ADVERTISEMENT

The best business decision reed can make.

Wildcats1st

All-American
Sep 16, 2017
Stay at UK at least 3 years. Take your pick of any of the very attractive intelligent women. Look for that potential mate. You bolt to the nba well you’ll end up with an influencer and all the drama that comes. Look at the quality woman his mom is and make that connection. That will save him more money than any nil nba contract endorsement he takes in the end.

I like most of your takes, but you’re not living in reality here.

He’s likely going to be a lottery pick. If not, he’s still top 20. It’s a weak draft class and he will not replicate these kinds of numbers if he returns. The players around him next year at UK would not be as good as the ones this year. He’d still be playing for Cal and thus not competing for titles.

Stay at UK at least 3 years. Take your pick of any of the very attractive intelligent women. Look for that potential mate. You bolt to the nba well you’ll end up with an influencer and all the drama that comes. Look at the quality woman his mom is and make that connection. That will save him more money than any nil nba contract endorsement he takes in the end.
Two years is probably a stretch. Three is not happening. This is a weak WEAK draft. This may be his best shot.

Two years is probably a stretch. Three is not happening. This is a weak WEAK draft. This may be his best shot.
Drafts from here on out will be weak bc the players coming out of hs are less ready than ever for cbb and the nba. I think 3 years is definitely on the table with nil. With no limits reed can make a ton of money. Hell he can sign a big endorsement deal with Nike now to sell his UK merch. He can create a brand before ever going to the league based on his college success. Like I’ve said all along reed Shepard was built for NIL.

Reactions: KFuqua
Drafts from here on out will be weak bc the players coming out of hs are less ready than ever for cbb and the nba. I think 3 years is definitely on the table with nil. With no limits reed can make a ton of money. Hell he can sign a big endorsement deal with Nike now to sell his UK merch. He can create a brand before ever going to the league based on his college success. Like I’ve said all along reed Shepard was built for NIL.
He can't sell his UK Merchandise, that is already licensed. He can sell his name, his image, and his likeness. Kentucky is a small market. He is not in LA or New York. While college basketball does mean more hear, I've read the threads here where the vast majority say there is no chance that they would ever pitch into a pool to pay players NIL money. Joe Craft is not going to pay a player multi-millions of dollars. His ROI is zero. Terry Forcht already is paying Reed, but he is not going to keep escalating. National endorsements aren't coming from college athletes, they are coming from pros. If he is as good as people here think he is, he will get much more in endorsements, in addition to his NBA salary, than he could ever get in NIL money at UK.

National endorsements aren't coming from college athletes, they are coming from pros.
I 100% think Reed is going pro, but the right college athlete can get national deals. Caitlyn Clarke has national TV ads. Caleb Williams had national ads. Put the NIL people on it and you could probably find a national ad that plays off the family dynamic between Reed and his parents all being UK basketball stars.

He's already probably more nationally relevant than any college athlete we've had in a while. Doing it in the tournament in front of the entire country while his parents get airtime from the stands every game will only increase that relevance. It's not out of the question he could get a national deal from someone.

Reactions: westerncat
I 100% think Reed is going pro, but the right college athlete can get national deals. Caitlyn Clarke has national TV ads. Caleb Williams had national ads. Put the NIL people on it and you could probably find a national ad that plays off the family dynamic between Reed and his parents all being UK basketball stars.

He's already probably more nationally relevant than any college athlete we've had in a while. Doing it in the tournament in front of the entire country while his parents get airtime from the stands every game will only increase that relevance. It's not out of the question he could get a national deal from someone.
The leading scorer ever in women's basketball and the Heisman winner playing in LA. I think that proves my point. I don't think we really disagree, but most people outside of Kentucky, Indiana and the triangle in NC give a shit about college basketball until March. So yeah, make a run in March, look like he did against MSU with everyone watching, he could potentially get a deal. I still don't think most sports fans outside of Kentucky or the SEC know who he is.

Reactions: cats#1again
I like most of your takes, but you’re not living in reality here.

He’s likely going to be a lottery pick. If not, he’s still top 20. It’s a weak draft class and he will not replicate these kinds of numbers if he returns. The players around him next year at UK would not be as good as the ones this year. He’d still be playing for Cal and thus not competing for titles.
Wont repeat these numbers? Lol he would probably avg 20 a game next year

Wont repeat these numbers? Lol he would probably avg 20 a game next year
Are points per game the only numbers that matter?

Do you think he’s going to come back and shoot over 50% from deep? Have the same offensive rating? Have a better plus/minus? You do understand that the advanced stats are one of the reasons that he’s being projected in the lottery, right? And that his points per game are the least of their concerns. You get that right? Please tell me, you understand.

Are points per game the only numbers that matter?

Do you think he’s going to come back and shoot over 50% from deep? Have the same offensive rating? Have a better plus/minus? You do understand that the advanced stats are one of the reasons that he’s being projected in the lottery, right? And that his points per game are the least of their concerns. You get that right? Please tell me, you understand.
Is 3 point percentage the only thing that matters? That's literally the only number that would be hard to replicate

Enjoy your youth. DON’T be PJ Washington or Tyler Herro.

the only thing that might play to our advantage is his dad played 1 year in the NBA and then went overseas, hated it and walked away from the game

He was MVP and I'm sure his 4 years at Kentucky , at the height with Pitino and the unexpected joy of Tubby's first year are the best years of his life

(yea, every guy has to say the birth of child, blah, blah, blah)

He could very well be telling Reed what a sewer the NBA is and he'll always have a chance to make his money. I'd also like to think that perhaps selfishly, Jeff and Stacy are living vicariously thru their son. In their eyes, Reed is probably at the pinnacle of their careers and this moment could go on for at least another year.

do I believe that? I give that a 20% chance at best.

Every parent would advise their child to make a decision that has them set for life.

so if he makes the decision, it will have nothing to do with the business side of it.

adam sandler GIF

How I feel some of you would talk to Reed if you ever meet him. 🤣

Last edited:
Enjoy your youth. DON’T be PJ Washington or Tyler Herro.
Lol you don't think Herro is enjoying his youth while being a very successful multi millionaire in South Beach? Those are the things 16 year old boys' dreams are made of.

Reactions: Zissou87
Reactions: postmodernprimate
His dream might be to play for UK, but his ultimate dream is to make it to the NBA and make an actual career out of playing basketball, one that will still pay 5-10x or maybe 50x as much as the NIL money he's getting here.

That said, I do think there's a draft threshold at play here. If he's a top5-10 pick, he's gone. And he SHOULD be gone. But if he slips to late lottery and the possibility of being out of the lottery, I could see him deciding to play another year, where he can showcase his talents from start to finish. He now has all the confidence he needs, and Cal will play him as much as he wants.

He'd still get drafted, almost assuredly, in the top part of the 1st round (the injury thing is starting to become less and less of an issue IMO, as guys are rehabbing better).. and he could become a UK legend, if we get a Final4 this year, and he comes back to make UK a top10 team all year with a shot at another Final4.

I am going to enjoy watching him play as long as he is here. I just have this feeling that he may return for another year.

Reactions: KFuqua
Go be a multi millionaire and then take a trip to Sweden/Norway and find you a Viking bloodline breeder that knows minimal about the NBA and won’t recognize you for your money and career.

I think it will be a tough decision and all the money stats and pros and cons will be laid on the table. In the end, i think he will go but i dont think its as easy decision as some other players who have come through here.

He would be a fool to come back. Hes gonna be a lottery pick or at least a borderline lottery pick.

The number 8 pick is GUARANTEED nearly 10 million over 2 year and an optional 5 mill for year three. That’s 15 million over there years not counting endorsements or shoe deals.

Two years of work and if you are smart you are SET for life.

Reactions: postmodernprimate
The best thing Reed could do in college to improve his market value is go on a tear during the NCAA tourney and win the championship. Otherwise he’s done all he can do for the time being.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT