ADVERTISEMENT

Soup Talk !!!

Really good Mr. JD, this was my MOM's recipe. We got tired of buying buttermilk then throwing the rest away. Let me know what you think if you make it, I live over in the D league!!😂😂😂😂
Will do. I've never had such a thing as leftover buttermilk though. I usually finish up what cornbread is left with a glass of buttermilk and cornbread. I can drink it straight up too.

Reactions: cordmaker
The seafood-less Jambalaya came out very good. If you want to add shrimp, I'm sure you can just toss it in. But it's good for picky eaters and it takes 45 min, start to finish.

Going to grab some English short ribs and try to find some fresh ramen at the local asian grocery store, to try and make this French Onion Beef Noodle Soup. https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/french-onion-beef-noodle-soup

0220-French-Onion-Soup-single-lede.jpg

A must have piece of equipment for soups is the Dutch Oven. A generic pasta pot just doesn't cut it. You need that enamel-coated cast-iron, good for searing the meat at the start.

Doesn't need to be those $400 Le Cruesets (although I want one badly).. Just one from Amazon for $60. Make sure it's 5-quarts minimum, but preferably 6 or 7-quarts.

And all of your larger chain grocery stores will have a small magazine section. 99% chance they will have a seasonal "Soup and Stew" magazine from Food Network or something similar. $10, for 80 recipes. Sure, you can find them all online, but I've found the if you really want to expand your cooking.. you need to READ through recipes, not just google the ones you want to make. You'll never see something like Beef noodle soup above.

I just picked up 3lbs of those short ribs, and I forget how much more expensive your local butcher can be. $37 for the ribs lol.

I better make this one count or I'll be down like $60 hahaha.

Reactions: roguemocha
One thing I never understood working at Panera were the people that would come in during the summer, order a large bowl of soup, and then sit out on the patio when it was 90+ out to eat it. Same when I worked at Starbucks and people would come through and order venti black coffees on super hot days on their way to the golf course. The last thing I want when I'm golfing is a cup of coffee.

A must have piece of equipment for soups is the Dutch Oven. A generic pasta pot just doesn't cut it. You need that enamel-coated cast-iron, good for searing the meat at the start.

Doesn't need to be those $400 Le Cruesets (although I want one badly).. Just one from Amazon for $60. Make sure it's 5-quarts minimum, but preferably 6 or 7-quarts.

And all of your larger chain grocery stores will have a small magazine section. 99% chance they will have a seasonal "Soup and Stew" magazine from Food Network or something similar. $10, for 80 recipes. Sure, you can find them all online, but I've found the if you really want to expand your cooking.. you need to READ through recipes, not just google the ones you want to make. You'll never see something like Beef noodle soup above.
There's an enamel 7.3 quart dutch oven down the street here at a thrift store for $25. Brand new in the box. I'm gonna scoop it up if someone hasn't already. It's a heck of a deal. It's an Amazon Basics model but is solid and heavy.

Reactions: JDHoss and GeraldV
There's an enamel 7.3 quart dutch oven down the street here at a thrift store for $25. Brand new in the box. I'm gonna scoop it up if someone hasn't already. It's a heck of a deal. It's an Amazon Basics model but is solid and heavy.

Oh do it for sure. Assuming it's in good condition and doesn't have any big scratches on the enamel on the inside.

There really isn't much of a difference between the $50 one and the $400 one. At least nothing you're going to notice in the finished meal.

I actually just found a 6qt one in my garage from our wedding. I was using a 5qt Denby, and there are definitely some recipes that almost overflow it. Plus the bigger they are the more space there is for searing meat in batches.

Reactions: ganner918
Oh do it for sure. Assuming it's in good condition and doesn't have any big scratches on the enamel on the inside.

There really isn't much of a difference between the $50 one and the $400 one. At least nothing you're going to notice in the finished meal.

I actually just found a 6qt one in my garage from our wedding. I was using a 5qt Denby, and there are definitely some recipes that almost overflow it. Plus the bigger they are the more space there is for searing meat in batches.

They're also very useful for deep frying.

I also have an 8qt stainless steel "dutch oven" (that's what it was advertised as), it's a bit shallower than my cast iron one but has a 12" flat surface to sear or sautee on and still deep enough to use for a soup or stew. I made a vegetable soup in it tonight.

Reactions: JDHoss
They're also very useful for deep frying.

I also have an 8qt stainless steel "dutch oven" (that's what it was advertised as), it's a bit shallower than my cast iron one but has a 12" flat surface to sear or sautee on and still deep enough to use for a soup or stew. I made a vegetable soup in it tonight.

Man I want to try frying stuff like that.. but it seems like such a mess, and where do you put all that excess oil once it's done?

I'm a big sucker for easy cooking. If it's a one pot meal, crock pit, anything quick, small prep.. I'm all for it.

Man I want to try frying stuff like that.. but it seems like such a mess, and where do you put all that excess oil once it's done?

I'm a big sucker for easy cooking. If it's a one pot meal, crock pit, anything quick, small prep.. I'm all for it.
I haven't fried in a while, but I'd just pour the oil back in the bottle with a funnel, use it a few times. Then just fill up the bottle and put it in the trash when done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT