ADVERTISEMENT

The A&M Debacle

I dont think we know that. If that were the case why play hard last week?
Maybe the last game would have happened no matter what../.but Stoops pulling his act and Mitch bending over and taking it up the rear after the deal went south was more utter stupidity from Mitch

At a minimum…I’d have torn up some future guaranteed years for that fiascos

Maybe the last game would have happened no matter what../.but Stoops pulling his act and Mitch bending over and taking it up the rear after the deal went south was more utter stupidity from Mitch

At a minimum…I’d have torn up some future guaranteed years for that fiascos
I don't know that you can. Apparently, there was some clause in Cal's contract that could have been violated when he started looking at going to Arkansas, but college football coaches are always on the verge of moving elsewhere and nothing ever really happens to punish them, except for one time about 25 years ago when Boston College canned a coach for trying to take the Jets job. In Stoops case, I don't know if he did anything at all to violate the contract, so nothing could be really done in retaliation.

Reactions: K_TIME
I would love to see UK hire John Sumrall, but I know we have had difficulties hiring good coaches in the past because UK is generally where coaches go to die. Bill Curry was the National Coach of the Year the year we hired him and he couldn't do shit here.

Reactions: megablue
I would love to see UK hire John Sumrall, but I know we have had difficulties hiring good coaches in the past because UK is generally where coaches go to die. Bill Curry was the National Coach of the Year the year we hired him and he couldn't do shit here.
X's and O's are much easier with better Jimmys and Joes.

Has poisoned this program.

Why give it all for a coach that was gonna drop you like a hot knife?
Doubt it. If some players felt that way they would transfer. In today's environment, why would you play for a coach you don.t respect? Your not held hostage anymore by the the transfer rules.

Reactions: paulcalhoun
Yeah and he got canned because of it too, thankfully.

Watching Curry's handling of Couch pissed everyone off. We got a fun change after that though. Air Raid!

I went to the UK/UC game that year at Nippert Stadium. I remember UK fans booing loudy (good contingent) at Curry and chanting Couch's name. What a mess....how in the world did he think that was a good idea?

Reactions: HeismaNole
X's and O's are much easier with better Jimmys and Joes.
The reason we always suck. We can have a top 20 recruiting class, and still be 14th in our conference. Jimmys and Joes always beat Xs and Os. I've said for years when people ask me why we lose to Mississipi State, when they have Booger and Pork Chop, and we are trying to block them with Kyle and Kevin, we will always lose.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
Bama fans celebrated when we took Curry. He knew that he was a short timer there. The fans knew they were going nowhere with him.
I went to the UK/UC game that year at Nippert Stadium. I remember UK fans booing loudy (good contingent) at Curry and chanting Couch's name. What a mess....how in the world did he think that was a good idea?
Not a Curry fan, but in his defense, during that era not many true freshman we're giving the keys to the program. Even when Couch went to the NFL, it was rare for a franchise to start a rookie QB. Curry was a lot like Stoops on the offensive side. He was terrified of opening up the offense.

Doubt it. If some players felt that way they would transfer. In today's environment, why would you play for a coach you don.t respect? Your not held hostage anymore by the the transfer rules.

I think they stay for the money.

I agree with the OP the a and m flirtation damaged relations immensely. It's unfortunate UK couldn't cut his pay as a result or tell him to take a hike with no financial repercussions.

I think they stay for the money.

I agree with the OP the a and m flirtation damaged relations immensely. It's unfortunate UK couldn't cut his pay as a result or tell him to take a hike with no financial repercussions.
If they are quality players they can easily get money from other good programs. I just don't buy it. It people trying to find something else to create drama over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT