ADVERTISEMENT

The 5 members who kept Caitlin Clark off of Team USA

Why isn't there the same faux outrage over the number 2 scorer in the league getting snubbed?

Clark isn't one of the best 12 usa players in wnba. I know that triggers some but it's true.

I agree strictly based on ratings and marketing she should be on the team.
In a lot of Olympic years, if there is a player in NCAA that did above and beyond the norm, they might get the 12th pick. I think that is where the outrage it at right now.

Clarke like or hate her, scored more points in NCAA division one than any other man/woman. Pete did it in 3 years without the 3 point shot so not 100% that she is the best scorer ever but she could have been selected.

Not saying she should be on most Olympic teams the 11th and 12 person plays little minutes (typical clean up).

She's not in the top 50 of best women's players of all time. Her game has major flaws, There are 20 women who played for UConn better than her
Just on scoring prowess alone she is a top 20 all time player in NCAA. Or scoring means nothing and do not keep score. Not a Clarke fan but have to call out this. Every player has flaws there is not 1 including Jordan, LeBron or Staley that did not have flaws.

Just on scoring prowess alone she is a top 20 all time player in NCAA. Or scoring means nothing and do not keep score. Not a Clarke fan but have to call out this. Every player has flaws there is not 1 including Jordan, LeBron or Staley that did not have flaws.
If we are talking NCAA than I would put her in the top 10 women's college basketball players of all time. I thought we were talking just all time period.

• Wow
Reactions: ruppsrunt66
In a lot of Olympic years, if there is a player in NCAA that did above and beyond the norm, they might get the 12th pick. I think that is where the outrage it at right now.

Clarke like or hate her, scored more points in NCAA division one than any other man/woman. Pete did it in 3 years without the 3 point shot so not 100% that she is the best scorer ever but she could have been selected.

Not saying she should be on most Olympic teams the 11th and 12 person plays little minutes (typical clean up).
She played in a system that allowed her to just jack up shots whenever she wanted. People think Steph curry is something new. I had the priviledge of watching Nick Van Exel in college and the NBA. If he had the green light to pull up at half court, Steph Curry wouldn't have become as big a deal as he has.

• Love
Reactions: mattrudd
If we are talking NCAA than I would put her in the top 10 women's college basketball players of all time. I thought we were talking just all time period.
Hard to do that. when comparing right now you have to compare in likeness. I really do not think she will be one of the greatest WNBA players. Could be wrong but only time will tell there.

Reactions: mattrudd and LmdCat
She played in a system that allowed her to just jack up shots whenever she wanted. People think Steph curry is something new. I had the priviledge of watching Nick Van Exel in college and the NBA. If he had the green light to pull up at half court, Steph Curry wouldn't have become as big a deal as he has.
You could say the same for Rex. Cannot discount a players numbers because of the system. Heck Pete scored all his points because his dad allowed it. He could get 50 on Kentucky and still not even be in the game.

Reactions: LmdCat
Was Anthony Davis one of the best 12 players in the NBA in 2012?
If I’m remembering correctly, David was a last minute addition because all the other centers were hurt. And the goal was to get him some early experience so he could be a mainstay on the team in later years, and it backfired because he never played in another Olympics. So I dont know if that’s the best comparison.

You have absolutely ZERO clue what you're talking about. Her passing ability is at a level not seen in the WNBA and she rebounds well.. Take the "L" and limp off.

Last edited:

You have absolutely ZERO clue what you're talking about. Her passing ability is at a level not seen in the WNBA and she rebourds well.. Take the "L" and limp off.
There’s a lot being done in the wnba that hasn’t been done before because the skill level and performance has been historically horrible to begin with.

You could say the same for Rex. Cannot discount a players numbers because of the system. Heck Pete scored all his points because his dad allowed it. He could get 50 on Kentucky and still not even be in the game.
this is a good point to point view. I like discussing things with someone bringing up valid points. Heck I am wrong as much as I am right. You could very well have hit the nail on the head. I just tend to lean into the being on a level playing field as far as age (time the current player has played).

But if the committee had allowed Clarke to be on the team there would have been many that would have hated it as well. Just like we hated Lattener (SP) on the dream team.

Marketing of Larry/Magic and Jordan followed by Stern globalizing the game made the NBA what it is now.

The WNBA has never been successful and seems to only halfway want to market Clark, so it will fold eventually.

I do think the USA team is a nonissue here.

Reactions: hmt5000
Marketing of Larry/Magic and Jordan followed by Stern globalizing the game made the NBA what it is now.

The WNBA has never been successful and seems to only halfway want to market Clark, so it will fold eventually.

I do think the USA team is a nonissue here.
Silver and the NBA, who has been saving their weak crap for years won’t allow it to fail. They would’ve folded within 5 years of starting were it not for being financially saved.

If I’m remembering correctly, David was a last minute addition because all the other centers were hurt. And the goal was to get him some early experience so he could be a mainstay on the team in later years, and it backfired because he never played in another Olympics. So I dont know if that’s the best comparison.
He’s playing this year. And he was a backup by for Blake Griffin. Still, the guy I responded to said Clark wasn’t one of the best 12 WNBA players. Neither was AD. They could have found another active NBA center to play backup minutes. They chose AD.

Reactions: ruppsrunt66
He’s playing this year. And he was a backup by for Blake Griffin. Still, the guy I responded to said Clark wasn’t one of the best 12 WNBA players. Neither was AD. They could have found another active NBA center to play backup minutes. They chose AD.

Nba and wnba are 2 separate leagues so I can't speak to the decision making by people n 2012 for nba vs in 2024 for wnba.

My position is you should take the best 12 available players. Idk if they had a proper try out like the NBA tends to do either due to timing of the regular seasons.

I also get that they are gonna win every game easily anyways so putting the most popular and polarizing player on the team to get more eyes on the games and better tv ratings would be understandable. No one will watch now.

When more players become as good as Caitlin the wnba will have a life of its own with a good following

Why isn't there the same faux outrage over the number 2 scorer in the league getting snubbed?

Clark isn't one of the best 12 usa players in wnba. I know that triggers some but it's true.

I agree strictly based on ratings and marketing she should be on the team.
What planet have you been living on
Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

You have absolutely ZERO clue what you're talking about. Her passing ability is at a level not seen in the WNBA and she rebounds well.. Take the "L" and limp off.
Do you watch basketball? She along with everyone on the floor she plays with get rebounds because both teams are missing mass shots. Impressive.
Are you going to tell me she's the only player on the team as well? Let me stop you before you do. She has the reigning rookie of the year on the roster with her along with Kelsey Mitchell who was a top 5 pick as well.

Do you watch basketball? She along with everyone on the floor she plays with get rebounds because both teams are missing mass shots. Impressive.
Are you going to tell me she's the only player on the team as well? Let me stop you before you do. She has the reigning rookie of the year on the roster with her along with Kelsey Mitchell who was a top 5 pick as well.
You apparently don't watch basketball if you haven't seen her passing.

Alot of guards in teh WNBA don't rebound. She's willing to. Go ahread, have your bitter beer party. I won't watch it. What a terrible poster.

The gap in level of play between women’s D1 and the WNBA is nowhere near what it is between Men’s D1 and the NBA.

I actually lean towards Clark being one of the 12 best women’s players in the US already. It’s really not that far fetched if you’ve watched the WNBA. and i don’t watch a ton of women’s games but i’ve watched enough.

Ehh this one really isn't a huge deal. Clark is not yet one of the top12 women's basketball players. Could she have made a case because of her popularity? Sure. But she's got a lot of time to make Olympic appearances.

• Love
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT