ADVERTISEMENT

State at Wildcats (Sat edition)

Comebakatz3

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2008

Clean first for both teams. Gartman for State got all 3 Cats looking in the bottom of the 1st.

Out of 9 possible outs, we have 7 strikeouts, 5 caught looking...

Another home run in the top of the 4th and State up 3-0. Wind playing a big factor

This is wild. Cats lead after a walk and then a double that was barely fair and qind assisted to get fair. Then a single up the box scored 2.

From everyone striking out looking to bow a 5-3 lead with 0 outs. Wild.

Reactions: parrott
Hated our hitters approach the first time through the lineup but to their credit they’ve wore this Pitcher down and are taking advantage of his mistakes

Reactions: backinky2018
I don't like that we tried to bunt there. You're up 4 in a middle inning. Just swing away... which worked the very next at bat.

This team confuses me. Early on we could hit but not score. Now we seem like we can score but we're not really hitting all that well. 8 runs so far today but just 5 hits. Making the most of opportunities.

I hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the ass but Mingione has put together a helluva team. Props to him.

I didn't hear what happened to Gilliam. Hagenow looked and performed extremely confident. The hitting was better than it has been. This is a very good start, a very unMingionelike start to the SEC season. I'm just going to wait a bit. Mississippi State didn't have a very strong OOC schedule.

I didn't hear what happened to Gilliam. Hagenow looked and performed extremely confident. The hitting was better than it has been. This is a very good start, a very unMingionelike start to the SEC season. I'm just going to wait a bit. Mississippi State didn't have a very strong OOC schedule.

Miss State had the worst record in the league coming in, but its this type of series UK has to take care of business in if they want to play in the post season. Props to them for that.

Personally, I have said that for me to change my mind on Mingione I need one of two things. 1. A no doubt NCAA tournament bid, and very deep run. 2. Multiple years of tournament bids in a row.

This is a good step to making those things happen.

Reactions: TuckyFB
Miss State had the worst record in the league coming in, but its this type of series UK has to take care of business in if they want to play in the post season. Props to them for that.

Personally, I have said that for me to change my mind on Mingione I need one of two things. 1. A no doubt NCAA tournament bid, and very deep run. 2. Multiple years of tournament bids in a row.

This is a good step to making those things happen.
But still Miss St isn't that far removed from winning it all a couple of years ago. Impressive.

Baseball is just a funny game. By looks Mississippi St seemed to be the more talented team. Just the pop pop the pitch, the sound of the ball coming off the bat, etc. but either State is just a inexperienced team or just poorly coached or a good bit of both.

On the other hand, we looked and played loose, with nothing to lose but with the confidence of winning or knowing how to win games. You could say we played a very easy non-con schedule but by being successful in those games created a wave of confidence that has carried well into these first two conference games. Let’s see how long/far we can ride this wave.

But still Miss St isn't that far removed from winning it all a couple of years ago. Impressive.

They won 2 year ago but fell off a cliff afterwards. Went from winning it all to a losing record and finishing last in the SEC. It was bad enough that some State fans are actually ready to fire Lemonis. They hoped he put it back together this season. Whether he has or hasnt, I'm not sure, but UK has won the series regardless and that's the key for us.

Reactions: TuckyFB
They’ve started hot and faded before , but 16-2 and two in a row over Miss State is no joke . If they can play >.500 ball in the SEC over a month stretch , or so , from here they can rack up enough wins to cement an NCAA birth …likely needed for Mingione to keep his job

I am still convinced Ming isn’t the answer for successful baseball at UK. But you can’t dispute the start in conference play. The pitching has been a pleasant surprise and they seem to have a knack for scoring runs if different ways.

Roszel was an amazing hire. Not sure how Mingione convinced him to come on board, but major props for that.

If they keep this up and after the NCAA tourney, KPP will get a couple of sellouts.

I was there today and here’s my thoughts. KY looked more crisp and clean during warmups. Cats have a nice looking team defensively. The first couple innings I thought State might be more of an offense oriented team. The cats looked horrible the first three innings, way too many strikeouts looking.

Felker looks good at 3rd but has a tendency to make low throws to first. After the third inning, the Cats caught fire and had a lot of timely hits. Gray in the lead off spot seems troubling. He had two strikeouts looking today, not what you want from your lead off guy. I was puzzled when Mingione pulled Gilliam for McCarthy in the fourth but there’s something he does every game that I question.

Overall the team looked surprisingly solid. I think most on this board know my feelings on Mingione, but he’s put together a decent team. Pitching was outstanding today. Bosma gave up two homers, but one had a lot of help from the wind. Hagenow was spectacular in relief. If the hitting is solid, this could be Mingione’s second best squad since he’s been here.

I still think if KY wants over the hump, Mingione is not the guy. It’s still very early but so far the Cats are looking good.

I was at the game today. A real shame that we have basketball conflict and the weather has gotten cold or we would have some great crowds for this team.

I'm pleasantly surprised by our start, would be great to start with a sweep. I'm planning to go tomorrow and leave at 2:30 so that I can get home for the basketball game!

Anyone hear about Gilliam? I'm pretty sure he got hurt, but didn't hear anything definitive.

I was at the game today. A real shame that we have basketball conflict and the weather has gotten cold or we would have some great crowds for this team.

I'm pleasantly surprised by our start, would be great to start with a sweep. I'm planning to go tomorrow and leave at 2:30 so that I can get home for the basketball game!

Anyone hear about Gilliam? I'm pretty sure he got hurt, but didn't hear anything definitive.
They never did say what happened with Gilliam.

Anyone who is dumb enough to believe Gilliam was taken out for anything except an injury is just too stupid to have a conversation with.

Was any media there today? Wasn’t sure if someone asked about it postgame. We NEED him back tomorrow.

They never did say what happened with Gilliam.

Anyone who is dumb enough to believe Gilliam was taken out for anything except an injury is just too stupid to have a conversation with.

Was any media there today? Wasn’t sure if someone asked about it postgame. We NEED him back tomorrow.

DT said elsewhere that he got hit where the sun don't shine on the E5 by Felker.

DT said elsewhere that he got hit where the sun don't shine on the E5 by Felker.
He seemed ok after the play to me but I guess not. That was one of the low throws from Felker that I mentioned. We certainly need Gilliam. Hopefully he’s ok.

Edit: If you’re going to play first base with Felker at third, you might want to consider wearing a cup.

Yep. Shot to the.... junk.... he has started like 134 games in a row though so gotta figure he's gonna do what he can to be out there tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT