ADVERTISEMENT

The 5 angriest fanbases in football

Cats78

All-SEC
Dec 28, 2005
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...e-five-angriest-fan-bases-in-college-football

Well, guess it isn't just us who notices the classy behavior from our good friends at Louisville...

5. Mississippi State

MISSST.png
It never fails. Anytime I say anything about Ole Miss, even if it's only the faintest compliment, Mississippi State fans will yell at me for it. They'll tell me how Ole Miss cheats and that the NCAA is going to sanction it back to the stone age one of these days -- all the typical things rivals say about one another.

But while an Auburn fan will pop in with a joke about Alabama when I say something nice about the Tide, Mississippi State fans actually seem to take compliments of Ole Miss as insults to Mississippi State. There's a chip on their shoulders that they wear with easily wounded pride.

And I get it. Last summer, in a different Friday Five, I included Mississippi State as one of the five most disrespected programs in the country. The Bulldogs are typically an afterthought in the SEC West and sometimes within their own state.

I mean, at a time when Dan Mullen has introduced a consistent level of success, something they just aren't used to in Starkville, Ole Miss is having even more success, going to a Peach Bowl and Sugar Bowl the last two seasons.

So, I get it, Mississippi State fans, but maybe lighten up a little bit?

4. Penn State

PSU.png
Through all of the tumult suffered by Penn State fans over the last five years, most of it off the field and involving the face of the program for nearly its entire history, it's no surprise they banded together and were ready to take on the world and anybody outside Happy Valley who wasn't one of them.

And take on the world they have, numerous times. Many of those times the anger was directed at me, but I was far from alone in feeling the wrath.

Things have calmed down a bit over the last year or so, as the anger is related to things actually connected to football once again, but there was a time there when Penn State fans just came out swinging at every perceived slight.

3. Louisville

LVILLE.png
I don't know what I ever did to Louisville fans, but boy, do they get mad at me a lot. I find this strange because, while Teddy Bridgewater was there with Charlie Strong, I was quite fond of Louisville football and often complimentary. Even then, Louisville fans jumped into my mentions calling me names I'm not allowed to print here over some of the most harmless jokes. And then Bridgewater left for the NFL, Strong took off to Texas, and Bobby Petrino was brought back.

Things took a turn for the worse there because I wasn't exactly shy when it came to making Petrino jokes upon hearing the news. So I totally get why Louisville fans get angry with me these days, it's just they still get angrier about some of the most innocuous things than most others.

I've learned new insults from Louisville fans -- words I'd never heard before or ever thought of putting together in such interesting combinations.

2. Miami

MIAMI.png
While you may not realize it when you're watching a Miami home game, there are actually a lot of Canes football fans sill out there, especially on the internet. Many of those fans are going to be angry with me just for that very first sentence, even though they know damn well that they don't show up to their own team's games.

Maybe that will change now that Mark Richt has been hired, but what won't change is Miami fans being angry. I don't know a fan base that was a more accurate reflection of its football teams than Miami fans, it's just things have changed quite a bit. When Miami was winning national titles and putting together teams that were basically just NFL minor league rosters, it was swagger.

Now, after a slew of seven- and eight-win seasons and mediocre finishes in the ACC Coastal, that swagger has turned to straight up anger and bitterness. Much of which is taken out on any media member who dares to talk about the current state of Miami football rather than relive the glory days.

1. Texas A&M

TXAM.png
They may not take it this way, but I mean this as a compliment: Texas A&M fans are just a comically strange, wonderfully weird group of people. They get angry over some of the silliest things, can tell you everything you ever wanted to know (and more that you didn't) about trademark law (the byproduct of supporting a school that sues everybody), and they can do it in a way which makes you wonder if they're truly mad at you.

Don't get me wrong, they very much are mad, but the one thing that stands out to me about most of the Mad Aggies I deal with is the lack of name-calling. They don't cuss you out much, but they seem like the type to passive-aggressively insult you to your face with a giant smile on their face as another Mad Aggie slowly creeps up on you from behind with a hunting knife.

Oh, and they hate Texas. Every school in Texas hates the Longhorns, as does every Big 12 school, but Texas A&M hates Texas a lot more than you do. So, like Mississippi State fans when it comes to Ole Miss, if you say something nice about the Longhorns in the presence of an Aggie, you're going to hear about it.

Then without fail, at some point in the conversation, they will tell you that the Longhorns are obsessed with the Aggies, while A&M doesn't give a damn about Texas. The fact they've spent the last 20 minutes talking crap about Texas while telling you they don't care about Texas will not register, even if you bring it up. They'll just say you brought it up, not them; they don't care about Texas after all.

LOL. First couple responses from Louisville fans. Mention "angry' and you all ironically show up. Look at you clowns right away getting all defensive. Relax.

"I have no idea who this guy is nor do i care"
"non story"
"non writer"

I never said it was some big story, but someone who covers CBS sports isn't exactly some douche bag fan who writes garbage for something like Card Chronicle or something else meaningless.

Dude, you're on a list for a reason. Your fanbase, whether you'll ever admit it or not acts like turds and sometimes people notice. Jeez, UK basketball fans are on negative lists all the time and stuff. Not a big deal. I just like bringing some reality about from time to time but hey, you guys sure are a classy bunch so who cares, right?

[roll]

You guys are the best.

Louisville fans have a lot to be angry about. Their own administration is destroying the integrity and reputation of their school. If I learned that my school was hiring prostitutes for recruits visiting our campus, and the President's 1st move before any evidence was gathered was to back the AD, I would also be angry.

Have to admit that I never heard of this guy. But his article implies that his primary outlet is sending out tweets. So the article seems to be nothing more than an attempt to grab some attention (for which he obviously succeeded) so that he can get some more Twitter followers and commenters.
FWIW, it also seems that the "angriest" fan bases coincided with the same ones that he primarily tweeted about. Not rocket science to predict that you'll get the biggest reaction from the topics of your tweets. Color me unimpressed with his efforts or this alleged "news."
Good Lord, can you imagine someone making general statements about UK fans based upon the posts on this Board! It would be devastating.

Reactions: CardinalJim
Have to admit that I never heard of this guy. But his article implies that his primary outlet is sending out tweets. So the article seems to be nothing more than an attempt to grab some attention (for which he obviously succeeded) so that he can get some more Twitter followers and commenters.
FWIW, it also seems that the "angriest" fan bases coincided with the same ones that he primarily tweeted about. Not rocket science to predict that you'll get the biggest reaction from the topics of your tweets. Color me unimpressed with his efforts or this alleged "news."
Good Lord, can you imagine someone making general statements about UK fans based upon the posts on this Board! It would be devastating.
Says the UL troll posing as a UK fan on a UK board.

Reactions: Dallas-Wild
This thread gets funnier .... :clap:

Yes, the more you make vague posts w/o the guts to actually say anything, it does get funnier.

You probably are one of the many psycho UofL fans that tweeted this guy. What are you so angry about? Do you want to talk about it?

This guy with cbssports is clearly dead on here and couldn't be more accurate. Angry, scumbag head coaches usually translates into you-know-what type fans. Louisville fans are angry, wanna be tough guys who will constantly display classlessness and probably threaten you. They were made for the "anonymity" of the internet. They'll even threaten high school recruits! Hell, even their own athletes (Kevin Ware - Anthony Davis) threaten people on social media too!

Yes, the more you make vague posts w/o the guts to actually say anything, it does get funnier.

You probably are one of the many psycho UofL fans that tweeted this guy. What are you so angry about? Do you want to talk about it?

Nice try, but I don't tweet ... and this thread is funny - more evidence of how obsessed big brother is with little brother

Nice try, but I don't tweet ... and this thread is funny - more evidence of how obsessed big brother is with little brother

Says the clown on a UK message board clearly obsessed with what UK fans say. How ironic. More evidence of your hypocrisy and cluelessness. Again, why are you so angry and why are you so obsessed with us that you're on our board worrying about lists including your angry fan base? Let me guess, cause it's funny? Hahahaha. Don't worry, we're laughing at you too, little brother.

Reactions: FusterCluck
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...e-five-angriest-fan-bases-in-college-football

Well, guess it isn't just us who notices the classy behavior from our good friends at Louisville...

5. Mississippi State

MISSST.png
It never fails. Anytime I say anything about Ole Miss, even if it's only the faintest compliment, Mississippi State fans will yell at me for it. They'll tell me how Ole Miss cheats and that the NCAA is going to sanction it back to the stone age one of these days -- all the typical things rivals say about one another.

But while an Auburn fan will pop in with a joke about Alabama when I say something nice about the Tide, Mississippi State fans actually seem to take compliments of Ole Miss as insults to Mississippi State. There's a chip on their shoulders that they wear with easily wounded pride.

And I get it. Last summer, in a different Friday Five, I included Mississippi State as one of the five most disrespected programs in the country. The Bulldogs are typically an afterthought in the SEC West and sometimes within their own state.

I mean, at a time when Dan Mullen has introduced a consistent level of success, something they just aren't used to in Starkville, Ole Miss is having even more success, going to a Peach Bowl and Sugar Bowl the last two seasons.

So, I get it, Mississippi State fans, but maybe lighten up a little bit?

4. Penn State

PSU.png
Through all of the tumult suffered by Penn State fans over the last five years, most of it off the field and involving the face of the program for nearly its entire history, it's no surprise they banded together and were ready to take on the world and anybody outside Happy Valley who wasn't one of them.

And take on the world they have, numerous times. Many of those times the anger was directed at me, but I was far from alone in feeling the wrath.

Things have calmed down a bit over the last year or so, as the anger is related to things actually connected to football once again, but there was a time there when Penn State fans just came out swinging at every perceived slight.

3. Louisville

LVILLE.png
I don't know what I ever did to Louisville fans, but boy, do they get mad at me a lot. I find this strange because, while Teddy Bridgewater was there with Charlie Strong, I was quite fond of Louisville football and often complimentary. Even then, Louisville fans jumped into my mentions calling me names I'm not allowed to print here over some of the most harmless jokes. And then Bridgewater left for the NFL, Strong took off to Texas, and Bobby Petrino was brought back.

Things took a turn for the worse there because I wasn't exactly shy when it came to making Petrino jokes upon hearing the news. So I totally get why Louisville fans get angry with me these days, it's just they still get angrier about some of the most innocuous things than most others.

I've learned new insults from Louisville fans -- words I'd never heard before or ever thought of putting together in such interesting combinations.

2. Miami

MIAMI.png
While you may not realize it when you're watching a Miami home game, there are actually a lot of Canes football fans sill out there, especially on the internet. Many of those fans are going to be angry with me just for that very first sentence, even though they know damn well that they don't show up to their own team's games.

Maybe that will change now that Mark Richt has been hired, but what won't change is Miami fans being angry. I don't know a fan base that was a more accurate reflection of its football teams than Miami fans, it's just things have changed quite a bit. When Miami was winning national titles and putting together teams that were basically just NFL minor league rosters, it was swagger.

Now, after a slew of seven- and eight-win seasons and mediocre finishes in the ACC Coastal, that swagger has turned to straight up anger and bitterness. Much of which is taken out on any media member who dares to talk about the current state of Miami football rather than relive the glory days.

1. Texas A&M

TXAM.png
They may not take it this way, but I mean this as a compliment: Texas A&M fans are just a comically strange, wonderfully weird group of people. They get angry over some of the silliest things, can tell you everything you ever wanted to know (and more that you didn't) about trademark law (the byproduct of supporting a school that sues everybody), and they can do it in a way which makes you wonder if they're truly mad at you.

Don't get me wrong, they very much are mad, but the one thing that stands out to me about most of the Mad Aggies I deal with is the lack of name-calling. They don't cuss you out much, but they seem like the type to passive-aggressively insult you to your face with a giant smile on their face as another Mad Aggie slowly creeps up on you from behind with a hunting knife.

Oh, and they hate Texas. Every school in Texas hates the Longhorns, as does every Big 12 school, but Texas A&M hates Texas a lot more than you do. So, like Mississippi State fans when it comes to Ole Miss, if you say something nice about the Longhorns in the presence of an Aggie, you're going to hear about it.

Then without fail, at some point in the conversation, they will tell you that the Longhorns are obsessed with the Aggies, while A&M doesn't give a damn about Texas. The fact they've spent the last 20 minutes talking crap about Texas while telling you they don't care about Texas will not register, even if you bring it up. They'll just say you brought it up, not them; they don't care about Texas after all.

I believe Louisville take that number 1 spot.

Says the clown on a UK message board clearly obsessed with what UK fans say. How ironic. More evidence of your hypocrisy and cluelessness. Again, why are you so angry and why are you so obsessed with us that you're on our board worrying about lists including your angry fan base? Let me guess, cause it's funny? Hahahaha. Don't worry, we're laughing at you too, little brother.

I wonder how long your response to this post will be ... I type, you rise up ...

Even then, Louisville fans jumped into my mentions calling me names I'm not allowed to print here over some of the most harmless jokes. And then Bridgewater left for the NFL, Strong took off to Texas, and Bobby Petrino was brought back.

Things took a turn for the worse there because I wasn't exactly shy when it came to making Petrino jokes upon hearing the news.

Well, to use a 9 year old's explanation: "He started it!" [roll]

FWIW, I have no idea who this guy is nor do I care. There are so many non stories coming from non writers these days. This is one of them.

Peace

You appear very angry in your post!

Reactions: FusterCluck
Even then, Louisville fans jumped into my mentions calling me names I'm not allowed to print here over some of the most harmless jokes. And then Bridgewater left for the NFL, Strong took off to Texas, and Bobby Petrino was brought back.

Things took a turn for the worse there because I wasn't exactly shy when it came to making Petrino jokes upon hearing the news.

Well, to use a 9 year old's explanation: "He started it!" [roll]

FWIW, I have no idea who this guy is nor do I care. There are so many non stories coming from non writers these days. This is one of them.

Peace
So much of a non-story you couldn't type fast enough to discredit the author and spin his writings to refinish that spit-shine luster on the ole UL helmet? You're pathetic and I wish you'd go back to your hole.

the author's reasoning about aTm fans hating everything associated with the longhorns is pretty comical. I agree, to an end.
I still think the two fan bases that have the most vitriolic and damning exchanges of one another are Alabama and Auburn. Just my opinion.

Seems to me we should be on that list. We've got miserable teams for decades to be angry about. I was at UK the last time we won an SEC title, and that was a long time ago. I admire the many here who consistently support it with their hard earned money, but we (UK football fans) have the right to be angry if anyone does.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT