ADVERTISEMENT

The Clown's pretentious music thread. (music that only really smart people like)

HymanKaplan

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 14, 2001
Let's see what you bust out, when you really want to lord your intellect all over the plebians.

Bands, songs, genres that others/most don't like, which only confirms your judgement because, "they don't really understand it."

Let's see how high we can build this horse.

Last edited:
Caveman is not off to a very good start.

I had a bet with myself that the first response would be a Captain Beefheart track, and most likely by rudd (who is the furthest thing from pretentious, but he could imitate one in his sleep, just to get into the spirit of things)

That's actually pretty fvcking fantastic. The only thing that would ruin it is if a bunch of other people agree. that reminds me a lot of Pete Rock ( but smarter)

I knew you'd step up to the plate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mossip
Caveman is not off to a very good start.

I had a bet with myself that the first response would be a Captain Beefheart track, and most likely by rudd (who is the furthest thing from pretentious, but he could imitate one in his sleep, just to get into the spirit of things)
Dude, this has to be a no judgment zone. Now I am glad I did not introduce you to Blake Shelton. Geez!!

• Love
Reactions: HymanKaplan
This is the ULTIMATE judgement zone. So grab your fair trade coffee, your handrolled cigarettes, your Mac Book Pro, and strap in. LOL

Reactions: roguemocha
That's what I'm talking about. That's the perfect balance of awesome and inaccesibility.

Damn, that really IS good.

Between you and Mossip, my Zappa post seems pedestrian.

Fishmans (Japanese: フィッシュマンズ, Hepburn: Fisshumanzu) are a Japanese band formed in 1987 in Minato, Tokyo. They are known for their unique psychedelic sound and the distinctive vocals of the late lead singer Shinji Sato, as well as the drum playing of Kin-Ichi Motegi and rocksteady basslines of Yuzuru Kashiwabara.[1] Fishmans remained relatively underground and disbanded with the sudden death of Shinji Sato in 1999

I think most people would call a obscure Japanese band pretentious, but most people are stupid.

I've been hunting this on vinyl for a minute.

How about a Swedish rock/disco/pop/jazz/gospel/electronica fusion group where one of the guys has an å in his name and they do ridiculous drum and bass fills. It's still Pop-ish, but the European-ness and their playing skills are not accessible for plebians.

funkycat -That definitely qualifies, because even though it's poppie, those guys have bona-fide/serious chops. Real musicians chase off plebes. Having a horn section is a strike against, but the drummer and bass player cancel that out in spades.

Only one album, and it's essentially a Les Claypool side project, but it knocks the bottom out.

the video ALONE just screams pretentious nonsense, from the highest mountain top. LOL

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
For any country fans that want to dabble in lesser know pretentiousness.

Anything by Frank Zappa

Close second is Phish or even Grateful Dead, literally never heard one song by them that I thought was worth a crap.

Reactions: gamecockcat
Let's take a timeout.

gobigbluebell gets 20 minutes in the penalty box (even if that was supposed to be funny) LOL

Reactions: B.B.d.K.
Let's not forget the entire catalog from Yoko Ono, which my doctor has recommended I not post as even that insignificant encounter could cause convulsions. Music made only for the creator as it's awful, pretentious and as inaccessible as Fort Knox.

Reactions: Tskware
This is over the head of the average 'Hair Band Loving" "Led Zepplin Rules' troglodyte. I get that. And I get the haters who wrongly accuse her of ruining the Beatles, and the philistines who object to her decision not to adhere to strict musical constraints like melody and rhythm and singing.

But after a long day, I like to sit back with a couple fingers of Maccallan, and let Yoko put me in another sphere of consciousness. Start at the 3.40 mark. Listen for 20 seconds. Recognize the genius? If the answer is no, the problem is you, not her. A true musical and artistic original.

Last edited:
I think some have already failed at HK's instructions. Anything by Phish or DMB does not qualify as music for the intellectual, but rather those who don't understand music. JMO...expert opinion, of course.

Written 50 yrs ago by a youthful 24 yr old Boss....my mind couldn't grasp the concept of anything past ps'y and beer at that age, much less compose a masterpiece.

• Haha
Reactions: rudd1
Really Mark? You're going to bash people for DMB, and then turnaround and post Bruce Springsteen? One of the LEAST "niche" artists in the entire history of music? Bruce Springsteen is like Fazoli's - It's just three songs/dishes that are all the same food, just in different shapes. Mass consumer mindless pablum.

GTFO. LOL

Last edited:
Really Mark? You're going to bash people for DMB, and then turnaround and post Bruce Springsteen? One of the LEAST "niche" artists in the entire history of music? Bruce Springsteen is like Fazoli's - It's just three songs/dishes that are all the same food, just in different shapes. Mass consumer mindless pablum.

GTFO. LOL

This was guaranteed from that dbag. THE BOSS!!!!!

🤣

GTFO. LOL
ksi-mood.gif

• Haha
Reactions: HymanKaplan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT