ADVERTISEMENT

The best business decision reed can make.

PJ met Brittney Renner while at UK
Hope I'm wrong, but PJ strikes me as a part of one of those 80% of nba players that is broke within 10 years of after longer playing in the league. You have to think with more than with your....well!

No offense to anyone, but many of these Reed should stay posts read like they are trying to convince themselves he is staying more than anything.

I personally believe that there is almost zero chance that he comes back if he is lottery. Is there a chance, sure. Would he become an even bigger legend if he were to do so. Absolutely. But, getting to that second contract is multi generational wealth. His future kids and grandkids would essentially be set for life. People can say what they want, but if their child was in this situation I expect almost all of us would recommend the same. I certainly would.

Now, if he isn’t lottery, because of NIL possibilities, I think the equation flips completely and he is better off returning and trying to work his way to lotto next year.

Last edited:
Hope I'm wrong, but PJ strikes me as a part of one of those 80% of nba players that is broke within 10 years of after longer playing in the league. You have to think with more than with your....well!
I dont know how many kids he has, but he's paying at least $200k per month in child support to one of his exes.

Maybe he just wants to enjoy being a kid and a rockstar in the state he has grown up in and dreamed about playing for his whole life. Cant say that I'd blame him for that. Money isnt the main motivator for some people. But, I dont know the kid. Just seems like he was born to be a UK player and to only do it one year just doesnt seem right.

he needs to go pro as soon as possible because I want to see somebody from London Kentucky, Laurel County, playing in the NBA. As a kid growing up in London I would never thought those words would come out my mouth!!!!
So win the championship this year and go on big dog

I think if somehow some way this team wins a title, he would go. If we collapse again, I actually think Reed may come back in spite of advice to try to make a run next year. He'd be the missing link on that team.

The best "business" decision is to go pro. It's not even debatable.

Jordan Hawkins from UCONN was the 14th overall pick this year. His contract was for 4.3 million this year. It increases ~200K the next few years. There's a team option in 2026/27 for 7 million plus.

And maybe you say "But Cats192, what if we raise 4.3 million in NIL?" Maybe. But the bigger problem is that delays the second contract another year. And if you've been on this board any amount of time, you've heard the second contract is the one that matters.

People who recently hit their 2nd contract:
Anthony Edwards: 5 years, 260 million
Lamelo Ball: 5 years, 260 million
Tyrese Haliburton: 5 years, 260 million

Now, maybe you say "Cats192, I love Reed. But he won't be Anthony Edwards. C'mon man." Great point.

Desmond Bane (30th pick in 2020): 5 years, 207 million. Do you think Reed could get Desmond Bane money?

I'm sure Reed loves Kentucky. And part of him would love to be here for 4 years. But NIL doesn't compare to the 2nd contract. And he would be risking injury without getting that 1st NBA contract.

And sure, He could get injured in the NBA. But if the risk exists in both worlds--wouldn't you want to start the clock on the 2nd contract? He should be getting to that 200 million as fast as he can.

I appreciate that Reed and his family don't need money. They're not struggling. They're well off. That's great.

You still make the "set for life" decision when it looks you in the face. The whole "only going because he HAS to have money" really only applies to 2nd rounders/potentially undrafted guys. If you're a sure fire 1st rounder (and especially a lottery pick), you go because it's the right move.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Maybe he just wants to enjoy being a kid and a rockstar in the state he has grown up in and dreamed about playing for his whole life. Cant say that I'd blame him for that. Money isnt the main motivator for some people. But, I dont know the kid. Just seems like he was born to be a UK player and to only do it one year just doesnt seem right.
Maybe.

But we've watched this with Calipari teams for 12+ years now. The lottery picks don't come back very often. I'm sure Michael Kidd Gilchrist wanted to be a kid and a rockstar at Kentucky too. But he was smart enough to go pro.

He made over 60 million dollars. I don't think he regrets and wishes he'd been a kid for another year.

Reactions: Zissou87
No offense to anyone, but many of these Reed should stay posts read like they are trying to convince themselves he is staying more than anything.

I personally believe that there is almost zero chance that he comes back if he is lottery. Is there a chance, sure. Would he become an even bigger legend if he were to do so. Absolutely. But, getting to that second contract is multi generational wealth. His future kids and grandkids would essentially be set for life. People can say what they want, but if their child was in this situation I expect almost all of us would recommend the same. I certainly would.

Now, if he isn’t lottery, because of NIL possibilities, I think the equation flips completely and he is better off returning and trying to work his way to lotto next year.
Jim Carrey Chance GIF

Stay at UK at least 3 years. Take your pick of any of the very attractive intelligent women. Look for that potential mate. You bolt to the nba well you’ll end up with an influencer and all the drama that comes. Look at the quality woman his mom is and make that connection. That will save him more money than any nil nba contract endorsement he takes in the end.

If he’s a high lotto pick, he’s probably gone. There can be other factors at play though.

I just saw this article and found it interesting. Obviously some key differences like football vs bball and Southern California vs Kentucky. But say UK falls short of a title this year, he could get a nice payday and run it back one more time; but I don’t hold my breath assuming anyone returns.

He is a lottery pick, the best decision for him is to go to the draft
Being a lottery pick isn’t necessarily enough. You want to be so good that they can’t not play you so that by the time for your 2nd contract, the one that can set you for life, that you are close to your peak to maximize the value of that. So there is a financial reason to perhaps wait.
Then there is also the personal reasons, to not rush having to become an adult, to enjoy the college experience one more year, to get closer to a degree, and to maybe fulfill a childhood dream.

Being a lottery pick isn’t necessarily enough. You want to be so good that they can’t not play you so that by the time for your 2nd contract, the one that can set you for life, that you are close to your peak to maximize the value of that. So there is a financial reason to perhaps wait.
Then there is also the personal reasons, to not rush having to become an adult, to enjoy the college experience one more year, to get closer to a degree, and to maybe fulfill a childhood dream.
I get that, but this draft is the worst one In years and Reed could really stick out as one of the better players in the rookie class

Absolutely! A young man needs to be around all the spoiled millionaires, the hookers, the drugs, etc. Would be a great life. On the road constantly. too. Gret life.
You obviously never played sports in college and apparently don’t think Shep can make good decisions with his life.

Stay at UK at least 3 years. Take your pick of any of the very attractive intelligent women. Look for that potential mate. You bolt to the nba well you’ll end up with an influencer and all the drama that comes. Look at the quality woman his mom is and make that connection. That will save him more money than any nil nba contract endorsement he takes in the end.
Hell yeah, staying Lexington for the women... 😂

You obviously never played sports in college and apparently don’t think Shep can make good decisions with his life.
Where did I say I didn't think Reed could make good decisions with his life? I simply gave an example of the things he would be exposed to. He could moonlight as a priest for all I know.

I will admit I have an agenda. I want Reed to come back next year. I don't like the NBA. And I know for a fact that all the money in the world may not make a person one bit happier. I know this from experience.

Reactions: Skyguyb27
Did all you guys miss what OP was saying? He's claiming it'll save Reed money if he returns to Kentucky to find a "quality" "potential mate" because if he goes to the NBA he'll end up with an influencer girl he'll owe child support to. It's an absurd argument, but they're not trying to argue it makes more sense to come back for any sort of NIL or draft stock improvement reasons.

Reactions: Skyguyb27
I’m not holding my breath, I’ve seen the end to this story before.
A lot more things going on in this decision than any other decision made by a kid leaving early at this University in History. I would start listing them but don't fill like typing that much. He's staying for year 2. Bet that!

Go Cats!

I like most of your takes, but you’re not living in reality here.

He’s likely going to be a lottery pick. If not, he’s still top 20. It’s a weak draft class and he will not replicate these kinds of numbers if he returns. The players around him next year at UK would not be as good as the ones this year. He’d still be playing for Cal and thus not competing for titles.
Might come off bench again next year if he came back🙄

He needs to come back next year and lead us to a title with Travis Perry. Having two guards with high IQ and can shoot like they can would be a huge plus for next years team. Plus we would actually have a center with some size and physicality and it would help us inside also on the offensive end. Come on back Reed and lead us to number 9.

Reactions: Stonewall12
He's already probably more nationally relevant than any college athlete we've had in a while.
This^^^

You can't argue with this.

That's because you can't reason with folks that believe insanity like this, which is clearly not grounded in common sense or reality.

Last edited:
Well, one hope for his return is he ain't hurtin' for moolah:

"Ah, yes, his business. It’s booming. Sheppard has NIL deals with Donato’s Pizza, Planet Fitness, WinStar Farm, The Dairy Alliance, Forcht Bank and White, Greer & Maggard Orthodontics, plus team-wide agreements, all of which add up to a payday that conservative estimates have put in the mid-to-high six figures. There’s certainly seven-figure potential as his star continues to rise, though Jeff says the family has turned down several more offers to keep the focus where it needs to be."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT