ADVERTISEMENT

Texas isn’t the only opportunity for cal to jump at.

OP is lost. Calipari will be at UK at least one more season. Honestly, I think he stays another 2 or 3. He'll do everything in his power to go out "on top". No idea what "on top" means for him. But, he is NOT going to be coaching another 5-10 years and he will not be taking a job on the West coast. When he finally does leave I look for him to try his hand at TV as a in studio commentator for ESPN or CBS. He might jump into administration in the NBA but, he has an enormous ego that needs to be fed.
The last thing I see Calipari doing is TV in studio commentator. If he is asked a question he would go off on a 10 minute ramble of words that few could interpret. But ESPN and CBS just may try it.

Cal is a broken record spewing BS.

The last thing I see Calipari doing is TV in studio commentator. If he is asked a question he would go off on a 10 minute ramble of words that few could interpret. But ESPN and CBS just may try it.

Watch it Sir, Cal likes his TV Studio...

• Haha
Reactions: kywildcat41086
Respect your opinion but I think Cal stay for 1 more season .
If he wants to go, it makes sense to go now. He has a lot of leverage with that recruiting class in hand. If he flops with that class or doesn’t have as much momentum in 24, it will be harder for him to get a big contract at a big job.

Reactions: Wildcats1st
Because you want him to be? I don’t see it. Is it possible they can’t work out an exit strategy? Perhaps but it’s in the cards for him to look at other openings. He’s 2 years past his expiration date and this game of year to year isn’t going to continue to be played. I don’t think anyone other than a handful of nostalgic cal fans care about next years class either
There you go making more stuff up. Never said I wanted him anywhere just said where he would be.

OP is lost. Calipari will be at UK at least one more season. Honestly, I think he stays another 2 or 3. He'll do everything in his power to go out "on top". No idea what "on top" means for him. But, he is NOT going to be coaching another 5-10 years and he will not be taking a job on the West coast. When he finally does leave I look for him to try his hand at TV as a in studio commentator for ESPN or CBS. He might jump into administration in the NBA but, he has an enormous ego that needs to be fed.
Cal is not cut out For TV. He can't finish a sentence he starts on the same topic and under 2mins.

Then say a eulogy because UK is dead

Then say a eulogy because UK is dead
We know he's already stayed too long. But, that's mostly due to ego and a contract that he's be crazy to walk away from. If next season's team under-achieves I could see him staying "one more year" to try and regain some of his lost glory. That's the way egomaniacs think.

Cal is not cut out For TV. He can't finish a sentence he starts on the same topic and under 2mins.
I agree, his stream of conciousness rambling wouldn't translate well to TV. But, he loves the limelight and has a massive ego to feed. Plus, you know one of the networks will throw a bunch of money at him to give it a try.

I believe cal is gone after this season. It will be with a half or less buyout. He won’t be fired rather walk on his own, take a couple years salary with him and take his class to another school. When you watch cal it seems the job is taking its toll and once the season ends it’s gonna be hell in Lexington for cal and his family. People say he won’t leave but I believe he will and he will go somewhere where he can coach another 5-10 years without massive pressure. It’s a growing consensus nationwide that it’s over between cal and Kentucky i also think the university is hoping cal walks.

I think some programs would move their coach out to bring cal in. Here are a few that cal wouldn’t have to worry about trips to Lexington.

First the pac12. There are 4-5 jobs I could see cal in. Washington leaps out to me as a program needing to land a big name coach. Others may be Arizona st (if cal wants an early retirement) and Oregon st. (Which isn’t big enough for cal).

Next is the big10 the conference which took tubby off our hands. The one that seems the most logical fit for cal maybe out of any job is OSU. They desire to be great and would pay cal. Holtman I think is toast so that job will be open. No games in Lexington. His class would have no problem following him there. Wisconsin may be another but they like to have shooters and I doubt the class would go there. But one other seems like another good fit for cal his ego and his class. Michigan. Simple. Cancel the home and home and cal doesn’t have to play in Lexington. It’s a big stage and his class would go.

SEC I don’t see it happening other than Texas maybe

Big 12? Don’t see cal in the big 12. I mean texas but texas will be sec.

ACC. Boeheim retires I could see them make a push for cal. They want to win right away and the recruiting class would entice them. It’s a big enough program for cal.

Other schools. Is Cincinnati too close? Probably don’t have the money for cal. Georgetown? Like Syracuse they want to win now.

That’s alot of schools with potential openings. Cals time was up two years ago. At UK. The contract kept him here two additional years. There’s always talk of who we would bring in but little of where cal could land. There are probably many more cal could go and make 5-6 million. With a negotiated buy out he leaves ziltch on the table and it’s a no brainer. The guy hates our fanbase or at least is extremely irritated by it so why stay when any number of schools would take him?
He isn’t leaving until Wagner class plays here

Calipari would be an idiot to leave after this season. There’s nothing in it for him

No elite shooters, no consistent play, young excuses,

I see a minimum of 11 losses and more of the same problems. More of the same “remember 2014” nonsense while we lose ever more records on “the list”.
If reeves comes back that changes the entire discussion for nexts years team

How could Cal “take the class with him?” They signed LOI’s. UK would have to release them. Would they, or should they?

Reactions: bigbluedon
I believe cal is gone after this season. It will be with a half or less buyout. He won’t be fired rather walk on his own, take a couple years salary with him and take his class to another school. When you watch cal it seems the job is taking its toll and once the season ends it’s gonna be hell in Lexington for cal and his family. People say he won’t leave but I believe he will and he will go somewhere where he can coach another 5-10 years without massive pressure. It’s a growing consensus nationwide that it’s over between cal and Kentucky i also think the university is hoping cal walks.

I think some programs would move their coach out to bring cal in. Here are a few that cal wouldn’t have to worry about trips to Lexington.

First the pac12. There are 4-5 jobs I could see cal in. Washington leaps out to me as a program needing to land a big name coach. Others may be Arizona st (if cal wants an early retirement) and Oregon st. (Which isn’t big enough for cal).

Next is the big10 the conference which took tubby off our hands. The one that seems the most logical fit for cal maybe out of any job is OSU. They desire to be great and would pay cal. Holtman I think is toast so that job will be open. No games in Lexington. His class would have no problem following him there. Wisconsin may be another but they like to have shooters and I doubt the class would go there. But one other seems like another good fit for cal his ego and his class. Michigan. Simple. Cancel the home and home and cal doesn’t have to play in Lexington. It’s a big stage and his class would go.

ACC. Boeheim retires I could see them make a push for cal. They want to win right away and the recruiting class would entice them. It’s a big enough program for cal.

Other schools. Is Cincinnati too close? Probably don’t have the money for cal. Georgetown? Like Syracuse they want to win now.

That’s alot of schools with potential openings. Cals time was up two years ago. At UK. The contract kept him here two additional years. There’s always talk of who we would bring in but little of where cal could land. There are probably many more cal could go and make 5-6 million. With a negotiated buy out he leaves ziltch on the table and it’s a no brainer. The guy hates our fanbase or at least is extremely irritated by it so why stay when any number of schools would take him?
Right!! 2 bad seasons in 14 years is just too much to handle. And one of the bad seasons was because of injury to the best player.

Any school with an opening would want Cal. And some would create an opening to get him.

I agree the "players first" thing has worn out it's welcome here. But his resume is beyond reproach. More wins in the NCAA than any other coach over the 14 seasons. More wins over higher seeds than any other coach over that same span. Number 10 on all time wins. In the HoF. 6 FF's and 1 title. Only 6 losses in the SEC tournament.
24 wins in the SEC tourney.

Yep, lets far that guy!!

Like I’ve said before. He could be basketballs version of Lee Corso. Just be a clown and put on the mascots head . He’s qualified for that .

This sounds like wishful thinking. Lot of unfounded presumptions there and I doubt any of them will bear out. If Cal walks to coach at another school, he would not get any buyout. He only gets a buyout if Kentucky dismisses him.

I cannot see Cal going to any of the schools you discussed. I could see him going to Notre Dame, because that might work out as a better match if the Irish would be willing to him. But I can see him staying around too, because he is under contract and he has an ego.

What makes you think Cal can "take his class"? Cal cannot tell the players where to play. They are individuals. They have decided to play for Kentucky. Maybe Wagner would go with him because of the family connection, but each player would have to decide for himself whether Kentucky's next coach would be satisfactory. Some like Sheppard would stay. Some might decide to leave but not to follow Cal. Anyone who has watched what is happening this year would think twice about following Cal anywhere.

Cals too juiced and a too young to call it quits. Jay wright is a one off but these guys have trouble without competition. I speak from experience. I think cal is coaching another 7 years but it won’t be at UK. Sorry to those who laugh at my post you unabashed cal lovers. Hopefully you follow him to his new team
Amen! Let him take KyBass, Chattanooga wildcat or whatever his ignorant ass name is on to a different job and relocate with him. I'm sure they could use some fresh air, a new fishing hole and might make friends or run into someone who takes em seriously.

Cal could get those jerks some new gear in different colors and let em put the UK clothes away if they even have any, and let Bass change his name to TexasFishStickFan or what if the California U job was to come open and he went back out to Cali to stayed this time even tho it's not UCLA, it's Cal U so it's better anyways and with a cool name.

So Cal could coach at Cal U and he could reward his real fans by taking em all out to the deep end every weekend. Take Bass deep sea fishing and present em with shirts that say Cal U on them. I bet that'd be one happy boat of fishermen 😂. They could drank soda, catch sharks and have just shit loads of fun opening boxes of brand new Cal gear.... sweaters, Hoodies, shorts, shirts, you name it that say Cal U on them even if it's not really about the U so they could strip the U off and just call it Cal and now tell me that don't give y'all goose pimples?

Another post about a dream or wish. when are people going to realize Cal aint leaving till after next year. hes gonna coach this new class coming in. then he will retire. so just get over it. love it or hate it. posting bs like this aint gonna change anything
What the hell will cal do if he retires after next season? He has 10 good years left and I don’t see this guy doing anything other than coaching.

Ps
When I say good years I mean health wise not as a coach.

Calipari would be an idiot to leave after this season. There’s nothing in it for him
You’re telling me if he got half the buy out and could go directly into a job making 6 mil a year there’s nothing in it for him? No more pressure. No more craziness. I mean watch this off-season if we don’t make the tournament. You remember macys comments and the reaction? That will be a rain drop.

All there is by staying is his salary, which paying that amount would offset and the misery to come. He’s already seen a guy carry a sign into rupp for cal to leave. It’s about to crash on him worse than tubby. The real statement you should make is there is nothing in it to stay. Just a negative impact on his health.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
You’re telling me if he got half the buy out and could go directly into a job making 6 mil a year there’s nothing in it for him? No more pressure. No more craziness. I mean watch this off-season if we don’t make the tournament. You remember macys comments and the reaction? That will be a rain drop.

All there is by staying is his salary, which paying that amount would offset and the misery to come. He’s already seen a guy carry a sign into rupp for cal to leave. It’s about to crash on him worse than tubby. The real statement you should make is there is nothing in it to stay. Just a negative impact on his health.
Yes

You know this for sure? Guaranteed?
Nothing is ever guaranteed. That’s why even though I knew Sharpe was gone I waited until it happened to be outraged. But anybody with even a below average IQ knows Cal isn’t leaving after this season.

The odds he leaves are like .001 percent. Very few in the history of money have walked away from 40 million.
Too many of you have no idea how a buyout works. Listen to me clearly. It’s not walking away from 40 million if you receive half your buyout and a 5-6 million dollar salary. There is a complete offset there. Cal isn’t going to wait to be fired outright from UK for the money. His legacy would be greatly tarnished. And if he took a job UK would have cause to withhold part of the buyout anyway bc of the offset. So unless cal is going to retire which he’s not. He signed a contract to coach 6 more years so retiring is barely on his radar. If he’s not retiring then take the negotiated buyout now and go out now while you can market yourself with this class. This is a bigger no brainer than benching wheeler. Go to Syracuse cal. Or osu. You’ll probably do ok there. Get to some elite eights they will love you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT