ADVERTISEMENT

The game last night was a microcosm for the Calipari Era. Did I miss any?

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
1. Exciting freshmen who are initially rusty but end up exhibiting skills that show how good they'll be in 4 or 5 years.
2. The team plays well enough at times to let you see they could beat anyone in the country.
3. Key injuries that make you say under your breath, "If only (insert name) was healthy."
4. At least one freshman goes AWOL in a high-stakes game and shoots somewhere between 10 to 25% from the field.
5. At least one player who typically shoots 70 - 80% from the free throw line suddenly goes 20-40% from the free throw line.
6. UK with the late lead, only to fold in the last 2-4 minutes as the other team out-executes them when it matters most.

Did I miss any?

1. Exciting freshmen who are initially rusty but end up exhibiting skills that show how good they'll be in 4 or 5 years.
2. The team plays well enough at times to let you see they could beat anyone in the country.
3. Key injuries that make you say under your breath, "If only (insert name) was healthy."
4. At least one freshman goes AWOL in a high-stakes game and shoots somewhere between 10 to 25% from the field.
5. At least one player who typically shoots 70 - 80% from the free throw line suddenly goes 20-40% from the free throw line.
6. UK with the late lead, only to fold in the last 2-4 minutes as the other team out-executes them when it matters most.

Did I miss any?
Cal making excuses for the players and him saying that he likes his team.

Starting and giving max minutes to the highest rated NBA prospects (ie. Wagner and Edwards) even when they’re being outplayed by their backups.

That has always been an uncomfortably recurring theme with Cal.
Good point.

I'd also add that Cal's end-game offense looked totally lost. Reminded me of 2015 Wisconsin, 2018 Kansas State, 2023 Kansas State, 2019 Auburn, and 2022 St. Peter's.

7. Terrible offensive possession after terrible offensive possession in the second half. Aka bad, contested shot after bad, contested shot.

Idk, here’s an idea, get reed Sheppard and dilly (the two who brought their games) on the floor asap in winning time and run some stuff to get them open looks.

But our coach is a goddamned fvcking moron/scam artist.

Hard to not like our team overall and the effort they put forth last night. Also hard to ignore that the more things change the more they stay the same. Edwards is a great kid for certain but not seeing the top 5 pick potential in him or wagner for that matter. Cal will stick with them all year long though regardless of production.

Reactions: JumperJack
I think the play that stood out to me the most was that play in the second half when UK was in transition. DJ Wagner was running one-on-one in the open court against a Kansas player, and Wagner had a step on the defender.

I thought to myself, "He's going to blow this layup", and he did.

Pretty much the Cal era in one microcosmic play. As fans, we get to see just enough light at the end of the tunnel to have hope, only to have the "shot" (Cal's career at UK) rim out.

Reactions: CROCAT
Good assessment. Cal got out coached the last 4 minutes. Living by the three last night was fools gold. Shep needs to start and play 35 minutes. Dillingham is streaky but seems ahead of a couple others. Just because you came out of high school as potential number 1 pick doesn’t mean you are but Cal has been and always will be more about draft day than winning at KY.

Reactions: bnewt
Wisky revisited...recruit like Tarzan, coach like corpse...

mD5gjwL.png

• Haha
Reactions: CROCAT
Must have promised Wagner's family a certain number of minutes because the kid just does not look the part. Clearly Reed and Dilly are better college players at this point. I think Edwards will come around in time. Cal definitely needs a shot blocker in his offense but there is absolutely no guarantee given recent history that any of these big guys will play at Kentucky.

Good point.

I'd also add that Cal's end-game offense looked totally lost. Reminded me of 2015 Wisconsin, 2018 Kansas State, 2023 Kansas State, 2019 Auburn, and 2022 St. Peter's.
Thiero even said it out loud in the post-game. He used the word "age" but he meant to say "clock" .... he said they were having fun and then stopped having fun .... they tigthened up because they model the behavior of their leader. Cal was loose and laughing at midcourt at tip .... then .... see the games you listed above.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Thiero even said it out loud in the post-game. He used the word "age" but he meant to say "clock" .... he said they were having fun and then stopped having fun .... they tigthened up because they model the behavior of their leader. Cal was loose and laughing at midcourt at tip .... then .... see the games you listed above.
Cal used to burn villages down when he was younger, and his players emulated that. Now, he's hesitant and plays it safe. There's draft stock to protect, after all. Winning only matters in the most secondary way imaginable for him. What really matters is getting these guys to the NBA draft finish line.

It's all about NBA legacy with Calipari. That's his primary focus. He'd rather have 20 NBA All-Stars on his resume than 2 NCAA national titles.

Cal used to burn villages down when he was younger, and his players emulated that. Now, he's hesitant and plays it safe. There's draft stock to protect, after all. Winning only matters in the most secondary way imaginable for him. What really matters is getting these guys to the NBA draft finish line.

It's all about NBA legacy with Calipari. That's his primary focus. He'd rather have 20 NBA All-Stars on his resume than 2 NCAA national titles.
your last statement is so true & the reason that this used car salesman must go.

7. Terrible offensive possession after terrible offensive possession in the second half. Aka bad, contested shot after bad, contested shot.

Idk, here’s an idea, get reed Sheppard and dilly (the two who brought their games) on the floor asap in winning time and run some stuff to get them open looks.

But our coach is a goddamned fvcking moron/scam artist.
Will this be another Harrison year with Ullis and Booker waiting to come in the game?

Did I miss any?
Benching the hot player. Never seen anything like it.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT