ADVERTISEMENT

Spectrum fans alike, need advice

wobycat

Sophomore
Sep 1, 2003
Apparently Disney/ESPN have gotten too expensive for my provider, not sure why, I send them my 3/4 of my first pay check monthly. But I digress, does anyone have an idea, how I can watch the SEC network?

Bump. Thoughts on YouTube tv please. Is it easy to setup?
I’ve had YouTube TV for a few years now. If you have a smart TV, it’s simple. If you don’t have a smart tv, just buy a Roku stick, put it in the side of your TV, and YouTube tv is right there on the Roku stick.

My mom is in her 70’s and had zero issues. It’s really easy.

I have YouTubeTV. I get the standard package. The only station I would want is the MLB network and Bally.,4K is extra. Ypu can share it in your Google family and split the cost. I have my mom and grandmother on my family. They can watch my YT TV with their Google profile. Overall I like it. I've heard that FUBO is best for sports.

I’ve had YouTube TV for a few years now. If you have a smart TV, it’s simple. If you don’t have a smart tv, just buy a Roku stick, put it in the side of your TV, and YouTube tv is right there on the Roku stick.

In a pinch, you could also use a laptop. If your laptop has an HDMI port, then you can just pull up YouTube TV on the laptop and then connect to the TV via the HDMI cable (or screen mirroring over wi-fi if the TV has that feature).

The laptop approach might get annoying long term, but if folks just want to sign up for the YouTube TV free trial and wait and see if the Spectrum issue gets resolved, then using a laptop would save them the trouble of getting a Roku stick (assuming they have a laptop already).

Had YouTube TV for a couple of years now and love it. Got rid of Spectrum with zero regrets. YouTube TV is extremely easy to set up and you need no hardware or cables, just a Wi-Fi connection.

Most any streaming service is easy to set up and use. Pick the one that has the channels you watch most and you will be fine. I’ve had Hulu live for several years and it’s great. Most have trial period so it’s no risk except for the Roku if you don’t have a smart tv. I would look at the channel selection and give one a try. You can’t really screw it up.

Reactions: Girthang

I've had youtube TV. It was OK. Not good enough to switch from Fubo at the time, but now fubo is ridiculous so we're considering hulu+ or youtube TV again.

Fubo was great at first. Awesome DVR and ability to record multiple programs at once, including local, live programming. 1000 hrs of dvr storage. Ease of scheduling and notifications worked for us. No bullsht packages or extra charges for dvr and such.... AT FIRST. Now we're over 110$ per month for what we had at $70, the dvr isn't trustworthy, some live content is restricted, even if Fubo gives me the option to record it....

The only good thing with Fubo is the dvr, when it works, allows me to save games indefinitely.

Sling was a mess before that. Started off great, like fubo. Dvr, multiple sports packages etc. Fairly inexpensive. Then they separated everything into separate pricing. Pay extra for dvr levels and storage. Orange and blue plans both required to get all of the sports channels and basic programming of cable. Then you have the tiff between NFL network and sling, just like there was between NFL and directv a few years before that and led us to switch.

The REAL killer with Sling was that I couldn't watch the same game in more than one room, if it was on ESPN. Then I also couldn't watch on separate devices or locations. Then I couldn't record programming to dvr.... WHILE the bill kept going UP.

Iirc the problems I had with you tube TV were all related to the dvr and watching in various locations. When I was on the road, I couldn't watch it. Tried a lot of different devices. Always got complicated or impossible. Dvr was quirky and would jump in large chunks, if not all the way to the beginning or end of content. Also seemed to be missing channels of value.

I watch European leagues soccer, so I still have to have more than one streaming platform to do so.

We also used a VPN successfully for a year to watch content from any market we wished. That gravy train lost its wheels within a year, but it was glorious for a little while as I was traveling to different countries. Never had any trouble with content during the first 4 months of that 12 month period. Then the providers launched a full scale war on the VPN companies until we could no longer use it no matter where we were. (THAT is how I could get real world news for a few years still, though. THAT was eye-opening. Couldn't open any US content from Canada, Australia, or Europe while there without the VPN. Not even this site. Same for much of the world from the US.)

ANYWAY, Hulu+ looks like it might be the best option for us at 70+ dollars per month, but we're looking for feedback on other users' recent experiences with YT.TV, sling, and such before we switch

Reactions: Fox2monk
In a pinch, you could also use a laptop. If your laptop has an HDMI port, then you can just pull up YouTube TV on the laptop and then connect to the TV via the HDMI cable (or screen mirroring over wi-fi if the TV has that feature).

The laptop approach might get annoying long term, but if folks just want to sign up for the YouTube TV free trial and wait and see if the Spectrum issue gets resolved, then using a laptop would save them the trouble of getting a Roku stick (assuming they have a laptop already).

We mirrored a game through my friend's Android onto a TV at a Lexington bar once, when their satellite TV went out. The bar used roku devices, so we just had to find the right device for the TV close to us and we were good to go. That was either with Peacock or Fubo. Great quality too. Totally surprised at the quality and that it worked at all.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Hulu live with Disney and ESPN+ is a much better deal but.... And it's a big but.... The app isn't nearly as refined as YouTube tv. It's kind of buggy and you need to have technical skills imo. I run hulu because it’s a better deal and the quirks don’t bother me. Oh and recently YouTube tv has split screen so you can watch 4 games at once, which hulu doesn’t have. If you split with a family member YouTube is probably a better deal.

This is what I am trying. If I end up sticking with it, I'll probably get ROKU.

Apparently Disney/ESPN have gotten too expensive for my provider, not sure why, I send them my 3/4 of my first pay check monthly. But I digress, does anyone have an idea, how I can watch the SEC network?
Call them and tell them you won’t pay for the service they don’t provide at the moment. Save some cash in the meantime but try streaming. Sounds like you would save some good money.

Reactions: wobycat
Using YouTube free trial. Hopefully they get this figured out before it ends.
Youtube tv works, but I don't like interface. If they get agreements, I'll keep spectrum. There's not that much savings between them

I'm doing the Youtube trial. It's just 5 days now instead of 30. I'm sure they are making sure people don't get the trial and watch a month of NFL. Anyway, I wondered if there is an easier way to fast forward and rewind? All I see right now is to be able to do it in increments instead of second by second, etc.. I guess you can only do it in 10 or 15 second increments since its internet TV? Big downer when it comes to viewing Sports IMO.

For a few years, YouTube TV was the best and cheapest.

Then, they added some garbage and jacked up the price. Then, they did it again.

Then, their ESPN fight led to another price increase.

Then, then they lost MLB network.

Over the last 24 months, it has really lost some of its shine to me.

For a few years, YouTube TV was the best and cheapest.

Then, they added some garbage and jacked up the price. Then, they did it again.

Then, their ESPN fight led to another price increase.

Then, then they lost MLB network.

Over the last 24 months, it has really lost some of its shine to me.

That's what I'm afraid of. I love my DirecTV, especially now that they switch you to streamig content when the weather gets bad. I'm afraid I'll cut DTV, send all the equipment back and be near the same price in a couple of years with all the fights DTV has already gotten past coming to YoutubeTV.

Reactions: UKUGA
I wish you could pick the channels you want like a buffet. I realize I’m going to pay more for certain channels. Like the roast beef costs more than the slice of pie. Hate paying money for channels I’m not even remotely interested in watching.

Reactions: hmt5000 and UKUGA
I wish you could pick the channels you want like a buffet. I realize I’m going to pay more for certain channels. Like the roast beef costs more than the slice of pie. Hate paying money for channels I’m not even remotely interested in watching.
Right!... And that was what streaming was supposed to solve. LOL.

Youtube tv is the way to go.

Most problems would be solved if ESPN would just come up with a streaming service that gave you all of their channels. Probably would be a ton of subscribers that would drop every cable/satellite/streaming service just to have all the ESPN channels. I'd pay like $20 a month for those and be able to watch all my football and basketball games. I don't really want or need the other 100+ random stations.

Most problems would be solved if ESPN would just come up with a streaming service that gave you all of their channels. Probably would be a ton of subscribers that would drop every cable/satellite/streaming service just to have all the ESPN channels. I'd pay like $20 a month for those and be able to watch all my football and basketball games. I don't really want or need the other 100+ random stations.
LOL. Yea.

I think the biggest difference between hulu and yt tv is the 4 game multiview, and I read a review that said you can't fast forward/skip commercials on your dvr's with hulu live...like you can with yt tv.

The problem is that it would cost more than $20/month. ESPN+ already costs $10 a month to watch all of the sports that aren't on ESPN or SEC. I'd be willing to bet that the portion of what everyone pays for a service, whichever one you have, for ESPN and SEC/ACC, etc. is at least $30 of the bill. I have no facts on that, but we can all acknowledge that is why most of us have any tv service, cable, youtubetv, dish or whatever is to watch live sports. You can get networks with an antenna like we use to before cable existed.

Our city went to Spectrum for cable. Connection was so bad u couldn’t watch a commercial without losing connection. I cancelled n went YouTube n absolutely love it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT