ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

After the election was perfect timing for so many cyclicals, industrials and small caps. I play with PXD and BGS mostly. Also got much smaller positions with STKL and INSG. A couple others graduated to mid cap to my surprise.
I love some of your picks, I wouldn’t have found any of those even with GPS!

Most of this a follow up to the Biden win ... cannibas, renewable including solar, EV related including vehicles, battery tech, charging, and rare earth metals, bitcoin, infrastructure, banks,...

Most of this a follow up to the Biden win ... cannibas, renewable including solar, EV related including vehicles, battery tech, charging, and rare earth metals, bitcoin, infrastructure, banks,...
Yes, best to stay calm, pick carefully or do nothing with the volatility ahead possibly for several months. Don’t get caught up in it, early moves into those areas RBS mentions will make money, I have some of those, but offset by tech stocks dropping today like AMZN I couldn’t and won’t let go.

Yes, best to stay calm, pick carefully or do nothing with the volatility ahead possibly for several months. Don’t get caught up in it, early moves into those areas RBS mentions will make money, I have some of those, but offset by tech stocks dropping today like AMZN I couldn’t and won’t let go.

Exactly. Lots more volatility ahead. The market does not like an undivided Congress/POTUS. With Biden, the House, and quite possibly the Senate all controlled by the DNC the market is going to be quite volatile. Couple this with an ongoing pandemic, stimulus packages, and a struggling US and World economies.......ouch. There'll be lots of opportunities to make lots of money.....but keep your eyes to the horizon and don't make rash decisions.

Reactions: lz and rbs
Oil not letting up either.

Reactions: lz
Exactly. Lots more volatility ahead. The market does not like an undivided Congress/POTUS. With Biden, the House, and quite possibly the Senate all controlled by the DNC the market is going to be quite volatile. Couple this with an ongoing pandemic, stimulus packages, and a struggling US and World economies.......ouch. There'll be lots of opportunities to make lots of money.....but keep your eyes to the horizon and don't make rash decisions.
A vaccine is good for the world so I would NOT give up on EEM or developed markets just yet. I'll be buying BABA again below $200 should it ever get there.

The Nasdaq has already gone positive. lol

Last edited:
Chuck Schumer just came out and said that with Georgia won the DNC will do $2000 checks........their bill will be introduced around the 20th after they're sworn in.

Reactions: jameslee32
PLUG just received 1.5 billlion Investment from Asian company to deploy hydrogen economy. PLUG up $9 dollars after market. Buy

Look at a 1 week chart of WKHS, ENPH or DDD just today. 👀

It's crazy.

Bitcoin has had unbelievable returns since November - it's being treated like buying gold used to be treated as backup.

For those that had the foresight and financial ability, I have to imagine that a lot of people have become a lot more wealthy in the last 9 months.

I have several SPAC's that I bought in the 11 to 13 range that I am sitting on right now that are popping all over the place ... I just hope it continues for awhile.

Reactions: KailuaCat
It's crazy.

Bitcoin has had unbelievable returns since November - it's being treated like buying gold used to be treated as backup.

For those that had the foresight and financial ability, I have to imagine that a lot of people have become a lot more wealthy in the last 9 months.

I have several SPAC's that I bought in the 11 to 13 range that I am sitting on right now that are popping all over the place ... I just hope it continues for awhile.
Took a flyer on my first SPAC. It's basically about bringing an online banking company public, Sofi. IPOE is the ticker. Went public today as I was reminded by the Halftime Report. Starting small as I would any new investment.

Took a flyer on my first SPAC. It's basically about bringing an online banking company public, Sofi. IPOE is the ticker. Went public today as I was reminded by the Halftime Report. Starting small as I would any new investment.

Did you get in BEFORE they announced Sofi as the target? It had an incredible spike up today, like 60%, which is way more than normal for the rumor stage. It's very likely to dip a good bit from today's prices. Next big steps in the process include a formal DA and then eventually the merger. You probably still have 3-4 months.

Reactions: jameslee32
Did you get in BEFORE they announced Sofi as the target? It had an incredible spike up today, like 60%, which is way more than normal for the rumor stage. It's very likely to dip a good bit from today's prices. Next big steps in the process include a formal DA and then eventually the merger. You probably still have 3-4 months.
I got in after it was halted and resumed at $17.50. Altimeter and others investing hundreds of millions, got in at $10.

Looking for Stop/Loss advice. I am relatively new to swing trading. I have been fortunate to have 3 stocks surpass 100%. In each case at 100% I have sold 1/2 and planned to let the other half ride with a 85% stop/loss in place. In all 3 cases there was a low end spike on the candle down to exactly my 85% s/l and then the stock continued to rise. I assume the MMs have a process for picking and finding this low hanging fruit at it is essentially an immediate 15% return for them.

Am I correct? Would changing the s/l to 25% alleviate the problem? What is your strategy to for a running stock while guarding some of the gains.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueRaider22
Looking for Stop/Loss advice. I am relatively now to swing trading. I have been fortunate to have 3 stocks surpass 100%. In each case at 100% I have sold 1/2 and planned to let the other half ride with a 85% stop/loss in place. In all 3 cases there was a low end spike on the candle down to exactly my 85% s/l and then the stock continued to rise. I assume the MMs have a process for picking and finding this low hanging fruit at it is essentially an immediate 15% return for them.

Am I correct? Would changing the s/l to 75% alleviate the problem? What is your strategy to for a running stock while guarding some of the gains.

I'll have to defer to others on this. I tend to just keep it simple.........by running a trailing stop loss that varies by the type of stock. For a theoretical example, I would set a trailing stop loss on Microsoft of 10-15%.......it's a fairly stable stock that rarely dips below 10-15%. However, I might set a 20-30% trailing stop loss on Tesla since it's more volatile. If I skim some profit off, it usually doesn't change my stop loss parameters much.

I'll have to defer to others on this. I tend to just keep it simple.........by running a trailing stop loss that varies by the type of stock. For a theoretical example, I would set a trailing stop loss on Microsoft of 10-15%.......it's a fairly stable stock that rarely dips below 10-15%. However, I might set a 20-30% trailing stop loss on Tesla since it's more volatile. If I skim some profit off, it usually doesn't change my stop loss parameters much.
The point I like is identifying a longer term investment vs. speculation. But not sure TSLA is speculative any more since it makes money now.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
The point I like is identifying a longer term investment vs. speculation. But not sure TSLA is speculative any more since it makes money now.

Yeah, you're right. He mentioned swing trading. I just needed 2 stocks to use in reference.....probably would've been better to use something other than TSLA/MSFT.

Excellent point. Trades. not investments. I'll delete my other post.

Although......to play Devil's Advocate......I have used stop-losses on long term investments to my advantage. I had two stop-losses set that I didn't remember that I had......both at 20%.....I must have set them a long time ago when I bought in. They triggered last year when the Covid market crashed. On one of the stocks, I bought right back in at a reduced price........I'm guessing about 10% lower than when the trigger sold me out. I didn't buy back into the other.......used the money for other buys.

Now, granted, this was not planned......this was pure luck.......but I can see some benefit to long term investments. Though I lucked out, I don't use them widescale. I mentioned MSFT earlier. If my MSFT holdings drop in price, I wouldn't want to sell it off.........I'd buy more.

Although......to play Devil's Advocate......I have used stop-losses on long term investments to my advantage. I had two stop-losses set that I didn't remember that I had......both at 20%.....I must have set them a long time ago when I bought in. They triggered last year when the Covid market crashed. On one of the stocks, I bought right back in at a reduced price........I'm guessing about 10% lower than when the trigger sold me out. I didn't buy back into the other.......used the money for other buys.

Now, granted, this was not planned......this was pure luck.......but I can see some benefit to long term investments. Though I lucked out, I don't use them widescale. I mentioned MSFT earlier. If my MSFT holdings drop in price, I wouldn't want to sell it off.........I'd buy more.
I've gotten out too soon more than I can remember. I rarely use them now. But that sometimes happens when selling regardless whether it's a stop loss or not. It's never a bad thing to make money though.

ARK Invest is launching another ETF. This time for space exploration........and will tackle such areas as satellite, alternative energies, 3D printing, etc.

Cathie Woods is killing it. I’m definitely investing in that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT