ADVERTISEMENT

Stopgap

Jan 5, 2018
As I posted last night, we have no choice but to give Pope a chance. Is it possible, however, that he is indeed a stopgap hire?

As I posted last night, we have no choice but to give Pope a chance. Is it possible, however, that he is indeed a stopgap hire?
Only if he doesn’t work out. If he’s successful here over the next 2-3 years you’re not firing him to move on to bigger fish.

I hope it is not a stopgap hire and one of our own succeeds here. Would love nothing more to see a Wildcat beat other alumni like Scheyer & Hubert to win National Championships. A stopgap coach would mean this program has just been stagnant and will be right back to the drawing board to do this all over again.

Reactions: NociHTTP
giphy.gif

No way. Mitch and UK had to see the negative reaction when popes name was floated. He knew this needed a massive sell. He wasn't risking his legacy on a stop gap.

Pope was rushed through Thursday night to make his hiring be the main story of the day instead of this. Mitch is done.

• Wow
Reactions: kywildcat41086
I view Pope in a completely opposite light. If anything, he's a lifer IF it works out. That's an enormous 'if', but he's a potential 15+ year hire. He has an uphill battle and a ton of work ahead to see that come to fruition, obviously.

Probably, but I'm willing to give him a try. Let's see what he can do with the portal.

I would have preferred Drew, but Pope is on par with Pearl and some other names.

This wasn’t a stop gap. This was a rebranding move and a return to tradition. Were lucky a coach as good as pope was available to be able to do this.

As I’ve said in other threads, a Mormon school as a top 25 program = Kentucky top 5 easily.

Calipari broke our brand and it was in serious trouble. Look at the guys we were going after. Drew and Pope, two highly respected guys in this profession. We sold our soul to Calipari and these types of guys reclaim it. It’s not a stop gap, this was a plan. We were known for all the wrong things under Calipari. Our 30 and under Crowd is totally retarded because of it. That’s bad business moving forward for UK.

Pope, as long as he doesn’t do egotistical and stupid things, will kill it here. And when he does we’ve got our guy for a generation.

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
He isn’t a stop gap. He’s in the realm of a Todd Golden, who has had moderate success at the P5 level, that you hope will translate to greater success at UK.

If he succeeds, he’s here 10 years.

He isn’t a stop gap. He’s in the realm of a Todd Golden, who has had moderate success at the P5 level, that you hope will translate to greater success at UK.

If he succeeds, he’s here 10 years.

Whew 10? I’d say closer to 15/20.

This wasn’t a stop gap. This was a rebranding move and a return to tradition. Were lucky a coach as good as pope was available to be able to do this.

As I’ve said in other threads, a Mormon school as a top 25 program = Kentucky top 5 easily.

Calipari broke our brand and it was in serious trouble. Look at the guys we were going after. Drew and Pope, two highly respected guys in this profession. We sold our soul to Calipari and these types of guys reclaim it. It’s not a stop gap, this was a plan. We were known for all the wrong things under Calipari. Our 30 and under Crowd is totally retarded because of it. That’s bad business moving forward for UK.

Pope, as long as he doesn’t do egotistical and stupid things, will kill it here. And when he does we’ve got our guy for a generation.
Well said. Ignore the fools that tried to call Barnhart in the wee hours of the morning, lmao.

Pope and the style of play are going to be SO refreshing.

Reactions: RaginRondo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT