ADVERTISEMENT

The case for and against Kentucky football in 2023

Fair report, I think the optimistic scenario is much more likely to play out than the pessimistic one at least most of it. The line pieces are there and the Coen offense will not look anything like previous run oriented offenses we have had here so while we may not have the physical short yard back, we will be more versatile and use the short passing game in short yardage situations.

One name that doesn't get mentioned but could become big this year is Alex Reynor, the transfer kicker from Georgia Southern. More than likely we will play in a very close game or three this season which could well be decided by a last second kick. Reynor is deadly from 40 and in and could be a real difference maker.

Enjoy reading things like this during the offseason”. Nice job. Can’t wait to see how this plays out in the fall. Very exciting!

Agree that the positives are more likely to pan out vs negatives

1. UK biggest strength to me if our front 7 vs rhe run. I just don’t see teams running the ball at Walker Ox Rybka Hayes/Silver wjtb DJack snd Wallve behind them. And JJ/Wade in the edge wjtb Afari in that extra safety look. So teams are going to have to throw it
2. The Wr core is the other obvious strength to me. key is a NFL Wr to me. He is amazing hands, long, ball skills are best I’ve seen at UK. Brown has speed and potential galore. Tayvion csn be a wrecker over the middle. With Coen snd Leary…the offense csn spreading the ball around so much

To me the lone issue is Oline and a Yenser. Is the guy a colossal flop. But with Coen back who can scheme around flaws and goodness we have two new tackles somewhat proven and Cox and good ole Horsey back at guards (wheee they are proven)……if this spot is above average we could be New Year’s Day good in my book

Agree that the positives are more likely to pan out vs negatives

1. UK biggest strength to me if our front 7 vs rhe run. I just don’t see teams running the ball at Walker Ox Rybka Hayes/Silver wjtb DJack snd Wallve behind them. And JJ/Wade in the edge wjtb Afari in that extra safety look. So teams are going to have to throw it
2. The Wr core is the other obvious strength to me. key is a NFL Wr to me. He is amazing hands, long, ball skills are best I’ve seen at UK. Brown has speed and potential galore. Tayvion csn be a wrecker over the middle. With Coen snd Leary…the offense csn spreading the ball around so much

To me the lone issue is Oline and a Yenser. Is the guy a colossal flop. But with Coen back who can scheme around flaws and goodness we have two new tackles somewhat proven and Cox and good ole Horsey back at guards (wheee they are proven)……if this spot is above average we could be New Year’s Day good in my book
I hope keeping Yenser is a sign they figured the OLine problem was part and parcel to the schemes the OC was coming up with and not necessarily Yenser. This year will tell the tale of whether that was true or not. I hope it wasn't a case of keeping the lesser of two evils around for the sake of some continuity.

1. Bama 2.UGA,3. Tennessee,4. Miss State,5.Either Fla or South Carolina
Yeah. Worst case possible

But if Ky losses at home to sunbelt Billy team….we were never good team from the start

Miss st ../I get they are on rhe road but Leach is gone and the new coach isn’t an air raid guru. Again…/a good Ky team get over rhe road curse in Starkville

Sure Bama UGA Tennessee and South Carolina on road….we are likely underdogs in all I’d like to imagine we can split Tennessee or at USC

A top tier defense and Coen led offense….I just don’t see Ky losing all the toss up games

JR's article is well organized and clear. There is nothing new here, but it is still a good read. By now, all of us are full of anticipation. I must take issue with the assertion that there is no workhouse in the backfield. Davis has been a workhorse, although not at UK. If Jefferson is healthy, you could even say the same about him once he shakes off the rust. JR was right to say Leary's health is a source of concern, but that is true for every great player. In football, seasons can change on one play. One thing for sure is that this Kentucky team is better than last year's version.

Good article. I can't quibble with any of it. I'm disappointed that UK has not been able to get a decent backup QB, as that could certainly come into play this year (though I hope it does not).

The schedule is absolutely brutal, to the point where I think a 5-0 start is necessary in order to have a good (to very good or great) year.

Reactions: jauk11
Good article. I can't quibble with any of it. I'm disappointed that UK has not been able to get a decent backup QB, as that could certainly come into play this year (though I hope it does not).

The schedule is absolutely brutal, to the point where I think a 5-0 start is necessary in order to have a good (to very good or great) year.
IMO it just seems that it's much easier to recruit a quality starting QB through the portal than it is a backup. The QB position consists of one player that isn't often subed out for, so backup QB isn't exactly a high demand spot. To have a quality backup on the roaster it just seems that it needs to come from your younger players that were recruited out of high school. We have 3 guys with talent, chances are at least one has grown into potentially taking the job.

All SEC football schedules are a challenge. I don't see this one as being brutal per se. For an improving team like Kentucky with a good SEC defense, I see this schedule as an opportunity, especially catching Bama in Lexington while Saban breaks in a new OC and rebuilds his offensive backfield and OL.

IMO it just seems that it's much easier to recruit a quality starting QB through the portal than it is a backup. The QB position consists of one player that isn't often subed out for, so backup QB isn't exactly a high demand spot. To have a quality backup on the roaster it just seems that it needs to come from your younger players that were recruited out of high school. We have 3 guys with talent, chances are at least one has grown into potentially taking the job.
Good thoughts on the QB position Dee!

Peace

Interesting point about receiver depth. Awful lot of Kentucky receivers hit the portal and left. We do not know yet what will become of Crowdus. The starters are good, but someone has to step up behind them. Porter and Brown, I think. Great chance for Banks if he is ready. We might find out if Beckwith can play in this offense.

Reactions: pumpedupcats
I believe the Florida game is so important to this season. We win, I like where we will be at the end of the year because it will be a great confidence builder for some really tough games we will stay have to play later on. We lose… I don’t want to talk about it.

I believe we win and go on to a very good season with some losses to simply better teams. Go Big Blue!!!

Backup QB ... 3 with potential but need one to step up. At least the backup QBs didn't discourage a top transfer. Leary knew his obstacle was his health. Boley a good recruit but UK will again be attractive in the portal.

Backup QB ... 3 with potential but need one to step up. At least the backup QBs didn't discourage a top transfer. Leary knew his obstacle was his health. Boley a good recruit but UK will again be attractive in the portal.
I was at a gathering last weekend & talked to someone who knows inside football stuff sometimes....he said the idea of Leary returning for 2024 isn't totally ridiculous, and has been talked about. With the extra covid yr available, and his injury history along with size might make him unattractive to the NFL even if he has a great 2023. Being UK starting QB in 2024 might be Leary's best financial option.

And wouldn't that be perfect to ease Boley into SEC football for a season instead of thrusting in immediately.

Where are the five losses?

I honestly don’t see it unless Leary goes down early

First I don't think there are 5 losses, but there are no sure wins in the SEC. I think the key for UK is Leary has to stay healthy, same as most teams not named LSU.
1. Bama 2.UGA,3. Tennessee,4. Miss State,5.Either Fla or South Carolina

I don't know much about State, but I think they arecreplacing a QB and replacing their head coach with a first time head coach I believe. Don't see UK being threatened in that game. Of the other 4 there 3 are replacing starting QBs, UT's started a couple games after the starter was hurt. But the vols present a unique issue by the speed they try to play, have to adapt quick or be down a couple scores early. I think you have to feel comfortable playing man against them to avoid confusion at the snap, Chumlee is clueless in making an adjustment. Carolina is bringing back argueably a top3 QB and an all SEC WR. They will be dangerous, but a little pressure and Rattler is rattled. I think UF will be lucky to get bowl eligible. Bama and UGA will likely be favored, but both will have new OCs and QBs so who knows what results on the field.

At the worst I see 3 having a chance to beat UK of those 5. I think State struggles this fall and getting 4 wins will be tough. UF plays 10 P5 teams and could go 0-10, best case is 2-8. Think they could be ok defensively but will struggle to score.

I understand and agree, but Ole Miss managed to recruit and keep 3-4 quality QB on their roster.

I understand and agree, but Ole Miss managed to recruit and keep 3-4 quality QB on their roster.

I thought they brought 2 in during portal season this year, their starter from last year returns I think but who is to say those 2 recent transfers, who expect to play. Will stay wh r n they aren't playing?

I believe the Florida game is so important to this season. We win, I like where we will be at the end of the year because it will be a great confidence builder for some really tough games we will stay have to play later on. We lose… I don’t want to talk about it.

I believe we win and go on to a very good season with some losses to simply better teams. Go Big Blue!!!

Right now UF looks like a big game, but one forecaster has them picked for 7th in the East. They are counting on a xfer QB who has never set the world on fire and one of the weaker receiving groups in the SEC. They have a good group of RB, but not a great OL and a weak passing game means points will be tough to come by. Add that to a 10 game P5 schedule I think they have a hard time getting to a bowl and 2-10 wouldn't be out of the question.

Their losses which included an AA and a top 5 pick AB doesn't offer a very promising season.

Right now UF looks like a big game, but one forecaster has them picked for 7th in the East. They are counting on a xfer QB who has never set the world on fire and one of the weaker receiving groups in the SEC. They have a good group of RB, but not a great OL and a weak passing game means points will be tough to come by. Add that to a 10 game P5 schedule I think they have a hard time getting to a bowl and 2-10 wouldn't be out of the question.

Their losses which included an AA and a top 5 pick AB doesn't offer a very promising season.
I understand all of this, but to us, beating UF is huge no matter how bad they are.

I understand all of this, but to us, beating UF is huge no matter how bad they are.
Have you attended a recent UK-FL game? We beat FL three out of the last four and we were clearly the better team in all four games. Last year, we stole their souls. When Jordan Wright intercepted Anthony Richardson, their players packed it in. Winning any SEC game is big. Our program exists to win SEC games and our coaches are being paid well to get this done. But having attended all the recent UK-FL games, I expect to beat them now. Not saying we will run off 20 straight wins, but we are noticeably the better football program with the better coaching staff right now.

Have you attended a recent UK-FL game? We beat FL three out of the last four and we were clearly the better team in all four games. Last year, we stole their souls. When Jordan Wright intercepted Anthony Richardson, their players packed it in. Winning any SEC game is big. Our program exists to win SEC games and our coaches are being paid well to get this done. But having attended all the recent UK-FL games, I expect to beat them now. Not saying we will run off 20 straight wins, but we are noticeably the better football program with the better coaching staff right now.
I've attended every game against UF at UK since the 90s. I've attended several UK games in the swamp (albeit not either of the two recent wins, unfortunately).

I'm well aware of our current situation with Florida. The point I was making above is that we only have 3 wins against UF since Reagan was president. The wins are still like gold. And even though we feel like we have the better team now, I still cherish it every time it happens and certainly do not "count on" a win against them.

Really good article. As for backup quarterbacks the transfer portal has pretty much made solid backups an extinct species at all positions.

Speaking of portal transfer qbs, saw over the weekend Beau Allen won't get a waiver to portal a 2nd time from Tarleton St to Georgia Southern, and is ineligible. Sucks, bad way for CFB career to end.

They had a long run against UGA too that lasted about 20 years. But things change, I expect to beat them now, we are the better program, have the better staff and roster. You could change the name from UGA to UK and the statement would be just as true.

Now if Gator nation has the patience Napier is likely to turn them around, their recruiting is very good this year and likely top 7-8. But they likely won't when they don't win 7-8 games. I think 5 will be tough to get

Reactions: jauk11
I was at a gathering last weekend & talked to someone who knows inside football stuff sometimes....he said the idea of Leary returning for 2024 isn't totally ridiculous, and has been talked about. With the extra covid yr available, and his injury history along with size might make him unattractive to the NFL even if he has a great 2023. Being UK starting QB in 2024 might be Leary's best financial option.

And wouldn't that be perfect to ease Boley into SEC football for a season instead of thrusting in immediately.
Is this Leary's 5th year? I thought this was it for him. Class of 18 guy.

Edit:
I was wrong. He would have one year of eligibility left!

Reactions: JHB4UK

Very interesting, but if he has a good, injury free year this season, I don't think he would consider risking playing another year so long as he has a decent draft projection.

Very interesting, but if he has a good, injury free year this season, I don't think he would consider risking playing another year so long as he has a decent draft projection.
I agree but there is one wildcard. This class is loaded with potential NFL quarterbacks. That may not be true for the following class if he stays the extra year. That could move him much higher in the draft.

I agree but there is one wildcard. This class is loaded with potential NFL quarterbacks. That may not be true for the following class if he stays the extra year. That could move him much higher in the draft.
Great point.

Caleb Williams snd Drake Maye are guys people are slotting high….and there are assuredly others

If we get two years of Leary …/man that would be unreal good potentially

Id say 8 and 4 if you held a gun to my head. If not for the embarrassing vandy loss we get there last season despite the injuries and online issues.

SEC is tough and the 2nd half of schedule is pretty brutal. Starting 5 and 0 would be huge and gives UK a shot at a better finish than 8 regular season wins.

Don't see it against Georgia or bama but between msu, SC and tn can see winning 2 of 3 with obvious shot to win all 3. Could also lose all 3 or go 1 and 2. A fascinating trio of opponents.

Id say 8 and 4 if you held a gun to my head. If not for the embarrassing vandy loss we get there last season despite the injuries and online issues.

SEC is tough and the 2nd half of schedule is pretty brutal. Starting 5 and 0 would be huge and gives UK a shot at a better finish than 8 regular season wins.

Don't see it against Georgia or bama but between msu, SC and tn can see winning 2 ofGeorgia Southeren beating Nebraska. 3 with obvious shot to win all 3. Could also lose all 3 or go 1 and 2. A fascinating trio of opponents.
Beating Bama this time is not out of the question. It would be an upset. Nobody will predict it. But Saban lost star players after 2022, and the game is in Lexington. This would not be as crazy as Appy State beating Michigan or Georgia Southern beating Nebraska. Remember, Kentucky's defense was as good as Bama's last year and we have a bunch of talent back. With healthy Leary and our A game, we can beat anyone on our schedule on a given Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT