ADVERTISEMENT

Tell me again why a G5 team will get auto bid to playoffs?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
The best 3 this year: Tulane lost by 3 TDs to a middling P5 team, SMU lost to .500 BC team by 10 and Liberty getting annihilated by Oregon. If the three best can't beat two average P5 teams or even be competitive with a good P5 team, why do they get a slot in the playoffs?

You're telling me SMU should be in this year over Ole Miss or Penn State or others? About once a decade the G5 team will put up a good fight, imo. Sort of like 15- and 16-seeds in March Madness. And basketball, where one player means >>> than in football, is a whole lot more prone to this type of upset.

Reactions: deep3 and The-Hack
Why are the top 4 byes conference champs? Dumb as well.

It should be the top 12 teams regardless of conference and no guarantees. If you win the mud major big 12 and finish 14th, too bad.

100% agree on your point as well. It's basiy giving the 5 seed an exhibition bye each post season. Rest starters in 2nd half type deal.

Why are the top 4 byes conference champs? Dumb as well.

It should be the top 12 teams regardless of conference and no guarantees. If you win the mud major big 12 and finish 14th, too bad.

100% agree on your point as well. It's basiy giving the 5 seed an exhibition bye each post season. Rest starters in 2nd half type deal.
The P5 conferences wanted the rule about the top 4 seeds being conference champions. This year would have played out perfectly. I’m also curious how much of a game Liberty would have given FSU.

Now that we only have 4 major conferences, I like that those conference title games are all to gain a bye, but also get the argument that if a team like Okie St would have won the Big 12 title game, they wouldn’t deserve a top 4 seed.

As for G5 getting a team in, it’s just about conferences working together. I foresee the power schools going to their own playoffs down the line

The P5 conferences wanted the rule about the top 4 seeds being conference champions. This year would have played out perfectly. I’m also curious how much of a game Liberty would have given FSU.

Now that we only have 4 major conferences, I like that those conference title games are all to gain a bye, but also get the argument that if a team like Okie St would have won the Big 12 title game, they wouldn’t deserve a top 4 seed.

As for G5 getting a team in, it’s just about conferences working together. I foresee the power schools going to their own playoffs down the line

The bye won't save the overrated acc or big 12 champ but feel bad for the sec and big 10 2nd place teams that probably deserve them more.

The playoff this year is all current and future sec and big 10 teams.

See....

NCAA BB Tournament...
Again, one player in Bball can be the difference. Not in football. Also, how many 16 seeds ever get past the first two games? Wasn't it a decade or more before the first 16 seed ever won a game? 15 seeds are somewhat more successful, but very, very rare for one to get past the first weekend.

But, Dayton team with Steph Curry is gonna give teams trouble. A G5 team with a great QB is still gonna get manhandled at the LOS, will give up tons of yards and points, etc.

Just kind of ridiculous to give a team a slot when they would never earn it if they played in a P5 conference.

The whole system I think is going to get blown up and redone.

We can't have a blow outs on New Year's Eve and Day bowls.

FSU, Liberty, Iowa should've all played...but in a preseason G5 exhibition tournament down in Puerto Rico next fall. Noles could've gotten their well "deserved" 1 seed and played the winner of the other game...throw Penn St and Ohio State in their too.

Bowl sponsors and media carrying those games have to be pissed.

I have a sneaking suspicion that one playoff game will be lopsided...There's at least one team that doesn't look like the others, kind of like FSU, and another team possibly.

If we get a boat race or two in the playoffs...get ready folks' shit will change.

Sanky will be able to name his price in all the new bidding wars and tv negotiations, because as of right now, it's looking like the real play off should've basically been SEC...

The only reason I can think of is that they wouldn't have gotten the votes if not because it's absurd that they're automatically in after playing garbage all season.

Reactions: gamecockcat
The only reason I can think of is that they wouldn't have gotten the votes if not because it's absurd that they're automatically in after playing garbage all season.

Crazy to give the peasants so much power if that's true.

I can hear ESPN drumming up the drama of should so and so have gotten the 5 seed over so and so. Gonna be a prized spot playing a cupcake most seasons.

For whatever reason people don’t want to acknowledge the significant gap between the SEC and other leagues. It really is varsity and JV. And this year is the most down the SEC has been in 10-15 years and still the case.

I doubt a number 12 see from one of the 2 big conferences is going to fair much better than a 12 seed from a group conference. If this was a 12 team playoff, sec would have gotten 4 in, Big 3, pac probably 2, Big12, ACC and group 1 each.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
Pretty much agree with OP, but Tulane did beat USC last year in Cotton Bowl (Maybe USC had a lot of opt outs, don't know), and so it is not always true that the G5 teams get steam rolled (although they almost always lose)

Oregon (#8) 45 - Liberty (#23) 6
Va Tech (6-6 regular season) 41 - Tulane (10-2) 20
Boston College (6-6) 23 - SMU (11-2) 14

G5, maybe once a decade, will be competitive. With transfer portal and NIL, I don't see how the top 11 in CFB would be getting closer to G5. I think the Oregon v. Liberty game will be a lot more like what we see in #5 vs. #12. You have to remember, none of the top 11 should have any/many opt outs as winning moves you closer to the NC. The likelihood that a Tulane would face a toothless #5 seed due to opt outs is just about zero.

Reactions: satcheluk
I can’t figure out the rules for the new playoff system. The rules state that six of the slots are reserved for the six highest ranked conference champions I can’t find if that means that more than one can come from one conference or not. Neither can I find what conferences are included. In one article I read that took this years rankings and the listed the match ups they indicated that Liberty was included in the six and displace Oklahoma as the twelve seed. i guess the highest ranked P5 team will always be included, most years as the 12 seed. I think regional rivalry and hatred/ jealousy of the SEC will limit its number of teams. Look how they punished Georgia for a single late season loss. With the addition of more tough teams it will be increasingly unlikely to have two more teams with two losses or fewer. This is particularly true if we adopt a nine game conference schedule. The other conferences may get weaker making it much easier to limits losses— look at UofL this year And how high they ranked

Reactions: The-Hack
I doubt a number 12 see from one of the 2 big conferences is going to fair much better than a 12 seed from a group conference. If this was a 12 team playoff, sec would have gotten 4 in, Big 3, pac probably 2, Big12, ACC and group 1 each.

You don’t think ole miss would have a shot against FSU? A better shot than smu?

Stop it. We both know you do.

Or wait. FSU would be a champ

So Missouri or ole miss couldn’t beat OSU? think it just happened like three days ago b

I can’t figure out the rules for the new playoff system. The rules state that six of the slots are reserved for the six highest ranked conference champions I can’t find if that means that more than one can come from one conference or not. Neither can I find what conferences are included. In one article I read that took this years rankings and the listed the match ups they indicated that Liberty was included in the six and displace Oklahoma as the twelve seed. i guess the highest ranked P5 team will always be included, most years as the 12 seed. I think regional rivalry and hatred/ jealousy of the SEC will limit its number of teams. Look how they punished Georgia for a single late season loss. With the addition of more tough teams it will be increasingly unlikely to have two more teams with two losses or fewer. This is particularly true if we adopt a nine game conference schedule. The other conferences may get weaker making it much easier to limits losses— look at UofL this year And how high they ranked

I think they will have to update it to 4 power 4 champs and highest group of 5 champ. 4 power 4 champs get the byes (100% disagree with this logic myself).

Here are some basic rules:

1. The Power 4 champions (no longer 5 with the PAC) and the highest ranked G5 champion get 5 of the slots, even if they are ranked outside the top 12 in the final rankings.
2. The other 7 slots are at-large kids determined by the CFP committee
3. The 4 highest ranked conference champions (will almost always be the SEC, ACC, Big 12 and Big 10) will all receive a first round bye
4. The first round games will be played at the home site of the lower ranked team (5 hosts 12, 6 hosts 11, 7 hosts 10, 8 hosts 9) and not have a bowl game name
5. The remaining quarterfinals and semifinals will maintain the NY6 bowl names (Rose, Cotton, Peach, Fiesta, Orange and Sugar) sites

• Love
Reactions: The-Hack
You don’t think ole miss would have a shot against FSU? A better shot than smu?

Stop it. We both know you do.

I don't think OM would have been a 12 seed, not sure what you are trying to say. I think they would have been a top 8 seed.

Here are some basic rules:

1. The Power 4 champions (no longer 5 with the PAC) and the highest ranked G5 champion get 5 of the slots, even if they are ranked outside the top 12 in the final rankings.
2. The other 7 slots are at-large kids determined by the CFP committee
3. The 4 highest ranked conference champions (will almost always be the SEC, ACC, Big 12 and Big 10) will all receive a first round bye
4. The first round games will be played at the home site of the lower ranked team (5 hosts 12, 6 hosts 11, 7 hosts 10, 8 hosts 9) and not have a bowl game name
5. The remaining quarterfinals and semifinals will maintain the NY6 bowl names (Rose, Cotton, Peach, Fiesta, Orange and Sugar) sites
That’s not what I read. I read that the first four are the four highest conference champs and i concur that they will probably come from the conferences you name. These four receive byes and are seeded 1-4. The next two slots are reserved for the highest ranked conference champs not already included. These are seeded with the remaining six but it probably the way to insure all the major conference champs would be included and at least one from the lesser conference. Liberty would have been a twelve seed if the rules were applied this year knocking out Oklahoma which was actually ranked twelve by the committe. My question involves a possible situation when an undefeated team is perhaps upset by a team with three losses (I know, unlikely) in The conference championship. This three loss team would likely displace a higher ranked team as well. It could have happened in the ACC with just a couple of changes.

These four receive byes and are seeded 1-4. The next two slots are reserved for the highest ranked conference champs not already included.
That is 6 slots for conference champions. I think there will only be 5 slots for them, with the death of the PAC.

That’s not what I read. I read that the first four are the four highest conference champs and i concur that they will probably come from the conferences you name. These four receive byes and are seeded 1-4. The next two slots are reserved for the highest ranked conference champs not already included. These are seeded with the remaining six but it probably the way to insure all the major conference champs would be included and at least one from the lesser conference. Liberty would have been a twelve seed if the rules were applied this year knocking out Oklahoma which was actually ranked twelve by the committe. My question involves a possible situation when an undefeated team is perhaps upset by a team with three losses (I know, unlikely) in The conference championship. This three loss team would likely displace a higher ranked team as well. It could have happened in the ACC with just a couple of changes.
I think we are saying the exact same thing. Our only difference is that since the PAC12 will no longer exist, it will no longer be 6 total slots, but rather 5 total slots for conference champs (Big10, Big12, ACC, SEC, G5).

As for your other question…yes, if a team wins the conference championship, but is not in the top 12 teams, they will displace a team. 4 loss Okie St is the perfect example this year.

I am just throwing thing against the wall, but to avoid having a group school going 13-0 and prickclaiming themselves national champion or to avoid being sued, and losing, some discrimination suit.

I don't think OM would have been a 12 seed, not sure what you are trying to say. I think they would have been a top 8 seed.

Good thing we don’t have to rely on your thoughts.

Ole miss would have been 11 and Oklahoma 12

And you and I both know they’d have both had better shots at beating the 5th and 6th seeds than an SMU type.

Good thing we don’t have to rely on your thoughts.

Ole miss would have been 11 and Oklahoma 12

And you and I both know they’d have both had better shots at beating the 5th and 6th seeds than an SMU type.

No its like the ones who do the rankings need to check in with me before they post. OM was better than Missouri, they beat PSU like a drum so they were better than them which would have put them at 9. Not sure how anyone would have PSU above them.

It’s probably just to maintain some appearance of fairness and try to draw a few extra viewers to the opening round by having an underdog story for neutral fans to cheer for. I doubt there will be many years if any where the G5 team is a championship threat, but honestly, there haven’t been any cases since the start of the 4 team playoff where a P5 that far down the list was either, and they’ve often struggled to even get competitive semifinal games in the current format. It seems like a fair compromise that doesn’t really hurt anyone to me.

The best 3 this year: Tulane lost by 3 TDs to a middling P5 team, SMU lost to .500 BC team by 10 and Liberty getting annihilated by Oregon. If the three best can't beat two average P5 teams or even be competitive with a good P5 team, why do they get a slot in the playoffs?

You're telling me SMU should be in this year over Ole Miss or Penn State or others? About once a decade the G5 team will put up a good fight, imo. Sort of like 15- and 16-seeds in March Madness. And basketball, where one player means >>> than in football, is a whole lot more prone to this type of upset.
It is political and to shape public and media opinion. But, what does it matter, there were 5 teams that would have had a shot to win it this year, 4 playoff teams plus GA. Penn St, Ole Miss, Liberty, Tulane, nobody else but maybe Oregon. It is all about Benjamin's but 9 out of 10 years top 4 or5 will be who will be left standing.

No, about fairness, or trying to create an underdog Cinderella story for ratings.

Lawsuit. Nothing but avoiding the 70 or so G5 schools suing the CFB playoff for lack of access.

And the CFB playoff has already changed for 2024 due to the death of the Pac 12. Top 5 ranked conference champs auto bids, 7 at large. Now they just need to figure out some TV.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT