ADVERTISEMENT

Streaming TV

Is it right? Is it wrong? Does it fall in a grey area? It boils down to being a moral issue.
It's unethical, but not illegal. I still am of the belief that it's only a matter of time before the streamers lobby politicians enough to make streaming pirated content illegal. And frankly I don't it will take much lobbying to get most rational human beings on board with making it illegal, it's just to what extent of illegality they want to make it be.

FWIW... I just read the Apple TV will be offering sunday ticket (just not announced yet)

I'm pretty sure that deal is for regular hulu and not hulu live. For live streaming you'll pay $70/mo.

Youtube TV is still the best. Hulu is close but it's harder to fast forward past commercials on the replays.
100% agree.

I’m about to cut the coaxial cord. What recommendations for streaming television? I can’t miss a Kentucky game
Youtube TV. Tremendous sports package for those who live in Kentucky (SECN/ACCN/Big10) and unlimited DVR.
I’m about to cut the coaxial cord. What recommendations for streaming television? I can’t miss a Kentucky game

It's unethical, but not illegal. I still am of the belief that it's only a matter of time before the streamers lobby politicians enough to make streaming pirated content illegal. And frankly I don't it will take much lobbying to get most rational human beings on board with making it illegal, it's just to what extent of illegality they want to make it be.
Unethical to save some money? God forbid anybody gets ahead in this world. Inflation, gas, housing market ect is just plain robbery. If a guy can save some money anyway you can it's a win imo.

I was on YouTubeTV about 5 years or so ago when it was $35/month. When it went to above $60, I dropped it. I think when Covid happened and there were no live sports, I learned I could live without them most of the time.

The last two years I just paid for SlingOrange with the Sports Add-on during college football season only. I re-upped it during March Madness this year and got burned on that.

Other than during college football, I don't pay for anything unless you count my minimum annual donation to KET that lets me watch all of their shows streaming. Except for sports, there is no real reason to have a subscription TV service. There is a ton of free content out there.

• Love
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I keep thinking Bally (formally known as Fox Sports) will crumble and make a deal with someone outside of Directv. I have YouTubetv. It hasn’t hurt me often when it comes to watching UK sports. It only burns me when the Cubs play the Reds. Last year there was a football game I had to find a stream on but otherwise it’s great. I pay 50 a month for AT&T internet so it’s cheaper than what I was paying for U-Verse

Apollo group Tv. You can watch literally anything and every channel on the planet.

Another vote for YouTubeTV. I've had it for 3 years.
C if you are spending a dime it's to much. Get a firestick. Go to Troypoint.com. He will show you. How to download cinema HD. And kodi. Download seren and what ever else he recimends. I watch everything. Network shows are on within a hour to the next day after broadcast. Plus 100s of movies back to silent I hear there are some new sports channels. During basketball season I used sling for about 25 a month then canceled. May be free this year. What else you need. Nothing.

Reactions: gharding07
@Gromcat it’s funny, I said earlier in the thread I’d never heard of Bally Sports network. I watch the Cardinals home broadcasts off mlb.com and just noticed McLaughlin calling it the Bally Sports network. I guess it slipped by me because I was just used to fox sports Midwest.

I had Dish the last 10 years plus and was paying $120 a month. Cut the cord 1st of year and went with YouTube TV and love it. Paying $68 Momth for everything we could want to watch and have Internet 200MEg for $59. I couldn’t be happier with what we have.

They keep jacking the prices up but YouTube TV is the best of the ones I have tried which includes Sling, Hulu and DirectTV.
It probably is actually. We do get like 140 channels through Sling with their Total TV plan, which is $77. Just finished installing the antenna I got through them yesterday. Had to move it because I was missing a few channels at the previous location. Anyway, we get 38 locals from that alone. Might as well say almost 180 channels.

EDIT: Wish they offered unlimited DVR like Hulu and YouTube.

I was on Sling TV for awhile but I'm much happier with YouTube TV. Love the unlimited DVR. Only thing I don't like is having to FF through recorded commercials, and that's minor. It's never 'forgotten' to DVR a UK game yet. But that's not why I'm posting in this thread. Below is my golden wisdom:

I'd also like to offer a tip for internet provider. I have had (and HATED) several vendors, and currently Spectrum. Any of you that are paying more than XX bucks a month (depending on your service/speed, of course) should call and (follow this script exactly) tell them that "you want to schedule your disconnection for the end of the month" (or end of next month if you prefer). It doesn't matter when. Just set a date and don't tell them why. They will go through the motions and say a few things as if they are setting it up, and eventually they'll ask you why you're disconnecting. Calmly tell them that you're tired of 'Spectrum' raising their rates uncontrollably, and you're finally fed up with it, and that you'll be going with a competitor. They will ask if you mind to hold on while they look at options, or they may even forward your call to the retention department. In doing this, I recently got Spectrum to lock me into high speed internet for TWO YEARS at a guaranteed rate of 49.99 (I was previously paying 89.99). I've done this in the past with multiple vendors and it works 99% of the time because they would rather have you as a customer at a lower rate than to lose you completely. DO THIS TODAY.
What should I wear when making the call?

It probably is actually. We do get like 140 channels through Sling with their Total TV plan, which is $77. Just finished installing the antenna I got through them yesterday. Had to move it because I was missing a few channels at the previous location. Anyway, we get 38 locals from that alone. Might as well say almost 180 channels.

EDIT: Wish they offered unlimited DVR like Hulu and YouTube.
The unlimited DVR and the fact that if a game runs long that YouTube TV will record it all is what draws me to YouTube.

What should I wear when making the call?
Uh, khakis, DUH.....

jake-state-farm.gif

Reactions: Soupbean
the fact that if a game runs long that YouTube TV will record it all is what draws me to YouTube.
Legit the best feature. Works for everything too. Game runs over and the show you wanted to record starts late? Well you still get the whole show.

When I was on Dish I got screwed more times than I can count on stuff like that.

Reactions: Creed Bratton
Legit the best feature. Works for everything too. Game runs over and the show you wanted to record starts late? Well you still get the whole show.

When I was on Dish I got screwed more times than I can count on stuff like that.
As a younger man, I had my mother in law record the UK-Louisville hoops game while we were at a wedding. When I sat down to watch the game that night, it was 100% fuzz.

I had to wait for the re-broadcast at 2AM to watch the game. Not pleased.

I've recently started using a media server called JellyFin. Its kind of Plex's black sheep cousin.

So does YouTube TV not have FSN ?

And how do they send you a remote or how do you change channels?

Saw where they had a 2 week free trial that ends 6/15 but don't want to ditch DirecTV if there's something I'm missing.

Saw where they had a 2 week free trial that ends 6/15 but don't want to ditch DirecTV if there's something I'm missing.
You use your existing hardware. Youtube TV is an app. If you have Amazon prime you would just add it as an app and user your existing remote to change channels. Most new TVs these days have the ability to add apps as well. That's what I do. It really works almost exactly like cable does except there is no hardware. You can change channels with the up and down button but most people click on the guide button and choose a channel from there.

You can also use it on your computer which is handy if you are traveling. You not only have access to youtubetv but also your DVR recordings. The only thing is the local channels will change depending on where you are.

Can you ff through the commercials on the dvr recordings? I have a friend complaining about not being allowed to skip commercials on many channels?
If you DVR it, you can skip the commercials. If you watch the recorded ON Demand shows (not recorded to your DVR library) you have to watch the commercials.

I use YouTube tv. I like that you can turn it off and on. I turned it off as soon as basketball season was over and I will turn it back on when football starts up.

I use YouTube tv. I like that you can turn it off and on. I turned it off as soon as basketball season was over and I will turn it back on when football starts up.
One of the most underrated aspects of streaming TV -- no contracts. Try one for a couple months, don't like it, cancel it and try another one.

FSN (Fox Sports Net) is no more. It's rebranded as Bally Sports. If you want them for baseball and other regional sports, DirecTV or their streaming package DirecTV now is your choice unless you use firesticks or get out of market games on the MLB app which are still broadcasts of Bally Sports.

Do you have Superbox setup using a VPN?
I could have missed it, but I didn't see any instances of end users being targeted - seems like the suppliers are the investigative targets.
These days I would get a VPN if you're using streams on app like Kodi, torrenting, etc and if caught not doing so, an ISP will send you a letter warning you (a strike) furthermore reduce your internet speed and can terminate your service. Extreme scenarios a copyright holder can sue you. Anyone who says otherwise is lying or misinformed. If you go down that route, use a VPN.

if you want to keep up with what it happening in IPTV, I would subscribe to Troypoint's newsletter.

As far as I know, there hasn't been a situation where someone receiving a stream of content has been taken to court, however, for people not protected by a VPN, they have been sent letters from their ISP with warnings as mentioned earlier.

That said.....

In 2016

In the case of IPVanish, federal law enforcement came knocking with a warrant (or, more precisely, a Department of Homeland Security records summons), and the VPN's "zero-logs" policy was put to the test. IPVanish provided authorities information that led to the identification and arrest of a child predator. A similar incident the following year revealed PureVPN had cooperated with the FBI to track a stalker using its service. In other words: Both "no log" VPNs appeared to be providing logs to authorities.

Last edited:
Agree on the torrenting. Due to the nature of torrenting, you're uploading while you're downloading. The uploading (sharing) is what seems to be the main targets.

Do you know of any cases of end use streamers/customers being targeted? or links to any court cases that I could review? I checked with a couple of attorneys and they weren't aware of any pending cases in the US against iptv customers.
People who are hosting the stream have been.
https://torrentfreak.com/jetflicks-...7-months-prison-1m-confiscation-order-210515/
I don't know of instances where viewers of a stream have been targeted though without a VPN. If you're IP address is logged on a site that a copyright holder sends a DMCA violation to the streamer to take down, you are at risk and cease & desist letter can be sent. One can play the odds game but never know when their time is coming.

You use your existing hardware. Youtube TV is an app. If you have Amazon prime you would just add it as an app and user your existing remote to change channels. Most new TVs these days have the ability to add apps as well. That's what I do. It really works almost exactly like cable does except there is no hardware. You can change channels with the up and down button but most people click on the guide button and choose a channel from there.

You can also use it on your computer which is handy if you are traveling. You not only have access to youtubetv but also your DVR recordings. The only thing is the local channels will change depending on where you are.
Thank you very much. I'm torn as I love DTV and love the remote and interface. The price has just gotten out of control. Hard call. I think I'll stick with DTV for now and try to work them down on price.

Thank you very much. I'm torn as I love DTV and love the remote and interface. The price has just gotten out of control. Hard call. I think I'll stick with DTV for now and try to work them down on price.
Tell them you're leaving, found an alternative with a better price for the same thing they are offering. Worked the past 2 years and dropped my bill $40 a month for a customer loyalty discount for a year. Call back when it expires. It's outrageous what they charge for someone who only watches sports and DirecTV offers a cheaper alternative of their own with the same content for what they were charging to have a traditional cable box. I would have gone the streaming route but as I said earlier in the thread, caring for elderly parents at my home and much easier for them to use than to navigate apps, devices, etc.

Reactions: UKWoodford
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT