ADVERTISEMENT

The new normal

FanofUK

Blue Chip Prospect
Feb 7, 2006
This is going to take some time getting used to for all of us.
One thing that Cal brought us was constant commitments from the highest rated players out of high school. And he was VERY good at it, so good even Big Z does not even understand he would be perfect here in Popes system and Cal misused him last system and that won't change (no matter what spill he sold him).

Things to understand going forward:
  • When we get a guy now we are looking at long term 3-4 year commitments, we have to think it through and that may take some time.
  • The top rated classes are gone, and the hype around them also gone
  • Fast quick fix news are a thing of the past.
Short term high risk investments can work but as we can tell lately they can also bust and bust hard, but long term investments have a much HIGHER success rate and we have to be patient for it to work but it WILL work.

Last edited:
Although I was a fan of getting the "burger boys" and the hype that surrounded top ranked classes year in and year out from the media and powers that be, we continued to flame out early in the tournament the last few years. I do believe Arkansas will be hyped by the national pundits, but I also believe we will continue to get high caliber players to dawn the jersey for KENTUCKY.

Reactions: BlazerHallsBallsN96
I would think after all the yearly failure seasons UK has had since 2015 this fanbase will be fine not landing #1 ranked freshman classes

Pope said he wants all of the above to build his teams....high ranked burger boys, depth guys who develop over 3-4 yrs, high quality portal upper classmen

This style may make a tough season or two. But we have the portal, a huge NIL, and a coach who will build a team to his style, not throw in the highest star guys and try to make them fit his style.

By year three, this system will flourish

One thing that Cal brought us was constant commitments from the highest rated players out of high school. And he was VERY good at it, so good even Big Z does not even understand he would be perfect here in Popes system and Cal misused him last system and that won't change (no matter what spill he sold him).

Things to understand going forward.
When we get a guy now we are looking at long term 3-4 year commitments, we have to think it through and that may take some time.
The top rated classes are gone, and the hype around them also gone
Fast quick fix news are a thing of the past.
Short term high risk investments can work but as we can tell lately they can also bust and bust hard, but long term investments have a much HIGHER success rate and we have to be patient for it to work but it WILL work.
We may not get 5 top 25 high schoolers, but I expect to get a few good ones. Far as the quick fix the portal has changed that! Pope should be able to put together a competitive roster next year thru the portal! No excuse not to!
There is quit a number of good experience in the portal, he needs to use his NIL and close the deal on them!

Reactions: ganner918
He actually didn't land the best players most of the 2nd half of his tenure and that's why we saw the dip in overall performance IMO. Post 2017 it wasn't super impressive since the fox, Monk and bam trio.

It definitely didn't compare to the first 6 to 8 years.

I dont think most fans are gonna need any adjustment period as we know keeping players multiple seasons is key to post season success. We need a mix.

• When we get a guy now we are looking at long term 3-4 year commitments, we have to think it through and that may take some time.
Agree, but there is no Bradshaw. Ugo and maybe not Thiero to "battle" for time. After watching 6-8 X12 BYU games and it's so evident that Z would be perfect in Pope's system.

Reactions: chroix
All good things. I was absolutely sick of the Cal recruiting cycle. Target all players who have been on the National scene from early HS, and only those players. Once one is honed in on, we wait as strings are pulled by handlers, agents, and brands as they “find the best situation” for their asset. Then you know a day or two before their commitment announcement where the player is going because word gets out in recruiting circles. Really felt like Cal kinda started phoning it in around 2017 with recruiting. Stopped worrying about roster construction and balance and just sat back and kind let the funnel do its work for him and feed him 5 stars.

I would think that Pope can still get 1 or 2 five stars a year, and those guys might still just be here for one year. Even under BCG, we got some 5 stars, and Pope is (seemingly) a heck of a lot better and more stable than BCG.

Reactions: BCD, K86 and chroix

So you’re saying that the days of looking good on paper are over? Finally.

Mix one or two 5 stars/a few multi year type players, and some stand out portal dudes. That's how we should roll from here on out.
If a 5 star fits into Popes system sure but a lot of 5 stars who have their eye on nba stardom make mediocre college basketball players. See Edwards, Wagner, Bradshaw from this year alone.

Reactions: katwest

I'm fine with it, most of what Kentucky had been getting the last 5 years were highly rated players getting beat with teams full of three star players with coaches you've never heard of. Then after the season, we had to wait till they all decided what they were going to do before we could start the process over again, all while getting beat in the first or second round of the NCAA and SEC tournaments. The highly rated players were not getting us the results Kentucky expects. There are enough good players for the top teams to get players they want to have in their system and be competitive, Kentucky will always be one of these top teams.

Kentucky will still need to recruit nationally ranked HS players to remain an elite program. We won’t see 5 starting Freshman, but you must get the right mix of 5 star talent to compete for titles. I really liked to roster mix at UConn this past season, 1 great Freshman starter

Yeah I’m not so sure you won’t still see a few top 25 guys here each season.

There are skilled guys in that range each season and there’s no reason somebody like Maxey, TyTy, etc won’t still be a Cat in the future.

Even bigs like Chet, Banchero, and company are going to be in play. Pope was trying to get 4 stars to BYU. He isn’t going to settle for garbage at Kentucky.

People are on here crying like somebody died.

Folks, act like UK didn't get ballers before Cal and that he was the only one hauling in talent the past 16 years.

Ya'll saw that bus unload in Rupp. All time greats, some of them played in 2 maybe 3 title games...they weren't all lottery picks. Handful of them were white boys from kentucky.

The point guard that led those teams to 3 consecutive title games, winning 2...not an NBA player...doesn't even have his jersey hanging in the banners, yet anyway...that's how tough the criteria used to be around here.

Another thing is we've seemed to have forgotten that "talent" is not one sized fits all. There is all sorts of talent out there and it doesn't necessarily have 5 stars or a draft projection. If used/coached/developed correctly can play crucial roles on great teams.

Over the last dozen years or so I've watched a lot of players who wouldn't be able to clean the shoes of a lot of our guys and similarly talented players at other big programs, contribute and help squads advance deep.

If a 5 star fits into Popes system sure but a lot of 5 stars who have their eye on nba stardom make mediocre college basketball players. See Edwards, Wagner, Bradshaw from this year alone.
Pope will have to make sure his approach applies to those 5 star guys. A lot of them may leave after a year - you gotta find the ones that go all out for the program while here. Like Wall did

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
This post is a hugely important point. The microwave/insta-NBA days are gone and it WILL take some getting used to. The names likely will not be as flashy, the announcements will likely take longer in between with less bells and whistles. The rolling of the dice on "Klutch" players and ratings will be replaced by actual evaluation and thinking more about fit and less about showcasing a particular player (and their "brilliant" coach)

Cal orchestrated media momentum, Pope will originate with longer term investments and likely longer term results. Pope is authentic - Cal is... not. One tells you to trust the process... one builds trust in the system.

Relax and let Pope work... and let Cal/Arky work to hype. Impatience is NOT your friend right now.

Cal, king of erratic double speak, was saying "we have to get older, the game is older now, we have to get physical" and at the same time says "we're going to keep building around freshmen". That's not to say freshmen are not a good get... it is to say he is very double minded and acts like a politician trying to cover his bases vs a coach building a team and a system.

Last edited:
Kentucky fans and patience? Good luck with that

furthermore, once we see UNC, kansas and duke getting burger boys, we will also want our burger boys too.

Reactions: AzubuikeandFitch
I just cannot wrap my mind around Big Z not seeing his potential under Pope vs what Cal is pumping in his brain. I mean he seems a bit goofy (no offense to him) and slow but anyone can look at the 2 and see the better fit. Plus what UK did to get him here was not CAL but UK add in what we can do for him in NIL would be double what the hogs can do.

Reactions: BCD and chroix

Pitino still got top 10 classes. We should not expect to fill a roster off 5 stars, but to act like we can go without them is not a good strategy. All the blue bloods still get top 10 classes, while still getting players to come back. If we’re going to be successful, we’re going to have to do the same.

I just cannot wrap my mind around Big Z not seeing his potential under Pope vs what Cal is pumping in his brain. I mean he seems a bit goofy (no offense to him) and slow but anyone can look at the 2 and see the better fit. Plus what UK did to get him here was not CAL but UK add in what we can do for him in NIL would be double what the hogs can do.
Z’s number one goal is getting to the league. Period. He has already entered (and removed) his name twice. That is what he cares about and if we are honest with ourselves, there is no one better at getting players drafted than Cal, especially players who we believe aren’t ready.

Z didnt make his decision on where he thinks he can get the most minutes, play a certain position, have the biggest impact, etc.

Z made his choice 100% on where he thinks he has the best chance at getting drafted in the first round. One coach has dozens of first round picks, one has what, none?

Not saying he made the right choice, just stating what I believe to be his reasoning and honestly, it may be best for him as it relates to his goal.

Kentucky fans and patience? Good luck with that

furthermore, once we see UNC, kansas and duke getting burger boys, we will also want our burger boys too.
I feel like I know college basketball pretty good... But these past few days is the first time I've ever heard top recruits termed "burger boys". Somehow that's escaped me over the years. Am I alone in this? Haha

I wouldn't go too far on the only going after multi-year guys mindset. There is definitely value in that continuity, but I fully expect Pope still pursues the cream of the crop out of HS in addition to those guys.

Z’s number one goal is getting to the league. Period. He has already entered (and removed) his name twice. That is what he cares about and if we are honest with ourselves, there is no one better at getting players drafted than Cal, especially players who we believe aren’t ready.

Z didnt make his decision on where he thinks he can get the most minutes, play a certain position, have the biggest impact, etc.

Z made his choice 100% on where he thinks he has the best chance at getting drafted in the first round. One coach has dozens of first round picks, one has what, none?

Not saying he made the right choice, just stating what I believe to be his reasoning and honestly, it may be best for him as it relates to his goal.
I get that and the fact Cal got him over here and Z trusts him.

But the guy could have DOMINATED in Pope's system. He would have been a wonderful Point-Center

Reactions: NociHTTP
I wouldn't go too far on the only going after multi-year guys mindset. There is definitely value in that continuity, but I fully expect Pope still pursues the cream of the crop out of HS in addition to those guys.
Definitely need a mix, but it isn't really available this season except McNeely whom I feel we are too late in the game for.

What will be nice is next years we'll only lose 1-3 to graduation or the NBA and only be filling a few spots with veteran returners and then thats the norm. No more needing 8 player classes because they all declared for the G-League

Definitely need a mix, but it isn't really available this season except McNeely whom I feel we are too late in the game for.

What will be nice is next years we'll only lose 1-3 to graduation or the NBA and only be filling a few spots with veteran returners and then thats the norm. No more needing 8 player classes because they all declared for the G-League

Yea that's true...

There are some murmurs that Collin Chandler could even be an OAD, but there are obviously a lot of questions there. Hope he's good enough for that to be a question.

Yea that's true...

There are some murmurs that Collin Chandler could even be an OAD, but there are obviously a lot of questions there. Hope he's good enough for that to be a question.
I feel like our one and dones with Pope will be guys who should go like Reed and Rob. Edwards and Ugo join a long list of Cal players who left with no shot at being full time NBA players

EDIT: also not many more Ulis who essentially got recruited over and had to go

Reactions: podgejeff_
I'm fine with 1-2 burger boys each year. But give us 4-5 tough ass 3 and 4 * who will be here 2-3 years.

UConn's players? Ranked in the 90s.

Think about it. There are hundreds of Div 1 schools. And only 100 Top 100 players. If you recruit 2 Top 100 players every year, you're ahead of the game. And if they're the kind of kid who fits your system, it's gravy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT