ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2023 Recruiting

So Kentucky is ranked 45th in recruiting heading into November. That uh, ain’t good…why isn’t this getting more talk in the media? I seem to be one of the very few that’s concerned about it. You can say what you want about developing diamonds in the rough, but at the end of the day really good players matter, look at Barion Brown and Dane Key. They’re difference makers. With the East on an upswing and virtually all the teams recruiting well (along with Louisville) things have to get improved drastically in recruiting or this will get ugly quickly. 45th ain’t going to cut it. Not even close. That’s embarrassing man.
Im not quite as panicked about as you seem to be (yet) . However it is concerning. It’s one of those things that the more it’s talked about the bigger it can become. I’m hoping the recruits we have committed don’t get “cold feet “ because of the lack of enthusiasm about the class .

So Kentucky is ranked 45th in recruiting heading into November. That uh, ain’t good…why isn’t this getting more talk in the media? I seem to be one of the very few that’s concerned about it. You can say what you want about developing diamonds in the rough, but at the end of the day really good players matter, look at Barion Brown and Dane Key. They’re difference makers. With the East on an upswing and virtually all the teams recruiting well (along with Louisville) things have to get improved drastically in recruiting or this will get ugly quickly. 45th ain’t going to cut it. Not even close. That’s embarrassing man.
Agreed but not as big a concern now than pre-portal IF they can successfully bring in quality transfers. But make no mistake, UK needs a major influx of talent for '23. A lot will be lost off this team at year's end.

Reactions: bballcat4
Yup. Many fans keep head in sand and refuse to acknowledge this fact.
I have not seen anyone argue that Stoops does not need great classes and great players. But I have seen some people argue that Stoops and his coaches know upside when they see it, regardless of what others see or don't see in Kentucky's players. To me, it looks like Stoops has proven his scouting chops. I keep going back to Fortner coming into Lexington as a low 3 star and now being the starting C for an NFL team. Josh Allen starts for the same NFL team. Allen was headed to Monmouth College before Stoops found him. We always want better classes because that only makes sense. But I don't think acknowledging Stoops' scouting skills has anything to do with sticking one's head in the sand. Stoops is doing his best, and he has saved our football program. I have a lot of respect for that. If our fans think Stoops knows talent when he sees it, I am good with that.

This thread is my go to source for Kentucky football recruiting. I check it out almost every day. I don't post much, but the back and forth on the thread is really good. Thanks to everyone.

I seem to be one of the very few that’s concerned about it.
I agree that recruiting is the foundation for success, and improved recruiting is reason Stoops/Marrow have lead UK to football success that many football people did not think was possible. I also agree with you that we'll have to continue with recruiting success to get to the top.

But, the portal is a game changer that doesn't get calculated in rankings. Our starting QB (who is projected to go in 1st round) was NEVER included in any of our recruiting rankings. Same thing can be said about WR, last year's LT, and this year's CB and LB.

I think we bring in 3 starters next year that come from the portal. (QB will be one of them.) What would this year's class ranking be if you added 3 more immediate starters? This is the good news. However, we cannot stick our head in the sand regarding the bad news, which is ... UK was late to get rolling with NIL. I've said all along UK could afford one lower class as long as they figure out how to leverage NIL and fill some important holes through the portal.

BTW - Many football people are predicting NIL $ to slow down for hs recruits, but to intensify with transfers because hs players are a gamble while transfers are a proven player. How much $ do you think will be offered to some our top freshmen to transfer??? I heard one football insider this weekend predict that many top underclassmen will enter the portal this year just to evaluate their financial worth.

UK will never be at top of NIL schools. But, I do think Stoops builds a culture that player want to be part of.

Reactions: K_TIME
Good read on Ty Bryant

I'm excited about him. He's having a great senior season right now and if he didn't reclassify to 2023, we would've missed out on him because we weren't going to take him in the 2022 class

It’s a transfer/portal game now… Not concerned about high school recruiting
Eighteen of UK's current starters and almost all of our key reserves were recruited by Stoops' staff. The game is still based on building and sustaining the roster primarily by recruiting the best athletes you can and then supplementing opportunistically with transfers to fill remaining needs.

Here are some prospects that still appear to have the attention of UK's coaching staff. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being a miniscule chance and 10 being a sure thing, I will offer my guess at the chance each player ends up at UK. This is just for fun, since I don't know what these players will decide and neither does anyone else here.

Dimetrius Bell, WR, Nashville, TN. Bell decommitted from MI St on August 23 and recently visited UK. He reportedly holds at least 9 SEC offers. If you buy into the narrative that Stoops wants to take one more WR in this class, then Bell may be the most likely candidate based on what we know now. (My guess- 4)

Karmello English, WR, Phenix City, AL. English is a former Auburn commit who decommitted on Sept. 14. Since then, his recruitment has been very quiet, creating some speculation that there could be academic problems. I don't know if there is truth to those rumors. At one time, Englsh was considered a heavily recruited receiver. He visited UK several months ago and was believed at the time to have UK as a finalist. I have not seen any recent evidence that UK is still recruiting him. (My guess- 2)

Kendrick Gilbert, DL, Indianapolis, IN. Gilbert committed to Purdue on August 28. Prior to that, UK and LSU were thought to be recruiting him hard. Gilbert visited UK again this month, but it is anyone's guess whether he is seriously considering a flip. Apparently, UK's coaches are still very interested. Gilbert reportedly holds ten B10 offers and five SEC offers. He has been a UK recruiting priority for a long time. (My guess- 3)

Devin Hyatt, WR, Bradenton, FL. Hyatt is a coveted prospect with at least 9 SEC offers. He has a visit scheduled to UK next month, and it will be interesting to see whether he actually makes it to Lexington. His big brother is a star receiver at TN, and TN has to be considered the heavy favorite right now if they want him. (My guess- 2)

Ja'Keem Jackson, DB, Kissimmee, FL. Jackson is thought to hold offers from 11 SEC schools. He verbally committed to FL on July 28, before UK beat FL in Gainesville. Jackson recently visited UK, so we know there is still mutual interest. Jackson's big brother is a member of UK's track team. If you put much stock in player ratings, Jackson has a higher rating than any current UK commitment. His addition would arguably give UK its finest DB class in the long history of our football program. (My guess- 5)

Branden Palmer, LB, Cornelius, NC. UK is reportedly Palmer's only current SEC offer, but he is intriguing because he is a long, athletic edge LB. It has been reported that UK and WV may be his favorites, and that Brad White is recruiting him. If he actually visits Lexington, then this could get more interesting. (My guess- 2)

Marcellius Pulliam, LB, Tyrone, GA. Pulliam holds at least 4 SEC offers. He has been an interior LB at Sandy Creek hs. Pulliam runs the 100m dash for Sandy Creek's track team, which makes him a very interesting LB prospect at his size. Auburn may be the favorite to sign him. Pulliam unofficially visited UK in June. From time to time, there have been rumors that Pulliam might come back and visit UK officially this fall. If that actually happens, then my estimation of UK's chances will increase. (My guess- 3)

William Spencer, OL, New Albany, IN. Spencer is a Louisville native who formerly played at Male hs. He reportedly holds at least 3 SEC offers. Last month, Steve Wiltfong predicted that Spencer will sign with UK. Wiltfong is usually right. (My guess- 7)

Jamarion Wilcox, RB, Douglasville, GA. Wilcox is thought to hold offers from 3 SEC schools plus Cincinnati and Clemson. He recently visited UK, so we know Coach Stoops is still trying to add to UK's RB roster. Wilcox is having a successful senior season at South Paulding hs and his recruitment has blown up a bit. (My guess- 4)
Some updates.

UK is the strong favorite to sign former ND DT Jacob Lacey out of the transfer portal. Lacey recently visited Lexington and is planning a return visit. If he goes anywhere besides UK, it would be a surprise.

WR prospect Dimetrius Bell, a close friend of current UK receiver Barion Brown, is now down to UK, Ole Miss, GA, and Bama. I have not heard a timeframe when he plans to announce, but I don't think it is very likely to happen before Thanksgiving.

Since my last post on the subject, I have now seen some recent evidence that UK's coaches are still recruiting WR Karmello English who recently decommitted from Auburn. From what little I know, I doubt English will announce anything in the next several weeks.

I believe the chances of Ja'Keem Jackson decommitting from FL are increasing, but I am not totally sure UK would be his destination if it happens. UK's chances to flip him are good, but several other SEC schools including TN and Auburn are also chasing Jackson. If Jackson does flip to UK, he could wind up being the best football player in our recruiting class.

UK LB commit Grant Godfrey recently said that his commitment to UK is firm. I believe Godfrey is underrated.

UK RB commit Khalifa Keith made an unofficial visit to SCar last weekend. I haven't heard or read anything about how it went. It has also been reported that Keith holds a new verbal offer from TN, but reports that Keith recently visited Knoxville appear to be untrue.

It is now being said through the industry grapevine that UK's chances of flipping Kendrick Gilbert away from Purdue may depend on a hypothetical scenario where Scott Satterfield is fired by UL, Purdue coach Jeff Brohm gets hired by UL, and Gilbert then decommits from Purdue. If there is any truth to it, that could explain why Gilbert recently visited Lexington for the second time. Meanwhile, Satterfied is believed to be in serious trouble in Louisville, where the new AD Josh Heird may want to make a change and hire his own guy.

UK recently got a PFO commitment from P Carter Schwartz from Trinity hs in Louisville.

Recruiting guru Steve Wiltfong recently predicted LB/RB prospect Arion Carter will flip from Memphis to Bama. During the summer, Carter was briefly thought to have an interest in UK.

Drove me crazy when people said don’t worry about NIL because our ‘22 class was good. The 2023 class was going to be the first class where NIL was a part of most of their recruiting cycle and this class was going to act as our first data point of how we’d recruit with NIL. So far not good.

Reactions: THE_OAK and K_TIME
Some updates.

UK is the strong favorite to sign former ND DT Jacob Lacey out of the transfer portal. Lacey recently visited Lexington and is planning a return visit. If he goes anywhere besides UK, it would be a surprise.

WR prospect Dimetrius Bell, a close friend of current UK receiver Barion Brown, is now down to UK, Ole Miss, GA, and Bama. I have not heard a timeframe when he plans to announce, but I don't think it is very likely to happen before Thanksgiving.

Since my last post on the subject, I have now seen some recent evidence that UK's coaches are still recruiting WR Karmello English who recently decommitted from Auburn. From what little I know, I doubt English will announce anything in the next several weeks.

I believe the chances of Ja'Keem Jackson decommitting from FL are increasing, but I am not totally sure UK would be his destination if it happens. UK's chances to flip him are good, but several other SEC schools including TN and Auburn are also chasing Jackson. If Jackson does flip to UK, he could wind up being the best football player in our recruiting class.

UK LB commit Grant Godfrey recently said that his commitment to UK is firm. I believe Godfrey is underrated.

UK RB commit Khalifa Keith made an unofficial visit to SCar last weekend. I haven't heard or read anything about how it went. It has also been reported that Keith holds a new verbal offer from TN, but reports that Keith recently visited Knoxville appear to be untrue.

It is now being said through the industry grapevine that UK's chances of flipping Kendrick Gilbert away from Purdue may depend on a hypothetical scenario where Scott Satterfield is fired by UL, Purdue coach Jeff Brohm gets hired by UL, and Gilbert then decommits from Purdue. If there is any truth to it, that could explain why Gilbert recently visited Lexington for the second time. Meanwhile, Satterfied is believed to be in serious trouble in Louisville, where the new AD Josh Heird may want to make a change and hire his own guy.

UK recently got a PFO commitment from P Carter Schwartz from Trinity hs in Louisville.

Recruiting guru Steve Wiltfong recently predicted LB/RB prospect Arion Carter will flip from Memphis to Bama. During the summer, Carter was briefly thought to have an interest in UK.
Great Post. JRow interviewed Keith and I thought he said he had been to Knoxville for the Florida game and that their coaches were going to go see him. The next week they offered. 247 has him listed as a visitor for the Bama game also

All due respect, I think we have to move beyond this way of thinking. Chris Rodriguez, Will Levis, Jamin Davis, Luke Fortner, Josh Allen, Bennie Snell, and Bunchy Stallings are/were All American or All SEC type players. although not 4 or 5 star recruits. I would not trade Deandre Square for any other SEC LB. Conversely, we have some 4 stars sitting on our bench, and some of them aren't even in the playing rotations. Maybe they will be, but you can't measure work ethic and football IQ with stars. To be clear, I am not suggesting that I don't want 4 and 5 star signings. I do. But, by now, we know that our coaching staff's evaluation of prospects is more important than stars. Almost all of Stoops' recruiting classes have turned out to be underrated from a class rankings standpoint, and that explains a lot of what Stoops has been able to accomplish here.
Blue chip ratio matters. A lot.

Im not quite as panicked about as you seem to be (yet) . However it is concerning. It’s one of those things that the more it’s talked about the bigger it can become. I’m hoping the recruits we have committed don’t get “cold feet “ because of the lack of enthusiasm about the class .
No way to say that after the historic 2022 class, really the first recruiting class that Kentucky has ever done over 50 percent blue chip, that this 2023 class hasn't been a complete disappointment and a failure to keep the momentum you had. Not enough 4 and 5 star targets.

No way to say that after the historic 2022 class, really the first recruiting class that Kentucky has ever done over 50 percent blue chip, that this 2023 class hasn't been a complete disappointment and a failure to keep the momentum you had. Not enough 4 and 5 star targets.
No way to say what?

Cats sitting on the #47 ranked class nationally and #13 out of 14 in the SEC with 5 weeks until Signing Day. Good luck moving up the ladder in the SEC with classes like this.

Player wise, need the best QB in the country and all the top OL can get or nothing else matters. Unless you are content staying middle of the pack.

At the very least, 50 percent blue chip ratio should be the goal. May not quite hit it every year, but it HAS to be the goal. This 20 and 30 percent stuff ain't gonna get but maybe 9 wins.
It absolutely does not matter what we say the goal ought to be for 4 and 5 stars. You have, at most, 25 scholarships to offer in each class. Are you going to turn away Chris Rodriguez, Bennie Snell, Juice Johnson, Luke Fortner, DeAndre Square, Josh Allen, and Quinton Bohanna? No. You take the best players you can get, and the litmus test is always going to be the evaluations by our coaching staff. After all, that is exactly how our football program has been built up from 2-10 to winning bowl games. Abstract declarations about what our classes "ought to be" miss the simple fact that our coaches sign the best players they can sign, with the most potential for succeeding in the conference over a period of years ahead. If they could sign better players, they would. But at the end of the day, you can't force a kid to sign. You make your evaluations, take the best players you can get, and develop them.

Currently, my own gripe is that defensive players are being developed better than offensive players, and my eyes tell me this is due to excessive OC turnover and regression of our OL.

Player wise, need the best QB in the country and all the top OL can get or nothing else matters. Unless you are content staying middle of the pack.
There is an element of truth to your comment, although you are exaggerating. Contrary to popular belief and declaration on days after suboptimal performances, we already have more than enough talent on our team. Granted, we will need a new QB and some OL talent from the portal in 2023. We do not have to sign "the best QB in the country". Everything starts upfront, and that's where the fix needs to begin. But I strongly believe our primary offensive problem is excessive turnover of our OCs.

And please, god, send us a proven special teams coach in 2023.

Earth to Stoops/VM: Hit the portal....hard. You need about 40 players.
We need about 5-6 more commitments from hs talent and about 5 transfers from the portal. And a proven OL coach. And a proven special teams coach. One of the next HS commitments needs to be Jamarion Wilcox, and Stoops needs to hold onto Khalifa Keith. We already have reason to believe Jacob Lacey is coming to UK. The other inbound transfers need to be a QB, a couple of OLs, and an athletic edge rusher. And if Stoops misses on Wilcox or Keith, we will need another RB to transfer in.

Last edited:
There is an element of truth to your comment, although you are exaggerating. Contrary to popular belief and declaration on days after suboptimal performances, we already have more than enough talent on our team. Granted, we will need a new QB and some OL talent from the portal in 2023. We do not have to sign "the best QB in the country". Everything starts upfront, and that's where the fix needs to begin. But I strongly believe our primary offensive problem is excessive turnover of our OCs.

Best QB in country means one that not only has the arm and athletic ability but the QB smarts also to go with it. If can't win the LOS on both sides nothing else matters. Having to physically build up and coach up so much takes time so need some ready made to always go with them to cover recruiting misses.

Best QB in country means one that not only has the arm and athletic ability but the QB smarts also to go with it.

No. Respectfully, best QB in the country means best QB in the country. But if you think we need an intelligent QB with athletic ability, I am with you there (but you are describing Destin Wade). I think that description still leaves something out. A successful SEC QB has to be able to deliver the football into small windows on time. Presnap reads and great vision of the field are essential. That requires more than intelligence and athleticism. But I still think Levis has regressed because of having two OCs and a change of the offense in two years. Some QBs could handle that, but Levis hasn't (even though he is intelligent). Next year's QB will need to be a good fit with the offense, whatever the case may be by then. That's a must.

If can't win the LOS on both sides nothing else matters.

Damn right. I am 100% with you there. Stoops' best teams have been his most physical and physically formidable teams. Somehow he has to get back to that narrative.

And the loss of John Schlarman

Please go get Trey Cornist from Winton Woods. We dropped the ball on Calhoun and never were going to get Jermaine Matthews once he got an offer from OSU. Cornist is a big powerful fast back who fits our recent mold of backs. Plus we need to get our foot back into the deep talent pool Winton Woods has in their younger classes.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatPatrick13
No. Respectfully, best QB in the country means best QB in the country. But if you think we need an intelligent QB with athletic ability, I am with you there (but you are describing Destin Wade). I think that description still leaves something out. A successful SEC QB has to be able to deliver the football into small windows on time. Presnap reads and great vision of the field are essential. That requires more than intelligence and athleticism. But I still think Levis has regressed because of having two OCs and a change of the offense in two years. Some QBs could handle that, but Levis hasn't (even though he is intelligent). Next year's QB will need to be a good fit with the offense, whatever the case may be by then. That's a must.

Damn right. I am 100% with you there. Stoops' best teams have been his most physical and physically formidable teams. Somehow he has to get back to that narrative.
Everybody says we have a sure fire first rounder that is at least top three QB's in the country. Can't afford anything less than the best if we can't get it done with Levis.

Please go get Trey Cornist from Winton Woods. We dropped the ball on Calhoun and never were going to get Jermaine Matthews once he got an offer from OSU. Cornist is a big powerful fast back who fits our recent mold of backs. Plus we need to get our foot back into the deep talent pool Winton Woods has in their younger classes.
He may be big and fast so is Lavell wright but you also have to have vision if the hole you’re supposed to it ain’t there you find another one with your vision that’s what made Benny and CRod special

Wonder how long it’ll take for the Recruiting Coordinator to catch some heat…? He’s paid a lot to deliver better results. Personally, two consecutive signing classes ranked higher than 30th.

Cats sitting on the #47 ranked class nationally and #13 out of 14 in the SEC with 5 weeks until Signing Day. Good luck moving up the ladder in the SEC with classes like this.
Might as well say 15/16 with expansion in place by the time most of these guys contribute a lot.

Bringbun

Bring in Bachmaier to be our QB

Reactions: Madcat62
UK's apparently has offered a 5.5 3* WR out of Ohio, Ardell Banks, that was previously commited to....Toledo. This could indicate UK's missed on Bell and/or the guy from Alabama or will soon have a WR decomit. Nothing against Banks but I just can't get excited about this one.

UK's apparently has offered a 5.5 3* WR out of Ohio, Ardell Banks, that was previously commited to....Toledo. This could indicate UK's missed on Bell and/or the guy from Alabama or will soon have a WR decomit. Nothing against Banks but I just can't get excited about this one.
This class resembles a Joker class. Even though we haven't had top 10 classes under Stoops, almost all of our signees had other solid P5 offers. I'm starting to see a lot of Toledo's, Akron's and Kent State's in this class. Probably for two reasons. 1. Our offensive scheme and stall ball strategy sucks. 2. Lack of NIL.

This class resembles a Joker class. Even though we haven't had top 10 classes under Stoops, almost all of our signees had other solid P5 offers. I'm starting to see a lot of Toledo's, Akron's and Kent State's in this class. Probably for two reasons. 1. Our offensive scheme and stall ball strategy sucks. 2. Lack of NIL.

Either you're a liar and just want to try to make the staff look bad, you can't read, or you legitimately clicked on the wrong recruiting list. Maybe 1 or 2 players in our current class have offers from just smaller schools. The rest have offers from P5 schools.

I'm sick of people saying sht that just isn't true because they want it to be. Go back and edit your post or delete it, and just say that you're biased against the staff in spite of how well they've identified under the radar talent the ENTIRE TIME they've been here. Quit the smear tactics

Banks is 6'4 200 and ran 22.3 sec in the 200 the other day. He had a 10.6 100 and 4.4 40. JR said he is definitely a take and they're only taking 1 of those 3. The staff supposedly likes his game, speed, and potential enough to take him over the other two.

With that said UK def trails UM for English. Wiltfong said UK was leading for bell. We will see.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT