ADVERTISEMENT

CBS vs ESPN

RunninRichie

All-American
Sep 5, 2019
CBS blows ESPN out of the water in broadcasting. Better cameras, crowd is more alive it feels like due to louder mics, better commentators, better scoreboard that’s easier on the eyes. nifty graphic packages, classy looking “UI” all around. The shot-clock graphic in the paint was awesome. ESPN broadcast sucks and are so low energy. Awful commentary, boring and uninspiring scoreboard. Stupid gimmick camera cuts to soft-serve ice cream. Or some celebrity in the stands. Audio is abysmal.

Last edited:
CBS blows ESPN out of the water in broadcasting. Better cameras, crowd is more alive it feels like due to louder mics, better commentators, better scoreboard that’s easier on the eyes. nifty graphic packages, classy looking “UI” all around. The shot-clock graphic in the paint was awesome. ESPN broadcast sucks and are so low energy. Awful commentary, boring and uninspiring scoreboard. Stupid gimmick camera cuts to soft-serve ice cream. Or some celebrity in the stands. Audio is abysmal.
You’re right.

I cringed so hard when Sankey pigeon holed this league into the ESPN family of networks. By and large, unless it’s CFP production, the production quality (in every respect) of CBS, NBC, and Fox blow Disney out of the water. Have you ever watched a Saturday afternoon college football ABC broadcast? It looks like you’re watching a game in 2005 on one of those massive big screens we all used to have. I thought Sankey got taken to the woodshed by Kevin Warren and the BIG. It’s really despicable and totally soured me on Sankey.

I cringed so hard when Sankey pigeon holed this league into the ESPN family of networks. By and large, unless it’s CFP production, the production quality (in every respect) of CBS, NBC, and Fox blow Disney out of the water. Have you ever watched a Saturday afternoon college football ABC broadcast? It looks like you’re watching a game in 2005 on one of those massive big screens we all used to have. I thought Sankey got taken to the woodshed by Kevin Warren and the BIG. It’s really despicable and totally soured me on Sankey.
Well said GTown Dawg. Agree completely. As the OP said, the production, presentation, announcer talent (omitting the worthless, self promoting Grant Hill who should be banished for a booth of Eagle/Wright/Raftery until Raf hangs it up) and it's going to sicken me seeing some slap dick Big Ten clown game get the CBS talent of presenting a broadcast and theme music while we fans of the SEC have Fowler/Herbstriet and other lower tier broadcast teams.

Sankey overplayed his hand and it's just stupidity. The "SEC on CBS" is what helped transform the league from being talented and great watch to the top show in the sport full of champions. ESPN will ruin it, but what else is new?

Agree.

And I have some really bad news: This was the last CBS game we get in Rupp for a long time. ESPN/ABC gets the exclusive SEC rights next year. B1G will be on CBS. Sucks because CBS has a much superior broadcast for basketball.
CBS is better overall covering college athletics. Nothing like the SEC on CBS for FB too. You knew you were getting your game on time and not being bumped for some clown game going over the moronic time slots ESPN sets for a game.

Didn’t the UNC academic fraud sour you on Sanky?

• Love
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I can’t stand ESPN broadcast. Never fails they shrink the basketball game (that we are all trying to watch) to a small window while they show a 10 minute interview in the stands to whoever happens to be there. Why in the eff do we have to see an audio interview? It’s almost as if they try as hard as they can to make the viewing as unenjoyable as they can, UNLESS it’s a Duke/UNC matchup then it’s all hands on deck including the only time they will schedule 2.5 hours from one game to the next. Cannot miss a second of that precious broadcast 🤮

Agree. ESPN is awful.

Adding Jay Wright helps even more. The dude is already really good in only his first year doing this …and will only get better as he gains experience.
Wright is truly a class act. Smart, insightful, calm, unbiased. Dude has soared to the top of my preferred commentators. He doesn’t have an ego he has to show off any chance he can get.

CBS covers the sport (football and basketball) first and foremost.

ESPN spends more time with their commentators and gimmmicks trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator viewer or draw in more casual non diehard sport viewers. They know the poll who actually love the game and know the game are going to watch anyways even if they complain about “talk about the game not all this stuff that doesn’t matter”.

CBS covers the sport (football and basketball) first and foremost.

ESPN spends more time with their commentators and gimmmicks trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator viewer or draw in more casual non diehard sport viewers. They know the poll who actually love the game and know the game are going to watch anyways even if they complain about “talk about the game not all this stuff that doesn’t matter”.
Yeah. CBS is a real professional broadcast. They're there for the game, players, and coaches. ESPN is there for the soft-serve, celeb in the stands, announcer's outside life, plugging new books to buy.

CBS has the greatest production value and by far better look. Game Analyst droends on preference. But generally better on CBS for Wrights thoughts alone. Bilas is the best ESPN has a while decent I guess gets annoying at times . CBS own the tourney so they should be better I guess
Bilas has gotten so smug and full of himself in recent years, he annoys the crap out of me now.

Jay Wright already kicks his ass in his very first season, he’s much more insightful and more enjoyable to listen to.

Bilas has gotten so smug and full of himself in recent years, he annoys the crap out of me now.

Jay Wright already kicks his ass in his very first season, he’s much more insightful and more enjoyable to listen to.
Bilas's voice is so annoying.

Reactions: fisherscatfan
Wright is great. Was a great coach and now he’s a great analyst. Hopefully he stays with it.

Reactions: UK90
However ............... when the early game goes over 2 Hrs. ESPN has ESPN News. CBS has you miss the first
several minutes. Makes me crazy................ then makes my wife is crazy then makes me hit the bourbon
or vodka way to early................. just saying!!!!!!!

I like how they had 2.5hrs dedicated to the game, not 2 like ESPN with all their bs and see the start on the app, etc... How many games end in exactly 2hrs?

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
It’s because they can afford it with all those ads during the game.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
I watch every game and enjoy them. I don't get pissed about the broadcast or the announcers. Some people obviously have more time on their hands to get pissed about everything than I do.

Reactions: SpamburgerHamburger
I agree. CBS is better in pretty much every way. One of the biggest differences is that their primary talking heads are at least attempting to be unbiased. ESPN has WAY too many ACC connections. Their Duke and UNC, and ACC in general, ties make them unwilling (maybe unable) to be unbiased toward a team like UK. Aside from this, the production itself is just better quality. I almost can't even stomach watching (and listening) to the ESPN broadcasts. The last couple times I've watched them, I've just turned the volume down. I've tried to sync the Leach audio. It has worked a couple times, but sometimes it doesn't work very well.

Ian Eagle and Kevin Harlan for CBS blow anybody out of the water that ESPN can muster. Nessler is very good too. AND Jim Nantz(I think hes retired now actually).

I read that as "("Sankey pigeon") holed", so I was about to search for someone named "Sankey Pigeon".

Reactions: GermantownDawg
What makes my mad with ESPN, is the video quality. It just sucks compared to CBS and Fox. And ESPN has a 4K HDR channel that is awesome, but only one or two games a week are on it. Usually the big Sat night game and one other marquee game during the week. They have everything to do it more often.

CBS has the best Football and Basketball coverage. ESPN hates us and we never start on time with them. They always make sure to schedule either Duke, UNC or Kansas before us and our game starts on ESPN News or ESPN 2...NEVER FRIKKIN FAILS!

Either of those teams could be up by 28 with 1:27 to go and they wouldn't cut away. They have to spend that time kissing their assess and slobbering all over them and how great they are

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT