ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops on QB Room

It's definitely the deepest. The question remains if Vandagriff is the real deal or not.
I think Wimsatt was the insurance policy for that. Beau Allen to a lesser degree. When we brought in Levis, even though he was a backup for the most part, he did have a couple of starts under his belt and more substantial game action. Plus he was just head and shoulders above what we had backing him up. So he was a bit of a gamble in year one and we definitely lacked depth in the room. Leary was a known quantity. He didn't really require an insurance policy other than his injury history being a bit suspect. he was expected to be better than he turned out to be, and lack of depth bit us in the rear. They don't want a repeat of that.

No doubt this is our deepest. A 5* backed up by an elite athlete that started two years in a major conference. Then an extremely seasoned guy presumably behind those two. Rounded out by a highly regarded freshman.

That room alone is a good example of how much stoops and co elevated the talent at uk. It also highlights the unfortunate fact that gran, despite his genius, eventually held us back due to perception (and loyalty to hinshaw).

I guess the real question is how the depth chart really lays out. Obviously bg is 1. Im curious is gw is actually #2 or if they would rotate him with one of the other guys. Obviously he is an elite runner but curious if they are confident enough in his throwing. Guess we will see.

No doubt this is our deepest. A 5* backed up by an elite athlete that started two years in a major conference. Then an extremely seasoned guy presumably behind those two. Rounded out by a highly regarded freshman.

That room alone is a good example of how much stoops and co elevated the talent at uk. It also highlights the unfortunate fact that gran, despite his genius, eventually held us back due to perception (and loyalty to hinshaw).

I guess the real question is how the depth chart really lays out. Obviously bg is 1. Im curious is gw is actually #2 or if they would rotate him with one of the other guys. Obviously he is an elite runner but curious if they are confident enough in his throwing. Guess we will see.

Rumor has it that Wimsatt has Wildcat packages built into the playbook. And Vandagriff is no slouch as a runner either. Could be interesting.

This is the question, just a guess but he is probably somewhere between a healthy Levis and Leary. Until proven otherwise I see him as a marginal upgrade over last season
Hope I see a different guy in BV than what I saw in his limited action at Georgia.
I thought he looked stiff and didn't get the ball out quick enough.
Hope those things have improved because he's not playing behind a Georgia level offensive line at UK.
IMO, you have to be able to improvise to be a successful QB at UK that's why I'm not counting out Wimsatt having a big impact on this season.

Could Wimsatt be considered about on par with Terry Wilson or Stephen Wilson?

I could be way off base here, but my understanding is that he's not as good of a passer as the Wilson/Johnson.......but he's a much better runner.

Last edited:
Poor Steve-O. Gave his entire body to UK and most fans can’t remember his name. He had I think 3 surgeries after his senior season and was still diving for 1st downs.
Probably my favorite player of the stoops era. You can’t teach heart and he had it in droves.

Could Wimsatt be considered about on par with Terry Wilson or Stephen Wilson?

I had not thought of that, but it is very apt.

Terry and Smitty may have had more wiggle, but Wimsatt is a hoss with elite straight line speed.

In the unthinkable event BV goes down, look for Eddie Gran to (perhaps quietly) lean on that bizarre magic from 2019, that allowed LBJ to come w/i 8 yards of breaking Cam Newton’s record for QB rushing yards.

If forced into it, I could see Beau Allen do a little Air Raid imitation alternating with Wimsatt doing a little LBJ imitation.

I doubt we are forced into it, and hope we are not, but I’d rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Terry and Smitty may have had more wiggle

Imo terry had zero wiggle. He definitely had elite straight line speed but was scared to run after his injury. A few times an inside read was called and he literally tip toed to the line. Hes only human so I get it.

I wonder how he would've looked had he not suffered that freak injury. Granted he only played a game and a half or something, but he looked pretty good.

Reactions: STL_Cat
I’m going to admit I’m nervous about starting QB! I have no inside info, but it appears Wimsatt was brought in as insurance after spring ball. I don’t think he comes to UK unless he thinks he can win the starting spot.

Sure, they’ll design some packages for him and maybe those packages were enough to bring him here.

Somehow, I sense that Bush and Stoops are not overly confident with BV. Coen brought him in, and every OC looks for something different.

I’ll be the happiest fan on here if BV looks great after the SC game!

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
What is wild is that Brock will probably attempt more passes in his first game here than he did in his entire three-year career at Georgia, as he attempted twenty-one (21) passes during 2021-2023 seasons.
21 pass attempts in this offense... a stretch.... this will be grind it out efficient offense with a few shots down field a game.

Probably my favorite player of the stoops era. You can’t teach heart and he had it in droves.
Most epic moment of Smitty's career, besides diving for that TD, was when we lined up for the first play of the game against UofL, the camera does a close-up of him and you can see him scan the field and mouth "I love this $h!t" then proceed to torch them for a 75 yard TD pass on the first play.

Most epic moment of Smitty's career, besides diving for that TD, was when we lined up for the first play of the game against UofL, the camera does a close-up of him and you can see him scan the field and mouth "I love this $h!t" then proceed to torch them for a 75 yard TD pass on the first play.
Was "smitty' maxwell smith? sawyer smith? Stephen wilson? or a confused conglameration of the 3?

They attempted 28.3 last year a game
Whole new ballgame with the new OC. Stoops got to 10 wins before when protecting the defense and running a ball control o with big play potential. Only thing missing is proven rb. This defense ON PAPER, should be near elite

Was "smitty' maxwell smith? sawyer smith? Stephen wilson? or a confused conglameration of the 3?
It is an old meme from just prior to your joining the site in 2017.

In the first half of the 2016 Vandy game, someone emotionally posted a plea that "Smith" be sent back to "where he came from." We ended up winning the game, and had no "Smith" on the team in 2016.

It was in obvious reference to the quarterback, Stephen Johnson, but the poster confused two common names, transposing "Smith" for "Johnson."

The meme/joke has run for years.

Imo terry had zero wiggle. He definitely had elite straight line speed but was scared to run after his injury. A few times an inside read was called and he literally tip toed to the line. Hes only human so I get it.

I wonder how he would've looked had he not suffered that freak injury. Granted he only played a game and a half or something, but he looked pretty good.
ZERO wiggle. Comment from The_Hack definitely got my attention. Terry had track star straight line speed but had no shake whatsoever. I never once saw him shake a guy or make him miss.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Yep one of my favorite plays of the stoops era. Love that damn video.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT