ADVERTISEMENT

Streaming TV

The only thing stopping me from getting rid of DirecTV is regional sports network packages. In particular, which streaming services out there would carry Ball Sports Network?
You are going to be out of luck unfortunately. Directv streaming has them I believe. Hulu and YouTube do not.

I’m about to cut the coaxial cord. What recommendations for streaming television? I can’t miss a Kentucky game

There is a bundle package where you get Hulu, Disney Plus and ESPN+ for $15 a month (I believe that is the price). Think that and Paramount would cover for most all of the games.

We ditched boxes but not cable, did move to cloud service. I pay $175 now....actually a place where I've save some cash (could probably save more) in the past year. HBO/Showtime are included in above.

However, I also subscribe to Paramount, Peacock, Prime...so we pay more like $210-$215 total with WiFI6 internet, cloud DVR and everything else.

The good thing is I get about a quarter of that per month reimbursed for work, so really about $160 all in.

Admittedly, I have not really shopped around. Just guessing the internet alone would cost like $75 through spectrum then I need streaming services and not sure what all those would cost (Bally sports, DIY channels, etc)....not interested in doing anything shady.

Last edited:
I was very hesitant to cut the cord about a year ago. Switched to YouTubeTV and was wondering why I didn’t do it sooner. $70/month. Can’t beat it and I honestly don’t even recognize a difference.

How much do you pay for internet?

There is a bundle package where you get Hulu, Disney Plus and ESPN+ for $15 a month (I believe that is the price). Think that and Paramount would cover for most all of the games.

We ditched boxes but not cable, did move to cloud service. I pay $175 now....actually a place where I've save some cash (could probably save more) in the past year. HBO/Showtime are included in above.

However, I also subscribe to Paramount, Peacock, Prime...so we pay more like $210-$215 total with WiFI6 internet, cloud DVR and everything else.

The good think is I get about a quarter of that per month reimbursed for work, so really about $160 all in.
I'm pretty sure that deal is for regular hulu and not hulu live. For live streaming you'll pay $70/mo.

Youtube TV is still the best. Hulu is close but it's harder to fast forward past commercials on the replays.

I'm pretty sure that deal is for regular hulu and not hulu live. For live streaming you'll pay $70/mo.

Youtube TV is still the best. Hulu is close but it's harder to fast forward past commercials on the replays.

You are correct. In my case I have Spectrum for live TV. The bundle is mostly for kids (Disney) and then get the Hulu shows and movies, plus ESPN random games that aren't on their regular networks.

I just struggle to see how I could save much more.

If WiFi6 runs around $75 monthly, then I subscribe to YouTube TV + HBO/Showtime at minimum I would have to be pushing $75+....then have the Disney package, Amazon...even if I cut Paramount/Peacock, I'd be at at least $175. So maybe I could shave off a little, but not seeing some astronomical.

Am I right or missing something?

Who provides and is it high speed, WiFi6...we have kids and I work from home.
I get it through Xfinity/Comcast. It says it’s 300mbps (I’m no guru here, so just writing what it says). We have 4 TV’s and 4 devices that run off of it and never have lags. I don’t work from home, but know many in our development who do and use that service.

I get it through Xfinity/Comcast. It says it’s 300mbps (I’m no guru here, so just writing what it says). We have 4 TV’s and 4 devices that run off of it and never have lags. I don’t work from home, but know many in our development who do and use that service.

Thanks. I'll look into Spectrum options, limited to them and CinciBell here. We have a lot of connected devices so need speed for sure.

I was very hesitant to cut the cord about a year ago. Switched to YouTubeTV and was wondering why I didn’t do it sooner. $70/month. Can’t beat it and I honestly don’t even recognize a difference.

AND, if you are cheap, like I am, you can pay for it with discounted gift cards.

The good thing is I get about a quarter of that per month reimbursed for work, so really about $160 all in.

Admittedly, I have not really shopped around. Just guessing the internet alone would cost like $75 through spectrum then I need streaming services and not sure what all those would cost (Bally sports, DIY channels, etc)....not interested in doing anything shady.
You're not getting ESPN Kentucky games legally without a live TV subscription

Reactions: STL_Cat
So you mean a Fire Stick with an option in the settings that anyone can turn on? lol

I noticed this when I got my fire stick, the “jail break” was simple menu settings. However the set up on the apps can be worth it as the few I’ve tried never worked (other third party apps do, yay for retroarch)

We have Sling with the Total TV deal, $77 a month for around 140 channels. Use an outdoor antenna for most locals. Also have the ESPN+ package with Hulu and Disney and Discovery+ with added hotspot through Verizon for $17. Then have Paramount, HBO Max and Prime. Use three Roku players. Got a free upgrade from Windstream with 1,000 Mbps fiber for $60 a month. Happier than a pig in shit since cutting the cord.

Reactions: seccats04
My cable bill went up from $249 to $264, I'm on Spectrum, and I'm highly considering dropping them other than just keeping the internet with them. I don't subscribe to any movie channels and just have the sports package.

It is truly insane how much cable costs...

I subscribe to Netflix, HBO Max, Prime, and that Hulu, Disney +, and ESPN + deal. I also subscribe to an IPTV thing that I could use for what I get on cable but that could be gone at any time. The only thing that stops me from dropping the channels is my aunt and uncle are old school and is more comfortable using just the boxes to watch tv. They also don't understand the buffering issues and when I try to explain it to them they're just not interested lol

I do wonder if Spectrum will try to negotiate a better deal than what I am paying now, it's just ridiculous paying that much and not having any type of movie channels.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
My cable bill went up from $249 to $264, I'm on Spectrum, and I'm highly considering dropping them other than just keeping the internet with them. I don't subscribe to any movie channels and just have the sports package.

I subscribe to Netflix, HBO Max, Prime, and that Hulu, Disney +, and ESPN + deal. I also subscribe to an IPTV thing that I could use for what I get on cable but that could be gone at any time. The only thing that stops me from dropping the channels is my aunt and uncle are old school and is more comfortable using just the boxes to watch tv. They also don't understand the buffering issues and when I try to explain it to them they're just not interested lol

I do wonder if Spectrum will try to negotiate a better deal than what I am paying now, it's just ridiculous paying that much and not having any type of movie channels.

I pay $80 monthly for gig speed Fios internet and then $65 for YouTube tv, which has every channel you can imagine including local. You are getting ripped off big time.

That is what my bill climbed to over the course of 2-3 years. I got rid of 4 cable boxes (2 DVR) and regular DVR service. Dropped telephone line. Picked up cloud DVR (100 recordings) and my bill went down by almost $100 a month....and I have HBO and Showtime.

I'm not suggesting you act any sort of way but I killed my telesales rep with kindness and they made stuff happen.

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder
I was on Sling TV for awhile but I'm much happier with YouTube TV. Love the unlimited DVR. Only thing I don't like is having to FF through recorded commercials, and that's minor. It's never 'forgotten' to DVR a UK game yet. But that's not why I'm posting in this thread. Below is my golden wisdom:

I'd also like to offer a tip for internet provider. I have had (and HATED) several vendors, and currently Spectrum. Any of you that are paying more than XX bucks a month (depending on your service/speed, of course) should call and (follow this script exactly) tell them that "you want to schedule your disconnection for the end of the month" (or end of next month if you prefer). It doesn't matter when. Just set a date and don't tell them why. They will go through the motions and say a few things as if they are setting it up, and eventually they'll ask you why you're disconnecting. Calmly tell them that you're tired of 'Spectrum' raising their rates uncontrollably, and you're finally fed up with it, and that you'll be going with a competitor. They will ask if you mind to hold on while they look at options, or they may even forward your call to the retention department. In doing this, I recently got Spectrum to lock me into high speed internet for TWO YEARS at a guaranteed rate of 49.99 (I was previously paying 89.99). I've done this in the past with multiple vendors and it works 99% of the time because they would rather have you as a customer at a lower rate than to lose you completely. DO THIS TODAY.

I think you're probably talking about WatchESPN or whatever they call it now.

No it is definitely on plus network. For instance I watched Big Blue Madness on vacation in Virginia but maybe that was on ESPN+ network only. I just log into + and watch.

Either way I think I'm mistaken 🤣

Reactions: STL_Cat
Yes sir, this right here.

I went from a Directv customer of 14 years to YouTubeTV 3 years ago, cut what I was paying for TV alone in half. I’ve not missed Directv for one second of one day. Barely notice the difference, other than I don’t have to delete something I have saved on DVR to save something else now. Unlimited DVR is killer

No it is definitely on plus network. For instance I watched Big Blue Madness on vacation in Virginia but maybe that was on ESPN+ network only. I just log into + and watch.

Either way I think I'm mistaken 🤣
Interesting. I know I get SEC+ on the ESPN app I logged into using my Youtube TV credentials.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Pissed me off switching from YouTube TV. I loved it. But I can’t get Bally Sports anywhere other than Direct TV streaming. Had to.

If you need Bally it’s direct tv streaming or bust.

Reactions: UKortho
ADVERTISEMENT