ADVERTISEMENT

Stepback shot

Sep 4, 2007
While watching the highlights of the "Practice" Video, I was most impressed with Wagner's stepback shot. Have I not been paying attention, or has that shot not been utilized enough by UK guards? With the ball in the right hands, it's hard to keep that shot contained. Drive; step back; defender on his heels; swish?

Reactions: Fox2monk and ORCAT
The step-back shot did not exist when I played ball. It would have not been deemed fundamentally sound. Same goes for the euro step and the running floater in the lane.

Now, they are all shots worth having in the repertoire, of course.

While watching the highlights of the "Practice" Video, I was most impressed with Wagner's stepback shot. Have I not been paying attention, or has that shot not been utilized enough by UK guards? With the ball in the right hands, it's hard to keep that shot contained. Drive; step back; defender on his heels; swish?
Yep and he has that shot in the bag, he’s been using that since I’ve seen his 8th grade videos.

I hate it just because it’s a travel

The way it's currently often used it is 100% a travel. If they do the jump stop, then it's allowable under the modern rules.

Whether or not a jump stop should be a travel is another subject. Currently it's allowed

Seems Reeves has added that shot to his arsenal as well. I can already see SEC officials calling a walk on about 50% of those step backs tho, just because it’s UK, ya know? Lol
the step back and his runner are as money as his 3 ball. his step back is quick and long midrange. they not calling that.

Reactions: UKAlum88
Not sure I recall ever seeing a step back called a travel. The pump fake drive however gets called often especially if executed to perfection.
Check out this video. Although it is for clarification in the NBA, I thought it was helpful to understand traveling calls through the eyes of NBA refs.

Reactions: G-PIP
Not sure I recall ever seeing a step back called a travel. The pump fake drive however gets called often especially if executed to perfection.
Reeves did a plethora of step backs last season and I don’t recall any being called a travel. I don’t see why DJ and Rob would be called on em this season. Yeah that pump fake drive is some BS though.

I hate it just because it’s a travel
Yep, and crossover dribbles are carrying the ball, and Eurosteps are traveling. The officials allowing these are partially the reason that people think that today's players are so much more athletic than yesterday's players. Over the years, they have just morphed into legal plays. If Dirk Minnefield or The Blur had been able to do some of these, they would have looked every bit as athletic as today's best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT