ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2023 Recruiting

UGA is listed as offering him but I have never seen his name posted on our board, almost 100% he hasn't visited. AU recruiting has not been good, they keep saying they have double digit silents but who knows. The thing about recruiting in Bama, and this is the best year in Bama in several years, is if Bama wants them its almost impossible to pull them. They say all the right things and make you think you are right there, and boom, they commit to Bama. If Bama isn't interested and only AU instate is interested there is a good shot you can get him. OM strangely has good luck in Alabama, but Bama controls the state.

UGA is listed as offering him but I have never seen his name posted on our board, almost 100% he hasn't visited. AU recruiting has not been good, they keep saying they have double digit silents but who knows. The thing about recruiting in Bama, and this is the best year in Bama in several years, is if Bama wants them its almost impossible to pull them. They say all the right things and make you think you are right there, and boom, they commit to Bama. If Bama isn't interested and only AU instate is interested there is a good shot you can get him. OM strangely has good luck in Alabama, but Bama controls the state.
He made of video of his UK visit and it looked like a commitment video. Some thought he was committing. He is ranked 102 on 247, similar on rivals. Named a top 5 of UK, UA, Bama, UF, and I think PSU

He made of video of his UK visit and it looked like a commitment video. Some thought he was committing. He is ranked 102 on 247, similar on rivals. Named a top 5 of UK, UA, Bama, UF, and I think PSU
He may be taking notice of Bama's latest player development. They have recruited multiple 4 and 5* WR and OL. Yet their OL play has been very average the last couple of years, took a transfer from Vandy to start this fall, and they have took to padding their stats and not giving backups snaps to the point Saban blamed them for us beating them in Jan. They took a WR transfer from Louisville. So Bama is either misevaluating on alot of kids or their player development is poor. Staff turnover may be catching up with them, plus father time is undefeated. We are recruiting a couple kids from there that are saying the right things, but I just won't believe it until they enroll.

Just so much pressure to stay instate.

If English made a video during his visit, is there optimism he could pull the trigger soon?

Most of UK’s longsnappers have been WOs. Do many schools offer scholarships to longsnappers?

UGA had one several years back. A local orthopedic surgeon was a walk-on snapper on the 1980 team. He had 3 boys who were walking snappers that covered nearly 10 years. But I think it's pretty rare for a long snapper to be on scholarship, especially with the rules being what they are. He gets to be a gunner that gets off the line free, so teams want guys who can run.

My nephew George Shannon is an All-American long snapper from Florida in Ray Guy's ProKicker.com program. Same program as Maxx Duffy and Jackson Smith. He has been ranked consistently as the number 1 or 2 for the past two years, placing him ahead of higher class rivals each year. UK is his dream school.

Has serious interest from Alabama, Wisconsin, Yale, MIT, University of Chicago, North Carolina State, Air Force and North Carolina so far. Mack Jones personally spoke to my brother for 15 minutes today and wants my nephew to come in early for camp. Alabama is sending their special teams Coordinator to George's spring game, just to see George. That is what successful programs do, seek out the top players at every position.

George has an elevated GPA beyond 4.0, and is a National Merit Scholarship Finalist. He has various scholarship offers from each of the top 100 Universities in America. He would not require an athletic scholarship, as his academic scholarships would kick in. As an out of state student, his scores would provide him with a President's scholarship full academic ride at UK.

6 feet even, 210 pounds. We can't get UK to acknowledge him.

…I don’t think we even have a special teams coordinator.

As rough and tough as Stoops is, I’m not sure he knows long snappers exist.

If we’re gonna take that next step, we have to get better at special teams.

In 2019 Max Duffy won the Ray Guy award as CFB most outstanding punter.

Was he snapping it to himself?

My nephew George Shannon is an All-American long snapper from Florida in Ray Guy's ProKicker.com program. Same program as Maxx Duffy and Jackson Smith. He has been ranked consistently as the number 1 or 2 for the past two years, placing him ahead of higher class rivals each year. UK is his dream school.

Has serious interest from Alabama, Wisconsin, Yale, MIT, University of Chicago, North Carolina State, Air Force and North Carolina so far. Mack Jones personally spoke to my brother for 15 minutes today and wants my nephew to come in early for camp. Alabama is sending their special teams Coordinator to George's spring game, just to see George. That is what successful programs do, seek out the top players at every position.

George has an elevated GPA beyond 4.0, and is a National Merit Scholarship Finalist. He has various scholarship offers from each of the top 100 Universities in America. He would not require an athletic scholarship, as his academic scholarships would kick in. As an out of state student, his scores would provide him with a President's scholarship full academic ride at UK.

Unless the rules have changed recently, he would count against the football scholarship limit if a school recruits him.

Unless the rules have changed recently, he would count against the football scholarship limit if a school recruits him.
Congrats on having a talented nephew with his head on straight. Depending on what his future plans are, if I had a son that could get the full academic scholarship to anywhere, an MIT, Stanford, Ivy league education would be hard to turn down. But I get it, those aren't his dream school.

Reactions: BARRYBLUE1

I think the recruiting part is key, and what the interpertation of recruiting is. But that was pre nuetering of the NCAA, I don't think they are going to make a ruling on anything now. This NIL wasn't suppose to be paid to attend a school and it has in fact what it is being used for.

This isn't how scholarships work in D1. If you're on academic scholarship, you count as being on athletic scholarship. Otherwise you'd see schools loading up on huge numbers of "academic" scholarship guys.

Or at least it was that way when I was being recruited for tennis. D1 programs wanted me to walk-on, but I was such a good student that I had full rides most places and couldn't. Could only go through tryouts and walk on after the fact.

I think the recruiting part is key, and what the interpertation of recruiting is. But that was pre nuetering of the NCAA, I don't think they are going to make a ruling on anything now. This NIL wasn't suppose to be paid to attend a school and it has in fact what it is being used for.

If it involves UK, there will be a ruling on it.

We can't afford to skirt the rules in any way shape or form. He will have to contact the school and do the visiting, or he'll count against scholarship totals. PWO cannot be recruited by the school.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
This isn't how scholarships work in D1. If you're on academic scholarship, you count as being on athletic scholarship. Otherwise you'd see schools loading up on huge numbers of "academic" scholarship guys.

Or at least it was that way when I was being recruited for tennis. D1 programs wanted me to walk-on, but I was such a good student that I had full rides most places and couldn't. Could only go through tryouts and walk on after the fact.

Nope. As long as the football program isn't recruiting you, you can WO with an academic scholarship. If they recruit you, then it counts against the athletic scholarship numbers. He has to contact the offices, set up a visit, show up, and then I believe the ball is in UKs court. I don't think they can initiate anything until then.

Please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong or anything has changed in that regard.

In fact, I would recommend @Cat06 that he get in touch with our recent PWO RB or his coach to find out how he went about the process.

We can't afford to skirt the rules in any way shape or form. He will have to contact the school and do the visiting, or he'll count against scholarship totals. PWO cannot be recruited by the school.
PWO can't be recruited? Never knew that. I know UK coaches went to Belfy and offered, KY Mr Football a PWO. I would call that recruiting.

PWO can't be recruited? Never knew that. I know UK coaches went to Belfy and offered, KY Mr Football a PWO. I would call that recruiting.

We all know that. It doesn't matter what YOU call it. It matters what the NCAA calls it.

(As I said very clearly, unless things have changed) He has to initiate the process. They can return contact, even visit, but he can't be brought in on a visit on UK's dime. That's what I'm talking about. As I said, if you can cite rule changes, I'm all ears. If not, you're wasting my time and yours.

Here's a site that seems to have some info-

https://informedathlete.com/ncaa-preferred-walk-on/

I don't see anything in the NCAA manual for this year that even addresses the contact or recruitment of a player by coaches that would be on a non-institutional academic scholarship. I didn't go that deep into it, but couldn't find any info. Doesn't mean it isn't still a rule for a derelict association like the NCAA, but it's not in the manual that I could see.

Now let's keep the thread back on track.

Last edited:
We all know that. It doesn't matter what YOU call it. It matters what the NCAA calls it.

(As I said very clearly, unless things have changed) He has to initiate the process. They can return contact, even visit, but he can't be brought in on a visit on UK's dime. That's what I'm talking about. As I said, if you can cite rule changes, I'm all ears. If not, you're wasting my time and yours.

Here's a site that seems to have some info-

https://informedathlete.com/ncaa-preferred-walk-on/

Now let's keep the thread back on track.
WTF dude. Just said I had never heard of them not being able to recruit a PWO. Not going on OVs is one thing not recruiting is another,.

WTF dude. Just said I had never heard of them not being able to recruit a PWO. Not going on OVs is one thing not recruiting is another,.

Lol. Easy dude.

Back when I was being recruited, you couldn't be called a PWO under academic scholarship (D1) if the school initiated the contact. You had to contact the coaches and apply for admission to the university first. Then once accepted you would contact the coaches about a position as a PWO. They couldn't recruit you without you counting against scholarship numbers. It was a stupid and complicated process.

Back then being a PWO would mean eating at the training table but not counting against scholarship limits. The coaches could not spend an otherwise allowable dime on you for fear you would count against their athletic scholarship numbers.

That was a long time ago, and I don't know if the rules have changed.

I just don't see the NCAA doing much of anything else. They are in the process or try to anyway of transferring rule making and enforcement to conferences.

I can see a super conference 30-40 teams that are willing to get into the FIL war. Rest of P5 G5 and the smaller classes that survive will form divisions without FIL or limited FIL arrangements.

Lol. Easy dude.

Back when I was being recruited, you couldn't be called a PWO under academic scholarship (D1) if the school initiated the contact. You had to contact the coaches and apply for admission to the university first. Then once accepted you would contact the coaches about a position as a PWO. They couldn't recruit you without you counting against scholarship numbers. It was a stupid and complicated process.

Back then being a PWO would mean eating at the training table but not counting against scholarship limits. The coaches could not spend an otherwise allowable dime on you for fear you would count against their athletic scholarship numbers.

That was a long time ago, and I don't know if the rules have changed.
Sorry I must have misunderstood your comment. I had never heard of that and my original comment was meant as a question. It's always good to learn something new.

Reactions: Girthang
Sorry I must have misunderstood your comment. I had never heard of that and my original comment was meant as a question. It's always good to learn something new.

Sorry if my comment came off wrong.

PWO means/used to mean different things to different schools, too.

Damn man so sorry to hear that…. I hope we wake up

…I don’t think we even have a special teams coordinator.

As rough and tough as Stoops is, I’m not sure he knows long snappers exist.

If we’re gonna take that next step, we have to get better at special teams.
John Settle is our special teams coordinator. He has done a good job.

I agree with Girthang. Let's keep the thread on track. It should not be difficult.

Reactions: Girthang
Cutter Boley, the qb that is on the ad scroll, has got a hell of an arm.

6'5".... His dad must be a giant.

Reactions: Canned Heat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT