ADVERTISEMENT

Streaming TV

I was thinking of changing from DIRECTVStream to YouTube. Think it’s missing Lifetime channel for wife or something so I didn’t make the move.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I’m about to cut the coaxial cord. What recommendations for streaming television? I can’t miss a Kentucky game
Youtube TV is the best I have tried. They have a section in the DVR where you put in your favorite teams you want to record and it auotmatically records the games and goes well past when the game is over so you do not miss anything if it goes OT or something

Pissed me off switching from YouTube TV. I loved it. But I can’t get Bally Sports anywhere other than Direct TV streaming. Had to.

If you need Bally it’s direct tv streaming or bust.
It's crazy that in 2022, only 1 option Direct TV for Bally Sports. Just 1 channel is all I need their sports package for. It's ridiculous. Can't even get CBS Sports Network with the Sports package without the premium package for even more channels I don't need. In the event UK plays on CBSN like they did vs Southern Miss awhile back, SOL and no NHL Network. I can live without that but what is so special that it isn't included when the MLB, NBA & NFL Networks are?

My bill was going to be over around $170 but I called Direct TV telling them I was going to cancel, you all offer what I need cheaper with Direct TV Now streaming and there's millions of people streaming around the world not paying a cable bill. Cut the cost $40 but still paying way too much for someone who just watches sports.

I'm also caring for my elderly parents at my house and it's far more convenient to keep regular TV for them than nonstop going through streams/apps on media devices, having 2 or 3 remotes and explaining what button to hit each time. Had to do that for those SEC Network plus games this year.

My biggest takeaway from this thread is that I’ve never heard of Bally Sports and apparently a lot of people can’t live without it.

Can’t get any St. Louis sports without it. Fox Midwest is no more. That goes for other teams as well.

Reactions: kybloo92
Can’t get any St. Louis sports without it. Fox Midwest is no more. That goes for other teams as well.
Gotcha. I get all the Cardinal games through MLB.com and don’t care enough about the Blues to try and figure out how to watch them. So I watch the Cardinals just fine without it.

Reactions: Gromcat
@STL_Cat @Smashcat As @Gromcat if your team televises its games through the Bally Sports Networks and you live the same region it is the only way you're watching your team is through them. MLB.com will blackout the game if you live in the region. Even if you're out of the region for St. Louis, their games streamed on MLB.com use the Bally Sports stream. This all started last year with the rebranding after the FSN channels went away. Trying to stream a game on the Bally Sports app is a joke. I've written Sinclair sports who owns them about their technical difficulties and it seems to be an issue for many across the country and their region's Bally Sports Network.

Last edited:
@STL_Cat @Smashcat As @Gromcat if your team televises its games through the Bally Sports Networks and you live the same region it is the only way you watching your team is through them. MLB.com will blackout the game if you live in the region. Even if you're out of the region for St. Louis, their games streamed on MLB.com use the Bally Sports stream. This all started last year with the rebranding after the FSN channels went away. Trying to stream a game on the Bally Sports app is a joke. I've written Sinclair sports who owns them about their technical difficulties and it seems to be an issue for many across the country and their region's Bally Sports Network.
Ah, gotcha. I live in Franklin, TN so no issue there. Unless the Cards are playing the Braves or Reds, then it gets blacked out.

Reactions: kybloo92
Ah, gotcha. I live in Franklin, TN so no issue there. Unless the Cards are playing the Braves or Reds, then it gets blacked out.
I used to live in Clarksville, TN and somehow got the Reds & Braves every night, sometimes on multiple Fox Sports regional channels. Whenever WZTV Fox 17 in Nasvhille would show FOX's game on the week and St. Louis playing, we'd get St. Louis as the regional game yet I couldn't even watch them on FS Midwest on Direct TV. Something never added up there. Closer to St. Louis than Cincinnati or Atlanta in Clarksville.

Last edited:
ESPN+ is legal. You could hypothetically just have high speed internet and a ESPN+ subscription and watch all UK games. You don't need a TV subscription from ISP.
I don’t believe this is accurate. You still need a cable/streaming provider and use your login credentials to sign in and watch live sports and other live content via ESPN. Now, you can watch all the 30 for 30 library and all other non live TV content without a provider. At least that is what I’ve experienced.

It's crazy that in 2022, only 1 option Direct TV for Bally Sports. Just 1 channel is all I need their sports package for. It's ridiculous. Can't even get CBS Sports Network with the Sports package without the premium package for even more channels I don't need. In the event UK plays on CBSN like they did vs Southern Miss awhile back, SOL and no NHL Network. I can live without that but what is so special that it isn't included when the MLB, NBA & NFL Networks are?

My bill was going to be over around $170 but I called Direct TV telling them I was going to cancel, you all offer what I need cheaper with Direct TV Now streaming and there's millions of people streaming around the world not paying a cable bill. Cut the cost $40 but still paying way too much for someone who just watches sports.

I'm also caring for my elderly parents at my house and it's far more convenient to keep regular TV for them than nonstop going through streams/apps on media devices, having 2 or 3 remotes and explaining what button to hit each time. Had to do that for those SEC Network plus games this year.
Yep. This is because they always force you to upgrade to a bigger, more expensive package. They force you to take 20 channels you don’t watch in order to get one or two that you need. It’s absurd.

Reactions: CB3UK
I don’t believe this is accurate. You still need a cable/streaming provider and use your login credentials to sign in and watch live sports and other live content via ESPN. Now, you can watch all the 30 for 30 library and all other non live TV content without a provider. At least that is what I’ve experienced.

Yeah I figured that out. I was mistaken.

Yeah, I learned it the hard way too. I was ecstatic at first. That’s where ESPN gets people. I wish it would work that way.

So I figured out why I was mistaken. I have Spectrum and the app on my phone too. You can watch TV from phone or tab in the house but once you disconnect from wifi and say you go out of town you have limited channels.

The ESPN+ app basically once you confirm you have a cable subscription you can watch it from anywhere...that is where I was mistaken. Was telling someone I watch BBM in Virginia last year, which I did but it was just based off my Spectrum login and works anywhere.

So I figured out why I was mistaken. I have Spectrum and the app on my phone too. You can watch TV from phone or tab in the house but once you disconnect from wifi and say you go out of town you have limited channels.

The ESPN+ app basically once you confirm you have a cable subscription you can watch it from anywhere...that is where I was mistaken. Was telling someone I watch BBM in Virginia last year, which I did but it was just based off my Spectrum login and works anywhere.
Spectrum isn’t available where we live. It is available a few miles down the road, where the MIL lives. We are restricted to satellite or Armstrong.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Its a streaming box that gets everything. Local, not local, all sports, MLB, NBA, NFL, Amazon, Disney, HULU, Netflix. You get it all. I paid $275 one time. I got mine from Louisville media box.
Maybe a dumb question, but why doesn't everyone do this then?

There's a lot of live sports on ESPN+, it's just that the majority of it is probably of little to no interest to folks on here. I've had that Disney+ bundle for a while now and can't recall ever watching an ESPN+ exclusive game.

Because we don't want to tell everyone because then they will crack down on it. So shhhhh.
and at some point you will get a DMCA letter from some streaming company or internet provider if you don't VPN

Maybe a dumb question, but why doesn't everyone do this then?
It's great until the plugins and apps start getting shut down for illegally providing content. Then you have to find something new to setup.

It's not illegal for the viewer to stream it, they just can't download it. With Netflix going nuts from their subscriber loss, only going to be a matter of time before the streamers start paying off politicians to crack down and make watching pirated content illegal as well.

Problem with this stuff is if you don't know what you're doing, you're going to be using an app/plugin that is downloading torrent files and then that's where you run into the problem as a viewer.

There's a lot of live sports on ESPN+, it's just that the majority of it is probably of little to no interest to folks on here. I've had that Disney+ bundle for a while now and can't recall ever watching an ESPN+ exclusive game.
This is correct. There’s live sports, just not the content that’s on ESPN, ESPN2, SEC, ACC, etc. There’s a lot of mid major type games and soccer.

Reactions: wildcatsboston1984
It's great until the plugins and apps start getting shut down for illegally providing content. Then you have to find something new to setup.

It's not illegal for the viewer to stream it, they just can't download it. With Netflix going nuts from their subscriber loss, only going to be a matter of time before the streamers start paying off politicians to crack down and make watching pirated content illegal as well.

Problem with this stuff is if you don't know what you're doing, you're going to be using an app/plugin that is downloading torrent files and then that's where you run into the problem as a viewer.
the quickest way to see your IPTV service shut down is for them to stream Netflix or Disney content, regardless of where they host the servers in the world. That's been happening for awhile now. At the moment , its a hydra - one gets shut down, 2 more replace it. How much longer, who knows - I'm surprised its lasted as long as it has.

the quickest way to see your IPTV service shut down is for them to stream Netflix or Disney content, regardless of where they host the servers in the world. That's been happening for awhile now. At the moment , its a hydra - one gets shut down, 2 more replace it. How much longer, who knows - I'm surprised its lasted as long as it has.

I've had no trouble for 9 months. I asked the guy who I brought mine from, how long will this last. He said easy 5 years. So if that's the case I've saved some good money for just the box. And if it happens before then, well I aint going to sweat it.. Just get the next new one...

Reactions: gharding07
I've had no trouble for 9 months. I asked the guy who I brought mine from, how long will this last. He said easy 5 years. So if that's the case I've saved some good money for just the box. And if it happens before then, well I aint going to sweat it.. Just get the next new one...
5 years lol he straight up lied to you.

You'll be lucky if the fire stick is even functional within five years. Those things age poorly. I got one 2-3 years ago and tossed it in the trash after a year because it became so slow.

5 years lol he straight up lied to you.

You'll be lucky if the fire stick is even functional within five years. Those things age poorly. I got one 2-3 years ago and tossed it in the trash after a year because it became so slow.

Fire stick? Its not a fire stick. I've had this box for 9 months already and has saved like what $1000? I'll take it...

I would be stunned if you get 5 years out of it. I'm not knocking anything here though, more power to 'em I say

I'm old school on this

I remember people hacking the eeprom chips on DirectTV cards and DTV sending out a signal on superbowl sunday blowing them up. Providers sold card programmers. They also sold subcriptions to scripts if you didn't want to write your own that would give you access to every DTV channel. A bunch of people got $3500 payment demand letters after that when the card reader providers in Canada got busted and gave up their customer lists.

More recently people were arrested for selling jailbroken firesticks at a flea market.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT