ADVERTISEMENT

Starters vs. Georgia

Jan 11, 2023
Wallace
Fredrick
Reeves
Toppin
Oscar

Livingston and Toppin split the 4 (hot hand)
Ware or ugo backs up oscar
Thiero for whichever guard needs a breather
Wheeler and Collins in emergencies

Anything else is simply incorrect.

Will Cal still screw it up? What’s your confidence level he does what’s best and what everyone knows? I’m at 2%. He’ll cut wheelers’ minutes, but he’ll still force livingston at the 3, to the expense of Reeves or cj and we will still struggle to score at times because of it. He’ll also still play wheeler way too much.

52-49 Cats!!!

Toppin remains a problem. He did some good things and some really bad things in the Tenn game which resulted in a number of points for Tenn or missed lay-ups luckily. It sort of has been his thing all year. He can do something great and then balance it out by a bad decision. Ugo also needs to relieve Oscar or secondarily Ware who should not be a sub for Toppin as we agree it should be Livingston. But, we will see tonight what transpires.

Wallace
Fredrick
Reeves
Toppin
Oscar

Will Cal still screw it up? What’s your confidence level he does what’s best and what everyone knows? I’m at 2%. He’ll cut wheelers’ minutes, but he’ll still force livingston at the 3, to the expense of Reeves or cj and we will still struggle to score at times because of it. He’ll also still play wheeler way too much.

52-49 Cats!!!
Not a chance on Wheeler playing only in emergencies. Nor should he. He can contribute more than that

This board might as well get ready for disappointment if they hope Wheeler will only be used in emergency situations . No chance it happens if he’s healthy .
Agreed.

However, Cal has said he wants to play more “deliberate.” If that’s what you want to do, then Wheeler should not be your guy. That doesn't play to his strength.

But, with Cal, that probably won’t matter. He’ll likely try to force a square peg into a round hole.

You guys keep saying over and over Livingston at the 4. And I'm not against that, because how Toppin has disappointed (not that Livingston has done much if any better).
But it ain't happening.
Whether by Cal's choice, or Livingston's choice, or BOTH. I think BOTH, but mostly Livingston's choice. That he see's himself more of a 2G than a PF. Honestly WTF does it matter, Toppin stands in the left corner behind the 3pt line most the game; so the only real difference is who you are guarding (& he is strong enough to guard most 4's).
But there can be no other explanation for the USC game and not playing Livingston at the 4 any, and only playing Collins and Ware there that game, than that CL doesn't want to play the 4 and has made that clear to Cal. But Cal is the coach and responsible.

Wallace
Fredrick
Reeves
Toppin
Oscar

52-49 Cats!!!
Let us just do it!

Agreed.

However, Cal has said he wants to play more “deliberate.” If that’s what you want to do, then Wheeler should not be your guy. That doesn't play to his strength.

But, with Cal, that probably won’t matter. He’ll likely try to force a square peg into a round hole.
I think his best role would be spark plug off of the bench . But even I don’t think that will happen . I see Cal keeping him starting like before the shoulder injury .

You guys keep saying over and over Livingston at the 4. And I'm not against that, because how Toppin has disappointed (not that Livingston has done much if any better).
But it ain't happening.
Whether by Cal's choice, or Livingston's choice, or BOTH. I think BOTH, but mostly Livingston's choice. That he see's himself more of a 2G than a PF. Honestly WTF does it matter, Toppin stands in the left corner behind the 3pt line most the game; so the only real difference is who you are guarding (& he is strong enough to guard most 4's).
But there can be no other explanation for the USC game and not playing Livingston at the 4 any, and only playing Collins and Ware there that game, than that CL doesn't want to play the 4 and has made that clear to Cal. But Cal is the coach and responsible.
Wtf does it matter? All of our worst lineups statistically have Livingston at the 3. Also, see Bryce Hopkins.

I mean if you like losing in the first or second round then yea..
You really do make some of the dumbest statements.

I assume you are referring to SPU game. I think Wheeler plays too much also, would like to see him at 15mpg, 20mpg at most. But vs SPU we lost because of Tyty and Grady (both playing at like 90%, and sucking at it), and Mintz, and Brooks all playing bad that game, AND Cal forgetting in the 2nd half who Toppin was. Wheeler was our 2nd best player that game, and that should never be the case. Now vs SPU Wheeler did show that maybe he cannot be counted on in the clutch (pressure situation) w/ his bad TO and missed FTs. And I think those missed FTs are still in his head, and why a 74% career FT shooter is making only 53%; which is why IMO we cannot have him on the floor the final 5min of a game.

I don’t get the Wheeler hate. He doesn’t have to start, but he should absolutely play 20 plus minutes. It’s strange how people attack him, but nobody says a word about toppins bad play. It’s almost like Wheeler stole their girls lol.

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
Agreed.

THIS RIGHT HERE! It’s very counterproductive. Just boggles the mind honestly.

If Cal starts Wheeler and plays him 35 minutes a game and we start playing like shit again with terrible spacing, he is gonna get absolutely fvcking blasted by media and fans. The precedent has been set for the lineup that needs to play the majority of the minutes. It’s as clear as day.

I do think Wheeler's usage will drop some, perhaps to around 22-25 minutes per game. People thinking he will become a sparingly used role player are setting themselves up to be disappointed. He's still going to play. And he should...he's a really good backup point guard.

I think 15-18 minutes would be ideal, but we all know he's playing more than that.

Reactions: ganner918
I disagree.

Start Livingston over Reeves.
Reeves can get in flow a lot easier off bench.

Bring Wheeler off bench ..

You really do make some of the dumbest statements.

I assume you are referring to SPU game. I think Wheeler plays too much also, would like to see him at 15mpg, 20mpg at most. But vs SPU we lost because of Tyty and Grady (both playing at like 90%, and sucking at it), and Mintz, and Brooks all playing bad that game, AND Cal forgetting in the 2nd half who Toppin was. Wheeler was our 2nd best player that game, and that should never be the case. Now vs SPU Wheeler did show that maybe he cannot be counted on in the clutch (pressure situation) w/ his bad TO and missed FTs. And I think those missed FTs are still in his head, and why a 74% career FT shooter is making only 53%; which is why IMO we cannot have him on the floor the final 5min of a game.

100% agree. To blame Wheeler the most for that loss when he is 5th down the list of players and 6th if you obviously include calipari as being responsible is just dumb. I think he gets the blame because he is the only one left from that abomination that people can blame other than calipari. Oscar played amazing so he isnt to blame.

I agree with minutes and sure he will start 2nite. I will just shake my head and laugh.

I am much more concerned about who is on the floor The last 5 minutes, hopefully our best free throw shooters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT