ADVERTISEMENT

The Last Great Day In Music History

GnarlsBarkley

Sophomore
Jun 2, 2007
Today marks the 30th aniversary of the last great day of the last great week of the last great month of the last great year in music history.

Nirvana’s “Nevermind,” The Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik,” The Pixies “Trompe Le Monde” and A Tribe Called Quest’s “The Low End Theory.” Each groundbreaking project dropped Sept. 24, 1991. Guns and Roses realeased Use Your Illusion I & II a week before, and Sound Garden would realease Badmotorfinger a week later.

90 albums from 1991 went platinum 4 enjoy diamond status. some other realeases from that year

Pearl Jam- Ten
Metallica- Metallica
Michael Jackson- Dangerous
U2- Actung Baby
The Smashing Pumkins- Gish
2Pac- 2Pacalypse Now
Ice Cube- Death Crtificate
Queen- Innuendo
Primus- Seas of Cheese
N.W.A- Niggaz4Life
Garth Brooks- Ropin' the Wind
REM- Out Of Time

1991 may not be the single greatest year in music history but it's close. And It definitely was the last truly great year for music. There are some good and even very good years after this but not better.

No.

You have to wait until at least 1994. Plus you have G&R, Michael Jackson and Garth Brooks on your list. WTF???

1988-1993 was just bad.

Reactions: chroix
It’s not “my list” it’s a list of music from that year. That Garth Brooks record sold 10 million copies.

but ‘94 was a really good year as well

I honestly don't remember Queen even being on music's radar in 1991. They peaked long before then but were still popular in the UK.

Last edited:
Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
It’s not “my list” it’s a list of music from that year. That Garth Brooks record sold 10 million copies.

but ‘94 was a really good year as well
Billy Ray Cyrus was a top seller around that time.

In this year alone you’re seeing Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood as being top sellers.

I don’t think top selling is a good litmus test. I think that people would buy a gold-flaked turd if their friends did it.

Waynes World
Mike Myers demanded that 70's hit Bohemian Rhapsody be used for the head banging scene. The studio wanted a Guns n Roses tune. Myers won. Freddie Mercury was already dead before the movie's 1992 release but he did get to see an an early cut of the scene and loved it.

Reactions: WildcatFan1982
No.

You have to wait until at least 1994. Plus you have G&R, Michael Jackson and Garth Brooks on your list. WTF???

1988-1993 was just bad.
DNRXBz0.gif

• Haha
Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
1991 may not be the single greatest year in music history but it's close. And It definitely was the last truly great year for music. There are some good and even very good years after this but not better.

1969 is, and forever will be, the greatest year in music history. All others are far, far behind.

1969 debut albums - Led Zeppelin, Crosby Stills Nash & Young, The Stooges, Santana, King Crimson, Blind Faith, The Allman Brothers Band, Jackson 5, Frank Zappa, Joe Cocker, Johnny Winter.

Music festivals - Altamont, Isle Of Wight, Rolling Stones in Hyde Park, Atlantic City Pop Festival, Woodstock.

It's pretty funny OP chose a name based off of a group that came about much later than 1991. You have to include 1994. Much more pivotal. And as pointed out above if you ignore that it's obviously 1969 it's just dumb.

Yes other years do stack up to 91’ like 69’ and 84’ and 94’. But what day matches today from 1994? Don’t think there is one

1969 is, and forever will be, the greatest year in music history. All others are far, far behind.
I'm not sure 1969 was "the greatest year in music history," in terms of music released as opposed to cultural events like Woodstock. For sure, all others are not "far, far behind."

Every year from 1968 to 1971 was pretty extraordinary. I prefer 1971's output, but objectively, would take 1968 over 1969 in terms of unforgettable albums released.

A few highlights:
Beatles White Album, Beggars' Banquet by the Stones, Electric Ladyland by Hendrix, Music From Big PInk, Astral Weeks by Van Morrison, Lady Soul, Aretha Franklin, Wheels, Cream, Sweetheart of the Rodeo by the Byrds, Live at Folsom Prison, Dock of the Bay, Otis Redding, Cheap Thrills, Janis Joplin...and so on.

One thing is for sure: In terms of popular music genres, the greatest year of all time certainly wasn't any year in the 1980s, 1990s or so far in the 21st century. It was almost certainly some time between 1968 and 1971.

Artists in the late 60's and 70's were much more prolific in releasing albums due to demands in their recording contracts. For example, Credence Clearwater Revival released 7 albums between 1968 and 1972. There just seemed to be a greater volume of music back then.

Reactions: sefleming
1988-1993 was just bad all around. Even TV was horrible those years. Prime time lineups were just terrible.

Clothing and fashion was also terrible. Good lord even Aerosmith was terrible.

My favorite bands first album came out that year. It went platinum as well. No doubt as good as any listed. Excellence. Give a spin.

SmashingPumpkins-Gish.jpg

Reactions: WildcatFan1982
2007 was the last time Zeppelin aged together and it was epic.

That alone pushes it into my top ten.

My favorite bands first album came out that year. It went platinum as well. No doubt as good as any listed. Excellence. Give a spin.

SmashingPumpkins-Gish.jpg
I saw Zwan at Bogarts and saw the Pumpkins at the Louisville Palace (zeitgeist when Chamberlin was with them). Both great. Except the encore was GARBAGE and they didn't play Disarm.

Then I was going to go see them at the Yum Center when it was everyone but Darcy was back. Then my boss made me work late when I was the only one that asked off. And thats where I met the biggest whore I"ve ever met. ... sdf

I saw Smashing Pumpkins at Freedom Hall and remember 3 things.
3. If you are an undercover cop, you may want to look at the stage every once in a while or you may just as well wear a uniform.
2. Like I had heard, SP is a better studio band than live band. In fairness, I think I remember reading they had sound problems that night.
1. Garbage opened up for them and there was a very unfortunate incident between a water bottle and Shirley Manson's thin, white t-shirt.

Unpopular take: the greatest day in music, for me, was two parts: a. The creation of the file format mp3 and b. The Ipod.

Every band mentioned caused you all to pay money, and IMO far too much at times. The above caused me to save thousands and actually make some money burning cds in 8th grade.

*duck from incoming rocks*

Unpopular take: the greatest day in music, for me, was two parts: a. The creation of the file format mp3 and b. The Ipod.

Every band mentioned caused you all to pay money, and IMO far too much at times. The above caused me to save thousands and actually make some money burning cds in 8th grade.

Since I think you're old enough, what is the difference between downloading them for free and walking into a store and shoving the CD down your pants? That is one thing that blows my mind as I have gotten older. How little is thought of stealing anymore. Kind of like the "anyone have a stream for the game" threads. People announce their intentions to commit a crime. Call me any name you want but the fact is that if people that stuff, they're a criminal. The exact same as people going into a store and walking out with whatever you wany.

• Love
Reactions: rudd1
Since I think you're old enough, what is the difference between downloading them for free and walking into a store and shoving the CD down your pants? That is one thing that blows my mind as I have gotten older. How little is thought of stealing anymore. Kind of like the "anyone have a stream for the game" threads. People announce their intentions to commit a crime. Call me any name you want but the fact is that if people that stuff, they're a criminal. The exact same as people going into a store and walking out with whatever you wany.

When you grew up in the computer age, and do IT for a career, you generally don't get caught stealing online. Now, I know there's technically no difference between the two, but it is what it is. Stealing music online is one of those white collar type crimes. But I've never, and would never, think of actual shoplifting. Why is that? Maybe there's no moral injustice of taking something that is technically just a free copy of something else? Maybe no fear because who can stop you? Would be a great case study.

For what it's worth.. I do use Spotify premium now. But that ain't helping the artists much better lol.

Reactions: Glenn's take
Today marks the 30th aniversary of the last great day of the last great week of the last great month of the last great year in music history.

Nirvana’s “Nevermind,” The Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik,” The Pixies “Trompe Le Monde” and A Tribe Called Quest’s “The Low End Theory.” Each groundbreaking project dropped Sept. 24, 1991. Guns and Roses realeased Use Your Illusion I & II a week before, and Sound Garden would realease Badmotorfinger a week later.

90 albums from 1991 went platinum 4 enjoy diamond status. some other realeases from that year

Pearl Jam- Ten
Metallica- Metallica
Michael Jackson- Dangerous
U2- Actung Baby
The Smashing Pumkins- Gish
2Pac- 2Pacalypse Now
Ice Cube- Death Crtificate
Queen- Innuendo
Primus- Seas of Cheese
N.W.A- Niggaz4Life
Garth Brooks- Ropin' the Wind
REM- Out Of Time

Any music over Haggard, Jones, Twitty, Jr., Coe, Lefty, and yes, Travis, is a travesty. Y’all can have Brooks.

1988-1993 was just bad all around. Even TV was horrible those years. Prime time lineups were just terrible.

Clothing and fashion was also terrible. Good lord even Aerosmith was terrible.
I agree about the fashion but not the music. There were plenty on good acts in those years. There were also a bunch of crappy acts (think power ballads and bad pop music). It was a mixed bag for me.

I remember as a kid riding the school bus home with an anti-skip (*cough* bs) cd player and one of those mini cd booklets shoved in my backpack. I always thought, "someday someone is going to make a little digital device like a Gameboy that can hold 1000 songs." Turns out, the iPod was released a couple years later.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Any top ten of anything is one persons opinion and don’t let this blow your mind but we all have different opinions. Just because someone paid you to make yours doesn’t mean shit.

I don't know when the last great day was, but it was several decades ago.

Too many idiots are buying absolute trash and calling it music these days.

Reactions: DSmith21
I was 14 in '91. Nevermind's probably my favorite album.

Some other big events in music in '91: MTV dominated; Whitney Houston delivered her famous rendition of The Star-Spangled Banner at Super Bowl XXV; Michael Jackson's "Black or White" video debuted on Fox (to a global audience of about half a billion people); Madonna's Truth or Dare documentary was released; and Dead killed himself ("Excuse the blood...").

I remember as a kid riding the school bus home with an anti-skip (*cough* bs) cd player and one of those mini cd booklets shoved in my backpack. I always thought, "someday someone is going to make a little digital device like a Gameboy that can hold 1000 songs." Turns out, the iPod was released a couple years later.

One of my friends in school bought the first portable MP3 player. It had 32mb of storage space. Even then I couldn't figure out why anyone would pay for that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT