruiser ain't gonna do that

Reactions: NociHTTP
How about a new normal of freshman not playing much but sticking around to get better as a Jr & sr

Instead of transferring because the rotten LA FAMILIA culture makes them feel like failure for not being 1 & done. Then they are solid college basketball contributors for someone else the rest of their CBB career.

Reactions: NociHTTP
This post is a hugely important point. The microwave/insta-NBA days are gone and it WILL take some getting used to. The names likely will not be as flashy, the announcements will likely take longer in between with less bells and whistles. The rolling of the dice on "Klutch" players and ratings will be replaced by actual evaluation and thinking more about fit and less about showcasing a particular player (and their "brilliant" coach)

Cal orchestrated media momentum, Pope will originate with longer term investments and likely longer term results. Pope is authentic - Cal is... not. One tells you to trust the system... one builds trust in the system.

Relax and let Pope work... and let Cal/Arky work to hype. Impatience is NOT your friend right now.

Cal, king of erratic double speak, was saying "we have to get older, the game is older now, we have to get physical" and at the same time says "we're going to keep building around freshmen". That's not to say freshmen are not a good get... it is to say he is very double minded and acts like a politician trying to cover his bases vs a coach building a team and a system.
Thank for the very thoughtful, spot-on post. I asked my husband last night to try and keep me from jumping over the ledge, so to speak, regarding what's going on right now with the rebuild process.

Reactions: struggler
This is going to take some time getting used to for all of us.
One thing that Cal brought us was constant commitments from the highest rated players out of high school. And he was VERY good at it, so good even Big Z does not even understand he would be perfect here in Popes system and Cal misused him last system and that won't change (no matter what spill he sold him).

Things to understand going forward:
  • When we get a guy now we are looking at long term 3-4 year commitments, we have to think it through and that may take some time.
  • The top rated classes are gone, and the hype around them also gone
  • Fast quick fix news are a thing of the past.
Short term high risk investments can work but as we can tell lately they can also bust and bust hard, but long term investments have a much HIGHER success rate and we have to be patient for it to work but it WILL work.
Do you work for Wall Street?

Honestly, none of us know what the new normal will be. It will reveal itself over time. I think we saw enough of the old normal to know that just about every year we were going to left disappointed. I welcome the change, I welcome us going after guys that want to be here. I think the best way to build a championship program is stability in the type of athletes that come here and develop. Some will develop faster than others, we may still have one and dones. We are the premier program in college basketball history. If you bring a kid here, show him the support, show him the video from Sunday and he’s still not impressed? He’s too stupid to play here anyways. I borrow that line from one of our former coaches.
The ole Ruppster.

I would hope we can find 1-3 star freshman every year that would fit into Pope's system. Dan Hurley has the recipe. Castle was their only 5 star freshman on that team.
RIGHT!!!! I just made a thread where I openly discussed the drawbacks of this perspective leaning on freshman and how bad their attitudes were and everyone thought the blame was on me while I point out the horrible me first mentality of these players and how that directly lowers a teams ceiling. Uconn was a team and they knew it. Ok let me puke now after saying it, but it's true.

Reactions: Farsight
I'm fine with 1-2 burger boys each year. But give us 4-5 tough ass 3 and 4 * who will be here 2-3 years.
This is what I fear is going to be a rude awakening for some. If these 2-3 year kids are that good for college, they still will leave. Not to the NBA, but back to the transfer portal and back to the highest bidder. I believe everyone is really missing this. Time and what kids want have changed and to me it sounds like the majority of the BBN do not understand that. Hope I am wrong.

Cal was pretty crummy frankly at getting recruits that really fit his own system. His relationship with the ratings system was more like an addiction than a form of mastery.
He didn’t real have an offensive system. Some seasons we ran the dribble drive, but mostly we didn’t. He tried to recruit to his defensive system, which ideally would be long athletes that can lock people down, but that hasn’t really worked out for him in years.

Just like I had faith that cals OAD approach would work when hired. I will have faith that popes “right pieces” approach will work. Only time will tell. I have feeling pope is a better judge of talent and is willing to tailor his coaching to make the roster work. That is worth something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT