ADVERTISEMENT

State championship

Yes. 1992 Graduate of Borden(IN) HS. Won 2013 Class 1A State title. I also attended New Albany(IN) HS. They won the 2016 Class 4A title.

Reactions: Backer cutter
My high school won the basketball state title the year after i graduated. Glasgow high in 1968.

I am from Michigan and went to River Rouge High School until my Junior year. That is, the high school I went to in Michigan, has won 14 State Basketball Championships. I ended up in the state of Kentucky for my last 2 years of high school at Wheelwright High in Wheelwright Kentucky, and they have no championships and they no longer have a school.

Reactions: ScrooDook92
I am from Michigan and went to River Rouge High School until my Junior year. That is, the high school I went to in Michigan, has won 14 State Basketball Championships. I ended up in the state of Kentucky for my last 2 years of high school at Wheelwright High in Wheelwright Kentucky, and they have no championships and they no longer have a school.
I am sorry to hear the school is gone. A school that my mother took me to (dancing on the weekends) is no longer there. Well, the school's building was bought some time back and I think it was restored. For what purpose, I don't know. Morgan High School...
What brought you all the way down to Michigan?

Consolidated Marshall County High School has won two girls state titles (early 80's).

Three boys titles from former high schools:

1938 Sharpe
1948 Brewers (last undefeated champion)
1959 North Marshall

So, five altogether.

Wow, very interesting! My uncle is from Ashland. I have been there once.

We were 2nd nationally for YEARS but there have been a few rough patches & teams started passing us 5-10 years ago. We SHOULD hit 2000 wins this season. On a side note Paducah Tilghman isn’t far behind us with over 1950 wins & also ranks in the top 10 nationally. We also have 11 football championships & are 9th or 10th in all-time wins in KY. We have a pretty solid history, athletically speaking.

Reactions: ScrooDook92
We were 2nd nationally for YEARS but there have been a few rough patches & teams started passing us 5-10 years ago. We SHOULD hit 2000 wins this season. On a side note Paducah Tilghman isn’t far behind us with over 1950 wins & also ranks in the top 10 nationally. We also have 11 football championships & are 9th or 10th in all-time wins in KY. We have a pretty solid history, athletically speaking.
I'm very curious about this. Isn't Ashland part of the Appalachian belt, or close to it? Does that have an effect on the pool of athletic kids? Is the work mentality different there than, say for example, Lexington, Louisville or even Maysville?

No.

My high school has never won a state championship in any sport. Grayson County.

The school my kids went/go to have won 2 basketball championships and 1+ championships in multiple other sports. Scott County.

Yes, Paintsville High School, basketball in 96 and baseball in 90.
Was Charlie Adkins still coaching then? Been away since 1983 and I played against Paintsville on several occasions as I graduated from Prestonsburg. Paintsville was always good and had outstanding players like Johnnie Lemaster, Tommy Deskins and as bad as I hate to admit it, Bill Mike Runyon and Bill Stafford. Played against all of those guys. Adkins always had a tough team.

Most do not realize that Wheelwright came close to winning State in the early '60's. They finished third after losing to the eventual champion. Had a great coach named Don Wallen but he left after that for a job in Florida.

They did win in 1936. my catspause yearbook shows it on page 232 in the recent edition. They had a guy 6"10 who actually played for UK under Rupp in the late thirties. His name was Marion Cluggish.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
Was Charlie Adkins still coaching then? Been away since 1983 and I played against Paintsville on several occasions as I graduated from Prestonsburg. Paintsville was always good and had outstanding players like Johnnie Lemaster, Tommy Deskins and as bad as I hate to admit it, Bill Mike Runyon and Bill Stafford. Played against all of those guys. Adkins always had a tough team.
Yes, he was still coaching then and still screaming to the top of his lungs from third base, ha ha. Charlie was my cousin on my Dad’s side of the family. Paintsville and Prestonsburg was always a big rivalry game. And Prestonsburg had some really good teams. Amazing how much talent that has came outta those two schools.

They did win in 1936. my catspause yearbook shows it on page 232 in the recent edition. They had a guy 6"10 who actually played for UK under Rupp in the late thirties. His name was Marion Cluggish.
You're right, I looked over it on the list. Thanks

Graduate of Christian Co. High School

Basketball 2011
Football 1982 and 1984 (AAAA Largest Class at that time)
Baseball 2004
Wrestling 1988
Girls Softball (3 slow pitch 1 fast pitch-1996)
Girls Track 1969 and 1970

6 Ky hoops titles at Lafayette. None since 2001.

In my three years we (they) won the state baseball title and state soccer title.

I was on the football team. We went like 4-24 because none of the good athletes wanted to get hurt playing football. I was all-county academic team both years and never played a snap that wasn't special teams. Glory days, indeed.

I'm very curious about this. Isn't Ashland part of the Appalachian belt, or close to it? Does that have an effect on the pool of athletic kids? Is the work mentality different there than, say for example, Lexington, Louisville or even Maysville?

Yes, we are in the northeastern most part of the state. This area used to be littered with flourishing steel mills & chemical plants but we’ve lost nearly all of them over the last 30 years. In turn, we’ve lost 10-15,000 residents in that time. Our last title of any sort was the 1990 football championship & IMO it’s a direct correlation to the population decline.

I don’t know that the work mentality played a big role in our success; I think it’s as simple as having a much larger pool of kids to pick from up until the mid-late 80s. We peaked at about 30,000 residents so it’s not like we were a bustling metropolis. But, we only have the one high school in city limits so there was no in-town competition & all the athletes went to Blazer.

It’s sad. We had two little leagues from the mid 60s up until this past season & the leagues merged into one due to a pathetically low number of kids playing. Personally, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the championships stopped around the same time the population began to decline. We have a long, storied past but it becomes more distant with each passing, title-less year.

Yes, we are in the northeastern most part of the state. This area used to be littered with flourishing steel mills & chemical plants but we’ve lost nearly all of them over the last 30 years. In turn, we’ve lost 10-15,000 residents in that time. Our last title of any sort was the 1990 football championship & IMO it’s a direct correlation to the population decline.

I don’t know that the work mentality played a big role in our success; I think it’s as simple as having a much larger pool of kids to pick from up until the mid-late 80s. We peaked at about 30,000 residents so it’s not like we were a bustling metropolis. But, we only have the one high school in city limits so there was no in-town competition & all the athletes went to Blazer.

It’s sad. We had two little leagues from the mid 60s up until this past season & the leagues merged into one due to a pathetically low number of kids playing. Personally, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the championships stopped around the same time the population began to decline. We have a long, storied past but it becomes more distant with each passing, title-less year.
That is sad. I'm very interested in this sort of thing, I tend to live in the past so it hits me a little harder. It's probably not going to happen, but wouldn't it be great if those steel mills came back? I worked in one as my third ever job. Hottest and dirtiest place I've ever worked, but the friendly, blue collar work environment I will never forget .

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
Our school is so small, we just don’t have enough kids to pick from. It’s hard to compete with larger schools. I never even had the chance to play football because our school dropped it before I got to high school, and I was a freshman in 74. We still don’t have it lol.

That is sad. I'm very interested in this sort of thing, I tend to live in the past so it hits me a little harder. It's probably not going to happen, but wouldn't it be great if those steel mills came back? I worked in one as my third ever job. Hottest and dirtiest place I've ever worked, but the friendly, blue collar work environment I will never forget .

Lol, I have a problem with living in the past as well. This area is NOTHING like it was. We now have hookers & are overrun with drugs. Went from Mayberry to Detroit overnight, seemingly.

I’d give anything for the local economy to make a comeback. AK Steel just recently announced they are permanently closing our mill by the end of the year, I believe, but they have been gradually eliminating jobs for a few years & it’s been less than a shell of itself for years. I worked at an ethanol plant & Ashland Oil for a while & completely agree about enjoying the atmosphere of those jobs.

Braidy Industries recently purchased land in the area to build a huge aluminum plant & that has given us some optimism for the future. But, they are way behind schedule & haven’t even broken ground yet & a lot of ppl are starting to worry it may not happen.

It’s tough watching the place you love & call home deteriorate into a poverty ridden cesspool. Until a few years ago I couldn’t imagine a better place to raise a family. Now, you can’t even feel at ease taking kids to play in the park for fear of them stepping on a dirty needle or witnessing an overdose. There are still a lot of great ppl here but unfortunately they are overshadowed by the degenerates.

While Prestonsburg didn’t win any titles ever to my knowledge while teaching at David Lipscomb we won a girls basketball title a boys basketball title with Oliver Simmons, 3 football championships 4 baseball titles a soft ball title and several in track and field.

Last edited:
Earlington High School 1967 State Basketball Championship. Around 300 students from grades 1-12. School no longer exists.

Owensboro Senior has at least four state titles in basketball but has 39 appearances
in the Sweet Sixteen. Which is the State Record.

ADVERTISEMENT