ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops seriously can't be the coach next year right?

He won’t be the coach if you want to sell season tickets or get NIL contributions .
It’s a nice card to be able to play as a fanbase right! We’ve all seen the posts about not buying tickets or not going to games anymore. That’s hard to do when you’ve already put your money in. But NIL $, it’s needed now if you want to compete and get the best players. That’s a lot easier to withhold. Gives the fans more say and could expedite coaching changes. We’ll see I guess.

Brooks and it’s easy. I’ve said before and I’ll say it again, I’m 32 and the best UK football team of my lifetime was the year we beat LSU, the eventual national champion. That game was no fluke, we were that good. Injuries ruined that season.

You’re not gonna corner me and make me admit Stoops is a good coach. He sucks.
That same Brooks team that best LSU lost at home to a bad Mississippi st team. Got crushed by a mediocre South Carolina team and lost five games…and only made music city bowl

You csn crap on stoops all day with two citrus bowls is way better than any bowl season Brooks put up

Reactions: M4CAT and phunterd
That same Brooks team that best LSU lost at home to a bad Mississippi st team. Got crushed by a mediocre South Carolina team and lost five games…and only made music city bowl

You csn crap on stoops all day with two citrus bowls is way better than any bowl season Brooks put up

All Brooks had to do was go up against Phil Fulmer, Urban Meyer, Mark Richt, Bobby Johnson and Steve Spurrier.

Four Hall of Famers and a damn good coach in a tough situation.

Stoops season has been really bad…but outside Bryant…he’s been easy second best

Only Curci is in the running…but he got probation for cheating

joker
Brooks
Morris
Mumme
Curry
Claiborne

Pick a better one?
John Ray you forgot him come on man 😆

And again.. like I said, injuries hurt that team. We were top 10 in the middle of the season.

I mean if you’re asking who I think has had better talent, it’s Stoops. And why? Because he makes 9 million compared to Brooks made 1 million. Stoops has had every single resource to be successful here. He was blessed with a down SEC East for almost a full decade.

But you’re not gonna convince me for a second Stoops is a better coach than Brooks so you’re wasting your time. Hell Stoops can’t even draw up ONE single pass play. He’s an embarrassment.

Well, the other side of that coin is that Brooks didn't recruit as well as Stoops does, and for sure, that is part of being a good coach. But, if you could swap each coach out and let them play with the talent the other coach had. I venture to say Brooks would probably do a little better record-wise, maybe not vastly better, but I do think he would have done better. We didn't see the same coaching gaffes under Brooks that we do with Stoops that are STILL happening 12 years later.

Well, the other side of that coin is that Brooks didn't recruit as well as Stoops does, and for sure, that is part of being a good coach. But, if you could swap each coach out and let them play with the talent the other coach had. I venture to say Brooks would probably do a little better record-wise, maybe not vastly better, but I do think he would have done better. We didn't see the same coaching gaffes under Brooks that we do with Stoops that are STILL happening 12 years later.

And Brooks would tell you exactly what they did wrong and what they needed to do to fix it.

Burton, Little and I believe a key defensive player were injured in that Miss State game.

The USC game was a Thursday night game and we played poorly.

We lost to Florida and a Heisman Trophy winner the week after LSU in a close game (inevitable emotional letdown)

Tennessee was an OT loss I believe.

One of the greatest what-if seasons in UK history…but I also believe that team was better than the Citrus Bowl teams top to bottom despite only making it to the Music City Bowl. You had NFL talent at all the key skill positions, and several defensive players who went on to NFL careers (Woodyard, Peters, Jarmon, Lindley). Even the third string running back, Alphonso Smith, enjoyed a long NFL career as a special teams ace.

They were certainly more entertaining offensively than any team Stoops has produced. Woodson-Little-Dixon-Burton-Johnson-Lyons-Tamme trumps anything Stoops has rolled out.

And how, pray tell, do we do that? As FSU can attest, it's not cut and dried that when you go portal shopping that you end up with much.

Would I leave a good P4 program to get pummeled at UK? Or would I go to a contender in the B12 or MWC? Our QB choices will be someone buried on the depth chart at a bigger school or a kid who has done well at a lesser school that wants to step up in competition. That is, at best, a 50-50 proposition.

OL is probably even more of a gamble.
You have to do something. Other programs do iz they don’t need to be great they need to be average. We don’t even have average right now. And I’d take a guy form lower competition that was good. Most of the trabsfer qbs that have had success have been like that. there are good players at that level. Find them

The best I have seen is the 1977 team. The two 10 win Stoops team would easily beat the top Brooks team w/ Woodson. The Brooks team were mediocre. Snell and Rodriquez would run thru the 2007 teams defense.

Reactions: dailydouble

Not that the citrus bowls aren’t an accomplishment but the accomplishment of that 07 team was even being able to compete at that level. I have posted this before but that was a team with only 56 scholarships to recruit the so-sr classes so no depth and once they lost Raphael Little it knocked off some of the skill position advantage they had to compensate for a thin, undersized and breaking down line. But that was a team largely of 2 stars recruited under restrictions and with the infamous pulldown screen at the end of Nutter for the recruiting room. The win % of the East back then was upper 60’s whereas the stoops era the power had shifted west and east was mid 50’s. Neither had the same circumstances and if both were given the same I would take Brooks to out coach him

We aren’t paying 44 million to fire him. I said it in the game thread. There needs to a be a roster overall on offense. Particularly upfront. Got get a QB to compete with Brock and bring in 4-5 offensive linemen. Minimum. They have to fix the offense. It’s absolutely pathetic
But Stoops has always brought in players. Why would we trust him at this point to FINALLY get the right ones after the last couple of years?

A lot of it isn't even a talent issue. We had the talent to play Georgia close and beat Ole Miss.
If you can do that, you should beat Florida, SC, and Auburn. Maybe Vandy, but they've been surprisingly tough.

Even with Vandy being tough, if Stoops can't reliably beat Vandy every year, he's going to have bad years.

Reactions: ganner918

They lost to miss state after the lsu game I believe. That was a huge letdown after beating lsu. They were a good team. Brooks is 10 times the coach Stoops is.

They lost to miss state after the lsu game I believe. That was a huge letdown after beating lsu. They were a good team. Brooks is 10 times the coach Stoops is.
No they played Florida after lsu team…but if you want to argue Brooks is ten times the coach who won 2 citrus bowls to Brooks best accomplishment js music city bowls….then knock yourself out

Just facts get in the way of those arguments

Reactions: UKdondee
And how, pray tell, do we do that? As FSU can attest, it's not cut and dried that when you go portal shopping that you end up with much.

Would I leave a good P4 program to get pummeled at UK? Or would I go to a contender in the B12 or MWC? Our QB choices will be someone buried on the depth chart at a bigger school or a kid who has done well at a lesser school that wants to step up in competition. That is, at best, a 50-50 proposition.

OL is probably even more of a gamble.
It has not been 50/50 with us on portal QBs. Actually we are more like 20/80. Will Levis had talent but was only 17 - 7 overall. His SEC record was 8 - 8 for the two years he was here. 50% wins is not great but it sure beats other portal QBs. We need to recruit a solid high school QB each year and develop the kids. It is not rocket science. When we go and over pay for a second or third string QB from a winning program, we short our selves by not having enough NIL to surround him with better talent. They are never as good as advertised. It is the old theory of doing the same thing expecting different results.

No they played Florida after lsu team…but if you want to argue Brooks is ten times the coach who won 2 citrus bowls to Brooks best accomplishment js music city bowls….then knock yourself out

I think what the argument for brooks is, from me and seems like others, is that Stoops doesn't get to citrus bowls under the circumstances and schedules of Brooks and if brooks had Stoops circumstances he gets that next step. Brooks was a much more well rounded coach. Stoops can recruit better, or let's be honest ...at least vince can, but Brooks was a legit coach both sides of the ball. And if he had stoops facilities and no recruiting restrictions to start I'm not sure his staff were going to totally close the recruiting gap but would've closed it more than enough combined with his coaching advantage. And Brooks had done it all before at Oregon, the field there is named for him. It's not like we have to guess about him. I mean if you did nothing but put stoops facing Urban Meyer at UF and Petrino when he was really rolling at UL, I don't see him finding 9 regular seasons wins to get to that type of bowl in either citrus season. He's losing to one or both of those. If you're just talking about on paper accomplishments no doubt stoops ranks higher but relative to those paper accomplishments the east was a different animal because florida was different and again, lord help him if he was having to coach around only having 56 scholarship players in his upper three classes....

I think what the argument for brooks is, from me and seems like others, is that Stoops doesn't get to citrus bowls under the circumstances and schedules of Brooks and if brooks had Stoops circumstances he gets that next step. Brooks was a much more well rounded coach. Stoops can recruit better, or let's be honest ...at least vince can, but Brooks was a legit coach both sides of the ball. And if he had stoops facilities and no recruiting restrictions to start I'm not sure his staff were going to totally close the recruiting gap but would've closed it more than enough combined with his coaching advantage. And Brooks had done it all before at Oregon, the field there is named for him. It's not like we have to guess about him. I mean if you did nothing but put stoops facing Urban Meyer at UF and Petrino when he was really rolling at UL, I don't see him finding 9 regular seasons wins to get to that type of bowl in either citrus season. He's losing to one or both of those. If you're just talking about on paper accomplishments no doubt stoops ranks higher but relative to those paper accomplishments the east was a different animal because florida was different and again, lord help him if he was having to coach around only having 56 scholarship players in his upper three classes....
1. It’s impossible to guess how much impact facilities and increased investment makes to a coach….but certainly it can only help. But to be fair…sec money has been way higher across the board for every sec school the last decade as compared to early 2000s

2. But to argue Florida had urban Meyer, Tennessee Philip fulmer Louisville had Petrino etc. .. I don’t see the sec as easier….Uga didn’t have Kirby, we could go back and forth on that argument

3. Brooks gets so much credit for being a better coach as he’d coach up lesser talent…but that isn’t Stoops fault as much as it’s Brooks mistakes…he choose to never recruit Ohio , or go get a Vince marrow. So they both had long runs at Ky….and had opportunities

4. Brooks did some really good stuff at Ky…beating LSU, nice Clemson music city bowl upset the Woodson, Burton Stevie Tamme Little offense and was great group

But he also didn’t blew plenty of games and had some very WTH moments. Got out coached by Tennessee when those were winnable mediocre Tennessee teams, benefited from Krqgthorpe getting UL job, etc

In the end, Stoops not only git to a citrus bowl…but won two of them and UK was ranked like 12 in final poll…something Brooks never came close to that high

Reactions: phunterd

I remember that. After the upset of #1 LSU, the country's eyes were set on Kentucky. Even hosted college game day that next Saturday. The football program took that amazing opportunity and momentum and just shat the bed the rest of that season.

Compare what Brooks had to work with and look at the Sec then vs now and you might see that you are off base. I really don’t care what u think. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and that is fine. But Stoops needs to go. Period.

Compare what Brooks had to work with and look at the Sec then vs now and you might see that you are off base. I really don’t care what u think. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and that is fine. But Stoops needs to go. Period.
Brooks didn’t have the luxury of the transfer portal, which has benefitted Stoops and Kentucky tremendously. He had to basically take all of the kids he recruited through their full term and develop them.

And again.. like I said, injuries hurt that team. We were top 10 in the middle of the season.

I mean if you’re asking who I think has had better talent, it’s Stoops. And why? Because he makes 9 million compared to Brooks made 1 million. Stoops has had every single resource to be successful here. He was blessed with a down SEC East for almost a full decade.

But you’re not gonna convince me for a second Stoops is a better coach than Brooks so you’re wasting your time. Hell Stoops can’t even draw up ONE single pass play. He’s an embarrassment.
Just look at the QB stats over the course of his tenure... pathetic. QB is far and away the most important position in this day and age of football. If you can't coach up a qb and have guys that protect them your defense no matter how good it is gets frustrated and gives up anyway when you can't f'n score.

Reactions: BigBlue1992
Just look at the QB stats over the course of his tenure... pathetic. QB is far and away the most important position in this day and age of football. If you can't coach up a qb and have guys that protect them your defense no matter how good it is gets frustrated and gives up anyway when you can't f'n score.
Exactly. It is pathetic. He tried his best to ruin Levis. Leary was bad. Brock looks terrible but I still believe he could be better than what we’re seeing if he had better coaching. We haven’t developed a QB in his entire time here. I still wonder how Lynn Bowden can even walk after what Stoops put him through.

And like you said it’s frustrating for a defense to do their job but when then other side of the ball can’t do theirs, it’s too overwhelming.

Brooks developed talent.

What he did not have was depth.
Or resources.

Dude if you gave Brooks either of Stoops best teams I can guarantee one thing: he would have beat UTK and we’d have been playing in the Sugar or Cotton Bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT