ADVERTISEMENT

The Clown's pretentious music thread. (music that only really smart people like)

This is over the head of the average 'Hair Band Loving" "Led Zepplin Rules' troglodyte. I get that. And I get the haters who wrongly accuse her of ruining the Beatles, and the philistines who object to her decision not to adhere to strict musical constraints.

But after a long day, I like to sit back with a couple fingers of Maccallan, and let Yoko put me in another sphere of consciousness. Start at the 3.40 mark. Listen for 20 seconds. Recognize the genius? If the answer is no, the problem is you, not her. A true musical and artistic original.

It was made for only those who have the capacity to appreciate it. The rest are trash who can suck it.

Lot of Instrumental with Jazz/funk influences on my list

Tauk
New Mastersounds
Stuff - group of funk/R&B studio musicians
Chieftans
Ghost Light
Jazzmatazz (Guru from Gang Starr)
Greyboy Allstars
Joan Armatrading
Robert Cray - HUGE fan
Voodoo Visionary
Mazzy Star - pretty dark & somber but one of my top 5 bands.

justa - The New Mastersounds are insane musicians. Howthree pasty white brits can funk/soul it up like that defies logic. The only explanation is they hired a black guy to play bass.

Ouststanding, on two levels.

A singer that is too disinterested to stay in the right key (bonus points for the hair)

An organ player that is really talented, but with the prog rock unawareness of when to lay off the gas. IOW - He's not done until he's absolutely positive that that fvcking horse is dead.

It's not a bad groove though. Actually like it better than the original .

This is really long, so I'll understand if you skip it. Peter Schickele was a master at poking fun of the pretentiousness of classical music. I doubt most on here have ever heard of him/PDQ Bach but if you have the time, it's a pretty good listen. PDQ Bach's "The Seasonings"

The opening monologue is pretty funny. The first movement: Tarragon of Virtue is "meh", but if you want to skip ahead to the 8:00 minute mark it gets better.

You'll either like this, or hate it. But at least I warned you. If any of you were ever a music major, you'll probably appreciate it more.

Reactions: BigTyrone
BigTyrone - did you ever watch that documentary on him? My God... That was a mix of sadness/laughter/and horror. Just one of the most truly bizarre stories I've ever heard.

A lot of great songwriters maintain that he was the best songwriter they ever knew.

And, you get the Clown Gold Star for the day. I cannot believe this dude didn't come to mind when I started this thread.

Been loving Binaural Beats “Sleep” lately, have used the “Focus” while reading too. Awesome dreams and great sleep, you all wouldn’t understand…it’s too deep.

I know it’s not a band but it’s good new stuff for me.

Bandwise-Ryan Adams & the Cardinals, I’ve rarely met someone who’s listened to most of their catalogue.

Reactions: HymanKaplan
Meh, been sitting on this for a while. Nothing is more polarizing than jazz, so, just because I'm bored, I present what is almost universally regarded as the hardest arrangement for jazz piano in history, performed by the greatest jazz pianist in jazz history.

Tiger Rag - Art Tatum

Oh yeah, Art Tatum was blind.

8487c502-3dd6-42b2-8f55-adf360514beb_text.gif

ELP - Maybe the first bust on the Mt. Rushmore of bands that their fans use to belittle the pop music fan/simpletons. I'm honestly surprised it took this long.

Reactions: Tskware and parrott
Ouststanding, on two levels.

A singer that is too disinterested to stay in the right key (bonus points for the hair)

An organ player that is really talented, but with the prog rock unawareness of when to lay off the gas. IOW - He's not done until he's absolutely positive that that fvcking horse is dead.

It's not a bad groove though. Actually like it better than the original .
Glad you enjoyed it. The backstory about how Julie Driscoll became a vocalist is very interesting.

I’ve seen Brian Auger five times.
He’s an incredible keyboardist.

Glad you enjoyed it. The backstory about how Julie Driscoll became a vocalist is very interesting.

I’ve seen Brian Auger five times.
He’s an incredible keyboardist.
I really did. And if it seemed like I was poking fun, that's just what I do. In a way, that is what alternative music is all about. Imperfections and quirks, and just general weirdness is what makes it real, at the risk of sounding like a douche. I like a LOT of pop music, and anyone that says they don't is a damn liar. But people that don't give fringe music genres/acts a chance are cheating themselves.

Reactions: megablue
I really did. And if it seemed like I was poking fun, that's just what I do. In a way, that is what alternative music is all about. Imperfections and quirks, and just general weirdness is what makes it real, at the risk of sounding like a douche. I like a LOT of pop music, and anyone that says they don't is a damn liar. But people that don't give fringe music genres/acts a chance are cheating themselves.
This is very interesting. Auger is a master musician and very cool person. He is the “Godfather of Acid Jazz” …

Last edited:
  • Love
Bridge City Sinners reminded of a warmup act I saw back when The Dame was still on Main (opened for Horton Heat)

The Horror Pops. They had Go-Go dancers in prom dresses, packing pistols, and one of them had an eye patch. LOL

Fun show though.

Bridge City Sinners reminded of a warmup act

saw back when The Dame was still on Main (opened for Horton Heat)

The Horror Pops. They had Go-Go dancers in prom dresses, packing pistols, and one of them had an eye patch. LOL

Fun show though.

I’ve seen them several times … GREAT !!!

I used to go to The Dame 3/4 days a week … such a FABULOUS PLACE !!!

Brian Auger played there twice … he came to Lexington because he wanted to play in the birthplace town of one of his heroes … Les McCann … !!

CaptainBoogerBuns is clearly making sport, but you can't help but love a flyby Ween and Jim Nabors napalm strike. LOL

Bravo. LOL

• Love
Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT