ADVERTISEMENT

Southern Miss Prediction Thread

38-21 with Southern Miss scoring a late TD... Brett Favre completes a Hail Mary as time expires.

Okay minus the Favre/Hail Mary.

Reactions: UKDUNK
I predict USM covers the spread but still falls short to UK 31-24. I am basing this on the fact the UK dline has improved this year. IF the Eagles quarterback has no turnovers and the USM dline is as good as billed, then the Eagles have shot to make this game a tossup. Treat this game as if you're about to play Mizzou, Arkansas, or Vandy. You will see as much if not more athletism compared to last years team. If UK does manage to win, which on paper at least should, treat it as a good dress rehersal for SEC play.

I predict USM covers the spread but still falls short to UK 31-24. I am basing this on the fact the UK dline has improved this year. IF the Eagles quarterback has no turnovers and the USM dline is as good as billed, then the Eagles have shot to make this game a tossup. Treat this game as if you're about to play Mizzou, Arkansas, or Vandy. You will see as much if not more athletism compared to last years team. If UK does manage to win, which on paper at least should, treat it as a good dress rehersal for SEC play.
I don't think you all are better than last year and you all went down hill after our game. UK returns 17 starters and essentially the entire team that beat Louisville and went 4-4 in the SEC.

Reactions: BigBoyBlueMMA
You didn't face the real UK team last year. You will in 2 weeks. I expect a 17+ point win. Good luck with Benny, you'll need it.

Lack of size and depth on our dline and our qb getting hurt cost us at least 3 games last year. The dline is markedly improved and athletically USM is actually better. That being said, breaking in a new qb against an SEC team that I think can win 8 games minimum is a very tall task. Had USM played UK later in the year, the result could definitely been different.

I am very high on this years Cats and excited as most but still, I expect a hard fought win, something like 37-27! Gotta respect SM, they came into our place and smacked us, I just don't see how we can expect them to be pushovers at all.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
Lack of size and depth on our dline and our qb getting hurt cost us at least 3 games last year. The dline is markedly improved and athletically USM is actually better. That being said, breaking in a new qb against an SEC team that I think can win 8 games minimum is a very tall task. Had USM played UK later in the year, the result could definitely been different.
Your QB is gone so him being hurt last year is mute when talking about the upcoming game. Your d line is going up against a strong offense that can rack up points. Our QBs are experienced and our play makers are talented.

Your QB is gone so him being hurt last year is mute when talking about the upcoming game. Your d line is going up against a strong offense that can rack up points. Our QBs are experienced and our play makers are talented.
And we have some of the best LB's in the nation.

Reactions: BigBoyBlueMMA
I'd say a 10 point or less margin of victory. Our guys remind me of the great defensive teams of 80s that took down great opponents. That said UK will be one if the better teams to ever visit Hattiesburg and a UK victory wouldn't surprise me but is not guaranteed. Can't wait!

Reactions: dn12005
Let's hope for good weather. 9/2 is peak hurricane season. I went through Georges while living at USM...missed 3 days of class but at least still had power...I want to say that was Tim Couch's last year...

We should be a better team than last year but the question is how much better. I think Houston's comparison to Vandy and Mizzou is pretty accurate. If we expect to compete with the UT's and Florida's on our schedule then we should win by at least 10 points on the road to a very respectable Southern Miss team. Anything less is cause for concern. I think we win by a pretty good margin based a lot on the fact that we are returning just about everybody from a bowl team last year and they are breaking in a new QB and several other players. It might be closer later in the year but I think we smack them in the opener.

UK 45
USM 21

Reactions: Mike-D
I like it! Hope your team over looks the Golden Eagles again like their fans obviously are. I think it will be a close game for 2-1/2 to 3 quarters and then the conditioning and heat take over for some late Kentucky turnovers. 31-21 USM

I like it! Hope your team over looks the Golden Eagles again like their fans obviously are. I think it will be a close game for 2-1/2 to 3 quarters and then the conditioning and heat take over for some late Kentucky turnovers. 31-21 USM
if we get behind your team then I definitely can see the heat being a factor! If we(UK) get ahead early then it becomes less of a factor. Happy players won't pay as much attention to the heat as would struggling players trying to play catch up. I am one Cat fan that thinks you can win again,can! I don't expect it but we shall see! What ever the score I am sure that both teams will compete!

Reactions: birdofprey67
I'd say a 10 point or less margin of victory. Our guys remind me of the great defensive teams of 80s that took down great opponents. That said UK will be one if the better teams to ever visit Hattiesburg and a UK victory wouldn't surprise me but is not guaranteed. Can't wait!
I get the distinct impression you think the team you played last year is similar to the team you're about to face. It isn't.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
I don't buy into any heat factor this time of year, if we were to lose it won't be because of the heat :cheers2:
well I will NEVER forget how hot it was in the Swamp last year and if it's anything like that then it could be a major factor! Just different than KY hot!

UK-13, SM-7 at halftime. Wildcat fans are nervous, D plays well but gives up a long run for a TD. Cats move the ball with ease between the 20s with Conrad catches over the middle and WC runs but get bogged down in the red zone. SJ makes some plays but struggles to get in rhythm after some drops by WRs, some fans start calling for Barker. Stoops/Gran walk into the locker room pissed at missed opportunities.

UK D forces a turnover early in the 3rd Q. OL comes out fired up and Snell starts doing his thing. SM can't stop the WIldcat and RPO, closer into the box they go. A couple of new faces make some big catches in play action for SJ and the Cats start scoring TDs. SM has some rushing success but QB struggles and outstanding UK pass D make them one dimensional. J Jones unleashes built up berserker energy and is everywhere. Wildcats get their revenge and go home happy.

Final score: UK 48, SM 17

The only way I see the game being within 10 pts is SM can run the ball effectively control the clock and keep UK's offense on the sideline and wear the defensive front down. If they can't run the ball and are forced to throw, it will get ugly. Do they have a running clock in college?

Reactions: SanAntonioCat
I don't buy into any heat factor this time of year, if we were to lose it won't be because of the heat :cheers2:
It's literally 110-120 degrees on our field when it's 90-95 degrees outside. We have field turf and it has those little black rubber pellets in it. You can feel it burning through the bottom of your shoes after you stand on it for a few minutes. Our guys have been practicing on it in the heat of the day, your guys haven't, not to mention the 80 percent humidity. Heat will be a factor.

It's literally 110-120 degrees on our field when it's 90-95 degrees outside. We have field turf and it has those little black rubber pellets in it. You can feel it burning through the bottom of your shoes after you stand on it for a few minutes. Our guys have been practicing on it in the heat of the day, your guys haven't, not to mention the 80 percent humidity. Heat will be a factor.

We have the same here, turf, pellets etc. I lived in Louisiana long time, I know heat and from what I've seen we have been practicing in the heat of the day as well. Summers here are just as hot, cramping is the only thing that will bring the players down :beer:

Reactions: ORCAT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT