ADVERTISEMENT

Soup Talk !!!

Pho is VERY good. There's a solid Vietnamese place that opened near me, Their Pho is out of this world.

I have to start saving some of the recipes I randomly find. I cant find the Sausage Tortellini one I made. I guess any recipe you find will do. I prefer soups that "eat like a meal".. so one with pasta, cheese AND meat, is always a good one to fill you up. I love a good tomato soup.. but, you really need to add a Grilled Cheese otherwise it just isnt filling enough.

There’s a place here in town considered the best Pho, first time I went in 80% of the people eating there were Asian and no one that worked there barely spoke any English. Figured this place was probably legit 😂 I do appreciate all those places getting more popular up here though. Just had a Ramen place open up about a mile from my house, that is a fantastic dish.
Mo Pho is bitchin’ !! 😎

• Haha
Reactions: AustinTXCat
Pho is VERY good. There's a solid Vietnamese place that opened near me, Their Pho is out of this world.

I have to start saving some of the recipes I randomly find. I cant find the Sausage Tortellini one I made. I guess any recipe you find will do. I prefer soups that "eat like a meal".. so one with pasta, cheese AND meat, is always a good one to fill you up. I love a good tomato soup.. but, you really need to add a Grilled Cheese otherwise it just isnt filling enough.
Certainly not officially soups, but regards “eat like a meal” … I like chili and oatmeal that are thick enough to pass the spoon verticality test at medium depth penetration. Some bean and potato soups can be that thick and hearty !!!

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Certainly not officially soups, but regards “eat like a meal” … I like chili and oatmeal that are thick enough to pass the spoon verticality test at medium depth penetration. Some bean and potato soups can be that thick and hearty !!!

That is true, Beans and complex carbs like oatmeal can certainly eat like a meal.

Fun story about that Tortellini soup. When my wife put the rest into leftover containers, she put the dutch oven lid back on and walked away. The next day, she must have put the dutch oven away, without remembering there was still remnants of the soup as we didn't wash it.

Fast forward like two weeks, I pull it out to go cook again and was welcomed to this grey-black decaying soup remnants that smelt like liquid death. I almost just threw the entire thing out.

Reactions: megablue
-love making soup. Used to make my own stock... maybe again when the nest empties.

Buy a copy of this and thank me later:

-also, if you don't have one get an immersion blender for creamy soups/bisque... so much easier than a food processor. A lot less fussy than a sieve and pestle... although I'll break that out when I'm hosting a proper dinner party.

Last edited:
Chicken lips and feet soup, because I am poor! When I sell enough beer cans, I will buy one can of broth to flavor my soup.
We were lucky to have water soup when I was a kid. On special occasions, we'd even have enough firewood to heat it up! Otherwise, we ate it cold. Still, nothing hits the spot these days like a tin of water soup.

-love making soup. Used to make my own stock... maybe again when the nest empties.

-also, if you don't have one get an immersion blender for creamy soups/bisque... so much easier than a food processor. A lot less fussy than a sieve and pestle... although I'll break that out when I'm hosting a proper dinner party.
THANK YOU for sharing this Soup Bible with your Brothren here … !! 😎

Reactions: JDHoss and rudd1
Tomato Basil with Cheese Tortellini topped with Parmesan cheese. Simple. Fairly decent.

420080640_10230091857621041_2457341199729634250_n.jpg

Plan on making @cordmaker Stale Bread soup here soon.

ATX, I gave you the recipe over in the D league didn't I?
Yes, below is your recipe:

Stale Bread Soup
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1- Large onion
4-5 cloves garlic 1-large can crushed tomatoes
1- small can diced tomatoes
1- Qt. chicken stock
2- cans drained white beans
1- Loaf French bread

Coat bottom of pot with EVOO
Add chopped onions and garlic to pot and cook for a few minutes.
Add tomatoes and chicken stock, bring to boil.
Add the beans, salt , pepper to taste
Add pieces of bread and serve

Thanks!

3 "soups" currently in the rotation on the homestead...regular chili, white bean chicken chili, and smoked sausage bean.

Found a slow cooker clam chowder recipe that will be playing with soon.

Made this one yesterday. Easy and good in cold weather
7 can chicken taco soup

1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 can sweet corn
1 12.5 oz canned shredded chicken breast
1 10oz can green enchilada sauce
1 packet taco seasoning
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 can chicken broth
Put it all together - top a bowl with sour cream or shredded cheese

Last edited:
When I was a teen, when my mom cooked a pot roast with veggies I would count a on a dutch oven of soup waiting for ne. My wife learned from her and still to this day I look forward this day look forward to beef and veggy soup and grilled cheese sandwiches and 3 day pickles...Comfort food when I need comforting

My own French Onion Soup. (Just follow Julia Childs recipe).
My own Chicken Noodle. (ATK has a video. I use more pepper. Ta da.)
My wife's Italian Bean and Cabbage (a once a month staple)
My wife's Minestrone, Chili, and Corn Chowder (3 soups she freely adapted from somewhere else)
My old roommate's Hot and Sour Soup (The only time I've ever liked tofu)
Phil Dunn's (Lexington caterer) Chicken and Dumplings (if that's a soup)
Campbell's Tomato Soup (must be accompanied with grilled cheese)
Chinese soup dumplings

Come to think of it. The last must be first. I was helping our son move and he ordered us some Door Dash food. I'd never had soup dumplings. Wow. When I checked the recipe to make my own, I discovered that it takes a couple of days and has around 40 steps.

I've thought about getting one, but several years ago I bought a tiny food processor at (the) Walmart that I think I paid $8 for that does an amazing job and is a quick cleanup. Made shrimp & crab bisque this evening and used it to puree the onions, garlic and peppers. It was cold (mid 60s here is cold) here today and that really hit the spot.

Reactions: roguemocha
I've thought about getting one, but several years ago I bought a tiny food processor at (the) Walmart that I think I paid $8 for that does an amazing job and is a quick cleanup. Made shrimp & crab bisque this evening and used it to puree the onions, garlic and peppers. It was cold (mid 60s here is cold) here today and that really hit the spot.
Where is it that you live… mid 60s is cold?

60s in southern Florida feels like the flippin 40s in KY with the wet heavy air, imo.

People would laugh at the locals having toboggans (btw it’s only like us and Ohio that call the toboggans) and winter jackets on. But you hop on a scooter when it’s 65 and humid air, I’d rather be in KY in the 40s like I said.

Tack on top of it you’re used to 70/80/90s, 60s can be chilly.

It was starting the day in the 50s for two weeks before I came back to Lex to visit, coooooooooooold, but after these single digits, please carry me away from this winter deathscape, not sure how you people do this every year.

60s in southern Florida feels like the flippin 40s in KY with the wet heavy air, imo.

People would laugh at the locals having toboggans (btw it’s only like us and Ohio that call the toboggans) and winter jackets on. But you hop on a scooter when it’s 65 and humid air, I’d rather be in KY in the 40s like I said.

Tack on top of it you’re used to 70/80/90s, 60s can be chilly.

It was starting the day in the 50s for two weeks before I came back to Lex to visit, coooooooooooold, but after these single digits, please carry me away from this winter deathscape, not sure how you people do this every year.
Absolutely. When we first moved here 6 years ago, we had a morning low of 48. When I took the dog on his morning walk, I passed one of my neighbors who was dressed like he was going on an Artic expedition. Six years later, that's me. It was 59 this AM and I was out in a thick UK hoodie.

French onion soup is really good and pretty easy to make. The cheese can be killer if you want to make it authentic.

really good veggie soup with beef broth is good. When I worked at Panera Bread we had a really good veggie soup, then they changed it to some nasty Pesto chard soup thing that was awful. no idea what they serve now.

clam chowder is really good, especially in the fall

Reactions: rudd1 and JDHoss
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT