ADVERTISEMENT

Southeastern 14

They have the talent to make a splash.

Fland and Big Z are first round picks. Davis is solid. Brazile, Thiero, Aidoo are all high-level role players. Richmond and Knox are solid at the 3 spot. Wagner has potential, obviously.

But I'm not sure how they will all fit together. Wagner, Davis, and Fland are all ball-dominant guards. Knox will expect touches and shots. How will Thiero feel backing up Brazile at the 4? How will Aidoo feel backing up Big Z at the 5?

On paper, they have the talent to win it all. But we had the talent to win it all (and more of it) in 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2022, 2024, etc.

Unless Cal finds a way to get Anthony Davis some more eligibility, I think Arkansas fans will be in for a "shoot for the stars/crash in the lake" kind of rocket experiment.

Reactions: CASblue
Total fabrication. Davis is legit. Agree on the rest. The JQ miss was a big hit to Cal's team.
Agree that Davis is a good player. But he is overrated. He will be a solid back up in the NBA one day. He can get you 20 on any night in College but doubt he averages anywhere close to 20 this year. He might pre SEC. Some good defensive guards await him on many teams.

Agree that Davis is a good player. But he is overrated. He will be a solid back up in the NBA one day. He can get you 20 on any night in College but doubt he averages anywhere close to 20 this year. He might pre SEC. Some good defensive guards await him on many teams.
He lit people up in the tournament. Were those not good defensive guards?

Fland and Big Z are first round picks. Davis is solid. Brazile, Thiero, Aidoo are all high-level role players. Richmond and Knox are solid at the 3 spot. Wagner has potential, obviously.

But I'm not sure how they will all fit together. Wagner, Davis, and Fland are all ball-dominant guards. Knox will expect touches and shots. How will Thiero feel backing up Brazile at the 4? How will Aidoo feel backing up Big Z at the 5?

On paper, they have the talent to win it all. But we had the talent to win it all (and more of it) in 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2022, 2024, etc.

Unless Cal finds a way to get Anthony Davis some more eligibility, I think Arkansas fans will be in for a "shoot for the stars/crash in the lake" kind of rocket experiment.
Aidou will not be backing up anyone.

G Wagner
G Fland/Knox
G Davis/Richmond
F Brazille/Thiero
F Aidoo/Ivisic

Three ball dominant guards.

At least Aidoo and Brazille are known SEC level dudes who can handle the physicality of the league.

Good mix of veterans and talent. Reminds me of the ‘23 team a little in that regard.

The bench is where the problem lies, and I’m not talking about the reserves. LOL!

Reactions: CrimsonCats
He lit people up in the tournament. Were those not good defensive guards?
i will watch him closer this year. He is good. Not unstoppable. I looked at game by game stats this year. He had several good games, several bad games and tons of average games. I have seen that way too many times.

He only scored in single digits 2 or 3 times so he is a lot like Reeves in that stat. Had a couple of big games (like Reeves). He is good. He will help Arkansas. Not the next coming of the Dude or anything like that. After his college career is over I will never hear about him again.

I do not follow guys (even our own) after college, mainly due to how bad the NBA product has become, constant ball carries (giving the offense way too much advantage), too much walking, too much cry baby types.

the 70's through 90's are over. The NBA is just bad. I hope one day to want to watch again but as of right now no way.

Billy Richmond won't provide much. Many talk about his defense but he'll be physically outmatched against college players. He relies on fastbreak opportunities for most scoring and his outside shooting is avg at best. Personally, I think Richmond lacks the fundamentals to contribute early.

We'll see. Brazile is just as good as him, if not better. Aidoo and Big Z might also give Cal that twin towers frontcourt he loves so much.

I could see Thiero being thrown to the wolves in this rotation.
I could see Thiero starting at the 3 honestly. Just depends on the lineup and situation.

I could see Thiero starting at the 3 honestly. Just depends on the lineup and situation.
But you're still missing the point. If you start Thiero at the 3, then you're bringing two of Knox, Davis, Fland, Wagner off the bench.

All of those guys will expect major minutes.

You Razorback fans are doing what we Kentucky fans did for years - you're leaving out the "human factor" on two fronts. First, there is the human factor of what Cal promises to these kids while recruiting them - minutes and the pledge of "I can't hide you" (i.e., I promise to play you).

Then there is the other human element, which we in BBN know more expressly as Cal's unlimited fallibility when it comes to coaching in high-pressure scenarios.

Your fan base will find out soon enough.

I could be wrong, but from what I remember Southeastern 14 should probably stick to football. They're good at that.

i will watch him closer this year. He is good. Not unstoppable. I looked at game by game stats this year. He had several good games, several bad games and tons of average games. I have seen that way too many times.

He only scored in single digits 2 or 3 times so he is a lot like Reeves in that stat. Had a couple of big games (like Reeves). He is good. He will help Arkansas. Not the next coming of the Dude or anything like that. After his college career is over I will never hear about him again.

I do not follow guys (even our own) after college, mainly due to how bad the NBA product has become, constant ball carries (giving the offense way too much advantage), too much walking, too much cry baby types.

the 70's through 90's are over. The NBA is just bad. I hope one day to want to watch again but as of right now no way.
The NBA sucks ass for sure. It died when Kobe retired in 2016.

Will Cal coach Brazile up? So they will have Aidoo at the five, Brazile or Thiero at the 4? Knox at the three, Davis at the two and Wagner at the one. With Big Z, Fland and Richmond rounding out the bench.

Will Cal coach Brazile up? So they will have Aidoo at the five, Brazile or Thiero at the 4? Knox at the three, Davis at the two and Wagner at the one. With Big Z, Fland and Richmond rounding out the bench.
Has Cal ever coached anyone up? Seriously. For a one year player, that's difficult to say. But for those who stayed multiple years - does anyone remember any player getting significantly better where you knew it was the result of the coaching they received? For many years now, the players who wanted to get better knew it wouldn't happen at UK and they left.

Most any Cal coached team is a "contender" due to the talent. We know how that turns out way more than not.

Good thing about all that talent though is you always have a punchers chance in any fight.

There is no debating our old coach put together a great roster there. Sucks, cause he wouldn't have got that roster here

But it's Cal. We all know how this goes. He has a great roster, but not a generational talent. He needs that to win big

He is a horrible in game coach, all around. Plays wrong line ups, doesn't make adjustments. We all know how this ends. 2nd or 3rd round flameout to a lower seed

There is no debating our old coach put together a great roster there. Sucks, cause he wouldn't have got that roster here

But it's Cal. We all know how this goes. He has a great roster, but not a generational talent. He needs that to win big

He is a horrible in game coach, all around. Plays wrong line ups, doesn't make adjustments. We all know how this ends. 2nd or 3rd round flameout to a lower seed
1st round.

Says Arkansas is a title contender with the addition of Trevon Brazile. Wtf?
A title contender for what, the top team in the state of Arkansas? This Arkansas team doesn't have any more talent, probably less talent that the majority of Calipari teams have had over the last 9 years & how many titles has he won during this time

I said when they hired him they would have been a lot better off getting a young and up and coming coach. A guy like that would have focused on winning a championship as a top priority and would have just been a better X's and O's coach. Someone at AR just got suckered in with the top recruiting classes.

Reactions: stuway
I mentioned yesterday why I still have interest in Cal and his current job... How bad is he going to miss-manage this roster?

I know...I know...I shouldn't worry about a former coach (and some former players), but I want to see if Cal has changed his ways; or if he's still going to "be Cal"?

Reactions: RunninRichie
I mentioned yesterday why I still have interest in Cal and his current job... How bad is he going to miss-manage this roster?

I know...I know...I shouldn't worry about a former coach (and some former players), but I want to see if Cal has changed his ways; or if he's still going to "be Cal"?
He recently told AR, again, it's about the players. And they all clapped again! So I doubt it. They know not what they clapping for!

Reactions: CASblue
They do have a pretty good collection of talent on paper even if I have a few questions about how they’ll make it all fit together. The disconnect is that we’ve all lost any faith in Cal to get even a talented team to the finish line while most of the national media still seem to view him as a big time coach. We’ll see who ends up being right about that, but I’m pretty confident in my appraisal of him at the moment.

They have a roster of last years’ Kentucky squad minus the talent, Kentucky’s Freshman class minus the best player, and the most overrated portal addition in Davis, should be a banner year for the Razorbacks
Davis isn’t over rated but PG depth, and overall depth will be an issue. Only having 9 players isn’t a great recipe for Cal with his injury history and they will have a harder time running legit practice scrimmages IMO.

What would happen in here if Cal makes a final 4 in his first season there?
To me it would only strengthen my thoughts about how he squandered multiple years of great talent (and great teams) for his own agenda(s) with the administration, alumni, and donors.

You finally inter-twine elite freshmen with seasoned vets to get a final four...why couldn't you do that at UK? Oh, no one was giving you NIL money...well suck it up and do your job, and meet the obligations with the boosters, and donors that fund that program.
JMHO

What would happen in here if Cal makes a final 4 in his first season there?
Cal lacked motivation at UK and so it is possible, but not probable, that it could happen.

Sometimes a person just needs a change of scenery to rekindle the fire.

But I just don’t see it happening.

Reactions: gharding07
He recently told AR, again, it's about the players. And they all clapped again! So I doubt it. They know not what they clapping for!
There are definitely some who don't realize Cal's main focus is getting these kids into the League BUT there are a lot who do understand the philosophy . I myself look forward to the NBA farm team and see where it goes from there . This years team to me has a nice balance of transfers , returning players(AT BIG Z DW) and Frosh .

Davis is OK, but not the best player in the transfer portal as ranked by many. Jaxson Robinson is a better player than Davis, IMO
Man no way you believe that…not trying to be “a troll” or whatever but that’s such an incredible statement that I just refuse to believe you believe that to be true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT