ADVERTISEMENT

So who is the mystery recruit?

Reggie Hammond

Presenting Lets Go GIF by NETFLIX

I know a guy close to the program. He didn't tell me directly, but he hinted that Lola Bunny and Air Bud were a package deal and are about as committed as you can be.

My concern has definitely notched up a spot since two days ago.

Players should be falling over themselves to play for a top5 program, with 6 figure NIL deals, for an up and coming coach. There's something we're lacking right now IMO. Maybe it's just that Pope is still unproven and he needs a year?

I'm OK if thats the case, but then the clock is on. Pope can't have a few bad years or it will be over before it started. This was kind of the risk with an unproven hire: no matter how good he is, he has to get players, and the school has to get players as well. This seems to be an issue at this point.. hoping it's still getting things settled in. I'm not all that worried yet.. just slightly concerned. Might be a little more difficult than we thought.

Players should be falling over themselves to play for a top5 program, with 6 figure NIL deals, for an up and coming coach. There's something we're lacking right now IMO. Maybe it's just that Pope is still unproven and he needs a year?

I'm OK if thats the case, but then the clock is on. Pope can't have a few bad years or it will be over before it started. This was kind of the risk with an unproven hire: no matter how good he is, he has to get players, and the school has to get players as well. This seems to be an issue at this point.. hoping it's still getting things settled in. I'm not all that worried yet.. just slightly concerned. Might be a little more difficult than we thought.
None of these guys are committing yet

Dude he's been the coach 3 days and has a commit. Portal things will be happening for a bit, everyone that will enter hasn't even done so yet. Relax.

You really need to give it more like 3 weeks, not 3 days. It is way too early to start freaking out. There are a whole lot of players available and still some more big names who have not even entered the portal yet.

Reactions: TM2013
Talk about a letdown.
I don't get the seemingly abject negativity regarding anything or anyone even remotely associated with the Calipari era. I absolutely think that after this years first round exit and the cumulative postseason underachievement over the last 5+ years that it was best for both parties to go their separate ways but I don't want to nuke every bridge that was built and burn every connection to that era to cinders. It is disappointing how it had to end (as it always is) but everyone who has been here is still family for everything they've contributed to our beloved program and Orlando Antigua and Kenny Payne and every other assistant we've had under Cal are professionals. If Mark Pope thinks any of our recent assistants would be an asset to him on his new staff then absolutely he should hire/keep them. This isn't the Cultural Revolution. We don't have to wipe out every memory of the past to move forward.

Reactions: JwUKFan11
You really need to give it more like 3 weeks, not 3 days. It is way too early to start freaking out. There are a whole lot of players available and still some more big names who have not even entered the portal yet.

We certainly do NOT have 3 weeks. Or if you want to kind of assume that next year is sort of a bridge year, then fine, I'm OK with that.

But we certainly don't have that much time to make a top25ish roster for next year.. and plus, this isn't just the transfer portal. We aren't exactly landing anything with current players and current recruits. Even Perry made some fishy comments himself.

I'd like to think the UK brand would have at least gotten a 2nd or 3rd guy by now.

We certainly do NOT have 3 weeks. Or if you want to kind of assume that next year is sort of a bridge year, then fine, I'm OK with that.

But we certainly don't have that much time to make a top25ish roster for next year.. and plus, this isn't just the transfer portal. We aren't exactly landing anything with current players and current recruits. Even Perry made some fishy comments himself.

I'd like to think the UK brand would have at least gotten a 2nd or 3rd guy by now.
I thought most of us kind of assumed next year would be a bridge year.

Yes we do

Players are still scheduling visits. Some players still are not in the portal. There are still several impactful players available.

Let the cake bake

Why don’t we have 3 weeks? We have 7 months until the season and some big names reportedly will be hitting the market once they receive their last NIL check, which is very soon.

How can guys commit without visiting first? Pope has stated numerous times that he doesn’t want to trick guys into coming and that he would be very selective with who he gets based on fit to his system.

This isn’t John Calipari days where we recruit a bunch of random pieces and “hope” they fit together.

This is Mark Pope era, who has a system and recruits based on fit for that system. This is how a proper team is built.

He signed his contract Sunday and today is Wednesday, relax.

I'm surprised no one has guessed Reed Sheppard.

Let's think backwards about this, who are the best players not in the portal, but aren't locks to go to the NBA?

I thought most of us kind of assumed next year would be a bridge year.

I figured 6th-ish SEC, chance to win a s16..

We have a lot of work to do to get there. Now, if next year really is a rebuilding year, that's understandable.. but then we really need to make a splash soon after. Pope has no real accolades to work with. He can't afford several bad years in a row at UK, or his coaching at this level is nuked.

But I'm fine giving it more time. Just saying my concern level rose a bit today, when these supposed mystery recruits never came to fruition. McNeely no more visits. No Reed yet. Chandler came here before the Suns asst became byu coach. Idk.. not a great feeling so far.

With all the NIL money and talent out there to buy that's very disappointing.
Nobody that didn’t play for BYU has a clue what playing for UK under Pope next year looks like. Not even money can make that argument. There was a risk with hiring a name most recruits and current college players are not familiar with. The combination Pope/UK brand will need time to establish itself. If we get lucky fielding a competitive team this year that speeds it up.

how many days has he been on the job

how many days has he been on the job

I'd like to think we could get at least ONE of the 1,000+ transfers to come to a place like UK, for an easy $250k, to play for a pro-offense style coach, during this time.

I dont think I'm asking for a whole lot, from the program that's so popular, ESPN just used us as a bait and switch on a sports center today.

Reactions: Coach Marrow
BTW, completely irrelevantly, that picture of Mark Pope (top of page: What Mark Pope Said on Sports Center) is the worst pose ever. It makes him, a perfectly normal looking male human, look like Nosferatu.

I'd like to think we could get at least ONE of the 1,000+ transfers to come to a place like UK, for an easy $250k, to play for a pro-offense style coach, during this time.

I dont think I'm asking for a whole lot, from the program that's so popular, ESPN just used us as a bait and switch on a sports center today.

I think you are creating bogus timelines in your head and if people that dont even know you exist, don’t get things done based on your made up timeline, they have failed. On their 3rd full business day on the job. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I think you are creating bogus timelines in your head and if people that dont even know you exist, don’t get things done based on your made up timeline, they have failed. On their 3rd full business day on the job. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I think I've been pretty fair about this program, the expectations and the coaching hire. But you probably wouldn't know that seeing as how you joined this place like 7 hours ago.

I'm generally pretty good about sussing things out. And most of that, is really just not letting emotions or fandom get in the way if reality. This, for the 10th time, isn't some defcon5 disaster.. but it's at least not ideal in my eyes. Maybe for some of you, there's no cause for concern, and maybe you'll turn put to be right. We will see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT