ADVERTISEMENT

THE GREATEST IS GONE!!

I have mixed feelings about Ali. My grandmother had Parkinson's disease, so I always felt bad for him, because I first hand how difficult it is. In reference to your post though, a lot of black men that grew up just as Ali did, fought bravely in Vietnam. Black men also fought bravely in WWII, WWI, and other wars. Those people grew up under worse conditions than Ali. I think using that excuse disrespects the many black men who did choose to fight.
Some black men made that choice, I'm still ok with any black man who refused to fight for a country that treated him like shit.

MV5BMTQ5Nzk2MjY2N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTA3NTM2._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be interested to see what The Rock has to say about Ali.
If I had to pick one guy that reminds me of Ali nowadays it would be Dwayne The Rock Johnson. They have a lot in common as athletic entertainers. Rock can talk trash naturally like Ali. He also shares the "off the charts " charisma. Uncanny how they similar they are\were as entertainers.
. Its always felt like a continuation of Ali's showmanship by watching professional wrestling all these years imo. Every professional wrestler that has been successful has emulated in some way alittle Muhammad Ali.
Muhammad Ali was the ring announcer for the very first WrestleMania .
Charisma and the ability to talk on a mic are the two keys to wrestling stardom to this very day. Muhammad Ali was the one that laid the template down. Wrestlers picked up on it. Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Hulk Hogan.....they all emulated Ali. They still all do imo. Most dont know a boxer showed the way to sports entertainment success. The WWE owes it all to him.

Last edited:
He was my idol as a kid, much like Jim Rice and Jack Givens. I met the other two. Never met Ali. Now I never will, and it makes me sad. He's probably the one famous person that if I ever did meet him would probably have me in tears just to be in his presence. That's how much in awe I am of him. He was The Greatest in so much more than boxing and sport.

And then someone on Facebook called him a draft dodger this morning, and I responded that while I respect every man and woman who has ever taken up arms in this country, I also respect Ali for choosing to refuse to fight in a very questionable conflict. Imagine a world in which Ali goes to Vietnam and comes home in a box. How much less of a world would this be? I don't care to think of it, personally. God bless him for taking that stand and touching over a billion lives and helping to start the conversation in the U.S. to end that questionable war.

The greatest of all time. When he fought, the whole world took notice, and at a time when boxing was worth watching.

Anyone worried about him dodging the draft really should try to remember what this country was then. Then realize most of them wouldn't want their children fighting most of our wars today and realize how awful they are.

He was selected, intentionally BTW, and immediately told he could fight a few fights to rally the troops the train for a professional fight and be sent home and never touch a weapon.

He was being used because of the racial tension at the time and they hoped he could rally thousands of blacks to be ok to go to war for country they weren't even allowed to be in public establishments in several cities/states.

He wouldn't go for it and had several million dollars to earn in foreign countries and the US took his passport and jailed him.

Takes a lot of balls to stand up for what you believe in.

Joe Bruno on Boxing – Muhammad Ali is Not a Hero.

Muhammad Ali passed away Friday night, June 3, 2016. I wrote the article below around the year 2000.

I got to know him fairly well in the 1980’s, when I was Vice President of the Boxing Writers Association. He was a real friendly man, and we had several nice conversations about what I have written below.

Still, his death doesn’t change what he was, and what he did early in his career.

It is with a sad heart that I stand by what is written below.

It’s just the truth, and a man’s death doesn’t change the truth.

Muhammad Ali Hero?—Not!!!!!!!
There’s a new phenomenon taking place in boxing, and in the news media in general, which I’ll gracefully call revisionist history. I’m talking about the way the so-called media portrays one of the most controversial figures of all time – Muhammad Ali.

Former heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali may have been great fighter, but he was also a shameless draft dodger, who refused to fight for his country in the Vietnam War.

If you say the United States didn’t belong in Vietnam–I agree. If you say it was a stupid war, a war we couldn’t win — I also agree. I didn’t like the war any more than Ali did, but me and hundreds of thousands of other men like me, black, white, or whatever, went into the United States armed service because it was our duty to our country and to our families.

Ali’s refusal to be inducted wasn’t a black/white thing like he and his people tried to shove down our throats. Hundreds of thousand of white men chickened out and avoided service in Vietnam too.

Ali claimed to be a Muslim minister as his exemption to get out of the military draft. Ali was a minister like Al Sharpton is a Reverend and like Dr. Irwin Corey is a physician. The draft board rightfully saw through Ali’s charade and classified him one A. But this man, who had already gotten rich though the American system of free enterprise, adamantly refused to take the one symbolic step forward on the day he was drafted.

To me, that was not only traitorous, it was darn personal.

My own life was put on hold for almost eight years because of the Vietnam War. I graduated Cardinal Hayes high school in 1965, I wasn’t taking enough credits at Hunter College to avoid the draft because I had to work full time so I could buy food to eat and keep a roof over my head. So, as was prescribed by the rules of the draft, I received a 1A classification.

In 1966, I decided to join the Navy, which three of my uncles had already served in, rather than get drafted into the army. I did four years active duty and another two years reserved. I could’ve beaten the draft like other skells did. Some jerks erroneously claimed to be gay to beat the draft. Others put needles in their arms and said they were junkies so they would fail the physical. And still others like myself were too proud to do things so disgraceful and humiliating, so we did what we thought was the only right and honorable thing to do. We either joined, or we were inducted into the Armed Forces of the United States of America. My only other alternative was suicide, since my father and my uncles would’ve surely beaten me to death if I ever did anything offensive to myself, my family and my country.

Starting in 1969, I did an 11-month tour on the aircraft carrier Constellation in the Bay of Tonkin 40 miles off the coast of Vietnam. I was a parachute rigger, so once a week I had to fly by helicopter into De Nang to pack the chutes in their base parachute loft. I saw white men serving there in the worst of conditions, along with black men, Muslims, Catholics, Jews and Protestants and a couple of Lithuanians too. Men that didn’t want to be in Vietnam any more than I did, but went anyway because America, right or wrong, is still our country, and if you want to live here and enjoy what the best country in the world has to offer, you have obligations.

I’ll never forget the night Ali fought Joe Frazier for the first time in 1970. The fight was broadcast live on Armed Forces Radio in the middle of the night for us in Vietnam. I remember hundreds of us setting our alarms for 3 am, even though we were on 12-hour working shifts in the war zone for as long as 45 days in a row. We sat around radios in all parts of the Constellation and I don’t remember one man who was rooting for Ali to win. Every race, color and creed was rooting for Smokin’ Joe Frazier, not the big-mouthed, race-baiting, draft dodger, and when Smokin’ Joe landed his famous left hook that dropped Ali in the fifteenth round, the huge ship rocked with cheers.

For whatever flimsy reasons he and white-hating Muslim sect tried to concoct, Ali refused to be inducted into the armed forces, and to me and millions like me, that’s the bottom line. You disgrace the memory of tens of thousands heroic Americans, black, white or whatever, who died in Vietnam and in every war before and since Vietnam, when you glorify the draft dodger, scoundrel, reprobate and the four-marriage adulterer Muhammad Ali definitely was. The pitiful condition he’s in now is sad, but has no relevance to the sins he committed back when he was, as he defiantly proclaimed —-The Greatest.

Thirty years have passed, and the sportswriters who railed against Ali’s treason in the 1960’s – men like Jimmy Cannon, Dick Young, and the great Red Smith – are all dead. The scribes still living are mostly the flower-child, pot-smoking, free-love, “peace man” types (Maynard G Krebs/Beatniks) and selective-memory airheads like Keith Olbermann, Rachel Maddow, Chris Matthews, Frank Rich and Mollie Irvins. Others who choose to ignore Ali’s dark past are generally Jane Fonda/Country Joe Fish-types and Woodstock Generation lemmings, who watch MSNBC and read left-wing rags like the New York Times, The Village Voice and the Washington Post. Not to mention limousine-liberals like the Kennedys and Cuomos, who wouldn’t be caught dead being in the same building with the very people whose pain they supposedly feel.

Muhammad Ali was a great fighter, but he was a draft dodger and much worse. In my book he will never be a great American. He was certainly no Joe Louis, a black man who proudly served his country in World War II and was rightfully referred to by Jimmy Cannon as “a credit to his race — the human race.”

Ali is a credit to no one but himself. His war record, along with the alimony he is forced to pay to four ex-wives, tells me more about Muhammad Ali than anything he ever did in the ring.
Throw the first stone since you are perfect moron. He served time and did not run to Canada. By the way, I am a veteran of war and retired and applaud his stance. I may not agree with it but, he stood his ground and was punished for it. As far as wifes go, crap happens.

Last edited:
Throw the first stone since you are perfect moron. He served time and did not run to Canada. By the way, I am a veteran of war and retired and applaud his stance. I may not agree with it but, he stood his ground and was punished for it. As far as wifes go, crap happens.

Well said, Sir.....well said indeed.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
First I support Trump and I'm not calling him a draft dodger. As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure Trump would not have involved us in Vietnam, which would have saved his damn prime boxing years.

People really are confusing fact/fiction based on TV, sad really! Clinton would have no doubt had every popular American ever killed off to keep some shred of power though I'm sure.

First I support Trump and I'm not calling him a draft dodger. As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure Trump would not have involved us in Vietnam, which would have saved his damn prime boxing years.

People really are confusing fact/fiction based on TV, sad really! Clinton would have no doubt had every popular American ever killed off to keep some shred of power though I'm sure.

Donald Trump dodged the draft on five separate occasions and avoided military service at every opportunity.

While the Vietnam War that would claim the lives of some 58,000 of his countrymen raged, Trump received a series of deferments so that he could attend college at Fordham University and the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business. Then, after graduation, he received his fifth free pass, a fishy medical exemption that declared him ineligible for combat.

AlohaCat

Reactions: UKvisitor
Right or wrong many people worship athletes , if not for his ability to fight then Ali is a loud mouthed asshole . I don't have a problem with anything he's done but I also don't put him unjustly on a pedestal for being good at his sport . Entertainers get more credit and blame than they deserve .

GWB was in uniform. Wherher or not he was actually there remains a question. Clinton was in England with no intention of serving

To my understanding, that wasn't even his rationale for not fighting.
Of course it wasn't. Lot of glossing over and sloppiness in all this celebration. It's what happens when famous people die, so no worries.

I heard Dave Kindred (HOF sportswriter from Louisville) on the radio earlier today. He said "doesn't everyone by now agree that the Vietnam War was a mistake? So Ali comes out on the right side of that one."

Stupid and lazy thinking. If Ali had said "I would gladly have fought in WWI or WWII, because those were justifiable wars. But I cannot fight in Vietnam as I think it's an unjust war." Then Dave would have a point. But of course that's no what he said or thought. He said his conscience wouldn't allow him to fight, because of the teachings of his religion (a religion which taught that white people are Devils, by the way, no one seems much interested in that). So, he wouldn't have fought against Hitler, either. Which would've been interesting - all these people celebrating Ali for "standing up for what he believed in", what would they have said if he'd have refused service in World War II? Because, obviously, he would have.....

I don't understand the caption to that video. It says "Ali attacks anti-white Parkinson." What it is is a full throated and spirited endorsement by Ali of segregation. Whites should stay with whites, blacks with blacks, Chinese with Chinese. You need to hide this - you're going to disillusion those who have put Ali on some sort of social justice pedestal.

Wait until they find out he endorsed Ronald Reagan. Heads will explode.....

GWB was in uniform. Wherher or not he was actually there remains a question. Clinton was in England with no intention of serving

Yeah just like GWB was in uniform when he declared from the air craft carrier that the war in Iraq was OVER... LOL...

But remember Bill said he didn't inhale.....:grimace:

AlohaCat

I don't understand the caption to that video. It says "Ali attacks anti-white Parkinson." What it is is a full throated and spirited endorsement by Ali of segregation. Whites should stay with whites, blacks with blacks, Chinese with Chinese. You need to hide this - you're going to disillusion those who have put Ali on some sort of social justice pedestal.

The thin is, who cares! Seriously that's the problem with using racism as a barometer of hate or social injustice.

Are we so weak anymore that the slightest difference of opinion or idea and someone is useless?

Get over yourselfs and know you can in general not like groups of people if that's your thing, but at least be mindful and respectful.

Craziest funeral I have ever witnessed. He sure made sure to include everyone.

Gordie Howe, who's considered the greatest hockey player ever, also died this week.

2016 has been a beast.

Anyone worried about him dodging the draft really should try to remember what this country was then. Then realize most of them wouldn't want their children fighting most of our wars today and realize how awful they are.

He was selected, intentionally BTW, and immediately told he could fight a few fights to rally the troops the train for a professional fight and be sent home and never touch a weapon.

He was being used because of the racial tension at the time and they hoped he could rally thousands of blacks to be ok to go to war for country they weren't even allowed to be in public establishments in several cities/states.

He wouldn't go for it and had several million dollars to earn in foreign countries and the US took his passport and jailed him.

Takes a lot of balls to stand up for what you believe in.
Not arguing a few of your points but takes a lot of balls when you received the letter from DoD saying "Greetings" you have been selected and you report to duty also. Many of us did. [thumb2]

Ali was a complex individual, like most of us. I have very mixed feelings about him. I haven't researched this lately. I'm basing it on past readings and memories from when I was a kid. That being said, Islam in America was at war during the 60's. Malcolm X, who I believe was an advisor to Ali at one time, was basically at war with the Nation of Islam and Elijah Muhammad. Ali joined the Nation of Islam and often thanked Elijah Muhammad after he fought. The Nation of Islam taught separatism and that white people were the devil. It was also suspected that they were behind the murder of Malcolm X. That side of Ali is pretty deplorable. However, he also did other admirable things. It's hard to say who the real Ali was. Perhaps with age, he changed his thinking on certain aspects of his beliefs. Who really knows.

you thin skin float wavers need to watch Watch "the trials of Muhammad Ali"on Netflix. Then your heads will explode like Michael Ironside scanning that one dude

Not arguing a few of your points but takes a lot of balls when you received the letter from DoD saying "Greetings" you have been selected and you report to duty also. Many of us did. [thumb2]

And I salute that because I'd like to think I'd do the same. However I wouldn't nor did you get offered to just go along and be a sideshow to rally the troops!

Kind of changes the ballgame some. Sure it gives comfort to the idea of actually going but it shows how much BS it was at the time too!

Reactions: TexKat
The whole draft thing to me was always a stance to me showing that government doesn't know best and we don't have to listen to them just bc they say so. He showed we can be bigger than the government if we think something is wrong.

You can give me crap about this, but anybody under 40 (and probably 45) has no memory of Ali as a boxer or personality and should cool it with the "he's touched me" tributes. He's not much different than Babe Ruth to me. The greatest in his sport? Yes. A transformational athlete? Of course. But someone who did all his real work before I was born.

Oh, and Bryant Gumbel is such a douche. He always plays up the race angle with everything. Does he not realize that everybody younger than 40 thinks of him only as a nerd?

Reactions: KingOfBBN
Watched a small segment of the tribute to Ali yesterday. I saw Billy Crystal's speech as well as clinton's. I don't know that I've agreed with much of what clinton has said over the years, but his comments about Ali essentially not giving in to the "victim" mentality that so many people seem to embrace hit a home run with me. IMO, the greatest tribute to the man was that he made the decision to make something of himself and did it. Yeah, he griped about racism, etc... but he didn't wallow in it or allow it to be an excuse. He worked hard and became successful. In that way, he was a model for not only "his people", a term that was used yesterday, but for all of us.

Reactions: jameslee32
My uncle served several tours in Vietnam and to this day thinks Ali is a POS. I will just remember him as a great fighter who did a lot of good for people but he had his flaws like all of us do.

I can see that point^. But your uncle was white. As another poster said, how would you feel if your country treated you like shit and then said now go possibly die for all of us dropping N bombs on you. I understand why he said touch off.

I mean if I were drafted to go to a war like Iraq or something like that I would have to take a long hard look at it. No way I'm walking straight into the desert blindly because my government decided they want some natural resources or whatever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT