ADVERTISEMENT

Spectrum vs ESPN

rick64

All-American
Jan 25, 2007
Louisville, KY
Looks like ESPN is blacked out. Great timing at the start of the college football season. No SECN so no UK game tomorrow for Spectrum customers. 🤬

Reactions: GeraldV
All day I’m pumped up about watching some football. Sit down to watch UF and Utah. Lol. I guess I’m a Nebraska fan now.

If this drags on it just might push me to “cut the cord”. Plenty of streaming services out there. YouTube TV, Sling, Fubo, etc.

If this drags on it just might push me to “cut the cord”. Plenty of streaming services out there. YouTube TV, Sling, Fubo, etc.

What does keeping the cord plugged cost these days?

I bailed from Comcast Jan 2020. My rate was going from ridiculous $184 to obscene $225.

Mid tier internet + basic cable/no movie channels.

Just curious if they have tried to become more competitive since then.

Capitalism strikes again.

Sports Entertainment rights are Human rights.

My Spectrum bill is like 125 for 500 mb internet and 15 channels of my choosing, along with local. I do have ESPN/Disney/Hulu bundle too, plus the cheap tier of Netflix. So, I'm looking at 160 maybe for a lot of possible entertainment. You just have to call and talk to a human, which makes it barely worth it.

Reactions: BigBlueDave
Cutting the cord doesn’t help anymore, in terms of cost. Most of the streaming services cost more than cable now.

We have YTTV. And when we did this, it was $35/month. So it made sense. Now it’s over $75 plus the cost of internet.

ESPN keeps teasing that they are planning to start their own service for just their channels. We’ll see.

Reactions: kyeric
Quickly glanced at the live streaming services pricing. As someone posted above the cost savings isn’t there like it used to be. Hopefully Spectrum and Disney can play nice together again.

in a perfect world, ESPN would create a streaming service and I'd only have to pay for the sports I actually want to watch. Can I subscribe to the college football/basketball/PTI only channel? and really I don't watch PTI much anymore. I think those 2 and SVP are the only 3 on that channel I give a poop about.

Reactions: roguemocha
Nope. ESPN Plus absolutely, positively does not get the regular ESPN channels.

And ESPN just needs to get their own stand alone streaming service. It's really the only reason I have YTTV.

Yes it does...absolutely positively 100%.

I cannot tell you how many games I've watched on ESPN+...I'm looking at the upcoming schedule on it right now and UK vs Ball State at Noon on SECN.

This is the paid version as part of Disney/ESPN+/Hulu app bundle I have...I can watch anything that is being broadcast on any ESPN channel.

You’re definitely mistaken, if you’re watching something broadcasting from traditional ESPN it’s because you’re logged into an account that pays for traditional ESPN.

Straight from the ESPN+ website.
An ESPN+ subscription does not give you access to stream ESPN’s traditional TV networks or the content on them. To stream those networks, you need a television subscription through a cable, satellite or digital provider.

remember before the SEC Network and we had games on Raycom and Big Blue Network and JP and all that? And they were in SD and people argued that it was HD even though UK and the broadcasters made it explicitly clear that they didn't even have HD equipment?

remember before the SEC Network and we had games on Raycom and Big Blue Network and JP and all that? And they were in SD and people argued that it was HD even though UK and the broadcasters made it explicitly clear that they didn't even have HD equipment?
I remember when there were 1 or 2 college games on Saturday and that was it...and the picture quality depended on the atmospheric conditions and where your outdoor antenna was.

Cutting the cord doesn’t help anymore, in terms of cost. Most of the streaming services cost more than cable now.

We have YTTV. And when we did this, it was $35/month. So it made sense. Now it’s over $75 plus the cost of internet.

ESPN keeps teasing that they are planning to start their own service for just their channels. We’ll see.
yeah, it was odd that if you had the Disney Package, for some reason you couldn't just watch ESPN without going through a Cable Service provider or something goofy to that effect.

back in the day...

iu

I'm less concerned with price than I am convenience. Is there one service I can buy to ensure I get all UK football and basketball games? (Not you, cricket -- normal people.)

My wife spends enough a month on multiple ways to watch botoxed hens prattle on endlessly that I'm listening to absolutely no guff on what it costs to watch the Cayts without having to solve a Chinese riddle to figure out how to watch every game.

Reactions: bradyjames
Could always get one of those media boxes they sell at things like Court Days. A buddy of mine has one and he has cancelled his cable. Occasionally, one of the channels is not streaming correctly but he has quickly found another one that is. He says as long as it continues to work he will never go back to paying for cable or streaming.

Reactions: drawing_dead
I'd rather not break federal law if I can help it.
they shower you with their signal, same as over the air TV stations.

is it a crime to decode that signal? i mean, you did not ask for it to be spot-beamed to your house, and yet there it is...

I'd rather not break federal law if I can help it. I know multiple people who have gotten sued for stuff like that and the legal fees are far more than the potential savings.
They usually go after the streamers not the ones watching. In most of the media boxes, the streaming is coming from a country that it is legal. This isn't like buying a bootleg copy of a movie.

I'm less concerned with price than I am convenience. Is there one service I can buy to ensure I get all UK football and basketball games? (Not you, cricket -- normal people.)

My wife spends enough a month on multiple ways to watch botoxed hens prattle on endlessly that I'm listening to absolutely no guff on what it costs to watch the Cayts without having to solve a Chinese riddle to figure out how to watch every game.
You should try cable. I hear you just turn the TV on and pick your channel, never a problem.

Yes it does...absolutely positively 100%.

I cannot tell you how many games I've watched on ESPN+...I'm looking at the upcoming schedule on it right now and UK vs Ball State at Noon on SECN.

This is the paid version as part of Disney/ESPN+/Hulu app bundle I have...I can watch anything that is being broadcast on any ESPN channel.
If you are logged in through your ESPN Plus access and can see the tennis match between Wozniacki and Brady I will believe you. That is the main ESPN feed. There may be other matches on outer courts that you can watch with ESPN Plus but not the one on the main feed.
And after rereading you mention Hulu. If that is the Hulu Live that would be why.

Didn't know people used Spectrum still when YouTube TV exists
Been streaming for over 8 years now and never intend to go back. It's like when Charter first got cable internet in the late 90s. I already had a cell phone, so I called Sprint and told them I wanted to disconnect my land line because I only used it for dial up internet. The lady at Sprint said I was making a mistake and "YOU'LL BE BACK!" lol

Reactions: PhDcat2018

No, but really only because of 3 games (2 basketball and 1 football) per year. About 3 years ago they started putting 1 football and 2 basketball games per year ONLY on ESPN Plus. That football game this year is next week against Eastern. If you don't have access to it you won't be able to see the game no matter what cable/satellite/streaming service you have. As for the rest, pretty much any provider not currently is a pissing contest with Disney will have them.

• Love
Reactions: Hank Camacho
No, but really only because of 3 games (2 basketball and 1 football) per year. About 3 years ago they started putting 1 football and 2 basketball games per year ONLY on ESPN Plus. That football game this year is next week against Eastern. If you don't have access to it you won't be able to see the game no matter what cable/satellite/streaming service you have. As for the rest, pretty much any provider not currently is a pissing contest with Disney will have them.
Is YT TV the best one stop shop? Sorry to treat this like my personal Google but googling this stuff is remarkably unhelpful.

Reactions: roguemocha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT