ADVERTISEMENT

The Last Great Day In Music History

When you grew up in the computer age, and do IT for a career, you generally don't get caught stealing online. Now, I know there's technically no difference between the two, but it is what it is. Stealing music online is one of those white collar type crimes. But I've never, and would never, think of actual shoplifting. Why is that? Maybe there's no moral injustice of taking something that is technically just a free copy of something else? Maybe no fear because who can stop you? Would be a great case study.

For what it's worth.. I do use Spotify premium now. But that ain't helping the artists much better lol.

Stealing music online used to be called "little thieves stealing from big thieves."

I think the artists make a few pennies from their music played on Spotify - some of which music that was so long gone that it would never sell a copy at all. As they say, "A little bit of something is better than all of nothing."

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I have no idea how artists get paid anymore. I've seen big time artists complain about not getting crap. I remember seeing Jeff Coffin (sax player for Dave Matthews Band currently) say that he got a check for like $400 for millions of streams (I don't remember the numbers, I just remember it being a small amount for a gigantic number of streams)

and then there are rappers and pop artists making seemingly millions overnight. Like that Lil Uzi Vert had a $24 million diamond implanted in his forehead. I read that Olivia Rodrigo (sp?) lost millions because she gave Taylor Swift and Paramore song writing credits.

There's good music to be had in literally every year.. the way to find it has just changed. Blame MTV.
The MTV era took emphasis away from solely the music and made the artist's physical appearance, style and video quality important factors for airtime. I don't think that was good for music quality.

Now Musicians make their money from touring. As record sales declined ticket prices skyrocketed. And corperate sponsors which were once looked upon as selling out are now everywhere.

Today marks the 30th aniversary of the last great day of the last great week of the last great month of the last great year in music history.

Nirvana’s “Nevermind,” The Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik,” The Pixies “Trompe Le Monde” and A Tribe Called Quest’s “The Low End Theory.” Each groundbreaking project dropped Sept. 24, 1991. Guns and Roses realeased Use Your Illusion I & II a week before, and Sound Garden would realease Badmotorfinger a week later.

90 albums from 1991 went platinum 4 enjoy diamond status. some other realeases from that year

Pearl Jam- Ten
Metallica- Metallica
Michael Jackson- Dangerous
U2- Actung Baby
The Smashing Pumkins- Gish
2Pac- 2Pacalypse Now
Ice Cube- Death Crtificate
Queen- Innuendo
Primus- Seas of Cheese
N.W.A- Niggaz4Life
Garth Brooks- Ropin' the Wind
REM- Out Of Time

1991 may not be the single greatest year in music history but it's close. And It definitely was the last truly great year for music. There are some good and even very good years after this but not better.
This is exactly why 60's and 70's rock is still so popular.

Fail.

Mid 90s are when I really became cognizant of popular music.....born in 83 so hit middle school in 94. So 94-95-96 all have some amazing albums. I've long since branched out across all decades and genres. But 94 definitely has a special place in my heart.

Even though the whole rap metal phase was a thing when I was on high school so you inevitably like some of it, I knew even then it was shyte and not long after that we saw the Nickelback era come in.

People always say when folks bitch about the state of music today youre just too old and every generation says that.

No, I was quite cognizant at the time alot of the late 90s early 00s stuff was dogshyte. Went back and studied/bought/learned all manner of music from all genres back to the 40s and 30s.

Reality is the popular music today really is crap. It's always been overproduction to an extent and homogenized but what's going on today is unlike anything popular music has ever gone through. It's always been a copycat business, since the days of Tin Pan Alley, but the music business is truly at its nadir sadly.

Thankfully the internet at least allows those of us who give a **** enough access to find good new music. There's a TON of it out there. It's, ironically, never been easier to get your stuff out there to the masses. However, it can easily get lost in the din.

Since I think you're old enough, what is the difference between downloading them for free and walking into a store and shoving the CD down your pants? That is one thing that blows my mind as I have gotten older. How little is thought of stealing anymore. Kind of like the "anyone have a stream for the game" threads. People announce their intentions to commit a crime. Call me any name you want but the fact is that if people that stuff, they're a criminal. The exact same as people going into a store and walking out with whatever you wany.
I feel you, but let's face it. Everybody steals to some degree. The store clerk gives you too much money back, that extra burger and fries from the drive through, that pen you "borrowed" and never gave back, etc., etc..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT