ADVERTISEMENT

State championship

Yes, he was still coaching then and still screaming to the top of his lungs from third base, ha ha. Charlie was my cousin on my Dad’s side of the family. Paintsville and Prestonsburg was always a big rivalry game. And Prestonsburg had some really good teams. Amazing how much talent that has came outta those two schools.
We played Paintsville several times at their field. I recall that there was no fence but in left center field there was a swimming pool. Johnnie Lemaster hit a ball that was close to the pool and it had to be a shot well over 400 feet. Funny you should mention about Charlie screaming at his team. My most vivid memory of him was when he yelled at the top of his lungs at a Paintsville player that ran through a sign while he was coaching third base.

We have 12 in football but last one was in 90

That was my SR year. But, I think it’s just 11. They put up 12 flag poles to honor each state title team when they renovated Putnam Stadium but the 12th pole was designated for the next winner. I googled it to be sure bc I was thinking 12 at first, too. We also have 3 baseball championships but they were a 3peat with the last one in 1968.

Ask him if he remembers Jay Byrne...he was Fenwicks stud in 82.

Byrne had 16 when I fouled out with 5:30 left and finished with 34.
My dad said he had 12 at end of third quarter and then went stupid making shots.

He also said as an assistant he coached against Fenwick in 88 regional tournament in Dayton. And later took some administrative classes with Byrne at Wright state. That would have been about 2005-2006

That was my SR year. But, I think it’s just 11. They put up 12 flag poles to honor each state title team when they renovated Putnam Stadium but the 12th pole was designated for the next winner. I googled it to be sure bc I was thinking 12 at first, too. We also have 3 baseball championships but they were a 3peat with the last one in 1968.

Thanks for the good info on Ashland and I have nothing to add , you were very accurate .

As for me in neighboring Greenup Co .. Well here goes We are known for cheerleading ( insert puking emoji here) I despise it . Its not that i'm jealous of what those girls earned , for the record several are good friends of mine and what they accomplished was AMAZING .. the group of freshman I started out with won 4 straight NATIONAL championships . !981-84 . I could only assume there was a few state champs in that as well. But it was at a time that Greenup had the best HS basketball team the school ever produced . The Mike Scott years . A lot of folks tend to poo poo that time period or even Mike's career , but dont recall he started at Wake Forest as a freshman as a true freshman . Anyway during Mikes time there we had the sad misfortune of drawing 2 eventual state champs in the opening damn round both times ( Henry clay with Steve Miller in 82 and Hoptown with the Quarles boys in 85 ) .
Came close in baseball in 17 . And GC was the " at Large " state champ in 4a football in 1978 , before falling to Trinity as there only loss. At that time they recognized a champ before playing the private school champ I believe . That alI can I recall , and now GC has dropped in population just like Ashland .. we were a large 4A , now a smaller 3A . I graduated with like 330 and now they are running like 180 I think. Anyway .. good thread . I was part of regional champ in both hoops and baseball.

Couldn’t remember the year, it’s been awhile. I saw our school play them at our place. We had some good teams in the 70’s. We gave them a good game best I remember, but I could be wrong. I was still in high school, but didn’t play.

Thanks for the good info on Ashland and I have nothing to add , you were very accurate .

As for me in neighboring Greenup Co .. Well here goes We are known for cheerleading ( insert puking emoji here) I despise it . Its not that i'm jealous of what those girls earned , for the record several are good friends of mine and what they accomplished was AMAZING .. the group of freshman I started out with won 4 straight NATIONAL championships . !981-84 . I could only assume there was a few state champs in that as well. But it was at a time that Greenup had the best HS basketball team the school ever produced . The Mike Scott years . A lot of folks tend to poo poo that time period or even Mike's career , but dont recall he started at Wake Forest as a freshman as a true freshman . Anyway during Mikes time there we had the sad misfortune of drawing 2 eventual state champs in the opening damn round both times ( Henry clay with Steve Miller in 82 and Hoptown with the Quarles boys in 85 ) .
Came close in baseball in 17 . And GC was the " at Large " state champ in 4a football in 1978 , before falling to Trinity as there only loss. At that time they recognized a champ before playing the private school champ I believe . That alI can I recall , and now GC has dropped in population just like Ashland .. we were a large 4A , now a smaller 3A . I graduated with like 330 and now they are running like 180 I think. Anyway .. good thread . I was part of regional champ in both hoops and baseball.

Yeah, we had a similar season in ‘75 & were at-large state champs but then suffered the only loss of the season to St X the following week. The ‘90 team’s only loss came at Greenup Co, 18-15, btw.

You guys have a great baseball program. I could’ve sworn y’all won a championship a few years ago. Not sure of the year but it was when Aaron McGlone played. That ‘17 team was damn good, too, & was ranked in the top 10 in the country by USA Today at one point. Didn’t they win their first 38 games or enter the state tournament undefeated?

I saw Mike Scott play 3-4 times his SR year & he dominated the area. He wasn’t very athletic but was huge & had soft hands & a good touch on his shot. I was pulling for you guys at state & listened to the radio broadcasts. Seems like the 16th region always draws the favorite in the first round.

I know what you’re saying about cheerleading & idk the first thing about it but that program is a legit dynasty. 25 national championships deserves respect regardless of the sport. Ashland & Boyd Co have both won national championships as well but GC is the standard. Greenup also produced Don Gullett & a case can be made that he’s at least in the conversation for best all around athlete to ever come out of KY.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Don’t remember the year ( late 70’s, early 80’s?), Edmonson County won it. They were a pretty small school. Saw them play once, a great team.
Yes, I remember them well. And coincidentally, I was playing pickup basketball in the Seaton Center at UK in the early '80's. Ended up on a team with a guy that wore a pretty good size knee brace but who could really play. I thought that he looked familiar then he came over and introduced himself. It was Kevin Clemmons who ended up being MVP of the State Tournament the year Edmonson County won it. Great player but was also a really nice guy. I heard that he went on to become a dentist. I still remember him dominating all of the opposing team's guard in the State Tournament that year even though he had a pretty good sized knee brace.

Reactions: Backer cutter
No.

My high school has never won a state championship in any sport. Grayson County.

The school my kids went/go to have won 2 basketball championships and 1+ championships in multiple other sports. Scott County.
We played at Grayson County when I was a sophomore at Prestonsburg. Seemed as if it took forever to get there and I believe they beat us easily.

My high school, Ahrens, from Louisville, played in exactly 1 Sweet 16. That was in 1978, the year I graduated. At one time that season we were the number one team in the state. Unfortunately our stay in the Sweet 16 was short lived.

They also won the 73 title.NA
Yes, sir....SHould have won it in 1980, 1994 and 1996....Could argue 2018 as well. Really strong tradition. Still amazing that Langford is the only kid to win Mr. Basketball from New Albany.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT