ADVERTISEMENT

Spring practice updates?

Spring break, practice resumes 3/20.

Does UK/Stoops allow much coverage of his practices? Kirby gives the media 8 minutes a practice and some days that is warmups, occasionally he doesn't allow any coverage, a 180 from the Richt days.

Does UK/Stoops allow much coverage of his practices? Kirby gives the media 8 minutes a practice and some days that is warmups, occasionally he doesn't allow any coverage, a 180 from the Richt days.
No. they alternate having defensive or offensive coaches speak after practice. Stoops speaks once per week (Thursdays, IIRC). You get very, very little detail from the comments - mostly coachspeak.

No. they alternate having defensive or offensive coaches speak after practice. Stoops speaks once per week (Thursdays, IIRC). You get very, very little detail from the comments - mostly coachspeak.

At least you get to hear from the coaches, Kirby doesn't let them or frosh speak to the media, and picks the guys who do speak and answer questions. Our spring practices starts next week and we won't hear much and see less until spring game. Fall is just as tight, quite a change from the former staff when most practice ?was open, coaches gave interviews and media got to request who they wanted to talk with.

About all we get is practice is very physical and fast paced. We have quite a few spots up for grabs this spring and fall, but not the 31 that UT and Carolina claims, but we will have 8-10 new starters come fall and won't likely know who most are until game week.

i don't understand not having some open practices at least to media! Promote your product! Surely opponents aren't gonna learn that much from what a few fans or media would see. Even if some moles got in, how much could they really learn that would help them against us next fall?

Reactions: bratboy and jauk11

I remember a time - and not too long ago - when you could actually GO to spring practice. Fan "participation" these days pretty much limited to spring game, which is usually 1s vs 2s (for only a half, lots of mix and match in second half), special "contact" rules, excludes anyone with smallest of injury, etc.

Hard for even "knowledgeable fans" to draw any conclusions other than "so and so looked pretty good" or "that kid is pretty fast". :cool:

Peace

At least you get to hear from the coaches, Kirby doesn't let them or frosh speak to the media, and picks the guys who do speak and answer questions. Our spring practices starts next week and we won't hear much and see less until spring game. Fall is just as tight, quite a change from the former staff when most practice ?was open, coaches gave interviews and media got to request who they wanted to talk with.

About all we get is practice is very physical and fast paced. We have quite a few spots up for grabs this spring and fall, but not the 31 that UT and Carolina claims, but we will have 8-10 new starters come fall and won't likely know who most are until game week.
Seems to be working out okay, Grumpy.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
i don't understand not having some open practices at least to media! Promote your product! Surely opponents aren't gonna learn that much from what a few fans or media would see. Even if some moles got in, how much could they really learn that would help them against us next fall?

Agreed.

And they should pass rules outlawing closed practices IN THE SPRING so fans can be more involved AND no one gains an advantage.

Seems to be working out okay, Grumpy.

It did for us in 17 and if that continues I imagine Kirby will get pretty much anything he wants, But it's just quite a bit different than it had been, assistants, players, limits on covering practice were pretty lax, lots of HS coaches were allowed to attend. Now it's pretty much close to everyone except letterman, the biggest boosters and parents.

UK hasn't practiced for 10 days and won't be practicing again until tomorrow (Monday) so there's been nothing to report.
Not sure I understand that. Practice for a couple of days take a 10 day hiatus then resume. Why not wait till after spring break to start?

Reactions: no1gman
Not sure I understand that. Practice for a couple of days take a 10 day hiatus then resume. Why not wait till after spring break to start?

Probably something to do with spring break and being able to get the spring games on the SEC network. UGA's was moved back a week, to get off Master's weekend I suppose and doesn't start till Tuesday I believe it is, and spring game is April 21. With so many starters returning most of UK's battles will be to fill the depth charts. UGA won't have many on offense, but will have quite a few that will go into fall camp.

sec tv sets spring game date. setting practices to start before spring break.

one is to get the no pads days out of the way,

I think the coaches have said in the past they don't mind the break b/c they can begin installing stuff week 1, take spring break they have film review sessions, and then they jump into the rest of spring practice like normal

So, in a sense, it gives an extra week of "absorption" mentally for the players stepping into new or bigger roles.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
The first day back must have been really exciting.

Oh wait, that is about the same coverage we get on here normally, lots of news.

I think they should outlaw closed practices in the spring for every team, that way no one gets an advantage and you also increase fan interest. I don't think they should be installing secret plays in the spring anyway, too big a chance Transfer U will steal them.

Last edited:
Spring watch on offense: WRs and QBs. What will spring ball look like w/o TEs?

Spring watch on defense: Does the unit improve? Depth and experience at every position. Questions at every position.

Reactions: Blue Decade
Spring watch on offense: WRs and QBs. What will spring ball look like w/o TEs?

Spring watch on defense: Does the unit improve? Depth and experience at every position. Questions at every position.
Agree. Would add that our coaches are closely evaluating Looney, Carter. Stoops already commented on it. Looney still has a chance to inherit the tackle position from Middleton in 2019, and both these guys could play big roles on our defense if they turn it up. But with so much new talent coming on our defensive line, both could get buried if they don’t turn it up.

Reactions: RV2
I am very excited to see some of the pups on the D-line perform. I'm expecting big improvement in that position group over the next few seasons.

Reactions: The-Hack

This may answer your question: If you will notice they only practice 3 times a week and stretch practice out over a 6 week period for maximum effect of their 15 allowed practices.

Monday, March 5

* Tuesday, March 6

* Thursday, March 8

* NO PRACTICE OR MEDIA AVAILABILITY DURING SPRING BREAK (March 10-19)

* Tuesday, March 20

* Thursday, March 22

* Friday, March 23 - Pro Day

* Saturday, March 24

* Tuesday, March 27

* Thursday, March 29

* Saturday, March 31

* Tuesday, April 3

* Thursday, April 5

* Saturday, April 7

* Tuesday, April 10

* Thursday, April 12

* Friday, April 13, Blue/White Spring Game, 6:30 p.m. ET, Kroger Field – SEC Network

Reactions: jauk11
This may answer your question: If you will notice they only practice 3 times a week and stretch practice out over a 6 week period for maximum effect of their 15 allowed practices.

Monday, March 5

* Tuesday, March 6

* Thursday, March 8

* NO PRACTICE OR MEDIA AVAILABILITY DURING SPRING BREAK (March 10-19)

* Tuesday, March 20

* Thursday, March 22

* Friday, March 23 - Pro Day

* Saturday, March 24

* Tuesday, March 27

* Thursday, March 29

* Saturday, March 31

* Tuesday, April 3

* Thursday, April 5

* Saturday, April 7

* Tuesday, April 10

* Thursday, April 12

* Friday, April 13, Blue/White Spring Game, 6:30 p.m. ET, Kroger Field – SEC Network

Sounds like a pretty efficient schedule to me.

Even if some moles got in, how much could they really learn that would help them against us next fall?

I can envision a mysterious man sitting in an average sedan, near the practice facility, 15 minutes after a practice, messaging to Knoxville on his cell phone [in code, of course].

And somewhere on the Big Orange campus, someone else sitting at a "receiver," jotting down notes as he attempts to decode the message . . . . .

He pulls the earphones from his head as the import of the missive sinks into his thick head . . . .

"Somebody fetch a Coach . . . . Kentucky has a kid named 'Shell,' and he's going to run it down our throats!"

I can envision a mysterious man sitting in an average sedan, near the practice facility, 15 minutes after a practice, messaging to Knoxville on his cell phone [in code, of course].

And somewhere on the Big Orange campus, someone else sitting at a "receiver," jotting down notes as he attempts to decode the message . . . . .

He pulls the earphones from his head as the import of the missive sinks into his thick head . . . .

"Somebody fetch a Coach . . . . Kentucky has a kid named 'Shell,' and he's going to run it down our throats!"

LOL, and using their stationary satellite positioned overhead for a better look of course.

Only one solution, hold Snell out of any of the spring practices, say he has a broken leg for the spring game AND the gimme games at the start of the year. The streak is the most important thing, Florida won't know what hit them.

LOL, and using their stationary satellite positioned overhead for a better look of course.

Only one solution, hold Snell out of any of the spring practices, say he has a broken leg for the spring game AND the gimme games at the start of the year. The streak is the most important thing, Florida won't know what hit them.
"gimme games"? historically we don't have those!

"gimme games"? historically we don't have those!

We are going to rewrite history this year. and I think Snell could pull the injury off, I have a lot of faith in his talents.

I know a guy that has perfected his limp, he has been drawing social security disability for years now.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS

That is a lot of new starters.

But of course all of them could be five stars, lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT