ADVERTISEMENT

Strange Lexington

Thread got me thinking of this guy.
12Q6OO.So.79.jpg

I remember seeing him campaigning by holding a sign on the side of the road, in the rain. Smiling, waving, and talking with people who rolled their window down. Growing up, I thought he was really strange. The older I get, the more I think he was just ahead of his time.
Went to high school with his daughter.

Reactions: Rebelfreedomeagle
I have never wanted to live in Lexington. Just doesn't appeal to me. I would rather live in a more southern climate with mountains and water like Knoxville.

There is a house on Fisherville Road maybe just outside the Jefferson County line that is built like a castle. You can barely see the top of it through the trees. There is a black gate outside with gold letters that say Oz. I’ve always been curious about who and why they built it.

tNpwtqG.png
Drive by there all the time and have often wondered the same.

Drove past the tiny pool house just now. Pool appears to still be open if anyone wants to stop by for a dip.
Drive by it most days on the way home and noticed that it was still open too. Could be converted into a large hot tub with a little effort.

There is a house on Fisherville Road maybe just outside the Jefferson County line that is built like a castle. You can barely see the top of it through the trees. There is a black gate outside with gold letters that say Oz. I’ve always been curious about who and why they built it.

tNpwtqG.png
In Prospect, where you turn off 42 onto 329 to go to Nevel Meade or on back around to the Crestwood exit on I-71, there is a really cool house that is built like a castle. It was featured as the home of the week in the Courier once. It is on Woodbridge Hill Lane if you are in that area and like castle houses. This one is right on the road so you can see all of it. Some dude started an internet site and sold it for $20 million and built it for his family.

highbridgeday.jpg

Grew up in Nicholasville and something has always creeped me out about High Bridge. Just gives me an eerie feeling being down there. My mom always told us about how when she was growing up they'd walk across the bridge and sometimes trains would come so you'd just have to sit on the edge holding on to the railing until it passed. I've always wondered how many people have fallen off or jumped to their deaths there.

Reactions: Elbridge
What the hell is up with the neighborhood right off Wilson Downing, close-ish to Kirklevington park? Out of nowhere that patch of big wood houses that have no business at all being there. Really bizarre, old wooden houses.

What the hell is up with the neighborhood right off Wilson Downing, close-ish to Kirklevington park? Out of nowhere that patch of big wood houses that have no business at all being there. Really bizarre, old wooden houses.
Spangler Dr?

highbridgeday.jpg

Grew up in Nicholasville and something has always creeped me out about High Bridge. Just gives me an eerie feeling being down there. My mom always told us about how when she was growing up they'd walk across the bridge and sometimes trains would come so you'd just have to sit on the edge holding on to the railing until it passed. I've always wondered how many people have fallen off or jumped to their deaths there.
In college I was on High Bridge one night with a couple of friends. We were drinking and sat at the center of the bridge while a train ran by. That was one of the dumbest and scariest things I've ever done. Beyond stupid. Never been back.

Maybe not all that strange, but at the new-ish roundabout at Old Frankfort and Alexandria (used to be Viley) their constructing a huge statue of Secretariat. Originally it was supposed to be 1.5x size, but the mock up looks huge.

Jocelyn-Russell-working-on-the-Secretariat-Sculpture.jpg

So they’re taking what used to be one of the most congested 4 way stops in town, which is now a very heavily traveled roundabout that still backs up daily, and are putting a scenic visitors attraction there. There will be a place to even pull over and walk through the busy roundabout to check it out up close.

That’s all fine, but there’s more. Two of the corners are simple stone fence/walls that are common throughout Fayette County. The other two corners are being constructed now and have the words Lexington and Kentucky on them, respectively (see below). When looking at the two walls, Kentucky is on the left and Lexington on the right, y’know the opposite you would see it written out. I suppose it makes sense if you’re traveling around the roundabout and see Lexington before Kentucky as you drive.

I’ve thought about this more than necessary.

Gz00Iq8.jpg

4OcKbow.jpg

Not Strange Lexington but what was the name of the pizza/arcade joint that was to the right of South Park Cinema in that alcove/breezeway area. Was there 35+ or so years ago

There was Tony’s Arcade and a Sir Pizza is still over there in Crossroads. Not sure if that is what you are referring to.

So in what century will they finish the construction of the Newtown Pike over NCR intersection? I get POed at that BS every time I've come to a UK FB game since 2001.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT