ADVERTISEMENT

Tall WRs and UK football

Girthang

All-American
Dec 12, 2019
Why does it seem that we can't hang on to and utilize tall wide receivers the way UT, Bama, and Georgia have for decades?. Seems like we can sign them but then they always transfer out. We've had some in the 6'1" range stick around, but very few that stick and are utilized. Wagner and King come to mind.

Seems there have been more leave than pan out.

Chris Lewis is one I wish we could have held onto but he didn't want to play behind Key at X.
I keep hoping we hear some good things from Porter. I'm hearing Cottrell just wasn't able to get open.
I look for us to ink at least one X type receiver in this class I know one guy they are hard after is about 6' 5". Could add one from the portal.

Last edited:
Chris Lewis is one I wish would could have held onto but he didn't want to play behind Key at X.
I keep hoping we hear some good things from Porter. I'm hearing Cottrell just wasn't able to get open.
I look for us to ink at least one X type receiver in this class I know one guy they are hard after is about 6' 5". Could add one from the portal.

Same. That one hurt as soon as I heard it. I don't get why we don't split time and figured we would need to do that more with going uptempo. The guys will need to share reps in-game.

Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
Yeah. Those are a sprinkling of the many we've signed and brought in over the past 20 years. Nm

• Love
Reactions: footerball
To the point....,many of the taller WR we have gotten are slow dudes and can't separate is why we often flame out with the tall WR approach

Allen Dailey
Larod Kind (he was OK)
Ahmad Wagner (did draw insane amount of penalties in short time)
Kayunne Ross
Chris Lewis (sucks he transferred quickly)

There are others....but you've got to be able to run a bit or have insane ball skills to play in SEC. Teams migrate to a single high safety and put those corners on an island...and you need to be able to beat those coverages.

To be fair...Dane Key is slow-ish as a WR...but he's got really good hands (most of time) and jumping/ball skills to make his mark on SEC defenses.

To the point....,many of the taller WR we have gotten are slow dudes and can't separate is why we often flame out with the tall WR approach

Allen Dailey
Larod Kind (he was OK)
Ahmad Wagner (did draw insane amount of penalties in short time)
Kayunne Ross
Chris Lewis (sucks he transferred quickly)

There are others....but you've got to be able to run a bit or have insane ball skills to play in SEC. Teams migrate to a single high safety and put those corners on an island...and you need to be able to beat those coverages.

To be fair...Dane Key is slow-ish as a WR...but he's got really good hands (most of time) and jumping/ball skills to make his mark on SEC defenses.
I think Larod King is #7 all time in receptions (134) and yards (1,706) and 5th in TD receptions (18).

Very underappreciated player IMO.

Lonnel DeWalt, if memory serves. Believe he holds the SEC record for blocked kicks in a career and he did it in one year.
I dont know why teams dont put their tallest player in on FG block attempts. Line them up in the middle and just tell them to jump high as they can. Hell UK used to do that with DeWalt and I believe did it with other tall players too in the past.

I dont know why teams dont put their tallest player in on FG block attempts. Line them up in the middle and just tell them to jump high as they can. Hell UK used to do that with DeWalt and I believe did it with other tall players too in the past.
They could bring guys in from the basketball team just a leapers on FG and XP.

I think Larod King is #7 all time in receptions (134) and yards (1,706) and 5th in TD receptions (18).

Very underappreciated player IMO.

One of my favorite players from back then. Wasn't King the one who blocked kicks as well? I know there was a tall WR that excelled at that in the center of the FGD formation.

Nm... DeWalt! Could not remember his name!

Reactions: Lost In FL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT