ADVERTISEMENT

The 5 members who kept Caitlin Clark off of Team USA

That’s not the team’s responsibility.

It may not be, but the abject stupidity of passing up the opportunity is baffling considering the support for women's basketball pre-Clark. You can't tell me having her as the last player on the team affects that responsibility negatively in any way.

When your sport is being propped up the way theirs is, you'd think that even a committee with half a brain could see the opportunity here. But, that whole half brain thing might be the stumbling block.

Reactions: PhDcat2018
The WNBA is a complete shit show. The new interest, solely because of Clark, is just illuminating how awful that league is.

The Olympics have been turned into a shit show, too. It’s been unwatchable for decades.
That 1992 “Dream Team” was a joke by arrangement.

Reactions: BBNinSC
They took Britney Griner, who has openly said she doesn’t care for the USA many times over Clark. Says all I need to know.

Griner has a right to her opinion but that’s like selecting a kid who hates your school to be the school mascot. Just odd.

Not selecting Clark as even a back up is wild. The marketing sells itself. She could be on every fast food cup in America and would excite people to get behind Team USA.
Which is the exact reason she did not get selected. It is team USA, not CC national team. If she was on the roster, it would all be about CC and not team USA. Too much of the publicity would be about non basketball issues.

And for the record, she is NOT one of the best 12 players in the WNBA, not YET. She will win many gold medals in the future, but based on BASKETBALL criteria, she was not selected. Now, if it was a ticket selling or media contest, yes she would / should be selected, but they did not want to have a player steal the spotlight from TEAM recognition.

Reactions: nptb
I don't think that's the argument here. The addition of Clark would have pretty much zero to do with winning games. Team USA could/should win gold if the last player on the team is replaced by Clark or not.

Before her, relatively speaking, no one watched the wnba. The league has been subsidized by the nba since its inception and would've folded many times over if it wasn't for that financial backing. Crap, it probably wouldn't have even gotten off the ground.

Fast forward to 2024 (probably says enough just saying that), and we have arguably the most popular women's basketball player since Cheryl Miller? Lisa Leslie? Maybe ever? in Clark. The opportunity to expand the women's game is like no other that they've had before and they push it to the side because "she's not one of the best 12 players in the league" all the while complaining that no one watches or they don't get paid or this or that. Clark solves all of that, or at least it looks like she could.

The argument they left the #2 scorer off the team is just not a good one, either. NO ONE outside of the 8-10 die-hard wnba fans knows who that even is. EVERYONE knows who Clark is. That's the whole point here. Clark has been in the league a few weeks and she's more popular than every single player in the league.

This is about building support for the league, which, up until Clark landed in their collective lap, had next to none and turning away that opportunity is just foolish.
So just hand everything to Clark no Matter what because she is the most popular player . If they put her on the team and didn’t play her much then that would be the next problem .

Angel Reese is more popular than some of the girls that made it so I guess she also should make it since this is about who is more popular now .

I feel bad for Caitlin Clark because it’s never just a normal discussion with her at this point . I get your point but I can’t believe that there are folks outraged over this on twitter lol.

Reactions: dakid_0812
i cannot emphasize adequately how no one cares about women's basketball unless its some racial thing. I think this controversy is - if not purposeful - very accepted for the dollar bills.
Eh. This "controversy" does not benefit women's basketball. You've got a young woman who has enchanted the nation, is the number one pick in the draft, is killing it this year and looks like she's going to be on every Olympic team henceforth until she retires.

It is literally stupid to not have her on the team if your goal is to build love for the sport amongst young women.

The WNBA's audience is disproportionately old white guys. This gave them the opportunity to command crazy attention IN A GOOD WAY (which is rare for women's basketball) on an international stage. But nope.

• Haha
So just hand everything to Clark no Matter what because she is the most popular player . If they put her on the team and didn’t play her much then that would be the next problem .

Oh, no. Some act like Clark is just some chick playing down at the Y. She's the ALL-TIME scoring leader in women's college basketball history. She can clearly play. So it isn't like they'd be handing over the reins to just anyone. And it wouldn't even have to be more than a just spot on the team. The fact she would be on the team would blow up the marketing/viewership.

If the next problem is "why didn't she get more mintues?" it will be the first time anyone has cared about the playing time of any player on any women's olympic team ever. The word being 'cared'. She brings a level of interest that has never existed for women's basketball.

And i can understand some being a little irritated that this rookie is gonna come in and steal a spot. But, this situation is different. This is a league holding on by the purse strings of the NBA. They NEED this kind of attention. Clearly, the league, up to this point, couldn't buy this kind of attention and they are saying no.

Angel Reese is more popular than some of the girls that made it so I guess she also should make it since this is about who is more popular now .

Angel Reese is known more for what she did after the championship to guess who than anything else. I had no idea who Angel Reece was until her interaction with Clark after the NCAA title game.

I feel bad for Caitlin Clark because it’s never just a normal discussion with her at this point . I get your point but I can’t believe that there are folks outraged over this on twitter lol.

Oh, i'm right there. I don't have the slightest bit of outrage. I won't watch women's basketball with or without CC unless it is UK related and even then, it would be more having the TV on in the background as opposed to actually sitting and watching a game (maybe Coach Brooks can change my attitude about that). So, it isn't like i've got some rooting interest here. I just think it is funny and a giant missed opportunity for women's basketball as a whole. A sport that is BEGGING for people to watch basically turning away possibly millions of potential viewers. And would all be for a common goal as Team USA. No better time to rally fans.

Who made the team that Clark should bump? Bumping someone for marketing is BS. We don’t need a Laetner moment again, unless Clark is needed to carry bags.

Oh, no. Some act like Clark is just some chick playing down at the Y. She's the ALL-TIME scoring leader in women's college basketball history. She can clearly play. So it isn't like they'd be handing over the reins to just anyone. And it wouldn't even have to be more than a just spot on the team. The fact she would be on the team would blow up the marketing/viewership.

If the next problem is "why didn't she get more mintues?" it will be the first time anyone has cared about the playing time of any player on any women's olympic team ever. The word being 'cared'. She brings a level of interest that has never existed for women's basketball.

And i can understand some being a little irritated that this rookie is gonna come in and steal a spot. But, this situation is different. This is a league holding on by the purse strings of the NBA. They NEED this kind of attention. Clearly, the league, up to this point, couldn't buy this kind of attention and they are saying no.

Angel Reese is known more for what she did after the championship to guess who than anything else. I had no idea who Angel Reece was until her interaction with Clark after the NCAA title game.

Oh, i'm right there. I don't have the slightest bit of outrage. I won't watch women's basketball with or without CC unless it is UK related and even then, it would be more having the TV on in the background as opposed to actually sitting and watching a game (maybe Coach Brooks can change my attitude about that). So, it isn't like i've got some rooting interest here. I just think it is funny and a giant missed opportunity for women's basketball as a whole. A sport that is BEGGING for people to watch basically turning away possibly millions of potential viewers. And would all be for a common goal as Team USA. No better time to rally fans.
So if Clark was named to the team would you then watch the Olympics ?

I can guarantee you that just naming her to the team wouldn’t be enough for people that are actually angry about this(not aimed at you) .

Who made the team that Clark should bump? Bumping someone for marketing is BS. We don’t need a Laetner moment again, unless Clark is needed to carry bags.

It's not if that someone is basically single-handedly giving your sport never before reached or even thought of popularity. A sport whose "premier" league isn't self-sufficient.

The NBA is, and was in 92, an established, wildly successful league. The WNBA is nothing of the sort. Women's basketball, to most, is a joke. The ONLY women's basketball i've ever watched outside of UK games is YouTube videos of people making fun of them wanting to be treated like the NBA.

CC is an opportunity to get eyes on the product and if the product is what they supposedly say it is, then hopefully those eyes become fans. Without her, it wasn't gonna happen.

So if Clark was named to the team would you then watch the Olympics ?

I can guarantee you that just naming her to the team wouldn’t be enough for people that are actually angry about this(not aimed at you) .

No. I barely watch the men's team in the olympics.

It might not be enough for a few fringe goofballs, but for the majority of the extra millions that watched her at Iowa in her back-to-back final fours, it absolutely would be. It most certainly would've been enough to make it worthwhile.

It's not if that someone is basically single-handedly giving your sport never before reached or even thought of popularity. A sport whose "premier" league isn't self-sufficient.

The NBA is, and was in 92, an established, wildly successful league. The WNBA is nothing of the sort. Women's basketball, to most, is a joke. The ONLY women's basketball i've ever watched outside of UK games is YouTube videos of people making fun of them wanting to be treated like the NBA.

CC is an opportunity to get eyes on the product and if the product is what they supposedly say it is, then hopefully those eyes become fans. Without her, it wasn't gonna happen.

CC should only make the team if she is one of the current best at her position.

Which is the exact reason she did not get selected. It is team USA, not CC national team. If she was on the roster, it would all be about CC and not team USA. Too much of the publicity would be about non basketball issues.

And for the record, she is NOT one of the best 12 players in the WNBA, not YET. She will win many gold medals in the future, but based on BASKETBALL criteria, she was not selected. Now, if it was a ticket selling or media contest, yes she would / should be selected, but they did not want to have a player steal the spotlight from TEAM recognition.
So Griner is one of the best 12 players? B. S.

So Griner is one of the best 12 players? B. S.
Well Griner is a CENTER, Clark is a GUARD. I guess they could just take 12 guards and make a roster. Probably would have a very tough time rebounding and inside scoring / defense. Look at the guards who made the team and pick one not deserving of a spot ? A veteran will always get the nod over a rookie. Especially a rookie and the circus that comes with them. She will make PLENTY of Olympic rosters in the future, but this year, she is just not quite one of the best 4 guards.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
Who knows, maybe the Capitol would be attacked during a perfect peaceful protest.
We do know there have been individuals sighted and confirm there from several different opposing organizations. I don't believe ANYTHING in the media anymore, only my senses.

Well Griner is a CENTER, Clark is a GUARD. I guess they could just take 12 guards and make a roster. Probably would have a very tough time rebounding and inside scoring / defense. Look at the guards who made the team and pick one not deserving of a spot ? A veteran will always get the nod over a rookie. Especially a rookie and the circus that comes with them. She will make PLENTY of Olympic rosters in the future, but this year, she is just not quite one of the best 4 guards.
So you basically admit she’s too hot controversy wise. Good to know.

If Clark was on the Olympic Team, there would be far more viewers in the demographic that women's basketball should be courting but doesn't: young women.

This isn't hard.
I’ve explained over and over that I get that . I just don’t care about it .

It’s probably best for Clark that she sits out . A) She probably could use a break anyway since she went straight from College to the pros .

B) I can already see the drama and outrage some would have if the coach isn’t starting and playing her much .

Also folks are claiming this to be racist . I’d like to see why they believe this is racist ?

I wonder if France is disappointed? Some have called her potentially the Jordan of the WNBA. Women’s basketball has historically done much better over seas than here, where it has to be carried by the NBA. I bet Paris was hoping the next great thing would be there.

As usual, the women are fine being propped up by the men. If they were actually forced to turn a profit she would be headlining this squad. Never has women's basketball received this much attention in 28 yrs combined. She's the current reason. It's the Olympics not league play. They had a chance to have a worldwide experience to promote the shit out of their league to the future potential customers and a new generation of the next group of girls and they failed.

This is a failure of epic proportions. Period.

Reactions: PhDcat2018
I clicked on the author of the tweet the op posted and saw a twitter account of political garbage.
I clicked on the author of the tweet hmt posted and saw a twitter account of political (and conspiracy) garbage.

This is certainly a discussion I suppose but I'm going on record that no one here actually cares about Clark being snubbed and many of these types of conversations begin because of tweets that want to divide us in some way. The OP's tweet suggests black women in power snubbed Clark because she's white. Any proof of that or are the folks who say other folks are obsessed with race just wanting to bring up race because both sides are just alike? hmt posted a tweet asking where Brittany Griner's tits are. In 2024, with all the neat tech we've got...we're using it to spread a question about Griner's tits...or lack thereof?

Might I suggest a walk around the neighborhood, bbqing with family, playing with your kids, or just enjoying summer instead of pretending any of us care about this or again, where the tits are of some athlete? Just something to think about.

I clicked on the author of the tweet the op posted and saw a twitter account of political garbage.
I clicked on the author of the tweet hmt posted and saw a twitter account of political (and conspiracy) garbage.

This is certainly a discussion I suppose but I'm going on record that no one here actually cares about Clark being snubbed and many of these types of conversations begin because of tweets that want to divide us in some way. The OP's tweet suggests black women in power snubbed Clark because she's white. Any proof of that or are the folks who say other folks are obsessed with race just wanting to bring up race because both sides are just alike? hmt posted a tweet asking where Brittany Griner's tits are. In 2024, with all the neat tech we've got...we're using it to spread a question about Griner's tits...or lack thereof?

Might I suggest a walk around the neighborhood, bbqing with family, playing with your kids, or just enjoying summer instead of pretending any of us care about this or again, where the tits are of some athlete? Just something to think about.

The Hall Monitor is expanding his territory to new halls. He knows you better than you know yourself and only wants what is best for you. That is his only agenda, even though he sounds like a broken record and full of crap and rarely has input about the actual subject of the thread. His subject is those he politically opposes. All hail the Hall Monitor! Generalize and dismiss, shame and decry!! 😝

Meanwhile, an actual discussion is taking place.

Weren't there white girls that made the team? I don't follow the sport but it seems like this jealousy is rooted in finances and attention way more than race. Jmo.

Ultimately it was stupid to leave her off for any reason because it's the first time in maybe ever women's bb had much interest from the general public.

Weren't there white girls that made the team? I don't follow the sport but it seems like this jealousy is rooted in finances and attention way more than race. Jmo.

Ultimately it was stupid to leave her off for any reason because it's the first time in maybe ever women's bb had much interest from the general public.

I get the marketing perspective, but I don’t agree it should drive decisions. I think you pick the best players and Clark should not bump a player as good or better who has vast more experience. But then, I’ll admit that if you named those picked, I would say, “who?”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT