ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky football: Final grades on the 2023 season article

D- disappointed frustrating bonehead coaching or lack of season

I think Leary takes too much heat. New program, new system, coming off injury.

He threw 25 tuds. More than any QB since Andre. Other than Will Levis year 1, Leary probably had more 300 yd games than anyone since Andre too, maybe Hartline had a couple. But as far as CMS era QBs go, Leary is one of the most productive.

The passing offense was ranked higher nationally than the rushing O. So, if rushing gets a B... maybe you factor in just a few too many picks so B-/C+

WRs, probably spot on. All the talent/potential in the world...a lot of drops.

I think TEs need to be involved more. I mean, it's a small sample size in terms of catches, and opportunities for the group but every one of them is 15+ yds give or take per reception. CMS and Marrow have got to give them over to LC and the passing game.

OL, pretty fair. If they improve marginally and get to a B next season, that would go a long way.

Defense overall, fair. Pretty much a B across the board, back end needs some improvement.

Special teams. Okay. Think Stoops needs to get some money from Mitch to go hire real deal specialized kicking and punting coaches to put a little bit more range and accuracy on both legs.

CMS...fair grade. I think his biggest problem at this point is he doesn't want to let go nor modernize in some areas.

CMS needs to downsize. Focus on recruiting, and defense. The two things he has done well and overall improved. He can recruit and build depth especially on defense.

Let LC take over the offense and start pushing it.

Folks, 25 TDs with Leary, WRs who drop too many, and minimal TE involvement.

If LC is who we all think he is...he can get to and probably a bit over the 30 tud mark in the passing game. Just need a few tweaks here or there, and more room to do his thing.

Reactions: The-Hack and JC-3
I think Leary takes too much heat. New program, new system, coming off injury.

He threw 25 tuds. More than any QB since Andre. Other than Will Levis year 1, Leary probably had more 300 yd games than anyone since Andre too, maybe Hartline had a couple. But as far as CMS era QBs go, Leary is one of the most productive.

The passing offense was ranked higher nationally than the rushing O. So, if rushing gets a B... maybe you factor in just a few too many picks so B-/C+

WRs, probably spot on. All the talent/potential in the world...a lot of drops.

I think TEs need to be involved more. I mean, it's a small sample size in terms of catches, and opportunities for the group but every one of them is 15+ yds give or take per reception. CMS and Marrow have got to give them over to LC and the passing game.

OL, pretty fair. If they improve marginally and get to a B next season, that would go a long way.

Defense overall, fair. Pretty much a B across the board, back end needs some improvement.

Special teams. Okay. Think Stoops needs to get some money from Mitch to go hire real deal specialized kicking and punting coaches to put a little bit more range and accuracy on both legs.

CMS...fair grade. I think his biggest problem at this point is he doesn't want to let go nor modernize in some areas.

CMS needs to downsize. Focus on recruiting, and defense. The two things he has done well and overall improved. He can recruit and build depth especially on defense.

Let LC take over the offense and start pushing it.

Folks, 25 TDs with Leary, WRs who drop too many, and minimal TE involvement.

If LC is who we all think he is...he can get to and probably a bit over the 30 tud mark in the passing game. Just need a few tweaks here or there, and more room to do his thing.
Leary may take too much heat, but 56% completion rate, even with drops, is not what anyone expected. Numerous passes batted down. Obsession with throwing the bomb to BB with very little success. Lack of finding the right receiver to throw to at times. Inexplicable easy pitch-and-catch throws that weren't completed regularly. Certainly, he had some great moments and did some good things. But he wasn't near the upgrade many, including me, thought we were getting. And, had much better protection and receiving corps than did Levis his last season.

Leary may take too much heat, but 56% completion rate, even with drops, is not what anyone expected. Numerous passes batted down. Obsession with throwing the bomb to BB with very little success. Lack of finding the right receiver to throw to at times. Inexplicable easy pitch-and-catch throws that weren't completed regularly. Certainly, he had some great moments and did some good things. But he wasn't near the upgrade many, including me, thought we were getting. And, had much better protection and receiving corps than did Levis his last season.
The obsession is not from Leary on throwing the deep ball.

Freddie framed this perfectly on pre game. Some plays are “tagged” which means the ball is going there no matter what. BB was probably “tagged” on most of those deep balls.

Pretty fair. If we would just play cleaner and look prepared alot of these grades would go up a letter or more. TO’s, penalties, clock management etc arent talent based problems.

Pretty fair. If we would just play cleaner and look prepared alot of these grades would go up a letter or more. TO’s, penalties, clock management etc arent talent based problems.
yeah, we just need to clean a few things up...:)

I would switch the grades on the dline and linebackers . Wallace and Jackson were pretty good but our edge guys …..not so much .

I saw elsewhere that Jagar Burton had the worst PFF score for the entire season of any lineman with a pathetic score of 50 . How this kid continues to stay on the field is beyond me .

Reactions: gamecockcat
I would switch the grades on the dline and linebackers . Wallace and Jackson were pretty good but our edge guys …..not so much .

I saw elsewhere that Jagar Burton had the worst PFF score for the entire season of any lineman with a pathetic score of 50 . How this kid continues to stay on the field is beyond me .
Simple, Stoops and his favorites.

The obsession is not from Leary on throwing the deep ball.

Freddie framed this perfectly on pre game. Some plays are “tagged” which means the ball is going there no matter what. BB was probably “tagged” on most of those deep balls.
There was nothing that didn’t allow Leary to go to a check down if he didn’t like the original play, but never seemed he did.

There was nothing that didn’t allow Leary to go to a check down if he didn’t like the original play, but never seemed he did.
On many failed deep balls, there was no reason for Leary to check out of a long pass. Their failure was a lack of execution, not defensive alignment.

Reactions: FirewithFire
On many failed deep balls, there was no reason for Leary to check out of a long pass. Their failure was a lack of execution, not defensive alignment.

Except his accuracy and the coverage. Lol. You take what the defense gives you rather than trying to hit the highlight reel so often, especially when you're moving the ball and your TEs are working so hard for you every play.

It's fkn ridiculous to ignore wide open TEs and WRs underneath to try to hit a big play in tight coverage.... and it's lazy

My grade for the team is 79/100.
Or a C+.
Or a 3.4/5.
6.9/10

A dangerous team nevertheless because of offensive talent and a wildcard defense.

They couldve done better but were entertaining nonetheless.
💯

Reactions: The-Hack
It's fkn ridiculous to ignore wide open TEs and WRs underneath to try to hit a big play in tight coverage.... and it's lazy
Maybe that’s why we hit a TE for 70+ yards in the 4th Q. against Clemson.

They didn’t think we threw to them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT