ADVERTISEMENT

Still stings missing on Osobor

HYTCHYE ISLAND

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 7, 2013
I believe the big guy would’ve taken us to another level. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy with our roster but I’d be lying if I said we wouldn’t be much better with him. I just hope, wish, and pray that Garrison takes that next big leap in production that we are gonna need from him.

I don’t think Osobor has any real intention of coming here. I honestly believe we were on his list to boost his profile
And I think that became clear during his visit
So I don’t think ally tbink it was a miss

His passing & rebounding would’ve been nice. But, he can’t score outside of 3 feet. Spacing could’ve been an issue & Pope’s offense relies heavily on spreading the floor. Not saying I didn’t want him. But, in hindsight, he might not have been the best fit playing next to another non-shooter in AW. And, he’s not worth anything close to $2M.

I think Carr is a great fit at the 4. He’s a good rebounder & perimeter shooter. But, he’s also a physical player who can finish around the basket. And, he’ll be a really good secondary rim protector. He’ll be good enough to make ppl forget about Osobor, IMO.

His passing & rebounding would’ve been nice. But, he can’t score outside of 3 feet. Spacing could’ve been an issue & Pope’s offense relies heavily on spreading the floor. Not saying I didn’t want him. But, in hindsight, he might not have been the best fit playing next to another non-shooter in AW. And, he’s not worth anything close to $2M.

I think Carr is a great fit at the 4. He’s a good rebounder & perimeter shooter. But, he’s also a physical player who can finish around the basket. And, he’ll be a really good secondary rim protector. He’ll be good enough to make ppl forget about Osobor, IMO.
Agree 100%, Carr fits Pope’s offense much better. He could easily become our version of Grant Nelson.

I believe the big guy would’ve taken us to another level. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy with our roster but I’d be lying if I said we wouldn’t be much better with him. I just hope, wish, and pray that Garrison takes that next big leap in production that we are gonna need from him.
We didn’t miss on him, he missed on us.

I was having trouble seeing osobor playing the 4. Carr seems to be a better fit.

He would have been good but a money to production ratio Garrison is better and afforded us the opportunity to land Robinson, which we did.

Definitely. I just wonder how everything truly went down because it was extremely odd to have him and his parents on campus only to have someone commit at his position while they’re on the visit.
What went down was his agent got word his old coach got him a 2 million dollar deal somehow and the coaching staff was like hell nah. They were like well we have a McDonalds AA ready to commit with a year experience in the Big 12 and he only costs like 25% of that so bye.

What went down was his agent got word his old coach got him a 2 million dollar deal somehow and the coaching staff was like hell nah. They were like well we have a McDonalds AA ready to commit with a year experience in the Big 12 and he only costs like 25% of that so bye.

Sounds right. I’ve never heard of a school taking a
commitment from a position you’ve got someone on an active visit from. I like it. $2 million was ridiculous. Feels like the former guy went into these situations without a solid backup option last bunch of seasons and we’d end up a position or two short.

Oso wanted 2 mill and he's basically a 3 foot in shot guy who wanted to play the 4/pf spot. Oso is 6-8 250 I'd much rather have Carr who is 6-11 235 and and a great pick and pop 3 point shooter think Scott Padgett but a couple inches taller. Almoror is a great backup at 6-7 225 with his shooting. Plus down low we got a blossoming 6-11 250 former McDonald's aa ready to break out in Garrison and 6-10 270 monster defender in Williams who is a 3x dpoy in his conference. I think Pope got exactly what he wanted and needed to fit this roster this year.

Smith was a bigger miss out of the guys we had a real shot with. Osobor was overrated imo, especially if that asking price is true.

He's a good player, just not a make or break in any way.

Smith was not a miss. He was coming but had to do with his transcript.

Carr starting the position that Osobor would have played? So Alomor a better fit on this team since he shoots the three a ton better and moves better off the ball? Plus Alomor content to compete for playing time instead of being guaranteed anything. Also, Alomor a better defensive player and team player?

Osobor really good taking it to the rim and scoring. Also a little bigger. But when things are broken down we may have gotten the better fit for this team.

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
Kristin Cavallari Drama GIF

Smith was not a miss. He was coming but had to do with his transcript.
And Osobor would be here if we'd over payed for him too.

Smith wanted to be here and we couldn't make it happen.

Still a miss regardless, even if it's understandable.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I don’t believe we “missed” on him . I believe it was predetermined he was going to join his former coach at Washington State. They scheduled that visit last so they could get their best NIL offer and allow Washington State to match it. I think CMP sensed this and when he wouldn’t commit on his visit decided that ship had sailed and taking Garrison instead was a no-brainer.

I do wish we could have gotten the Smith kid but he wasn’t a “miss” either. He would have been here if his transcripts and credits were transferable to UK .

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
I don’t believe we “missed” on him . I believe it was predetermined he was going to join his former coach at Washington State. They scheduled that visit last so they could get their best NIL offer and allow Washington State to match it. I think CMP sensed this and when he wouldn’t commit on his visit decided that ship had sailed and taking Garrison instead was a no-brainer.

I do wish we could have gotten the Smith kid but he wasn’t a “miss” either. He would have been here if his transcripts and credits were transferable to UK .
He went to the Washington Huskies. There's a Washington State Cougars. So just pointing that out to you.

Reactions: chroix and yoshukai
Sounds right. I’ve never heard of a school taking a
commitment from a position you’ve got someone on an active visit from. I like it. $2 million was ridiculous. Feels like the former guy went into these situations without a solid backup option last bunch of seasons and we’d end up a position or two short.
Me either but obviously something like that went down, either that or they got the feeling he was using us to up his value and took the dude who wanted to be here. Garrison may turn out to be a better player, as he is still developing.

Reactions: chroix
Just gonna add that I don’t think he’s worth the 2mil that he apparently got. That said, I think many people here are severely underestimating this kid. IMO I think he’s gonna be a helluva force albeit on a Washington team that no one gives 2 shits about. 😂

Just gonna add that I don’t think he’s worth the 2mil that he apparently got. That said, I think many people here are severely underestimating this kid. IMO I think he’s gonna be a helluva force albeit on a Washington team that no one gives 2 shits about. 😂
Oh I have no doubt he’s going to be great
I would’ve liked to have him
He’s gonna be the big frog in a small pond….
Here he wouldn’t have been

I have been trying to explain to y'all that no-longer-being-first-fiddle is where this team is now. If we could have paid Osobor what he was asking, we could have had him. It's that simple. Recruiting has become far less complicated now that all the money is over the table. You guys complicate it still because you refuse to come to the grips with where we actually are as a program. We're bottom half in the conference in facilities. The name no longer means anything to these kids when they can go to dang Texas Tech and make more money!

He’s going to be a beast this year no matter what some want to say. The guy will probably average 20-10 this year. Now I love who we have, and we absolutely did the right thing by not paying him anything near what he wanted. Still for a fair price he would’ve been great here.

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND
He’s going to be a beast this year no matter what some want to say. The guy will probably average 20-10 this year. Now I love who we have, and we absolutely did the right thing by not paying him anything near what he wanted. Still for a fair price he would’ve been great here.
Yeah, I mean he's a good player. But 2M good? Nah. The face Washington of all places shelled that out is ridiculous. They aren't going to do squat most of the year. That's one of the most expensive "look at us" kinda situations I've seen in awhile.

Reactions: KFuqua and JASUN74
Yeah, I mean he's a good player. But 2M good? Nah. The face Washington of all places shelled that out is ridiculous. They aren't going to do squat most of the year. That's one of the most expensive "look at us" kinda situations I've seen in awhile.
Definitely agree. You would think his family would want him to play somewhere where he could’ve been seen more and have a bigger stage. Kids can make it anywhere nowadays so maybe he surprises everyone. I honestly think we hear about him though out the season though. We’ll see.

I don’t think Osobor has any real intention of coming here. I honestly believe we were on his list to boost his profile
And I think that became clear during his visit
So I don’t think ally tbink it was a miss
Agree, bko ... 100%,

Reactions: KFuqua
I really wanted him bad but no way was he worth 2 million bucks.

Yeah, that number was inflated. No way he got 2 million. Either way, would have loved to have the kid, but you don't headline your class in the portal with a glorified PF. Not money wise, anyway. We probably offered the dude somewhere around 500 or 600k. Not good enough? Okay, good luck at Washington, and the NIT.

Reactions: chroix
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT