ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

24 Dec 2020
Take a look at SENS a CGM system manufacturer ready to affect the diabetes treatment market (Think Descom only longer lasting Monitoring). Recent FDA approval of their product sold in the European market is primed to take off in the states.

Today it has gone from $.64 to $1.00+, biggest movement in the last 6 months for them due to this news. I got in at $.40 cents a while back.

Also, Medicare approved coverage and a few of the bigger private insurance companies have too. They are affiliated with Roche and now Ascensia in the Pharm world.

Good fortune on this one fellows.

SENS moved up to $1.46 today. There is an article on Zaks today about this.

A pending Call Option of $1.00 on 11 Feb 2021. For those of you versed in Options trading....please explain what this means in relation to the stock moving up. I do not trade with Options....so I can't explain it.

Good fortune to you all!

Next stimulus package proposal has just been released. Now certainly it could change before it passes but as of right now it has a big chunk of money going to alternative energy.

Oh, and we’ll be getting $1400 per person......added to our $600 that we just got and we’re at $2000 per person. And a tax credit for kids......$3600 for a child under 6 yrs old......$3000 for a child 17 and under.

Looks like $10,000 in student loan forgiveness.

Minimum wage proposal to $15/hr.......wow, can’t believe I just wrote that.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone participated in/saw the madness that was CCIV today, but it was fascinating. Rumor of official DA with Lucid triggered a massive buy. It turned out to be a rumor, but massive volume hit the stock.

It halted on the way up, halted on the way down. Went from negative at the morning dip to up over 20% in 30 minutes where it hovered for about an hour before it dipped negative again before it rebounded in the green.

There was a massive buy order on the way up which caused the halt, and then there was a massive sell order which created another halt after it triggered stop loss limits.

-4% at 10:15 am to 20+% at 11:15 am to -4% at 1:00 pm to +5% as of 2:00 pm

It'll be interesting to see if the $15/minimum wage gets passed right now with so many small businesses in peril. I have heard rumblings that they might post pone this part of the proposal.

I just watched The China Hustle on Netflix. Have any of you first hand experience investing in Chinese companies? What was the outcome?

I got in on penn at $30.00 when they bought barstool and bout another 5x as many shares at $7...

The upside is still there. They’re going to have tons of revenue streams.

Reactions: jameslee32
SENS moved up to $1.46 today. There is an article on Zaks today about this.

A pending Call Option of $1.00 on 11 Feb 2021. For those of you versed in Options trading....please explain what this means in relation to the stock moving up. I do not trade with Options....so I can't explain it.

Good fortune to you all!
It means if you have bought the 11feb2021 $1.00 call option, you will have the option to buy 100 shares of SENS for $1.00 per share after 11feb2021 close. You would hope SENS is trading above $1.

If you have sold the 11feb2021 call option, you will be obligated to sell 100 shares of SENS at $1.00. Hopefully you bought in much lower than $1. If SENS is trading below $1, the option won't be exercised and you will keep the premium you sold and the stock.

Confused yet?

Reactions: Mayoman
I started swing trading in late fall and did not separate my swing trading results from my long term investments. The year end numbers were good.

Starting with week ending 1/2/21, I have kept separate records for tracking my swing trading. For the first three weeks of 2021, I am averaging more income than my highest weekly salary prior to retirement.

I attribute this to luck, hot market and learning. I have learned stick to my stop/loss and not hold losing stocks.
Also, not to chase the hot stocks. This has reduced my losses on losing stocks and removed me as the bagholder on the hot stocks. The processes I am following appear to work well in the current environment.

Thanks for all the help from the members on this board.

Last edited:
Reactions: jameslee32 and rbs
Yeah. I kept buying as things went south in March and April. Already had multiple holdings that would double and treble for the year.

It was fun. Probably never see it's like again but I'm always a buyer and holder and it seems to be working.

buying and holding (investing) always works.
I shoved all my cash in last march... said if the market ever tanked like it did in 08/09 id shove all my chips in. I built a “corona mutual funds”.

basically bought heavy in all the industries destroyed by Covid.

Shake shack
Darden foods
Royal Caribbean
Marriot
Southwest
Delta
Cedar point
Boeing
And a ton of penn.

a nervous few weeks but I’m wayyyyyy up

Yeah. I kept buying as things went south in March and April. Already had multiple holdings that would double and treble for the year.

It was fun. Probably never see it's like again but I'm always a buyer and holder and it seems to be working.

Following the crazy long bull run and the fed raising rates, I had sold about 20% of my portfolio. I was willing to wait a year or so for a correction......then the pandemic hit. Talk about luck. I jumped back in with the staples.....FAANG, JPM, Disney, etc.

Then I got into the Rocket Mortgage IPO.....sold for a big profit.

Bought Palantir IPO at around $10.....it’s now up about 160%.

Bought in early to the EVs....Nio, Xpeng, Li. After they skyrocketed, I took profits from Li and Xpeng......through it into Nio when it went back down......then it started going up a good amount lately.

Recently I’ve bought into more China stuff (Baba, JD, SE)...and the recovery stocks (LUV, RDS)....and with Biden (TAN, Tesla, etc)

This was a once in a lifetime deal and I’m very thankful.

What industrial stocks do you like?
You didn't ask me but I'll say PLD (started a position today) which is a warehouse REIT that has AMZN, HD and others as clients.

Also picked up more FROG and started a WDAY position.

Still not going whole hog yet. Waiting to see how earning season shakes out and past the inauguration.

This is me. I might pounce on a must have, but I'm holding back moves right now. Although, I expect some sectors will really bounce up well once the stimulus package comes clearer into view.
I was also looking at the S+P chart and the 50 to 200 MAs are spreading.

The avg is well above the 50 and the 50 has been 10%+ of the 200 since Dec.

Expecting at least a slowdown here soon.

What industrial stocks do you like?
I own F, DD, DOW and FCX. Real dogs not long ago.

Today bought a EV truck and bus SPAC, NGA. The merged company is called Lion Electric. They told a great story and it got hit today so I started a position. They might be able to ink a contract with Pepsi in the near future. My first SPAC, IPOE, is up 30% in less than 2 weeks. That's totally nuts but not uncommon these daze!

All but DD and DOW are in my taxable account. I tend to get a little risky in that one. Also been buying PLD for the wife's IRA. Technically it's a REIT but fits here also.

Last edited:
Reactions: Juvellino
I own F, DD, DOW and FCX. Real dogs not long ago.

Today bought a EV truck and bus SPAC, NGA. The merged company is called Lion Electric. They told a great story and it got hit today so I started a position. They might be able to ink a contract with Pepsi in the near future. My first SPAC, IPOE, is up 30% in less than 2 weeks. That's totally nuts but not uncommon these daze!

All but DD and DOW are in my taxable account. I tend to get a little risky in that one. Also been buying PLD for the wife's IRA. Technically it's a REIT but fits here also.

I have been and continue to be heavy into SPAC's. That said, the SPAC investment strategy seems to evolve as more investors have become aware of them. I think NGA has a promising upside, especially if the Biden administration follows thru on their EV school bus initiative. IPOE shot up really well today, all of the IPO series have done well.

Nice work. You doubled and tripled the market returns in three out of your four buckets.

Rare occasion for sure. But I'm also excited about the future. There are a number of investments that are just getting started. Qualcomm for example.......for the year it has yielded a good return (~45% over the year), but the biggest profits are likely to come in the future once 5G gets up and humming.

Sooo, it's not only how much that I gained this last year it's also how I've been able to set up for the long haul......

I thought for so long that you couldn't beat the market but it can be done by your average investor with patience, due diligence, and a little luck.

If I had just invested in QQQ and or an SP index I wouldn't have had this much success.

I'm hesitant to share exactly how I did last year (partly because of superstition and partly I won't be believed) but I want to show it can be done (and I want to brag a little). So... :

Taxable: 88%
Roth: 104%
IRA: 63%
401k: 38%

Edited: I had 1-year return instead of last year. Changed a little.

This is all unrealized of course. I expect to give some of it back at some point.

I rarely sell and I was set up to reap the rewards of the covid dip. I also bought on the way down and the way up.

Like I said earlier, it's been a fun ride.

Last edited:
I thought for so long that you couldn't beat the market but it can be done by your average investor with patience, due diligence, and a little luck.

If I had just invested in QQQ and or an SP index I wouldn't have had this much success.

I'm hesitant to share exactly how I did last year (partly because of superstition and partly I won't be believed) but I want to show it can be done (and I want to brag a little). So... :

Taxable: 92%
Roth: 121%
IRA: 62%
401k: 38%

This is all unrealized of course. I expect to give some of it back at some point.

I rarely sell and I was set up to reap the rewards of the covid dip. I also bought on the way down of that dip and the way up.

Like I said earlier, it's been a fun ride.

Boom! I'd be ecstatic over those numbers.

Reactions: BlueThruAndThru
It's surreal.

I swear if anyone quoted those numbers to me, I'd have a hard time believing it.

I wanted to ask everyone how many different equities everyone owns. I have 118 now. I like to feed the winners when they stumble a little and so far it's been the right strategy.

I too have a lot of companies right now.....which is odd for me. It seemed like every wk during the past year some buy would fly across my field of view.......and I didn't want to sell out of everything else I was in, so I'd buy into the new fancy.....and it would take off.

It probably won't take me too long to get back to a more streamlined portfolio though. Like Southwest airlines. I bought it in late Summer/early Fall at around $30......and it's currently threatening $48. If it breaks into the $50's......or perhaps the $60's.....where it topped out over the last 5 yrs.......I probably will lock in profits and buy something else.

Same for Shell Oil. I bought RDSA in November around $28. Currently at ~$40, if it gets into the $50-60's, I'll probably lock it in.

I didn't quite do as good as Jameslee's 63% above, but it was a good year.....

401k - 18%
Roth - 39%
Rollover - 55%
Taxable - 48%
My return is unrealized gains in one taxable portfolio as of yesterday. Many of the gains in the portfolio are because of playing with house money over the past year and beyond. For example I've let IAC ride after recouping my original investment, then MTCH was spun off and IAC split 3/1.

My only loser right now is NGA given results of the past 24 hours when I bought it.

My 2020 realized gains were much less given tax loss selling in that portfolio, <10%.

My return is unrealized gains in one taxable portfolio as of yesterday. Many of the gains in the portfolio are because of playing with house money over the past year and beyond. For example I've let IAC ride after recouping my original investment, then MTCH was spun off and IAC split 3/1.

My only loser right now is NGA given results of the past 24 hours when I bought it.

My 2020 realized gains were much less given tax loss selling in that portfolio, <10%.

It's pretty killer though. You, me, Bluthru.....all made well over market average.......and I know plenty of those around me who just made market. Must mean we did something well. Couple this with the last decade......since the 2009 crash.......and I've been averaging well over market.

......now we must be prepared for a decent correction.

It's pretty killer though. You, me, Bluthru.....all made well over market average.......and I know plenty of those around me who just made market. Must mean we did something well. Couple this with the last decade......since the 2009 crash.......and I've been averaging well over market.

......now we must be prepared for a decent correction.
Yup. And not to beat a dead horse but also a reminder to new investors. This one taxable TD portfolio is as risky as I get. I have recently opened a Fidelity taxable portfolio that is nowhere near as well funded as of yet. But I am riskier in that one also with small cap, technology and 5G names.

Most of our (mine and my wife's) retirement money is invested in index funds.

What do you guys think about the potential of MOON ETF? Seems like it will go bananas in the next year or so.

Sounds like Cathie Wood (ARK Invest) is gonna have some competition soon.

Good for you. I'm using my IRA for less risky investments these days. My major mistake early last year involved purchasing massive amounts of CONN between Jan-Mar only for the strategy to come under a massive short attack. If not for the correction last Mar-April, I might have just now broke even. The correction actually saved my ass. Great deals were plentiful. In fact, I'm roughly 25% ahead of last year.

Going forward, it's taxable account for more risky investments.

ADVERTISEMENT