ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2023 Recruiting

I am good friends with one of the coaches of one of our 4* recruits. He told me the kid is a great kid but doesn’t like contact. Said he won’t last long at UK and will probably be at 4 or 5 schools before his college career is over as everyone thinks they will be able to get him to play to his potential. Said the UK coaches know the issue, were there for several games this year. Has an NFL body, great speed…all the tools, looks all world in shorts…just timid.

++
I am good friends with one of the coaches of one of our 4* recruits. He told me the kid is a great kid but doesn’t like contact. Said he won’t last long at UK and will probably be at 4 or 5 schools before his college career is over as everyone thinks they will be able to get him to play to his potential. Said the UK coaches know the issue, were there for several games this year. Has an NFL body, great speed…all the tools, looks all world in shorts…just timid.
Recuit or committed player? Sounds like Beckwith but I assume you mean a new recruit

Could be true but , I myself said Craig Yeast would never last at UK . Watched almost every one of his high school games and he would come off the field “injured “ 3 or 4 times each game . It was unbelievable how he turned out to anyone that watched him as a youngster. Sometimes kids fool you .

So I’m told we should expect some good news Friday. Thats all I got.

Sounds good to me. Your source has thus far proven to be one of the most accurate "insiders" in the history of UK sports insiders. So you can bet I'll be keeping a close eye on this place all day Friday.

Reactions: yoshukai
If true, really hate to see that. Maybe the same coach who has been talking with Justin Rogers can convince Valentine to stick around for another season. I think both Valentine and Rogers can improve their draft status by playing at UK another year.

But if Rogers were to go, Josaih Hayes or Deone Walker would slide into that starting role. The situation at CB is not quite that solid. If Valentine goes, Stoops would almost certainly sign a transfer CB. As I suggested earlier, I really like JQ Hardaway with his multiple years of eligibility. But there are other possibilities.
So I found out a little more on the Rogers situation. It was in fact coach Stew that talked with him and pointing out that by leaving this year he possibly could go around the 7th round while if he came back with a great work ethic he has a real shot at getting into the 3rd or 4th . He went over the pros and cons of what that meant .
The thing that was interesting to me was , Stew used freshman Deon Walker as an example of what kind of attitude he needs to have . I was told that Walker told Stewart he would stay at UK as long he was going to be “pushed” by the coaching staff.

We can strike Rico Walker off our list . Committed to Maryland.
Hate to lose this prospect! Really thought he was a very intriguing prospect at a position that almost overnight has become pretty thin. Was really hoping we could steal this guy. Oddly, we get a couple of surprise visitors this past weekend and the CB recommits to Utah and we lose this kid to Maryland---a middle of the road Big 10 school. Not ideal.

Hate to lose this prospect! Really thought he was a very intriguing prospect at a position that almost overnight has become pretty thin. Was really hoping we could steal this guy. Oddly, we get a couple of surprise visitors this past weekend and the CB recommits to Utah and we lose this kid to Maryland---a middle of the road Big 10 school. Not ideal.
Both of them had long relationships with those schools and UK came in late. Walker was projected to Maryland b4 UK offered. Hard to come in late when they have relationships already built

Could be true but , I myself said Craig Yeast would never last at UK . Watched almost every one of his high school games and he would come off the field “injured “ 3 or 4 times each game . It was unbelievable how he turned out to anyone that watched him as a youngster. Sometimes kids fool you .

Ftiend played HS ball with a kid that got open and was tall, decent speed for a WR. ALWAYS fell after the catch. Never kept his feet. Got a big 10 scholly and was a different kid altogether in college. You just never know

Last edited:
Reactions: yoshukai
Rico Walker committed to MD last night. This makes Asa Newsom a greater UK recruiting priority and puts more pressure on Stoops to get edge LBs out of the portal.

With regard to the portal, transfers who want to enroll at their new school in January need to decide soon. But Stoops can take transfers until next August.

There is also a bit of a spotlight on JJ Weaver, who went through senior day ceremonies last month but still has eligibility remaining if he chooses to come back and use it in 2023.

Rico Walker committed to MD last night. This makes Asa Newsom a greater UK recruiting priority and puts more pressure on Stoops to get edge LBs out of the portal.

With regard to the portal, transfers who want to enroll at their new school in January need to decide soon. But Stoops can take transfers until next August.

There is also a bit of a spotlight on JJ Weaver, who went through senior day ceremonies last month but still has eligibility remaining if he chooses to come back and use it in 2023.

Need to get NIL together for JJ

Friends in Boyle County still say that all Jacob Tamme ever did was catch the ball and fall down in the end zone!

I watched his film with a friend of mine back then, and it reminded me of my friend so much I laughed out loud, BUT I never thought Jacob would last like he did in the NFL. Coach O told me he would, but I just couldn't see it

I think there might be 2 or 3 big news items for UK football today

Dead period starts midnight Sunday, for HS and portal recruiting

Reactions: bballcat4
I'm sure the biggest factors to bring in transfers or recruits are: NIL, playing time / competition, scheme/fit, success at making pro's from that position.
But I think a 2nd tier factor would be the location. Lexington is a nice attractive small city, and does not have the unbearable heat & humidity of the south, nor the unbearable cold of the north. And football players practice a lot in the summer (heat), and play the end of their season when it is cold in the north.

Brohm will definitely put much more emphasis on the trenches over there than Satt ever did
Lackford put in FC and told JR why Spencer was going to U6 why satt was still there. I'm sure you are correct that Brohm will make it more of an emphasis. Satt actually had them some good OL commits line up if they stay committed

Lackford put in FC and told JR why Spencer was going to U6 why satt was still there. I'm sure you are correct that Brohm will make it more of an emphasis. Satt actually had them some good OL commits line up if they stay committed
I’ve just seen him say games won in the trenches in these interviews he’s been doing. Satterfield seemed like he thought he could scheme around a LOS disadvantage which we showed him he couldn’t with us lol

Reactions: Girthang
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT