ADVERTISEMENT

The NBA is behind all this NIL business

twwilliams9

Silver Member
Apr 29, 2024
IMO, college basketball teams are now nothing more than glorified minor league basketball teams. Kids can stay in college longer now giving owners a bigger window to evaluate prospects as opposed to only having one year. It works out well for fans in the long run, I guess, as they can see better basketball because of the experience of the players on the court.

• Love
Reactions: deep3
forgetting that basketball is far from the main driver in NIL, it's part of it, but regardless, i don't think the NFL and nba caused this... attourneys and a "fail to act" and weak ncaa did.

Reactions: ORCAT and MCIGuy
I mean they could just raise the age to two or three years removed from high school and force players to give them more time to scout. The owners have the power to do that.
no they don't. It has to collectively agreed on between the players union and the owners. The players have been pretty staunch in sticking with 1 year removed from high school.

Not really referring to the original court case which included athletes from multiple sports as plaintiffs but happened to be filed by a basketball player but the reality that a majority of the money is coming from the football side of things at most schools, maybe duke and uconn or uk basketball drives it at their respective institutions.

Last edited:
Reactions: UKSouthpaw
IMO, college basketball teams are now nothing more than glorified minor league basketball teams. Kids can stay in college longer now giving owners a bigger window to evaluate prospects as opposed to only having one year. It works out well for fans in the long run, I guess, as they can see better basketball because of the experience of the players on the court.

Sure saves them a ton of money. Should be able to phase out any developmental league now. I don't watch the NBA anymore, anyway. I tried, but that sht isn't even basketball. WWF has more integrity than your average NBA entanglement. Crooked officiating, controlled outcomes, rampant traveling, hacks, hooks, dives, and flops, and piss poor D until the end of the game most games.

China can have it.

They could literally just say hs can go to the nba and fix most of it. The nba just profiting from ncaa negligence

They don't want to be spending money on kids straight out of high school, when they can't guarantee a great ROI on kids they've watched play college ball for 4-5 years. NCAA sold out to this whole thing years ago

Reactions: NociHTTP
They don't want to be spending money on kids straight out of high school, when they can't guarantee a great ROI on kids they've watched play college ball for 4-5 years. NCAA sold out to this whole thing years ago
Hence me saying ncaa negligence. You cant treat players like slaves then they get money and expect them to come to the table. Theres no benefit

Slaves with free education, a stipend, sometimes free housing and food at some schools? Lol, why can't they get a job while playing basketball?
If ppl will pay you 6 figures to ball for their school why would you get a job? The “slaves” word was used bc the ncaa refused to pay these kids for 50 years and profited immensely

Boosters and fans donating to a collective for NIL shouldn't be allowed. It's the players name, image and likeness so players and their agent work out deals with prospective businesses. If player A works a deal for a million and player B only works one for 200,000 then they earn their NIL.
They pay tax on it since they are earning it.

When NIL is larger than a G league contract whats the point of any rookie playing.
Yeah, this is why I don't think NIL is being pushed by the NBA. These players leaving early are about to become fewer in my estimation. If these guys can make $2 mil a season? Seriously, why gamble on being effective in the NBA or waste a year or more in the g-league playing insignificant basketball that almost nobody ever sees? Play in college in games that matter, where you know you've had success, and you have a huge number of fans who love you. And with NIL, you lose nothing.

The ONLY positive I see for the NBA is that they don't have to gamble as much on relatively unknown players. Their average age for rookies will likely increase, which is a good thing for that league in my opinion. Players will likely play another season (or more) in college and become more mature players before trying to make an NBA roster.

I mean they could just raise the age to two or three years removed from high school and force players to give them more time to scout. The owners have the power to do that.
There’s this thing called collective bargaining, the players will have to agree to it as well. Otherwise it’s illegal.

LoL CFB drives NIL, from the beginning
Folks are addicted to boogie men and conspiracy theories that hold up to scrutiny so poorly that it is hard to believe they can be expressed without some brake being pumped.

I'm still trying to get a handle on what some think the practical upside of "just let them go straight out of high school" is too.

Okay, those five guys went so now what besides the guys that went to school that show out are still going pro at a nearly unaltered clip?

The 70's and 80's will not be restored.

Reactions: MCIGuy and JHB4UK
Boosters and fans donating to a collective for NIL shouldn't be allowed. It's the players name, image and likeness so players and their agent work out deals with prospective businesses. If player A works a deal for a million and player B only works one for 200,000 then they earn their NIL.
They pay tax on it since they are earning it.
The business in this instance is the collective though.

Reactions: Bluegrassking

no they don't. It has to collectively agreed on between the players union and the owners. The players have been pretty staunch in sticking with 1 year removed from high school.

You know, now that players can make millions.. why NOT turn basketball into a 2-year or 3-deal setup. NBA owners probably don't care in general. College basketball folks would love it, makes the sport better. Players union might be more on board with it, knowing that players can make a living and not miss out on the NBA money. I'd like to think that the NBA saying "you need to be one year older" isn't really going to harm anyone, and only stands to make both leagues better.

Then again, 1AD is small potatoes in terms of what's going to kill college basketball. 30 kids playing one year of college before the NBA is nothing compared to 1500 kids in the transfer portal.

That makes no sense. College athletics is in competition with the NBA to keep players longer while the NBA wants to start making money off them immediately. Players staying in college means less talent in the G league.

Hence me saying ncaa negligence. You cant treat players like slaves then they get money and expect them to come to the table. Theres no benefit

"Slaves" lmao....

Only weak ask minds could buy into much less speak that word relative to pampered NCAA athletes. It's an insult to all of the people throughout history and every "race" that were actually slaves in the truest sense of the word. People saying this crap should be ashamed.

They've also BEEN GETTING MONEY (and a lot of other compensation) for a VERY long time.

I don't care if anyone "comes to the table." I'm OK with however the house of cards falls. It's not important to me.

The NCAA didn't "neglect" anything. The NCAA was monopolistic in its prevention of TRUE NIL for decades. That was purposeful, and only partly because they knew they couldn't control it. They knew it would cut into their potential revenue, but also add to their management load.

However, the rules they put in place weren't meant to stop cheating or their punishments wouldn't have been so capricious/random or light. They WANTED great teams with stars to sell the NCAA brand. They knew most teams would comply with the rules, so they created clear-cut juggernauts by making rules they knew some people would circumvent. Only if the violations were blatant and out of control would they really do anything, and then only severely punishing schools without larger viewership (so it wouldn't hurt their revenue).

Parity is exactly why they let "NIL" get out of hand and never got out ahead of it. They knew the transfer portal was going to even out the playing field, so they needed to weigh entertainment value (ad dollars) vs lost local sponsorship revenue. Fake NIL restores their status quo and re-elevates programs that had faded (like both UTs) due to the parity the portal brought.

They've also been preparing for eventual revenue share, which is why they've been so tight (and ruthless) on trademark violations. They knew they had to keep revenue as high as possible so that healthy margins could be maintained going forward, even with revenue sharing, NIL competition for sponsorship dollars, and the loss of membership that is inevitable for the association (if it even survives).

The NBA and NFL aren't the only ones that NEED college sports to survive and for the schools to pay players during critical development years. Vegas and media also NEED big time college sports. They need better play at the top and less parity, so they're not spread so thin across so many conferences.

Just my thoughts on the whole scheme

• Love
Reactions: RunninRichie
Slaves with free education, a stipend, sometimes free housing and food at some schools? Lol, why can't they get a job while playing basketball?
They have never been allowed to take jobs while on scholarship, that's the reason for the stipend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT