ADVERTISEMENT

Someone help me to make it make sense; seriously at a technical level

bbncal02

All-American
Nov 14, 2017
Hopkinsville
I’ve racked this through what little marbles I have left and I just don’t understand. And that aggregates me. I’m a science guy. I’m a technical guy. I’m not getting this.

Cal is NOT stupid. He’s an expert at PR. He used to be very good at coaching; we’ve seen him our coach a few folks. He has 50+ years of experience. That being said. Cal has to see what he did on March 17 and last night is just not going to work. Right? I know he’s stubborn but he like being at UK right? I think he does?

So why doesn’t he change things when he sees it’s not working. Everyone can see it. We see it. Matt Jones sees it. Other basketball analysts have seen it and called it out.

So why does he continue to do the same damn things? Is it strictly a pride thing? Is he too set in his ways? He’s such an innovator off the court (using one and done, NIL, transfer portal) I just can’t understand why he won’t innovate on the court.

Am I crazy? Am I just completely ignorant? Are my eyes lying to me? Seriously. I’m not being sarcastic. Someone help me understand why we can no longer win close games and why Cal refuses to change when he’s smart enough to see it?

This is not a “Cal sucks” post. It’s a “I’m trying to figure out what is broken” post. i want a serious discussion of the game and what is not happening.

He clearly thinks his system works. It's gotten him to a bunch of Final Fours, but that was 7 or 8 years ago. The game has changed dramatically since then.

He still mocks the three point/spread-it-out offense that NBA teams run because Cal thinks it's a recipe for disaster in the tournament.

The problem, however is this: his "rock fight" stuff also doesn't win him any titles either. Just look at all the games played in the 50s and 60s that we've lost in the tournament: WVU, UConn, UConn, Kansas State, Auburn (regulation score), St. Peter's (Regulation score), UNC (we had a low 60s score for the first 39 minutes before Monk and Fox hit 3 threes in the final minute).

He loves the grind fests, but he stinks at winning those too.

LAZY best describes the inability/desire to change.

begok is set in his ways--makes a ton of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$--social activism is his foremost desire--and CHANGE requires EFFORT.

face it--begok will never take another team to a ncaaT final four---it requires ability and desire and effort to ADAPT.

rr

I’ve racked this through what little marbles I have left and I just don’t understand. And that aggregates me. I’m a science guy. I’m a technical guy. I’m not getting this.

Cal is NOT stupid. He’s an expert at PR. He used to be very good at coaching; we’ve seen him our coach a few folks. He has 50+ years of experience. That being said. Cal has to see what he did on March 17 and last night is just not going to work. Right? I know he’s stubborn but he like being at UK right? I think he does?

So why doesn’t he change things when he sees it’s not working. Everyone can see it. We see it. Matt Jones sees it. Other basketball analysts have seen it and called it out.

So why does he continue to do the same damn things? Is it strictly a pride thing? Is he too set in his ways? He’s such an innovator off the court (using one and done, NIL, transfer portal) I just can’t understand why he won’t innovate on the court.

Am I crazy? Am I just completely ignorant? Are my eyes lying to me? Seriously. I’m not being sarcastic. Someone help me understand why we can no longer win close games and why Cal refuses to change when he’s smart enough to see it?

This is not a “Cal sucks” post. It’s a “I’m trying to figure out what is broken” post. i want a serious discussion of the game and what is not happening.
You are asking people to explain the inexplainable. However, the act of people hanging on to jobs, positions, titles, etc beyond their effectiveness is a frequent behavior by aging people who don't want to acknowledge that they no longer have it. Somewhat off topic, but I can remember the difficulty in keeping my grandfather out of his truck. He was an accident waiting to happen, but he truly believed that he was just as good a driver as he had ever been.

You are asking people to explain the inexplainable. However, the act of people hanging on to jobs, positions, titles, etc beyond their effectiveness is a frequent behavior by aging people who don't want to acknowledge that they no longer have it. Somewhat off topic, but I can remember the difficulty in keeping my grandfather out of his truck. He was an accident waiting to happen, but he truly believed that he was just as good a driver as he had ever been.
Its human nature its hard to except getting old and not being able to do the things we used to do.

Reactions: LmdCat

I think he doesn't always play the best players together, but he plays ones based on favoritism....

His interest really isn't winning games or titles. His interest, which he's expressed explicitly many times, is to "change lives" of these kids and their families by getting them seen by NBA scouts "creating" their own offense.

His #1 goal is not to win for Kentucky or their fans - it's to keep pumping kids into the NBA, and his "system" is completely designed around exhibiting these kids' potential so that they get the best opportunities at the next level. If we win, hey what a great side effect. But as we saw during that NIT year, it doesn't matter to him as long as kids get to the NBA and can buy their Rolls Royce's and mom's new homes.

How many times does he defer to "...but, but, but NBA BILLIONS!!!!"

He is like every other old person who has success, he is extremely stubborn and thinks he can force his way into working

It is painfully obvious. Cal likes the lifetime contract and the $10 million per year. So he does what he wants...no need to listen to the voice of reason.

He clearly thinks his system works. It's gotten him to a bunch of Final Fours, but that was 7 or 8 years ago. The game has changed dramatically since then.

He still mocks the three point/spread-it-out offense that NBA teams run because Cal thinks it's a recipe for disaster in the tournament.

The problem, however is this: his "rock fight" stuff also doesn't win him any titles either. Just look at all the games played in the 50s and 60s that we've lost in the tournament: WVU, UConn, UConn, Kansas State, Auburn (regulation score), St. Peter's (Regulation score), UNC (we had a low 60s score for the first 39 minutes before Monk and Fox hit 3 threes in the final minute).

Again I don’t mind a rock fight against a good team. And MSU is good enough to give you a game.

The evidence is there that his system is struggling.

Is it the limitations of the college court? Would Cal’s system work anywhere now?

He used to be a Master motivator, his teams would come out and emulate him. At the time a younger spry hungry coach that had something to prove, prove that his style, young talented players could win even on the big stage of UK. He did that and I feel that master motivator in him diminished. "I'm here because I can recruit the best of the best" We were never promised coaching, just recruits.

It's hard for it to make sense when you look at things like the boxscore and see Antonio Reeves was +5 last night and he only played 22 freaking minutes of a 50 minute basketball game.

This is, to me, a bigger blunder last night than the inbound defense at the end of the game. In his last 35 games before last night the guy was averaging 20 points a game.

My faith in the Wildcats is more based on the players, not Coach Cal atm. Just need to wait for them to learn how to play in their roles with Oscar and then I think theyll take off.

It's hard for it to make sense when you look at things like the boxscore and see Antonio Reeves was +5 last night and he only played 22 freaking minutes of a 50 minute basketball game.

This is, to me, a bigger blunder last night than the inbound defense at the end of the game. In his last 35 games before last night the guy was averaging 20 points a game.

My faith in the Wildcats is more based on the players, not Coach Cal atm. Just need to wait for them to learn how to play in their roles with Oscar and then I think theyll take off.
This. If was an asst I’d be “Sit down and shush Cal”. Chin must’ve been hogtied already by yes man syndrome.

Reactions: Fox2monk

He thinks different than we do. His top priority is getting kids to the pro's so they can make their families rich. Last night was a good example of what he does when he started Livingston and played Collins a ton. In our minds we think you start and play the best five. You sub when one gets tired or in foul trouble. You strive to not lose any games and if the lesser players don't get much time they don't get much time. You put your team in a position to get the highest seed possible so your team has the best chance possible to win a championship.

Because of his number one priority it makes being the best you can be as a team much harder because of the right lineups not being on the floor all the time. And he doesn't care, because his top priority is what means the most to him and his second priority of winning is just icing on the cake for him.

Reactions: RunninRichie
He thinks different than we do. His top priority is getting kids to the pro's so they can make their families rich. Last night was a good example of what he does when he started Livingston and played Collins a ton. In our minds we think you start and play the best five. You sub when one gets tired or in foul trouble. You strive to not lose any games and if the lesser players don't get much time they don't get much time. You put your team in a position to get the highest seed possible so your team has the best chance possible to win a championship.

Because of his number one priority it makes being the best you can be as a team much harder because of the right lineups not being on the floor all the time. And he doesn't care, because his top priority is what means the most to him and his second priority of winning is just icing on the cake for him.
The problem with that argument is now he’s not even doing that! Minus the living Shade we haven’t had a Top ten pick in a loooong time.

Yep and every single time we get to a game and we don’t score 71 first we lose. I was praying we hit 71 last night and couldn’t do it. These 60-58 games he doesn’t win anymore because we always falter the last minutes of the game.

While at Memphis Cal was totally out coached by Self in the 2009 title game and he had superior talent. He won a championship at UK in 2012 while barely getting by Kansas and he had superior talent. He blew title chances in 2010, 2014, 2015, 2018, 2022 when he had superior talent. Bottom line is Cal gets repeatedly out coached by teams with less talent but smarter coaches

I don’t get it either because in 2017 it seemed he embraced fast and high scoring basketball and it was fun. That was the last of it though, ever since he’s just ran the same crap. I don’t get it. I have no idea in games we can’t run why he waits until 10 seconds to run something. I still believe we can be something special this year but he has to work something out to work in our favor wether he needs to watch old tape or try something new.

So Cal isn’t stupid right? He has to be able to see that as a coach with 40+ years of experience if fans/analysts are seeing it. So we lose playing that way and he just doesn’t care?
To make this team work Oscar has to be on the floor, but you can’t play another big who can’t shot, that’s why I have said multiple times I wish calipari went after Davis jones, he could had him if he offered, you add him to this roster and that’s another scorer who can spread the floor, you go Wallace, reeves, Frederick, jones, and Oscar and you might be small but teams would have had a nightmare trying to guard that lineup

Reactions: Fox2monk
Just the opposite of the way it should be. The talent having to overcome the coaching should not be. Having the right players on the floor all the time would help make him a better coach. But jerking players around all the time just because you feel obligated to get players X and Y to the pro's is not right for the team or the fans. And it's not right for the one or two that gets their playing time messed over even though they are better players.

Wallace lead us on a 7-0 run in the 2nd half near the end. And Cal yanked him out. That's the level of competence we are dealing with here.

LAZY best describes the inability/desire to change.

begok is set in his ways--makes a ton of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$--social activism is his foremost desire--and CHANGE requires EFFORT.

face it--begok will never take another team to a ncaaT final four---it requires ability and desire and effort to ADAPT.

rr
BEGOK! Bac bac bac! Cal to the Bennies..

• Haha
Reactions: blue woman
To make this team work Oscar has to be on the floor, but you can’t play another big who can’t shot, that’s why I have said multiple times I wish calipari went after Davis jones, he could had him if he offered, you add him to this roster and that’s another scorer who can spread the floor, you go Wallace, reeves, Frederick, jones, and Oscar and you might be small but teams would have had a nightmare trying to guard that lineup
There are a couple guys we were supposedly after that are playing lights out. Baylor Schierman, Shannon at Illinois, that forward who chose Texas. All of those dudes are way more skilled than Ware, Collins, and more productive than Livingston so far(even though I still believe he can be really good.) Shannon is averaging 19.9/6.3/3.6 assists on 49.6% shooting.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
There are a couple guys we were supposedly after that are playing lights out. Baylor Schierman, Shannon at Illinois, that forward who chose Texas. All of those dudes are way more skilled than Ware, Collins, and more productive than Livingston so far(even though I still believe he can be really good.) Shannon is averaging 19.9/6.3/3.6 assists on 49.6% shooting.
If Shannon were on our team, Cal would probably forget about him

I think Cal is stubborn and set in his ways. And a mediocre X's & O's coach.
BUT... back to March 17, what did he do that was so horribly wrong? Yeah, he should have played Toppin in 2nd half, but other than that it was just that our best players could not defend nor make shots. And honestly to play a zone at that point, when they had not played it all season, probably would not have gone any better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT